IGNORED

Article: JPLAY for iOS and iPadOS Review

10 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

@The Computer Audiophile thank you for the review and for all extremely useful feedback we got from you over the months 🙏

Thanks for putting up with me :~)

I know I had some strange requests and strange issues, but you guys always listened and had an answer. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

How does JPlay compare to Roon in terms of managing libraries across your local files as well as Qobuz & Tidal? Roon's feature of presenting a consolidated library of local files+ streaming favorites is just awesome. I greatly dislike having to search across multiple sources in apps like mConnect. If JPlay can do the same, it's a real winner!

Tidal Audio Agoria Loudspeakers; VAC Master preamp; Merrill Audio Christine preamp, Merrill Audio Jens & VAC Renaissance Phono Preamps;   Bricasti M28 & Merrill Audio Element 118 Monoblock Amplifiers; Sonore Signature RenduSE Optical network player; Bricasti M12 Source Controller/ DAC; Spiral Groove SG-2 TT with Centroid Arm & Transfiguration Proteus Diamond Cartridge; Ampex ATR-102 Reel-Reel with Merrill Audio Master tape head preamplifier; Ansuz signal and power cabling and power distribution; Symposium Isis racks 

INDUSTRY AFFILIATION: Dealer- XtremeFidelity.net (VAC,  Bricasti, Merrill Audio,  Sonore, Ansuz, Synergistic Research & others)

Chris, nice article, and thanks.

The Podcast is the Lina one though...

[Home Digital] MSB Premier DAC > Modright LS300 > Atma-Sphere "Class D" Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Benz Glider SL)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Meze Liric / Meze Elite

[Travel] Laptop/iPad -> Focal Bathys

37 minutes ago, stefano_mbp said:

@The Computer Audiophile nice Chris, and, if you allow me, I would mention some more features you omitted :

• the ability to show the local library pdf booklets (if they exist)image.thumb.jpeg.a3bd6aa7583a5a6343cd1442f3992f4a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.a1d7021cfcffbc436bc6c77605910141.jpeg
  • it is possible to browse, and filter, by (among others) Conductor, Ensembles and Soloistsimage.thumb.jpeg.2d16be0725cfbe0b5df4713dd2658d57.jpeg
  • it is possible to filter albums by Worksimage.thumb.jpeg.f5a6844e28f1a1856ba18011cda1ef65.jpeg
  • Works are shown in the album details and they group the related movements image.thumb.jpeg.2f376c240c717633f537410e0a998f2f.jpeg

I find these features quite important as they are quite unique among UPNP control point apps (at least for iOS/iPadOS).

It would be fine to make available ( @Marcin_gps , @mnuno10 ) a detailed guide to allow users to configure Minimserver in the right way (Full license needed) to be able to enjoy these features.

I love it @stefano_mbp!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, Afveep said:

How does JPlay compare to Roon in terms of managing libraries across your local files as well as Qobuz & Tidal? Roon's feature of presenting a consolidated library of local files+ streaming favorites is just awesome. I greatly dislike having to search across multiple sources in apps like mConnect. If JPlay can do the same, it's a real winner!

Hi @Afveep, very good question. JPLAY is a little different and a mix of what you're used to. I highly recommend giving the free trial a spin and asking more questions to see if you can make it fit your needs. 

For example, when looking at my albums, I see everything combined. Here is Pearl Jam's Gigaton with local, Tidal, and Qobuz on the same screen. 

IMG_9446.png

Here is Pearl Jam, but I have to go into each Artist page to see those albums only. 

IMG_9447.png

Re VST3 plugins, do I recall correctly that you use Audirvāna in some situations? At least until JPlay works with VST3 plugins, that’s another option. The UI differs, of course.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just now, Jud said:

Re VST3 plugins, do I recall correctly that you use Audirvāna in some situations? At least until JPlay works with VST3 plugins, that’s another option. The UI differs, of course.

