IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Apologies, new here. I started reading at page 1 ... so much to go through :)

I think you'll find most of what you need in these last 25 pages. But good luck regardless...and welcome to CA. :)

It works, and I have been ripping my SACDs; playing them back with Audirvana Plus through a Geek-Out DAC.

My experience so far is quite good, but there are some strange issues. SACD-ripper sometimes freezes on the 'start ripping' screen. The SACD still rips, but it is not visible when ripping ends. I just have to take an educated guess and need to reboot the PS3. If I end too early the iso is incomplete. It does this on certain SACDs, so at least it is consistent. It seems to have more problems on the Japanese SHM SACDs.

Then there is an issue of playback; the multichannel iso's suffer from the characteristic DSD crackles and pops on playback. I guess I have to extract the stereo track. Here my journey continues, as my mac did not support Java anymore, I had to find the lasted version that would install. I am still looking to see whether I can get iso2dsd to work. It starts, but extraction freezes at 4%.

The other option for ripping visibility is to use the network ripper to a PC. This is how I do it and I've never had an issue with visibility or getting partial rips. It also saves a step in the workflow because you don't have to copy files from the USB stick to a hard drive to do the iso2dsf step. In fact, I run them in parallel with one iso going through Dsf conversion while another is being created by the ripper.

The other option for ripping visibility is to use the network ripper to a PC. This is how I do it and I've never had an issue with visibility or getting partial rips. It also saves a step in the workflow because you don't have to copy files from the USB stick to a hard drive to do the iso2dsf step. In fact, I run them in parallel with one iso going through Dsf conversion while another is being created by the ripper.

Also an interesting option that I will explore. Meanwhile I have managed to get iso2dsf working on my Mac. A while ago Apple disabled Java on all Mac computers due to security issues. iso2dsf requires Java. Version 8 is the latest version from Oracle and it will install on a Mac. Conversion of an iso into def files is useful, as it reduces the chances of pops associated with using larger files, plus the information on dsf files can be altered (no write restrictions). Just thought I would share this.

Agreed. Also, one can run multiple PS3s in parallel!

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I bought it with 3.55 specifically and it got updated... :(

Now 4.76 Damn it!!!!!

I remember after having it for over a year and doing zero with it I hooked it up to play GT5. I didn't think about it and updated it. Totally forgetting about the firmware deal.

Oh well, it is now listed on Ebay and I just want it gone. I am not concerned about the money so much as I just want it gone.

Sony PlayStation 3 80 GB Piano Black Console CECH E01 | eBay

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Christopher

Keep your chin up. Sometimes you can find an appropriate console quite cheep at eBay :) .

As probably thousandof people have done before me, thanks to ted_b and Jesus Rodriguezfor their wonderful effort. I took the time to read some info fromthis thread (and search for what I was having trouble understanding).I purchased a 3.55 (SACD capable) old PS3 from e-Bay and got itripping my first SACD in less than 60 minutes.

I bought an exasounde28 last summer, and this is a fantastic purchase for me since Ireally like multi-channel audio. (2 channel folks, this is fine you may not have the space, the interest or the $$$, but If you have the occasion please try to listen to a good multi-channel set-up you maybe surprised). Me in addition to really liking the better`acoustic cues`, I own QUAD ESLs (2905,2805, 988) so having a bunch really help with total volume on large orchestra music.

But one disappointment for me has been the lack of good multi-channel downloads (I know about 2L… channel classics, nativeDSD etc) and I did bought a few. But they are expensive to download (I am Canadian so the current state of the can $ does not help).

But even sidestepping the $$$ issue, let me give two other examples:

1- In my humble opinion the best Berlioz Requiem version is the Norrington one, is it available to download anywhere? For any price? no.

2- I want to purchase the album of clarinet player Martin Frost Dances to a BlackPipe, I can download a high-res PCM version but not the multi-channel SACD.

So in the end the PS3 routes makes a lot of sense, I can rip my 300+ SACD collection,and purchase a few more (like the Martin Frost recording) and dowload when available.

I bought an exasounde28 last summer, and this is a fantastic purchase for me since Ireally like multi-channel audio. (2 channel folks, this is fine you may not have the space, the interest or the $$$, but If you have the occasion please try to listen to a good multi-channel set-up you maybe surprised). Me in addition to really liking the better`acoustic cues`, I own QUAD ESLs (2905,2805, 988) so having a bunch really help with total volume on large orchestra music.

