IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

54 minutes ago, One and a half said:

At its release, a year ago, AS is was so buggy that no one would have bought an expensive lifetime subscription for it.

Bringing the situation up to date 😒

Installing Origin , 9TB of lossless files over the network being indexed, with 80% on the one drive still to finish, now running about 15minutes. Average network traffic is 200Mb/s peaking to 500 Mb/s.  No progress bar, occasional screen resizes, Minimserver would have finished by now.

image.thumb.png.ec2f615b02fc6f0021cf7bfb1df39f1b.png

There is an improvement. When I tried AS last year, the analysis lasted days and days, even weeks in the case of some users. 

21 minutes ago, BentonT said:

So will Origin offer any audio improvements over 3.5 ?

Yes. At a minimum, the cleaner, pleasing UI and Library sort filters are arguably worth forking out $89. I'm not happy about paying it, but at least I'm getting something for the money.

3 hours ago, swordpen said:

Yes, BIO's (or BIO'S is correct as BIOS would mean something different. bio's is incorrect as the full word would be biographies, not biography's.

The English language. Oh so much fun.

Apologies for continuing the OT: Since an apostrophe stands for missing letters, bio's would serve for biographies.

I think Studio, and therefore Origin, is quite solid at this point.  At least it is in my user experience.  The remote also works nicely (haven't tried Origin; I'm assuming the remote works with it as well).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

After an hour, navigation is possible, AO is synchronizing in the background.

AS had trouble in playing DSD. so this is the first track to play, Des'ree Supernatural SACD as dsf.

Accuphase DAC Playback is PCM converted and the DSD settings are greyed out, it's a subtle non purple. The DAC can natively play DSD, Jriver does it all the time. 11GB buffer. It does play immediately compared to AS which plays when it decides.

image.thumb.png.1302b8b988082253a3700f2ed4d16f3f.png

Oh, the circle brigade, hate it already.

image.thumb.png.4e643ccf33e9e1a828932065e1e67fb6.png

But delve into the albums, and the squares are back!

image.thumb.png.50dc1c03a4c6c571f05ddf8e7dd3c5d3.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Anyone know if AS and Origin sound the same? One’s SQ better than the other’s?

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

Accuphase DAC Playback is PCM converted and the DSD settings are greyed out, it's a subtle non purple. The DAC can natively play DSD, Jriver does it all the time.

You’ll want to check the DAC settings in Origin. Are you playing direct from DAC or over a network?

Edit: Never mind, I see the DAC settings show DSD256 capability. So then you want to tell Origin you’d like it to upsample (presumably to DSD256).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

You’ll want to check the DAC settings in Origin. Are you playing direct from DAC or over a network?

Edit: Never mind, I see the DAC settings show DSD256 capability. So then you want to tell Origin you’d like it to upsample (presumably to DSD256).

Puzzling settings, here the choices are shown, but there's no native DSD pass through.  ASIO driver is directly written, don't understand. For MAC is DSD over PCM. 

To arrive at this panel, the 'exclusive audio access mode activated,' a purple padlock to the right of the DAC volume needs to be open.

Pausing the trac does not unload the driver, there used to be STOP input, that disconnected Audirvana from playback altogether. Can't see this now in Origin.

For PCM up sampling panel, each sample rate is converted to itself in the custom screen. I don't x2 or x4, upsample to DSD, just play the file as is.

image.png.41e0243ce3992b8521e6ae0ce957ddb5.png

Cannot get used to the Artists circles, and the Albums as square pictures, prefer the latter. . Roon suffered innumerable problems by cropping square photos to circles, just find it an affront to have both here., don't learn, huh.

The Dark mode is too dark and light mode is washed.  There's a button left hand corner that toggles the Audirvana name in the window border. Whatever floats your boat...

The SQ compared to Jriver is dynamic, resolution sharper, this is on a humble office system. Main system is de-commissioned due to renovations in the lounge.

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

Did the Studio version work? I couldn't get that POS to install.

It installed, but that is it. It said I had no account, etc. Wouldn't run for me at all.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Having started an AO trial on Windows, I played some very different DSD tracks (preferred format for my Holo Audio SPring 3 L2 DAC). For all tracks I have a preference for PureAsioPlayer (PAP). AO comes close but is slightly less relaxed, a bit more strident in the highs. I did not do any on the fly processing or upsampling to keep the comparison fair. Fwiiw... Of course AO has more functional possibilities than the Spartan PAP.

audio system

In the past, Audirvana players always had a superior sound when I compared them to Roon. But Roon made a great effort in the last months to improve the sound of its player. 

Since yesterday, I compared in my setup Origin to Roon with the tracks of some 20 albums of various genres, styles, and file formats.

