IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

1. Check program installation on the PS3.

2. You probably need to use a PS3 controller. I use one.

3. Change it to match the PS3 address.

Thanks again, Kal, for your patience. At this point, I believe I have done the steps both you and tmtomh provided. However, still missing something...

1. It is a borrowed PS3 which already had software (v0.30) installed. Beyond that do not have a clue why.

When SACD Ripper shows SACD screen, Output shows NO DEVICE even tho ethernet cable connected to router.

Where; do I change output?

FWIW, under Output line, the Format is indicated and can be changed from ISO between ISO, DSDIFF, or DSD by using ESC on keyboard which apparently equates to "O" but NO DEVICE shows irrespective of Format selected. (ENTER equates to X on the PS3 screen.) However, scrolling thru the Formats does not change output.

Does the Format setting on the PS3 matter?

2. PS3 did not come with controller that why thought I would try USB keyboard.

3. I did put the IP address that I found for the PS3 into the ISO2DSD window.

What is supposed to be entered into ISO2DSD in the PORT, fifth, box which is defaulted to 2002?

Thanks again, Kal, for your patience. At this point, I believe I have done the steps both you and tmtomh provided. However, still missing something...

1. It is a borrowed PS3 which already had software (v0.30) installed. Beyond that do not have a clue why.

When SACD Ripper shows SACD screen, Output shows NO DEVICE even tho ethernet cable connected to router.

I have no idea but I wonder about v0.30 firmware. Are you sure?

FWIW, under Output line, the Format is indicated and can be changed from ISO between ISO, DSDIFF, or DSD by using ESC on keyboard which apparently equates to "O" but NO DEVICE shows irrespective of Format selected. (ENTER equates to X on the PS3 screen.) However, scrolling thru the Formats does not change output.

Dunno. Never saw or used a format setting on the PS3.

N/C

What is supposed to be entered into ISO2DSD in the PORT, fifth, box which is defaulted to 2002?

Leave it alone.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post

The SACD Ripper installed is v0.30.

Do not know what version PS3 firmware is but will find out if how-to provided.

Maybe someone else knows?! When I open SACD Ripper and insert SACD, the PS3 screen goes Black and lists the following:

Output: NO DEVICE

Format: ISO

Title: X

Artist:Y

Version: 01.20

Created: 2010-12-15

Area: 0 (zero)

Speakers: 2ch.

Encoding: DSD 3 in 14

Tracks: 21

click X to start ripping, O (letter) to change output

OK

White line________________________________

X Enter O Back

NOTE: IF I hit Enter, get message that "Ripping aborted. You do not have enough disc space on [(null) (0.00GB available)]

N/C

Maybe someone knows what keyboard entries equate to X and O?!

Leave it alone.

OK

The SACD Ripper installed is v0.30.

Maybe someone else knows?! When I open SACD Ripper and insert SACD, the PS3 screen goes Black and lists the following:

OK

X Enter O Back

NOTE: IF I hit Enter, get message that "Ripping aborted. You do not have enough disc space on [(null) (0.00GB available)]

N/C

Maybe someone knows what keyboard entries equate to X and O?!

Leave it alone.

OK

BTW, when I hit EXECUTE in ISO2DSD, I get the message:

"Failed to connect.

libsacdread: Can't open (IP address) for reading.

1. The SACD Ripper installed is v0.30.

There is a screen on the PS3 SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > SYSTEM INFORMATION that will tell you. It must be v3.55 or lower. Anything higher is simply not compatible. This seems likely to be your issue.

Did you install the keys for the sacd ripper? I am surprised if that worked.

P.S.: There is ripper software much newer than v0.30.

Kal Rubinson

There is a screen on the PS3 SETTINGS > SYSTEM SETTINGS > SYSTEM INFORMATION that will tell you. It must be v3.55 or lower. Anything higher is simply not compatible. This seems likely to be your issue.

Did you install the keys for the sacd ripper? I am surprised if that worked.

P.S.: There is ripper software much newer than v0.30.

Confirmed that PS3 firmware IS v3.55.

System as configured has worked fine for ripping several dozen SACDs. Issue arose when I tried to implement procedure for using PC and hard drive to avoid thumbdrive issue with files >4GB needing to be joined.

My router has 1 input port which is connected to my ISP modem. It has 4 ports, 2 of which are connected to my 2 PCs. When told to connect PS3 to "server", I attached to ethernet cable from it to one of the unused (output?) router ports.

Is this why ISO2DSD is not "seeing" the PS3?

Assuming this is the problem, would it be better to connect the PS3 directly to the PC via ethernet OR disconnect the ISP connection and attach the PS3?

PPS: Appreciate the heads up and will consider once I have current config running with the PC.

Good.

