IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Hi austinpop,

I have not tried bogi's ISO2DSF. It seems a bit beyond my computer skills to modify the text. But thanks for the suggestion which I believe could also turn out solving the problem.

Thanks all again for all the helpful suggestions.

@hols:

No worries - there are many roads to audio nirvana!

However, I would still recommend you keep Bogi's tool in your belt. I ripped my collection of ~200 classical SACDs a couple of years ago, and while I primarily used Jesus's ISO2DSD GUI, there were several titles where it failed, where ISO2DSF worked instead. There were 3 scenarios:

1. Missing tracks during extraction. This is the problem you ran into.
  2. Unexplained crashes. It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact error
  3. Extracted DSF files have pop/ticks at track boundaries

It's not at all difficult to modify the cfg file in Windows, nor is the running of the tool. If/when you find you need it, just post here, and I/others can help you figure it out.

@hols:

However, I would still recommend you keep Bogi's tool in your belt. I ripped my collection of ~200 classical SACDs a couple of years ago, and while I primarily used Jesus's ISO2DSD GUI, there were several titles where it failed, where ISO2DSF worked instead. There were 3 scenarios:

It's not at all difficult to modify the cfg file in Windows, nor is the running of the tool. If/when you find you need it, just post here, and I/others can help you figure it out.

Hi austinpop,

thank you for your advice.

@hols:

Hi austinpop,

I tried to set up the bogi ISO2DSF tonight and yes it works smoothly even without amending the album length. And the right click on the file method is also simple to use. Thanks again for your advise.

Can I also ask how do you attach the album art to the dsf file? Do you use any software or one can just let jriver add it for you? Thanks.

Hi austinpop,

I tried to set up the bogi ISO2DSF tonight and yes it works smoothly even without amending the album length. And the right click on the file method is also simple to use. Thanks again for your advise.

Great! Glad it worked.

Can I also ask how do you attach the album art to the dsf file? Do you use any software or one can just let jriver add it for you? Thanks.

Oh man, there are a plethora of tagging tools, and I don't claim to be an expert on them. For me, personally, I've been quite happy with MP3tag. It has the ability to search for cover art, and attach it. But any number of them can do that, so just do some research and try.

I've never played with tools like JRiver, but I'm sure they have great capabilities.

A side note on tagging classical files. I find the default tags on SACD ISOs to be atrocious for classical music, so I tend to obsess over editing the tags on each disc I rip, and attaching cover art. You sometimes have to search hard to get the cover art of the SACD, rather than the CD release. I admit I may be a bit OCD in that regard.

I've read that Roon does an amazing job with rich metadata, but given I like my tags just so, I'm hesitant to give up control.

Anyway, I hope somewhere in there is an answer to your question!

• 2 weeks later...

Have just ripped Cream "Fresh Cream-Stereo&Mono" SHM SACD and Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key Of Life" both of which result in 2 ISOs (.001, .002) which total 4.57GB and 4.42GB respectively.

Have tried joining the files with HJSplit but keep getting Error 112. Based on this broken English link <HJSplit - Troubleshooting "I / O error 112"), I opened Edge (previously Explorer) and cleaned up temp files, etc. Did NOT run CCleaner as suggested.

Previously had joined a 2-part ISO but it was only about 4.1GB.

Anybody had experience and know of a fix?

Also, should I be selecting "Convert DST to DSD" in SACD_Extract?

Have just ripped Cream "Fresh Cream-Stereo&Mono" SHM SACD and Stevie Wonder "Songs In The Key Of Life" both of which result in 2 ISOs (.001, .002) which total 4.57GB and 4.42GB respectively.

Have tried joining the files with HJSplit but keep getting Error 112. Based on this broken English link <HJSplit - Troubleshooting "I / O error 112"), I opened Edge (previously Explorer) and cleaned up temp files, etc. Did NOT run CCleaner as suggested.

Previously had joined a 2-part ISO but it was only about 4.1GB.

Anybody had experience and know of a fix?

Also, should I be selecting "Convert DST to DSD" in SACD_Extract?