You recall correctly. However, there's an issue with Hang Loose Convolver VST3 plugin and Audirvana. No clue where the issue is, but both sides are well aware of it :~)

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

You recall correctly. However, there's an issue with Hang Loose Convolver VST3 plugin and Audirvana. No clue where the issue is, but both sides are well aware of it :~)

Dang. Sorry to hear that.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

If you are an Aurender owner and use Conductor on both an iPad and your iPhone with both a library on the Aurender, a very large music library on a Synology NAS and Qobuz subscriber, would this be better than Conductor iPhone app, or useful in addition to Conductor ? (The NAS folders are also mapped out in Conductor, but lack the cover art etc when searching it)? 

6 minutes ago, agladstone said:

If you are an Aurender owner and use Conductor on both an iPad and your iPhone with both a library on the Aurender, a very large music library on a Synology NAS and Qobuz subscriber, would this be better than Conductor iPhone app, or useful in addition to Conductor ? (The NAS folders are also mapped out in Conductor, but lack the cover art etc when searching it)? 

Aurender doesn’t support UPnP, so this app won’t work at all. 

I am curious about sound quality improvements that others observe.  I had a number of interface issues that I was never entirely able to resolve, so I stopped using JPlay a few months ago.  My primary interest in my extensive troubleshooting was in maximizing my system's SQ but, in the end, I didn't find that I was able to hear a difference between JPlay and the other DLNA players I tried.  (I don't count HQPlayer in this equation, because, unlike JRiver, Minimserver, MConnect, and my Audirvana setup, it modifies the playback of what the server sends out.)

In what ways have other users found JPlay to sound better than bit-perfect renderers such as Audirvana or JRiver?  I am willing to give it another try if the predominant sentiment is that it sounds better than the competition.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

From the description of these to scenarios (“pure” and “ibrid”) is easy to understand that the “pure” one is much lighter on the cpu of the server and we know that the more a cpu is stressed the more the quality of the sound can be affected by this stress.

Though note that Audirvana has always been designed such that any DSP and sending the DSP-converted track over the network are separate steps. Thus you would want to listen/measure during playback both before and after any conversion is finished. Depending on what type of CPU and how much RAM you have, and what if any conversion you are doing, the conversion step may be done very quickly.

33 minutes ago, Jud said:

note that Audirvana has always been designed such that any DSP and sending the DSP-converted track over the network are separate steps.

They are separate steps but they are anyway subsequent … first is DSP/upsampling and then there is the sending to the renderer after wav conversion, of course you can decide not to use DSP/upsampling.

But I’ve found that Audirvana library management is too heavy and this has a bad impact on performance, my MacBook Pro i7/16GB ram (late 2011) was always running full throttle just to keep the library synchronized for at least 40’ since Audirvana was started, and this is an automatic task … no way to jump it.

If I had to classify the performance I should say (from the worst to the best)

1. Audirvana stand alone
  2. Audirvana with UPNP renderer
  3. UPNP “pure” setup

Stefano

My audio system

2 hours ago, stefano_mbp said:

But I’ve found that Audirvana library management is too heavy and this has a bad impact on performance, my MacBook Pro i7/16GB ram (late 2011) was always running full throttle just to keep the library synchronized for at least 40’ since Audirvana was started, and this is an automatic task … no way to jump it.

My library of 10k+ tracks must be far smaller than yours - Audirvana finishes updating mine in a few seconds. I'm not sure I understand what process you refer to if you say it can't be avoided. The processes I'm thinking of can be turned off by unchecking boxes.

All this is aside from JPlay reducing network traffic. I have seen opinions from developers and engineers that fewer transmissions of larger data segments are better for SQ, and also the opposite, that more frequent transmissions of smaller data segments are better.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm not sure I understand what process you refer to if you say it can't be avoided. The processes I'm thinking of can be turned off by unchecking boxes.

I stopped using Audirvana when Studio was launched, so I refer to 3.5.x version and for local storage (thunderbolt attached) there is no way to avoid synchronization, it’s only possible for network shared storage.

Anyway, this isn’t the right place to discuss about Audirvana that is … old story for me …

Stefano

My audio system