My router has 1 input port which is connected to my ISP modem. It has 4 ports, 2 of which are connected to my 2 PCs. When told to connect PS3 to "server", I attached to ethernet cable from it to one of the unused (output?) router ports.

Not using ISO2DSD: Do either of your PCs see that the PS3 is on the network with them? Can the PS3 see the PCs or the internet?

Kal Rubinson

Good.

Assumed this since ripping works fine using thumbdrive as long as ISO < ~4GB

Not using ISO2DSD: Do either of your PCs see that the PS3 is on the network with them? Can the PS3 see the PCs or the internet?

Do not know but based on error message that I get when I "Execute" ISO23DSD, i.e., "Failed to connect.

libsacdread: Can't open (IP address) for reading.", I would guess not but do not know how to verify either PCs seeing PS3.

As to PS3 seeing PC, again I would guess not since when I insert SACD, PS3 indicates NO DEVICE for Output as reported in post #2704.

Can I connect PS3 directly to PC via ethernet to avoid (potential) router setup issue?

Thank you for your patience.

Do not know but based on error message that I get when I "Execute" ISO23DSD...

I meant what I said: Without using ISO2DSD, can any of these devices see each other as being on the LAN?

Kal Rubinson

I meant what I said: Without using ISO2DSD, can any of these devices see each other as being on the LAN?

My apologies but, as indicated in previous post, while error messages would suggest no, I do not know how to verify whether...

1) PC sees PS3

OR

2) PS3 sees PC

My apologies but, as indicated in previous post, while error messages would suggest no, I do not know how to verify whether...

1) PC sees PS3

Go to Network in your start menu and see what pops up.

OR

2) PS3 sees PC

No PS3 here but there is somewhere on the menu a way to see whether it is connected to the LAN and what else is on it.

Kal Rubinson

1) PC sees PS3

Going to Network Connections only shows that there is a local network, not what is attached.

By going to <http://(router address), I was able to determine that both the PC and PS3 are connected to the network.

However, when I open ISO2DSDgui.exe and make the selections previously indicated, enter the PS3 IP address with 2002 in the last box as you indicated should remain unchanged, and hit EXECUTE, I get the message...

"Failed to connect.

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.107:2002 for reading".

This would suggest that PC is not seeing the PS3.

OR

2) PS3 sees PC

No PS3 here but there is somewhere on the menu a way to see whether it is connected to the LAN and what else is on it.

When I check the PS3 SETTINGS AND CONNECTION, the following is indicated:

Internet Connection: Enabled

Connection Method: Wired

Speed & Duplex: Auto Detect

Address Settings: Automatic

IP Address: 192.168.1.107

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Router: 192.168.1.1

Primary DNS: 68.105.XX.XX

Secondary DNS: 68.105.XX.XX

MAC Address: (correct for PS3 attached_)

MTU: Automatic

Proxy Server: Do Not Use

UPnP: Available

However, when I run Internet Connection Test, I get the result:

IP Address: Succeeded

Internet Connection: Failed

I have done the Test, I get the same results both with and without PC firewall enabled which indicates PS3 is NOT seeing the PC.

Not sure what else I can provide to trouble shoot. I/we are missing something simple. It might be helpful if someone using a Linksys router could go through the Connections menu starting with EASY or CUSTOM, and provide the settings used.

Seems like everyone has moved on to using Oppo, Pioneer, etc., universal players as noted in sister thread.

1) PC sees PS3

Going to Network Connections only shows that there is a local network, not what is attached.

By going to <http://(router address), I was able to determine that both the PC and PS3 are connected to the network.

However, when I open ISO2DSDgui.exe and make the selections previously indicated, enter the PS3 IP address with 2002 in the last box as you indicated should remain unchanged, and hit EXECUTE, I get the message...

"Failed to connect.

Does the PS3 screen indicate that the SACD loaded into the PS3 at this time?

Kal Rubinson

1) PC sees PS3

However, when I open ISO2DSDgui.exe after inserting an SACD and make the selections previously indicated, enter the PS3 IP address with 2002 in the last box as you indicated should remain unchanged, and hit EXECUTE, I get the message...

"Failed to connect.

Does the PS3 screen indicate that the SACD loaded into the PS3 at this time?

[When I first open SACD Ripper even before executing ISO2DSD and insert SACD, the PS3 screen goes Black and lists the following:

OK

X Enter O Back/COLOR]

[When I first open SACD Ripper even before executing ISO2DSD and insert SACD, the PS3 screen goes Black and lists the following:

OK

X Enter O Back/COLOR]

I have never seen a screen like that. I see:

SACD Daemon 0.37

IP Address: 192.168.1.21 (port 2002)

Client: None (or Connected when ripping starts)

Disc: Empty (or Inserted when disc is inserted)

Kal Rubinson

SACD Daemon 0.37

Similarly, Kal, I have NEVER seen the screen you document.