I used to have this problem periodically when ripping to the USB flash drive due to a limitation in the PS3's ability to make large files. Since I switched to the network mode using my PC to send the ISOs to a hard drive, the ISOs are ripped intact. No need to join.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I used to have this problem periodically when ripping to the USB flash drive due to a limitation in the PS3's ability to make large files. Since I switched to the network mode using my PC to send the ISOs to a hard drive, the ISOs are ripped intact. No need to join.

Thanks, Kal. Not having to join would be great!

Do not know how to "use my PC to send ISOs to a hard drive".

Are you connecting the PS3 directly to the PC via USB? via other? Please elaborate.

Would using a portable HDD work vs using a thumbdrive or is it the same issue?

BTW, should I be selecting "DST to DSD"?

Thanks, Kal. Not having to join would be great!

Do not know how to "use my PC to send ISOs to a hard drive".

It is described in all the documents that describe the USB drive method.

Are you connecting the PS3 directly to the PC via USB? via other? Please elaborate.
LAN or ethernet.

Would using a portable HDD work vs using a thumbdrive or is it the same issue?
Same issue because the PS3 cannot write larger file, so it splits them.

BTW, should I be selecting "DST to DSD"?
Not necessary for ripping to ISO.

Kal Rubinson

It is described in all the documents that describe the USB drive method.

LAN or ethernet.

Same issue because the PS3 cannot write larger file, so it splits them.

Not necessary for ripping to ISO.

Thanks again for the reply to my questions, Kal, albeit brief.

I am able to rip SACDs to a thumbdrive since the PS3 had already been set up for this by the person from whom I borrowed it. The only thing I needed to do was install SACD_extract on the PC which I have used successfully to create DSFs for about 50 discs, including one which had a split ISO that was about 4.1GB.

I have read Ted_b's instructions for ripping to a network or hard drive. While I have 3 computers and a printer hooked up to router, I do not understand what is involved in getting connectivity between the PS3 and target PC. I am struggling with the broadstroke "do this, do that and, voila, you are up and running! (NOTE: Unfortunately, I would make this same comment re the newer thread on using Oppo, Pioneer, etc., universal disc players to rip SACDs.)

I do find CA extremely helpful for computer audio and definitely appreciate the efforts of Ted_b, yourself, etal, in increasing our knowledge. I understand that managing the CA forum is a massive undertaking even just to read the posts and that individual hand-holding is impracticable. However, a bit more detail in the how-to's would be appreciated, I am sure, by not only me but others less computer savvy.

Signed,

Audiophile with (some) Computer literacy, not Computerphile with Audio literacy.

Thanks again for the reply to my questions, Kal, albeit brief.

I am able to rip SACDs to a thumbdrive since the PS3 had already been set up for this by the person from whom I borrowed it. The only thing I needed to do was install SACD_extract on the PC which I have used successfully to create DSFs for about 50 discs, including one which had a split ISO that was about 4.1GB.

I have read Ted_b's instructions for ripping to a network or hard drive. While I have 3 computers and a printer hooked up to router, I do not understand what is involved in getting connectivity between the PS3 and target PC. I am struggling with the broadstroke "do this, do that and, voila, you are up and running! (NOTE: Unfortunately, I would make this same comment re the newer thread on using Oppo, Pioneer, etc., universal disc players to rip SACDs.)

I do find CA extremely helpful for computer audio and definitely appreciate the efforts of Ted_b, yourself, etal, in increasing our knowledge. I understand that managing the CA forum is a massive undertaking even just to read the posts and that individual hand-holding is impracticable. However, a bit more detail in the how-to's would be appreciated, I am sure, by not only me but others less computer savvy.

Signed,

Audiophile with (some) Computer literacy, not Computerphile with Audio literacy.

I don't know if this is the kind of info that will help, but maybe it will. I've been getting some PMs from folks asking similar questions, and it seems the main problem folks are having is that they are overwhelmed by all the network-related info that's accumulated in this thread and the Oppo/Pioneer thread. So they don't know where to begin, and they don't know which specific questions to ask.

