IGNORED

SACD ripping using your PS3 (part 2)

Mike, Synfreak is absolutely spot on, and mirrors what I just sent you in an email response to what you sent me (wish I had known this was also a thread post!). Just go get the Mac version of ISO2DSD and be done. Are you saying that this latest version, with sacd_extract v38, is broken on the Mac? Jesus needs to know. And btw, it is not unsupported (as you implied in my email)...he needs to know, and is very responsive, even though he gives the application away for free. I have many audio friends using it successfully under OSX. Yours might be setup issue, so post any specofic examples here, please..

Peter, does the PS3 recognize it as an SACD in its music menu, just not the sacd_ripper? Are you 100% sure the disc is a legit SACD? Does this happen on all SACDs? Is the model a CECHA, B C or E?

Thanks for your quick reply Ted!

The PS3 is a CECH-2504B. When I insert a SACD (tried several) there is no menu to choose form SACD or PCM.

Is it possible that a particular firmware version is needed? Which one do you advise?

Thanks,

Peter

Your PS3 is not eligible. Not only does it not pass the first question (only 4 old OOP models, all produced before Dec 2007, starting with CECHA, CECHB, CECHC, and CECHE, and with non-hacked fw at 3.5 or below), but yours does not even have SACD playback functionality. Not sure what you meant by doing the SACD mod?? Do a search here; you will find lots of good info.

BTW, once you do find an eligible box, simply download my guide (in my signature).

That makes a lot of sense Ted. Thanks! I thought that the A, B, etc. stands for the letter at the end of the modelnr, but is has to start with that number I do now understand.

With the mod I ment that I modded this unit with an E3 Flasher and downgraded it afterwards to version 3.55.

Ok, I'm going to hunt for an older model.

Regards,

Peter

Good hunting. Realize that an eligible model, if bought cheaply enough, can be downgraded to 3.5 via a hardware mod (from many folks feedback here for like $100) but no efforts of flashing or other can be achieved. IOW, unless you buy a stock 3.5 or below, prepare to spend $100 to have the machine hardware modded.

I guess I owe it to new hunters to know that the creator of all this, MR Wicked, long ago (Oct 2014) started a project to have an external USB BD hard drive replace the PS3 hack as a solution. It required a $250 pledge to get on the list. He needed 150 pledges. He's got 623! But nothing has come out of the project yet. FYI.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/funding-making-sacd-ripping-available-through-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-22124/

Well, I'm not really confident about the hunt :)

The idea of Mr Wicked is nice, but it depends on the old PS3 units, which are hardly to get. I don't believe he can get his hands on that many units..

Thanks again Ted, you have a great forum over here!!

Regards,

Peter

I also have a PS3 for sale. It has been refurbished and modified. It has not had the ripping hack done to it.

I am in the US..

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components-no-dealers/playstation-3-extras-refurbished-and-modified-ultimate_tech2015-rip-your-sacds-%24300-00-a-27659/

Thank you for looking,

Christopher

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"
I also have a PS3 for sale. It has been refurbished and modified. It has not had the ripping hack done to it.

I am in the US..

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components-no-dealers/playstation-3-extras-refurbished-and-modified-ultimate_tech2015-rip-your-sacds-%24300-00-a-27659/

As Kal Rubinson pointed out following your ad, you should specify the firmware version of your PS3.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I bought it with 3.55 specifically and it got updated... :(

Now 4.76 Damn it!!!!!

I remember after having it for over a year and doing zero with it I hooked it up to play GT5. I didn't think about it and updated it. Totally forgetting about the firmware deal.

Oh well, it is now listed on Ebay and I just want it gone. I am not concerned about the money so much as I just want it gone.

Sony PlayStation 3 80 GB Piano Black Console CECH E01 | eBay

Sorry for the confusion.

Cheers,

Christopher

"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

Hello,

Just got a PS3 CECHC04 running Rebug 4.78. I managed to install SACD-ripper 0.37, but all I get is error 80010017 (cannot load BD Game). When installing SACD-ripper it does not ask me for the PS3 -keys, even though they are in the root of the USB. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anselmus

Hello,

Just got a PS3 CECHC04 running Rebug 4.78. I managed to install SACD-ripper 0.37, but all I get is error 80010017 (cannot load BD Game). When installing SACD-ripper it does not ask me for the PS3 -keys, even though they are in the root of the USB. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Anselmus

Running the original sacd-ripper on CFW 3.55 is obligatory. I've heard of a modified version being compatible with CFW 3.55+ but I never tested it.

