IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

17 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

mine is also in the default place...

dragging it out with 'option' key makes a copy on the desktop. It is just for a backup...

OK, you back up your database of Audirvana this way. 

Roon has an automatic back-up feature for its database, and I set it to run each night. I set it to keep the back-ups of the last 30 days. 

Why won't you do the same with a back-up software for the Mac?

5 hours ago, Dandou said:

OK, you back up your database of Audirvana this way. 

Roon has an automatic back-up feature for its database, and I set it to run each night. I set it to keep the back-ups of the last 30 days. 

Why won't you do the same with a back-up software for the Mac?

Yes i use TimeMachine but i only plug that Hard Disc when i backup, after an macOS update... like after Monterey 12.3 and will do right after 12.4  :)

The Mac Mini only serve for music, so nothing change in between except the saved database in JRiver and Audirvana. dragging the file to desktop takes one second to copy 3.25gb .sqlite

It is been more stable recently, but i do add a lot of new music mostly everyday, and tag everything, and also i'd like to keep my music count plays now... every times you start new you lose that, every times you put a backup you lose that was played in between, so it is easy 2 or 3 a times a day to have my database copy to desktop (i keep in my Mac Dock 2 folders shortcut, one for the database and the other for the Preferences) and at the end of that day, i copy Studio and v3.5 up to date .sqlite with my preferences of Audirvana to a external hard drive with them in a folder named 'Todays Date' :)  when i'm sure everything is still perfect, i trash some older backups :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

All is pretty good for me since the last mess of my database this Christmas...

2 new hard drives for music with enough space for the rest of my life :)

All my covers of albums are updated and the same format and embedded in Audirvana...

Put all the release date to my albums to have them in release date order

even when there is many albums by the same group the same year, like Zappa often 3 albums a year :)

My free subscription end on may 29 for Studio, and i never streamed, even never try to, so Origin might be made for me :)

will have to test more at that time for sound, because i still have a free Software with 3.5.50

Only bug i still have, it is that Studio or Origin doesn't open on 'Library - Albums' at start,

so, at open, with a big 5k 27inches iMac display showing me an empty library at open  :(

best would be to bring back where i left window, like JRiver do :)

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

So ...

the "upgrade" to "Origin" for existing customers is more expensive, and significantly less functional (no streaming support in Origin, where it was present in 3.5), than a new FULL license for the older Audirvana+ 3.5 used to cost, and it has all the same issues as the current Audirvana Studio?

Such a bargain.

The degree of shark-jumping that has gone on here is just comical (unless you paid for the thing, then it is distinctly not-funny).

13 minutes ago, Torq said:

So ...the "upgrade" to "Origin" for existing customers is more expensive, and significantly less functional (no streaming support in Origin, where it was present in 3.5), than a new FULL license for the older Audirvana+ 3.5 used to cost, and it has all the same issues as the current Audirvana Studio?

Such a bargain.

The degree of shark-jumping that has gone on here is just comical (unless you paid for the thing, then it is distinctly not-funny).

Indeed,

therefore I stick to 3.5.44.......:-)

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

13 minutes ago, bbixenstine said:

I very much like the Audirvana 3.5 iTunes Integration mode -- does Origins retain that option?

I never used it, but i guess yes?

Screen Shot 2022-04-23 at 10.42.44 AM.jpg

In my setup, the players have the same sound as long as they play bit-perfect, and stream to the same renderer. 

The sound of Origin is identical to the sound of A3.5, and both are identical to the sound of Foobar (Mac). 

Streaming path: 

Mac Mini M1 > Rapsberry 4 Server - GentooPlayer (Diretta Host) > Allo USBridge Sig - GentooPlayer (Diretta Target)

My experiences so far:

I have had Audirvana 3.5 and then I switched to AS for a year, which ends in the beginning of June. It was very buggy the first months, but my player was to blame too in this regard. I almost didn't use the radio and streaming functionality, so I switched to Origin. To my ears the sound quality is somewhat better than from 3.5. And honestly: I quite like it, because it has only the functionality I need! Besides Origin, I use Asset UPnP for radio functionality, but also for playing my local library, using my iPad mini. Advantage: no computer needed, so saving a little on my electric bill. The only thing I don't like is the Playlist functionality, but hopefully that will improve over time. Btw: I think it was a very good move from Damien to introduce AO!!

20 hours ago, jos said:

I think it was a very good move from Damien to introduce AO!!

I think Damien had no choice. I'm sure that I am not alone alternating listening between audrivana plus and ROON. With the subscription model for AS, no way when I have a lifetime ROON subscription. 

Early days of ROON there was a noticeable SQ difference that ROON has closed.  Streaming services are integrated. Why would I go back to library only.  Sorry the horse has bolted.

2 hours ago, Zakus said:

Early days of ROON there was a noticeable SQ difference that ROON has closed. 

Roon improved its player in the last months. In my setup also, the sound of Roon is superior at the present to Audirvana.