Here's the deal: There are only three network tasks you have to worry about:

1. Connecting your PS3 to your network
  2. Finding out what the PS3's IP address is
  3. Typing that IP address into the SACD ripping software

1. Connect your PS3 to your network via ethernet or wi-fi.

2. Find the IP address. The PS3 probably will show you its IP address in one of its settings or info screens. (I've never had a PS3 so I don't know for sure). Failing that, your PC might also be able to tell you, maybe via Windows Explorer. Another possibility is that if you can log in to your router via it's web-page interface, there will be a page or tab that lists every device on your network, with its IP address. If that doesn't work, there are tons of free an very cheap port-scanning apps you can download - you just double-click the and they list every device on your local network.

3. Once you have the PS3's IP address, all you have to do is type that IP address into the SACD ripping software.

With the command-line utility - the one where you run the "sacd.cmd" file - you open that .cmd file in Notepad or a similar text editor, replace the IP address there with the IP address of your machine, save your changes, quit Notepad, and then double-click the .cmd file in Windows Explorer.

With the GUI version - the ISO2DSD Java app - you launch the app, select the "from server" option towards the upper-left of the app's main window, enter in your machine's IP address, select "ISO" from the little menu on the righthand side of the window, and then press Execute.

That's it. You do NOT have to be able to browse your PS3 from Windows Explorer. You do NOT have to be able to log in or see folders on your PC from the PS3. You do NOT have to be able to telnet in to the PS3 from your PC. None of that stuff matters. All you need is the PS3's IP address. The same goes for any other disc player - Oppo, Pioneer, Cambridge.

Hope this helps!

While I have 3 computers and a printer hooked up to router, I do not understand what is involved in getting connectivity between the PS3 and target PC.

Since your PS3 is already configured for ripping and it and your PC are on the same home network, all you need to do is install ISO2DSD on a PC (which, I think, you already have). So:

1. Start the ripping program on the PS3 and choose "Network' when it asks. You have to respond quickly or it will choose the default USB drive.

2. Load an SACD into the PS3. It will display that the disc is inserted and display the IP address of the PS3.

3. From the ISO2DSD GUI, choose "Server Input" (upper left corner), Raw ISO for output mode and, most importantly, enter the IP address in the big panel (center left).

4. Hit "Execute." The file will be in the same directory as ISO2DSD.

Kal Rubinson

Since your PS3 is already configured for ripping and it and your PC are on the same home network, all you need to do is install ISO2DSD on a PC (which, I think, you already have). So:

1. Start the ripping program on the PS3 and choose "Network' when it asks. You have to respond quickly or it will choose the default USB drive.

2. Load an SACD into the PS3. It will display that the disc is inserted and display the IP address of the PS3.

3. From the ISO2DSD GUI, choose "Server Input" (upper left corner), Raw ISO for output mode and, most importantly, enter the IP address in the big panel (center left).

Thanks for your tutelage and patience, Kal.

Process looks very manageable even for me when presented this way! Will definitely give it a spin. ;-)

I assume that PS3 screen, etc. will appear on the PC's monitor?

Regarding the PS3's difficulty in creating ISO files larger than ~4GB, riddle me this... IF the PS3 is what is having the problem, what is the difference between a thumbdrive with adequate capacity and the PC's harddrive?

Frank

Thanks for your tutelage and patience, Kal.

Process looks very manageable even for me when presented this way! Will definitely give it a spin. ;-)

I assume that PS3 screen, etc. will appear on the PC's monitor?

No. It appears on the PS3 screen.

Regarding the PS3's difficulty in creating ISO files larger than ~4GB, riddle me this... IF the PS3 is what is having the problem, what is the difference between a thumbdrive with adequate capacity and the PC's harddrive?

Frank

The PC, not the PS3, is writing to the harddrive (or to an attached USB).

Kal Rubinson

Frank,

The ~4GB limit has to do with the (from the PS3) needed filesystem (FAT32). Modern Windows PCs use the NTFS file system, which hasn't that limitation.

So if you use the "ripping via network" method, you will end up with single-file ISOs - no matter how big they might be.

