IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Just bought a new Chord 2Qute DAC and am trying to back up my SACD collection so I can use the Chord.

I'm using the SACD Ripper V0.37 on a PS3 but am finding it really unreliable - often won't recognise the SACD.

I'd really appreciate access to the old .pkg files if someone could help.

• 6 months later...

Hi, I'm new to the site, looking for an upto date set of instructions for ripping from a PS3 with firmware 3.55, I've searched around but a lot of the links in existing instructions are no longer  working, would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot!

Here is a Mr Wickeds extract (I think the latest)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrpqjmmiaibc2xl/sacd_extract.rar?dl=0

Here are the PS3 keys

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wzs9f33bahpnnz/ps3free-ps3keys.zip?dl=0

Here is the OtherOS

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4ybwh0ukh46ubn/CFW355-OTHEROS%2B%2B.zip?dl=0

My out of date but still viable PS3 guide is below in my signature

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to update using the OtherOS, but I got the message stating that my OS was already upto date (and hence the OtherOS was not installed, effectively because my PS3 is already on standard 3.55), this scenario is covered to in ted_b's guide, but the link there to fix it no longer seems to work, any chance of a link to the fix for this, thanks!

Yes and these are the relevant lines:

If the steps above did not work for you, then you are probably on 3.55 already.
  You will have to do a recovery menu mode installation:

1: Plug a USB stick into your computer
  2: Copy the custom firmware file that you downloaded to a USB memory
  stick as /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP.
  3: Plug the USB stick into your PS3
  4: Power down the PS3 through the menu
  5: Now press and HOLD the power button, the system will startup and shutdown
  again
  6: Release the power button, then press & HOLD power again, you'll hear one
  beep
  followed by two consecutive beeps
  7: Release power then follow the on-screen instructions. You're now in the
  recovery menu
  8: Connect the USB device and select "System Update."
  9: Accept Conditions and Follow the instructions

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Joe789 said:

I tried to update using the OtherOS, but I got the message stating that my OS was already upto date (and hence the OtherOS was not installed, effectively because my PS3 is already on standard 3.55), this scenario is covered to in ted_b's guide, but the link there to fix it no longer seems to work, any chance of a link to the fix for this, thanks!

You are able to rip from the gameos. If you install sacd_ripper.pkg. There has been no need to install otheros for along time. However, if you wish to install otheros you just need to install from safe mode. Holding the power button down for 3 beeps then release. The system will shut back down. Then hold the power button down for 4 beeps and release. This will bring you to safe mode. A screen with options 1 -6. You will need to install any 3.55 custom firmware to install the sacd_ripper.pkg. Since you already have 3.55 otheros that will work fine.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I am new at this forum. I was tweaking my PS3 a couple of years ago and many thanks to all developers that worked on this project.

Due to the very slow ripping process I would like to let the sacd_extract-Client run on a raspberryPI (2). I managed to get the Source code compiled to a degree of almost 100%. But when the compiler tries to link all to an executable, I got failure messages, regarding the allocation of memory (malloc.h Library). 

Before I further deep down to c-code tweaking, I would like to know, if anybody tried this before and if it is possible at all.

Thanks an best regard

Frank

• 2 months later...

Just got a new SACD today and tried to rip it. I've successfully ripped several hundred SACDs to-date, so I know my setup works. I powered up the PS3, checked the new IP address, and inserted my SACD. Then I went to my PC (I rip in network mode) and edited the extract ISO via network .bat file to add the new IP address. When I double clicked the bat file (after closing and saving the changes), the DOS window briefly opens but then I get a Windows message that says the program has stopped working and they are looking for a fix.

I have been successfully running the  0.3.6 version for a number of years, but I went ahead and downloaded the latest 0.3.8 version of the sacd_extract program but it didn't help. 

Any suggestions? My Win10 machine updates automatically, so is it possible Microsoft has made a change that broke the sacd_extract pgm? Has anyone run it lately? I ripped a couple of SACDs within the last month but there could have easily been a Win update since then.

1 hour ago, ksalno said:

Any suggestions? My Win10 machine updates automatically, so is it possible Microsoft has made a change that broke the sacd_extract pgm? Has anyone run it lately? I ripped a couple of SACDs within the last month but there could have easily been a Win update since then.

Yes but I use it with the ISO2DSD user interface rather than the .bat files.

Kal Rubinson

16 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes but I use it with the ISO2DSD user interface rather than the .bat files.

My fallback was to use ISO2DSD to rip from an Oppo 105 but I still wondering my sacd_extract isn't working on my Windows PC. Can you use ISO2DSD to rip from a PS3?

I've never connected my PS3 to the network for fear of an unintended firmware update. Instead I connect a USB hard drive to the PS3 and rip the ISO to it (I keep all ISOs). Then I disconnect the hard drive from the PS3, connect it to my mac, and run ISO2DSD on my mac to transcode into DSF files on my mac. Finally I use Yate to add tagging, artwork to the DSF files.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

1 hour ago, ksalno said:

My fallback was to use ISO2DSD to rip from an Oppo 105 but I still wondering my sacd_extract isn't working on my Windows PC. Can you use ISO2DSD to rip from a PS3?

Yes.  I have a pair of PS3s that I used this way with a single laptop running two instances of ISO2DSD.  Works just like using the Oppos which I prefer because they are quieter (and have other uses).  PS3s are no longer in use but could be.

Kal Rubinson

23 hours ago, miguelito said:

I've never connected my PS3 to the network for fear of an unintended firmware update. Instead I connect a USB hard drive to the PS3 and rip the ISO to it (I keep all ISOs). Then I disconnect the hard drive from the PS3, connect it to my mac, and run ISO2DSD on my mac to transcode into DSF files on my mac. Finally I use Yate to add tagging, artwork to the DSF files.

My 3.5.5 fw PS3 has been connected to my home network since I got it and its never been a problem in terms of auto updating.

22 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Yes.  I have a pair of PS3s that I used this way with a single laptop running two instances of ISO2DSD.  Works just like using the Oppos which I prefer because they are quieter (and have other uses).  PS3s are no longer in use but could be.

Kal, have you heard any SQ difference between a PS3 rip and an Oppo rip? I have my PS3 at my desktop workstation, so it is more convenient to use. My Oppo is in an equipment rack in another room but I'm willing to get a little exercise if there is a good reason :-)