But one disappointment for me has been the lack of good multi-channel downloads (I know about 2L… channel classics, nativeDSD etc) and I did bought a few. But they are expensive to download (I am Canadian so the current state of the can $ does not help).

The good news is that 12 of the 30 music downloads sites with DSD listed in the DSD Database also have Multichannel DSD.

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

At least as for the Berlioz (SA-CD.net - Berlioz: Requiem - Norrington) you can buy and rip it.

Sorry if I was not clear (English is not my mother tongue, but to be honest my French writing is not great either!).

I do own this SACD and of course it is already ripped, and it sounds gorgeous! I meant that if I did not bought the old PS3 I would have had no way to download it anywhere even if I am ready to pay for it again.

But this is what I will do for the Martin Frost recording.

Of course Kal thanks for your massive efforts for all `multi-channel enthusiasm' and all the good info you have provided over the years. No I did not know this site, looks interesting!

And thanks also to bmoura for the reference to the spreadsheet. I think I accessed this one before, but I never realized there was other tabs including the list of dsd download sites. Oops pretty dumb! but now I know, thanks!

Just to finish on a good note, I played (still play for fun) the clarinet for many years. I highly recommend this recording (of course I already purchased it and listen to it several times.

https://cobra.nativedsd.com/albums/COBRA0049-harmoniemusik-from-mozarts-favourite-operas

This is an album of Mozart transcriptions for 2 clarinet, 2 bassoons, 2 french horns (and double-bass) on period instrument, beautifully played and recorded.

Happy listening!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I have a few SACD derived ISO files that various friends have made from my original discs. I turns out that some of my portable players can play back the ISO files directly, but some need to have the individual songs extracted. I have done so using both a commercial audiophile program and some user developed tools. In both cases, the extracted files seem to have some pops and clicks throughout the files when played back. Is this evidence that my playback units are running out of horsepower to play the files and that is the source of the noise, or I am I doing something wrong when I do the extractions? Thanks for some input.

If you extracted to dsf with anything earlier than sacd_extract v38 then clicks between tracks are due to known bugs. Re-extract using Jesus's ISO2DSD since it has incorporated v38 for many months now

Some dacs, however, have a poor time with DSD track changes (they switch to pcm) and use timed mutes, etc.

Hi all.

I have a few SACD derived ISO files that various friends have made from my original discs. I turns out that some of my portable players can play back the ISO files directly, but some need to have the individual songs extracted. I have done so using both a commercial audiophile program and some user developed tools. In both cases, the extracted files seem to have some pops and clicks throughout the files when played back. Is this evidence that my playback units are running out of horsepower to play the files and that is the source of the noise, or I am I doing something wrong when I do the extractions? Thanks for some input.

Out of curiosity, which portable players support SACD iso playback? I'm familiar with Kamerton app for Android but based on my experience it can't play DST compressed DSD files and such iso's.

Hi, does anyone out there know where an sacd ripping PS3 is for sale!? I've been searching for a fortnight and nothing. If any of you reading this are considering selling, then I'm open to all suggestions on price. I'm actually just wanting to buy it so I can rip one sacd of mine, it's literally got to be stupidly rare as you can't even google for it. Anyway, the album is Brandon Flowers, Flamingo. Just to add, if anyone has any SACDs of his other album or his stuff with The Killers then let me know as I will offer good money for them. Sorry for kind of barging in btw xD

Hi, does anyone out there know where an sacd ripping PS3 is for sale!? I've been searching for a fortnight and nothing. If any of you reading this are considering selling, then I'm open to all suggestions on price. I'm actually just wanting to buy it so I can rip one sacd of mine, it's literally got to be stupidly rare as you can't even google for it. Anyway, the album is Brandon Flowers, Flamingo. Just to add, if anyone has any SACDs of his other album or his stuff with The Killers then let me know as I will offer good money for them. Sorry for kind of barging in btw xD

Not that rare. Go back a few pages. I posted a link to an eBay source in Dec, if you want to add the firmware yourself, and another link in Jan, to a guy who will sell you one ready to rip with.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Not that rare. Go back a few pages. I posted a link to an eBay source in Dec, if you want to add the firmware yourself, and another link in Jan, to a guy who will sell you one ready to rip with.