I never had my PS3 connected to the network (because of the location, and the fear/problem not to accidentaly update the firmware via internet), but use this method now with a Pioneer BDP-170 player, and it is just much more convinient to do so. No more thumbdrive(s) needed, much more elegant and - at least here and for my situation - even faster.

Hopefully you will get it running! It is worth some hassle ;-)

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Frank,

The ~4GB limit has to do with the (from the PS3) needed filesystem (FAT32). Modern Windows PCs use the NTFS file system, which hasn't that limitation.

So if you use the "ripping via network" method, you will end up with single-file ISOs - no matter how big they might be.

I never had my PS3 connected to the network (because of the location, and the fear/problem not to accidentaly update the firmware via internet), but use this method now with a Pioneer BDP-170 player, and it is just much more convinient to do so. No more thumbdrive(s) needed, much more elegant and - at least here and for my situation - even faster.

Hopefully you will get it running! It is worth some hassle ;-)

My sincere thanks to tmtomh, Kal and now Synfreak for providing further details on the network ripping process.

I currently do not have the ISO2DSD folder in the main directory but rather several layers levels down in my Music folder. Can I specify a location for the gui file which is a bit "buried" or would it be better to have it closer to the top of the path?

Will now have the weekend to try this...hopefully just not all of it! ;-)

... I currently do not have the ISO2DSD folder in the main directory but rather several layers levels down in my Music folder. Can I specify a location for the gui file which is a bit "buried" or would it be better to have it closer to the top of the path?

Try to locate it at the top level of disc - be it C: or another one.

If not, there might be problems as soon as you start to extract the single tracks (to *.dsf or *.dff files).

That is because of some of these might get very long filenames, and this will lead into a limitation problem.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Try to locate it at the top level of disc - be it C: or another one.

If not, there might be problems as soon as you start to extract the single tracks (to *.dsf or *.dff files).

That is because of some of these might get very long filenames, and this will lead into a limitation problem.

Great tip, Synfreak! Have run into filename limitation like what you suggest, particularly with classical tracks.

Great tip, Synfreak! Have run into filename limitation like what you suggest, particularly with classical tracks.

My preference is to put it in the root directory of an attached USB drive (1 to 8Tb) and keep it off the main HDD. You collect and manipulate/convert files, you can then just move them were you prefer, e.g., a NAS.

Kal Rubinson

My preference is to put it in the root directory of an attached USB drive (1 to 8Tb) and keep it off the main HDD. You collect and manipulate/convert files, you can then just move them were you prefer, e.g., a NAS.

Have an unused 1TB external HD which I will dedicate to this purpose. Plenty of space plus nice way to xfer to other storage.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

due to repeated ylods, I had to get a new compatible PS3 for ripping and install Sacd ripper (my previous PS3 had already it pre-installed). While everything seemed absolutely normal during the process of installing OTHEROS, Sacd ripper and the keys, following Ted's guide step by step, the ISOs seem unable to play (with Audirvana or JRiver) or convert into separate DFF or DSF files (with ISO2DSD). I systematically get sacd logs that show something went wrong (I'm thinking about the line "authentification failed"). See this exemple :

"16908381[0x102005d]: SACD-Ripper Version 0.3716908381[0x102005d]: config: 00 00 00 0c 00 00 00 00 ff 41 00 04 00 00 00 00

16908381[0x102005d]: config: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 75 6e 6e 61 6d 65 5c 10 80 00 00 00 00 53 a0 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 80 00 00 00 10 12 9e 70 80 00 00 00 00 58 b0 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 01 00 01 01 00 00 00 00 01

16908381[0x102005d]: disc inserted..

16908381[0x102005d]: config: 00 00 00 0c 00 00 00 10 ff 41 01 04 00 00 00 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 75 6e 6e 61 6d 65 5c 10 80 00 00 00 00 53 a0 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 80 00 00 00 10 12 9e 70 80 00 00 00 00 58 b0 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1a 7f 5e

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 00 00 08 00 00 00 00 01 00 01 01 00 00 00 00 01

16908381[0x102005d]: Album Title: Johannes BRAHMS, String Quartet No. 2 Op.51 - Stri

16908381[0x102005d]: Album Artist: PRAZAK QUARTET - Vladimr BUKAC, viola II

16908381[0x102005d]: Disc Version: 01.20

16908381[0x102005d]: config: 00 00 00 0c 00 00 00 10 ff 41 01 04 00 00 00 00

16908381[0x102005d]: device_info: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1a 7f 5e

16908381[0x102005d]: succeeded. raw_spu number is 0

16908381[0x102005d]: succeeded. entry d0

16908381[0x102005d]: Establishing the interrupt tag on the interrupt PPU thread.