Using a USB thumbdrive (which has worked fine other than the issue with >4GB ISOs), when I insert SACD, the PS3 screen goes Black and lists the following as I scroll down:

Output: /dev_usb00049.48GB (dependent on what capacity is inserted...)

OK

X Enter O Back/COLOR]

SACD Daemon 0.37

Rereading Teb_b's How-To v4.0, I think I may have found the problem. I need to verify if PS3 operation via LAN has been set up but it looks like PS3 may never have been configured for use with LAN per Step 5 (Not 4A) of the instructions. I will try the LAN ripping process to see if it works. Failing that, I am going to download fresh copies of the various folders and install but have a couple (more) of questions...

1) When I download ISO2DSD from Sonore link, which appears to replace the original SACD-Extract, I do not see "Extract ISO via Network.bat" in either folder; Where do I obtain this *.bat file?

2) If I run SACD-Ripper as instructed in Section 4, Steps 1-4 and and run in "SERVER MODE" as in Section 5, can I go revert (Yes, I know...why? For whatever reason) to ripping to USB?

Rereading Teb_b's How-To v4.0, I think I may have found the problem. I need to verify if PS3 operation via LAN has been set up but it looks like PS3 may never have been configured for use with LAN per Step 5 (Not 4A) of the instructions. I will try the LAN ripping process to see if it works. Failing that, I am going to download fresh copies of the various folders and install but have a couple (more) of questions...
Good luck.

1) When I download ISO2DSD from Sonore link, which appears to replace the original SACD-Extract, I do not see "Extract ISO via Network.bat" in either folder; Where do I obtain this *.bat file?
Only SACD_Extract needs to be in the same directory as ISO2DSD which works as a GUI for it. No BAT files.

2) If I run SACD-Ripper as instructed in Section 4, Steps 1-4 and and run in "SERVER MODE" as in Section 5, can I go revert (Yes, I know...why? For whatever reason) to ripping to USB?
In my experience, yes, but I get a screen that lets me make the choice.

Kal Rubinson

Good luck.

Updated PS3 to Ripper v0.37 without issue but had to figure out how to access various options with keyboard since have no PS3 controller or keyboard. This site has a "decoder ring" for kb entries...

PS3 Keyboard Command list - PlayStation® Forums

Only SACD_Extract needs to be in the same directory as ISO2DSD which works as a GUI for it. No BAT files.

Found out that the whole ripping process is initiated by double-clicking the ISO2DSD_gui.exe and it will not start without SACD Extractor.exe present. Do not understand this since SACD Extractor can be opened independently to convert ISOs to DSDs?!

In my experience, yes, but I get a screen that lets me make the choice.

Still need to revisit USB as target location.

BOTTOM LINE (literally and figuratively), I AM DOING MY HAPPY DANCE! Thanks to all who participated in this mission quest.

Found out that the whole ripping process is initiated by double-clicking the ISO2DSD_gui.exe and it will not start without SACD Extractor.exe present. Do not understand this since SACD Extractor can be opened independently to convert ISOs to DSDs?!
If you use SACD-extract by itself, you need to configure it with a batch file. ISO2DSD is just a GUI for it so that you can run it with batch files.

Kal Rubinson

If you use SACD-extract by itself, you need to configure it with a batch file. ISO2DSD is just a GUI for it so that you can run it with batch files.

Not arguing with you, Kal, but I have SACD-Extract folder in Program Files and, while folder does not contain ISO2DSD_gui or any *.bat files, it works fine for extracting DSF from ISO files. In fact, I used it to extract the 2 large ISOs which, prior to ripping to LAN, had been problematic.

What am I missing?

PS: ...and, yes, you can revert to ripping to USB but boy do you have to be fast on that opening screen!

Not arguing with you, Kal, but I have SACD-Extract folder in Program Files and, while folder does not contain ISO2DSD_gui or any *.bat files, it works fine for extracting DSF from ISO files. In fact, I used it to extract the 2 large ISOs which, prior to ripping to LAN, had been problematic.

Nothing if it works. I keep both on my 2Tb portable USB drives for ripping and clean-up the ISO files before transferring them to the NAS'.

PS: ...and, yes, you can revert to ripping to USB but boy do you have to be fast on that opening screen!
Yup. Best if you anticipate it.

Kal Rubinson

Nothing if it works. I keep both on my 2Tb portable USB drives for ripping and clean-up the ISO files before transferring them to the NAS'.

Yes, nothing like success.

I too do file management on a "working machine". I just replaced the 1TB HDD in my music server PC with a 2TB. I bought an external case for the 1TB HDD and may use that to buggy load files to server.

Yup. Best if you anticipate it.

It IS quick. Missed it the first time and had to reload the Ripper.

BTW, is there some way to get back to the Ripper opening screen w/o rebooting the PS3?