IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Quick update - v0.30 worked perfectly in ripping the Fischer Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto and Kreizberg Dvorak 7th Symphony discs.

Unfortunately, although I was able to get a set of multichannel dff files from the Fischer Mendelssohn Piano Trios disc, I'm not able to get an iso from the disc nor are the resulting dff files able to be converted to dsf's using the DFFtoDSF tool, but having dff's will work once I get the tagging set up for each of my servers.

Ted - thanks again for your help in making this possible.

Hi,

First and foremost, thank you very much to Ted and everyone who has created this wonderful tool. It is quite literally a game changer for someone like me with a portable music player that is DSD natively compatible.

I have got the required PS3, and the OtherOS all installed. Got the SACD-ripper installed too. And I have my 1st SACD ripping! However, it is not the first disc I tried. For some reason the program will not recognise The War of the World SACD set as valid discs. I know that they are ok and they are indeed SACDs, as the PS3 OS will play both the multi-channel and stereo tracks. What could be the issue please?

Hi Ted,

I noticed that a dsd file extracted form iso file with iso2dsd/ Windows v7 - differs form that extracted with iso2dsd/Linux v3.

What are the newest version of iso2dsd for Linux and Windows?

Many thanks!

Hi Ted,

I noticed that a dsd file extracted form iso file with iso2dsd/ Windows v7 - differs form that extracted with iso2dsd/Linux v3.

Many thanks!

Jesus has both the Windows and OSX versions on his thread updated to include the latest sacd_extract, which is v38. Dunno anything about the Linux history, sorry.

Hi Ted,

Many thanks!

The Linux version includes sacd_extract 0.37 (certain errors when extracting dsf)

You can change the sacd_extract binary for the latest version (0.38). You can compile from source or using this binary (compiled by me).

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

@DMM - I tried your binary and didn't work in my Unbuntu 14.04. LTS 64bit. I already compiled myself sacd_extract and gives the exact length of file as iso2dsd/Linux v3.

The source code is taken from:

sacd-ripper - Revision 397: /trunk sacd-ripper

The binary works, will be a permissions problem?... Open a terminal in the directory containing the program and try

./sacd_extract --help

What response you get? If the binary is not recognized, you may not have execute permissions... In the same Terminal (in the directory that contains sacd_extract) try

chmod +x sacd_extract

And then again

./sacd_extract --help

Now what answers the Terminal?

googlecode no longer updated (you compiled version 0.37). The project is now hosted on GitHub

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

The binary works, will be a permissions problem?... Open a terminal in the directory containing the program and try
./sacd_extract --help

What response you get? If the binary is not recognized, you may not have execute permissions...

Yes, It was an execute permission problem. Now It works ok your binary.

Thanks DMM.

Now, I can confirm that the dsd file length is the same in Linux and Windows.

Ted! Happy to see you here! I'm using your guide in the hope to rip my SACDs from the CECHA PS3 with version 3.15 installed but have run into a problem. I've copied the SACD ripper files and the PS3 Keys into the root directory on a USB flash drive, which I then insert into a USB port in the front of the PS3. However, whenever I go the Game part of the menu, I don't get the “Install pkg file” option.

I have rebooted the PS3 and moved the USB flash drive to different USB slots to no avail.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Ted! Happy to see you here! I'm using your guide in the hope to rip my SACDs from the CECHA PS3 with version 3.15 installed but have run into a problem. I've copied the SACD ripper files and the PS3 Keys into the root directory on a USB flash drive, which I then insert into a USB port in the front of the PS3. However, whenever I go the Game part of the menu, I don't get the “Install pkg file” option.

I have rebooted the PS3 and moved the USB flash drive to different USB slots to no avail.

You probably have OS version 3.55 and you will have to use the alternative install procedure. I had to do that with one of my PS3s.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Bayou, your PS3 should not still be reading 3.15 when you get to this step (installing the .pkg). You should have successfully updated the OS to the hacked 3.55 OtherOS first. And pay close attention to the renaming (folders PS3/UPDATE all caps, etc).

Hello,

I have succesfully ripped a dozen of SACD of my collection without issues, but yesterday I have found for the first time a problematic disc.

It is a Sarah Vaughan old recording (Verve - Universal Music 0602498607794).