Running the original sacd-ripper on CFW 3.55 is obligatory. I've heard of a modified version being compatible with CFW 3.55+ but I never tested it.

Thanks, that is most helpful. Fortunately grading down and up with CFW is easy if one is careful to avoid the update by internet option!

Would be interested to hear about SACD-ripper versions that are compatible with CFW 3.55+ ... are they around?

Would be interested to hear about SACD-ripper versions that are compatible with CFW 3.55+ ... are they around?
No, only FW 3.55 and below.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

It works, and I have been ripping my SACDs; playing them back with Audirvana Plus through a Geek-Out DAC.

My experience so far is quite good, but there are some strange issues. SACD-ripper sometimes freezes on the 'start ripping' screen. The SACD still rips, but it is not visible when ripping ends. I just have to take an educated guess and need to reboot the PS3. If I end too early the iso is incomplete. It does this on certain SACDs, so at least it is consistent. It seems to have more problems on the Japanese SHM SACDs.

Then there is an issue of playback; the multichannel iso's suffer from the characteristic DSD crackles and pops on playback. I guess I have to extract the stereo track. Here my journey continues, as my mac did not support Java anymore, I had to find the lasted version that would install. I am still looking to see whether I can get iso2dsd to work. It starts, but extraction freezes at 4%.

It works, and I have been ripping my SACDs; playing them back with Audirvana Plus through a Geek-Out DAC.

My experience so far is quite good, but there are some strange issues. SACD-ripper sometimes freezes on the 'start ripping' screen. The SACD still rips, but it is not visible when ripping ends. I just have to take an educated guess and need to reboot the PS3. If I end too early the iso is incomplete. It does this on certain SACDs, so at least it is consistent. It seems to have more problems on the Japanese SHM SACDs.

Then there is an issue of playback; the multichannel iso's suffer from the characteristic DSD crackles and pops on playback. I guess I have to extract the stereo track. Here my journey continues, as my mac did not support Java anymore, I had to find the lasted version that would install. I am still looking to see whether I can get iso2dsd to work. It starts, but extraction freezes at 4%.

A tip to help with this. I rip to a USB stick that has a little light on it. The light blinks fast while data is being sent to the stick, and then blinks slow when it's in stand by mode. Once my screen freezes up, which appears to be directly proportional to how warm the house is, I monitor the blinking light on the USB stick. Once it goes into stand by mode I give it a few more minutes for good measure and then pull the stick. When I started doing this I get the complete rip with an ISO file fully in tact.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

A tip to help with this. I rip to a USB stick that has a little light on it. The light blinks fast while data is being sent to the stick, and then blinks slow when it's in stand by mode. Once my screen freezes up, which appears to be directly proportional to how warm the house is, I monitor the blinking light on the USB stick. Once it goes into stand by mode I give it a few more minutes for good measure and then pull the stick. When I started doing this I get the complete rip with an ISO file fully in tact.

Very good suggestion. I was just getting a rip of Tangerine Dream's Phaedra and indeed used a USB with a LED at the tip.

It is what we term "a blind rip" and I re-expained it (and have over the years) less than a page ago post 2520). It is a bug, but as long as you are patient you can be successful. As we've pointed out several times in this thread (and most recently Jabs), rip with a USB stick that has a light so you can have a visual reminder of when the writing is done, usually around 20 minutes. I've discussed this with MR Wicked and it's an anomaly that he's not that worried about (i.e not high on the priority list)..

It is what we term "a blind rip" and I re-expained it (and have over the years) less than a page ago post 2520). It is a bug, but as long as you are patient you can be successful. As we've pointed out several times in this thread (and most recently Jabs), rip with a USB stick that has a light so you can have a visual reminder of when the writing is done, usually around 20 minutes. I've discussed this with MR Wicked and it's an anomaly that he's not that worried about (i.e not high on the priority list)..

Apologies, new here. I started reading at page 1 ... so much to go through :)