16908381[0x102005d]: ioctl_report_key1[45023901] 0

16908381[0x102005d]: sac_exec_generate_key 0 c9 0

16908381[0x102005d]: ioctl_send_key[2] c9 ffffffff

16908381[0x102005d]: sac_exec_key_exchange (0xffffffff)

16908381[0x102005d]: authentication failed: ffffffff

16908381[0x102005d]: Queuing raw: /dev_usb002/PRAZAK QUARTET - Vladimír BUKAC, viola II - Johannes BRAHMS, String Quartet No. 2 Op.51 - String Quinte.iso, start_lsn: 0, length_lsn: 1736542

16908381[0x102005d]: disc ejected.."

with ISO2DSD I get this kind of error messages :

"ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame:0

Completed: 1% (2.0MB), Total: 0% (178/4MB) at infMB/sec[0]: ERROR Illegal stuffing pattern in frame: 2[0]: ERROR: invalid segment length on frame: 3

[0]: ERROR: Illegal stuffing pattern on frame: 4"

All the resulting DFF files (I get only one per SACD) have a size of 0Kb.

Any help or advice would be highly appreciated !

Thanks in advance.

Finally got around to hooking PS3 up to PC system via Ethernet and am trying your instructions.

1. Started ripping program on the PS3 and it does not give me the option of choosing "Network". Hope its not THAT fast! ;-) There is no USB thumbdrive connected, so no default.

2. Loaded SACD and content shown. No IP address shown but it does say "Output:NO DEVICE".

If I scroll down it says "click X to start ripping, O to change output". Below a white line it shows "X Enter" and "O Back" but I do not know how to access these. I have a keyboard plugged into 1 of the PS3 USB inputs but entering uppercase X or O (not zero) does nothing. Up/Down and Left/Right arrows allow movement and ESC lets me go back.

Looks like when SACD Ripper opens that there is a SETTINGS option but do not know what to change/enter.

3. Made selections as indicated on the Sonore ISO2DSD.gui screen. It asks for IP address and default shows 0.0.0.0:2002.

4. Maybe.

Sorry...

Does the PS3 still need the 3.x firmware to utilize the ISO2DSD? I have a PS3 that plays SACD, but the firmware was updated to the 4.x level and I've never had a chance to back-level it.

Pure Music->Mac Mini->Ayre QB9 DSD->Parasound Halo JC-2->pair of Emotiva XPA-5->Linkwitzlab LX521

Oppo BDP-105D, Dynavector XX-2 MkII->Linn Akito->Systemdek->Parasound Halo JC-3+

Finally got around to hooking PS3 up to PC system via Ethernet and am trying your instructions.

1. Started ripping program on the PS3 and it does not give me the option of choosing "Network". Hope its not THAT fast! ;-) There is no USB thumbdrive connected, so no default.

2. Loaded SACD and content shown. No IP address shown but it does say "Output:NO DEVICE".

If I scroll down it says "click X to start ripping, O to change output". Below a white line it shows "X Enter" and "O Back" but I do not know how to access these. I have a keyboard plugged into 1 of the PS3 USB inputs but entering uppercase X or O (not zero) does nothing. Up/Down and Left/Right arrows allow movement and ESC lets me go back.

Looks like when SACD Ripper opens that there is a SETTINGS option but do not know what to change/enter.

3. Made selections as indicated on the Sonore ISO2DSD.gui screen. It asks for IP address and default shows 0.0.0.0:2002.

4. Maybe.

Sorry...

EDIT: I DID find the IP address but what is the "port" requested by ISO2DSD? Do not see that showing up in PS3 Settings.