It is a SACD only disc (no hybrid with red book layer).

It plays fine in my disc player and in the PS3 too, but the sacd ripper package does not recognize the disc ejecting it.

Any advice or suggestion?

Thanks a lot for all,

ciao.

Andrea :)

Andrea,

maybe trying an older build of the ripper package might solve the problem...

PM me if you need some of the older builds.

Cheers,

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

[quote name=

It plays fine in my disc player and in the PS3 too, but the sacd ripper package does not recognize the disc ejecting it.

Any advice or suggestion?

[/quote]

Well if the CD is fine maybe it's just the java GUI that's confused?...perhaps try from the command line?...the following will generate an iso image at a linux prompt for instance, is there an 'sacd_extract.exe' you could try?

~/bin/sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.38:2002

Well if the CD is fine maybe it's just the java GUI that's confused?...perhaps try from the command line?...the following will generate an iso image at a linux prompt for instance, is there an 'sacd_extract.exe' you could try?

~/bin/sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.38:2002

Hello,

thanks for the answer,

do you mean that in the PS3 OS there is the possibility to open a command line shell?

I'm noob regarding this aspect, can you please explain to me how to have access to a command prompt in the PS3?

The command above does the full rip of a SACD disc inserted inside the PS3 player as iso file stored on the connected USB key?

Thanks again,

Andrea

The command above does the full rip of a SACD disc inserted inside the PS3 player as iso file stored on the connected USB key?

...hmmmm, well no, not exactly... the command string: 'sacd_extract -I -i192.168.1.38:2002' will generate an iso image file on a linux PC that would otherwise have run the java GUI... never tried the USB option, it always seemed easier to just rip the CD across the network rather than fuss around with a USB stick...

...so in my case for example, that would mean my music server running linux talking to the PS3 via the local network connection. The PS3 with the OtherOS app runs on the PS3 as if a game, asks you to choose server or local mode, and then just shows that same simple text screen that will acknowledge that an SACD is inserted, but not do much else...

The point being that either way, after starting up the PS3 piece, all the other action takes place on whichever PC -- linux/mac/win -- you are using. I hear you saying that you don't have a lot of experience, but if you have the PS3 part working and the client app with java part installed in whatever PC you are using, you are doing fine.

My suggestion was to check for the mac/win equivalent of the linux executable 'sacd_extract' and see if you can run that without the java front end...the behavior you reported seems anomalous so using the command directly without the java piece may yield different results..

...and given the many different versions of java that are out there, it seemed good basic troubleshooting to take it out of the equation if we can...and as to your other question, getting to a command prompt on a PS3 is a whole 'nother conversation, and really won't help at this point, so we should probably stay focused on the real issue.

I want to thank again all the friends here for the precious help and the friendly support offered.

In particular I want to thank Synfreak for the suggestion regarding the use of previous builds and for providing me some of these:

I have tried the R275 (v0.30) and it perfectly solved the above explained issue allowing me to successfully get the .iso of the Sarah Vaughan SACD, and then the .dsf files out of it.

And thanks again to Ted for the guide and support.

Have a nice time ripping an listening...! :)

Ciao,

Andrea :)

Jesus has both the Windows and OSX versions on his thread updated to include the latest sacd_extract, which is v38. Dunno anything about the Linux history, sorry.

Ripping my first SACD using your instructions dated Feb, 2014 which I got from a friend. Thanks for those.

Can you please provide a link to Jesus' latest version of the GUI for Windows?

Are there instructions for the GUI since there are 3 text fields where I do not know what to enter (and my source does not remember having last done any ripping a long time ago).

Thanks.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=129913.msg1373112#msg1373112

You want to pick an iso from your folders and then choose the dual (stereo) setting, unless you want to extract multichannel of course. Then pick Somy DSF and check the DST box.

Sonore APPS - ISO2DSD

You want to pick an iso from your folders and then choose the dual (stereo) setting, unless you want to extract multichannel of course. Then pick Somy DSF and check the DST box.

Thanks, ted_b, for the GUI link.

OK, I understand the 2 channel export and Sony DSF. What doe the DST selection do for me?

What is the latest version of "Ted's Ripping Guide"?