In my system, the sound of both players is very close. But I get with Roon a better separation of the instruments (classical and Jazz music), and its sound is slightly more punchy with more body. 

I conducted all the tests in bit-perfect mode. 

My setup is described in the signature. 

5 hours ago, Dandou said:

In the past, Audirvana players always had a superior sound when I compared them to Roon. But Roon made a great effort in the last months to improve the sound of its player. 

Since yesterday, I compared in my setup Origin to Roon with the tracks of some 20 albums of various genres, styles, and file formats.

In my system, the sound of both players is very close. But I get with Roon a better separation of the instruments (classical and Jazz music), and its sound is slightly more punchy with more body. 

I conducted all the tests in bit-perfect mode. 

My setup is described in the signature. 

I would agree with Audirvana and the sound, since the studio model goofed the UI and didn't work at all (for me after many times to try), Roon is being discarded (at least more than 12 months now, don't miss it) for many things including SQ. Roon thinks it knows better, if it doesn't work on the network it's your network, anyway the list goes on.

You could find if you move Audirvana to the M1 it might work better than the noise from the screen in the laptop. 

Now added 11 new albums, 3-4 are 192 files, the rest are Redbook. Base count is 138,954 tracks. Made a hot dog, backed up the new files to portable drive that's about 15-20 minutes, and syncing is still working.

Now is it the size of the library, or that 11 albums are taking probably close to 40 minutes to add? The selection of Recently Added hasn't changed, despite selecting Date added. modified and a few others.

Syncing is finished, yes about 40 minutes and the 'Recently Added' hasn't changed one bit.  Restarted, no change, but resyncing on data that hasn't changed, so AO must be trawling the whole library, instead of finding changes, Compare programs (like Beyond Compare) are lightning fast for music files and detect metadata changes within less than 60s for 9TB of files.. Minimserver took less than 20s for a rescan. 

Frankly, this is useless, and that's an F. Fail.

Search.

Oh, looking for Autumn in Seattle, a newly added album, since I can't see the latest Recently added....

image.thumb.png.5678fd682d361499c5db2f0a9ba923e2.png

Not there? Add in 'in'  There it is. 🙄 'Autumn in New York 'has disappeared from Tracks. I thought Roon was hopeless, I rather just use File Explorer, gives better results than Origin.

image.thumb.png.d04a01be2037e88221cac16e2e781b13.png

Also badly worded SPL Rate, Sound Pressure Level confusing "Sampling' or fs also acceptable, but not SPL. BTW how to resize columns permanently?

image.thumb.png.544fe98ea235e02e50a3772d1124070d.png

At least AO is stable, easy to switch between tracks/albums/sample rates and hasn't crashed just yet, which AS did frequently, SQ, is very nice indeed, is just the library functions / database management has holes that are easily found and not as annoying as Roon, but give it time and they will pi$$ me off.

Future scans will be faster, if my experience with Studio is any indication.  12K files takes AS maybe 20 seconds, guesstimating.

6 hours ago, One and a half said:

You could find if you move Audirvana to the M1 it might work better than the noise from the screen in the laptop. 

Both Origin and Roon were tested on the Mac Mini M1. They streamed to the GentooPlayer Diretta Host who streamed their sound to the GentooPlayer Diretta Target (the Allo USBridge Sig network player). 

Audirvana Plus that appears on the signature on a laptop has nothing to do with the trial. 

The duration of the scan is quite similar to the one of previous Audirvana players, like 3.5. 

An issue that I noticed is that the player imports to its library files in formats that it can not read instead of ignoring them. 

It is the case with DSF-WV albums. They appear in the library, like all the other albums, but won't play. 

15 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Audirvana has always been slow for me, when looking at my files. I’ve never bothered to look at what it does different from the other apps that also scan my files. I know Roon takes several days to initially scan my library. 

Roon indexing would drive me crazy, being so long. Volumio 2 took 5.5 hrs to idex and that was a lifetime to me. I don't care about the software telling me artists who are similar. I find so much music, on my own, I just want it to play.

Still cannot get AO to work, if it is that hard to get a trial started, I will stick with what I am using, for now.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

Similar mess in "Albums view" in which the albums are sorted by "Album Artist". 

Albums of Art Blakey are followed this time by an album by John McLaughin, followed by albums Paco de Lucia, followed by Stevie Ray Vaughan, followed by some other albums of Paco de Lucia, Stevie Ray Vaughan again with some other albums, again  Paco de Lucia, again Stevie Ray Vaughan, followed by albums of Gil Evans, Paco de Lucia once more, Stevie Ray Vaughan once more, followed Ashley Henri… 

Capture d’écran 2022-04-17 à 21.13.13.png