Thanks for the reply, is he located around EU though? As I live in the UK and I just don't want to slapped with import charges

Thanks for the reply, is he located around EU though? As I live in the UK and I just don't want to slapped with import charges

Unfortunately, they are both in the USA.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Hi, I have what I believe to be a SACD-R ISO file. I tried to extract the files in the iso using Sonore iso2dsd, but the program gives me an error saying the ISO is not a scarlet book file. Are SACD-R files scarlet book? I also tried using sacd_extract_gui-winforms-dotnet.exe and that also didn't work. Anything else I can try? Thank you!

Hi, I have what I believe to be a SACD-R ISO file. I tried to extract the files in the iso using Sonore iso2dsd, but the program gives me an error saying the ISO is not a scarlet book file. Are SACD-R files scarlet book? I also tried using sacd_extract_gui-winforms-dotnet.exe and that also didn't work. Anything else I can try? Thank you!

SACD-R's are SACDs that are copied from ISOs to a DVD-R/W (and some SACD/universal players can play them as SACDs).

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players. (Note: Oppos are now off the list since a firmware update of 2013 or so).

They are often used as backup or archived SACDs. They should be extractable, as they are legit ISOs (once copied to a drive as an ISO). However, there are LOTS of unauthorized (no pun intended) authored SACD ISOs out there that are DVD-A copies that used some 3rd party authoring tool. They are not scarletbook and will not extract.

SACD-R's are SACDs that are copied from ISOs to a DVD-R/W (and some SACD/universal players can play them as SACDs).

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players. (Note: Oppos are now off the list since a firmware update of 2013 or so).

They are often used as backup or archived SACDs. They should be extractable, as they are legit ISOs (once copied to a drive as an ISO). However, there are LOTS of unauthorized (no pun intended) authored SACD ISOs out there that are DVD-A copies that used some 3rd party authoring tool. They are not scarletbook and will not extract.

Thanks Ted. What can I do/try to play it? Burn to DVD-R and try to play it on a physical SACD player? I think I have an old Denon player somewhere...

Thanks Ted. What can I do/try to play it? Burn to DVD-R and try to play it on a physical SACD player? I think I have an old Denon player somewhere...

What is the title? It's likely not a SACD-R so a universal won't play it. Maybe JRiver will.

If you extracted to dsf with anything earlier than sacd_extract v38 then clicks between tracks are due to known bugs. Re-extract using Jesus's ISO2DSD since it has incorporated v38 for many months now

Some dacs, however, have a poor time with DSD track changes (they switch to pcm) and use timed mutes, etc.

This worked very well, thanks

As an answer to Grill, the FIIO X3 II can play SACD ISO files directly along with DSF files. It has native processing, so the DSD files are not converted to PCM before playback but are processed directly.

This worked very well, thanks

As an answer to Grill, the FIIO X3 II can play SACD ISO files directly along with DSF files. It has native processing, so the DSD files are not converted to PCM before playback but are processed directly.

That's great, thanks for the info. I guess FIIO can't cope with the DST compression either. Or can it? Too bad that I can't listen to the stereo area of my SACD's in iso (in my archive) form from my smart phone if the stereo area is DST compressed.

That's great, thanks for the info. I guess FIIO can't cope with the DST compression either. Or can it? Too bad that I can't listen to the stereo area of my SACD's in iso (in my archive) form from my smart phone if the stereo area is DST compressed.

Grill,

To be honest I am not clear what you are suggesting.

What I meant to say is that the FIIO is great at playing both SACD ISO files and also extracted DSD formatted files. And better yet is actually decodes the SACD DSD files "natively" without converting them to PCM. So the fidelity is terrific. Now that I can do individual song extractions properly using Ted's suggestion, everything is even better.

As far as a phone goes I suspect you can use the phone as a bit bucket to send the files to your external DAC. There may be programs to play DSD on the phone itself, but most phones both IOS and Android are internally limited to 48khz and 24 bits. So the resolution is likely to be mediocre at best. You would probably be wasting phone storage space on the large files required by DSD.