I did not think that this may happen one day, because during many years Audirvana was superior to Roon each time that I compared between them. 

20 hours ago, Zakus said:

I think Damien had no choice. I'm sure that I am not alone alternating listening between audrivana plus and ROON. With the subscription model for AS, no way when I have a lifetime ROON subscription. 

Early days of ROON there was a noticeable SQ difference that ROON has closed.  Streaming services are integrated. Why would I go back to library only.  Sorry the horse has bolted.

I fully understand you with a lifetime Roon subscription, but I don't have Roon as an alternative player. I have tried it in the past, but personally: I didn't like the interface at all (to modern). It also depends on how you play your music and use the interface; in my case mostly random without using the interface intensively. I your case I will certainly stick to Roon too. Further: I think Damien is just expanding his sale in a clever way in conjunction with the fact that some of us don't like the subscription model, and now they have a choice. And hopefully the sound quality will improve further, because that was the main reason for people to choose Audirvana in the past.

Tried it on Mac OS M1. Very very buggy, thus too frustrating to use. Wish I could report otherwise.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

12 hours ago, feelingears said:

Tried it on Mac OS M1. Very very buggy, thus too frustrating to use. Wish I could report otherwise.

I don’t have any problems so far, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have them. Try to use the support page on the Audirvāna site, or have you already done so? I have an older Mac with Catalina installed.

On 4/30/2022 at 10:25 AM, jgeffen said:

I don’t have any problems so far, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have them. Try to use the support page on the Audirvāna site, or have you already done so? I have an older Mac with Catalina installed.

Thanks, @jgeffen. What is supremely frustrating is that the bugs appear to be basic things like songs stopping unexpectedly mid-song, songs replaying when they shouldn't be, playback buttons simply working, and random interface components not working when clicked. I suffered through too much photo software "public beta testing" back in the day. Life's too short. The sound does so far appeal, however. To be honest, I do have some hope/desire for improvements, thank you @Jud for encouraging me to discover this!

But I also am wondering about what this "new software" and pricing maneuver means as others have pointed out already. Is this tantamount to a going concern disclosure (if the company were public/being audited)? It seems unclear to me given the history of comments on the original versions before Origin here.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

2 hours ago, feelingears said:

But I also am wondering about what this "new software" and pricing maneuver means

Very simple: When Audirvana Studio came out, many people asked for a version that was not subscription but rather a one-time payment. So Damien listened. Many people also said they didn't need the extra features like radio stations and streaming, just something to play local files. This made for a fortunate intersection, allowing software with the requested reduced feature set to be offered at an affordable one-time price.

So that's the explanation - Damien has given a large number of users what they asked for.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

11 minutes ago, Jud said:

Very simple: When Audirvana Studio came out, many people asked for a version that was not subscription but rather a one-time payment. So Damien listened. Many people also said they didn't need the extra features like radio stations and streaming, just something to play local files. This made for a fortunate intersection, allowing software with the requested reduced feature set to be offered at an affordable one-time price.

So that's the explanation - Damien has given a large number of users what they asked for.

Yes and, nearly nobody streams in the Japanese market. I say nobody, knowing full well we have friends here in this community in Japan who stream, but the vast majority in Japan don't stream. They don't need the features in Audirvana. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

Damien has given a large number of users what they asked for.

It's very well explained, and I was one of these users. 

I wish success to Origin, because it's beneficial for the users that the competition between audiophile players will keep going on. 

I plan personally to buy a license of Origin, when some of the bugs that I reported are fixed.

I spent only 3 or 4 days trying Origin, so I could test only its macOS M1 version, which is different from the versions for Intel Macs and for Windows. So, the bugs that I reported were observed on the macOS M1 version. 

From the comments that I read on the thread, I have the impression that the two other versions may be less buggy, but unfortunately, I lacked the time to try them with my Dell and my Intel Mac. 

I'm glad for this community and topic thread because one is always learning something new which includes perspectives on the products/services we would otherwise not know much about. Thanks all, and hopefully Audirvana gets up to speed quickly. I have to think it's tough for a small team keeping two platforms and mobile apps up to date and operating smoothly. (Somewhat tough for an end user to remember this, too.) Thanks again.

Thinking more about this. I don’t know of another company / developer who has or would create a second version of its product, based on consumers asking for it. Think about the other apps on the market, and ask your self how the conversation would go if you asked for the equivalent of Audirvana Origin. 

Kudos to Damien and team for being responsive. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

My trial ran out the other day. The SQ over Jriver for AO is a lot better, the UIX has some weird quirks, perhaps this is traditional French methode..? AO would only be used in the office system, too quirky at the moment for primary use.  The price is much the same as Roon, however a minimum of two years before AO requires another version upgrade. AO comes with 1/8th the annoyance factor that Roon provides, so that's a blessing. 

Very undecided to buy, not going to rush this.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA