IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are ahead of their times...  :)

macOS Ventura (dev 13.0 beta 1) 

Yes i know it is f**king early   😀
i have move from real Monterey 12.4 to Monterey beta 5 because of bad wifi between Mac(s)
and internet not stable… 12.5b beta was perfect, then i saw first beta from next OS… Ventura

i had time to spent, and i spent some time    😀 
Mostly because of Apple. Preferences panel is tough to get through and find things
compare to all other version of OS before… at this time in the beta testing,
Little Snitch not there yet, but they are working on it now...

Had trouble a bit with system optimizer at first, but with restarts and copying my old files to the folders they where before, and deleting them from where i put them because of errors and restarting, all is working fine now   😀 

Music is playing fine, my FabFilter Pro-Q 3 plugin still is working fine,
i just put my .sqlite where it was from Monterey and my Audirvana Preferences too…

Origin and Ventura seems like going well together at first playing with those two…
i could be here tomorrow complaining… we never know   😀 

Please don’t try this if you don’t know how to backup and restore…
Music is the best… when playing   😀 

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

51 minutes ago, MemoryPlayer said:

My Origin trial is ending and no answer..., so I will not buy from an unresponsive company!

BTW, Origin sounds a little bit better than 3.50, but HQPlayer is a much better sound player than both of them...

I'm sure you have posted that question on Audirvana forum, not just here?

Ugliness can sound good, we agree :)

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

• 1 month later...

I have delayed trying Origin after my negative experience with Studio. Today I bit the bullet, and the trial is already over. The sound is great - clearly better than 3.5, which is good. But the rest of the program has the same characteristics that people complained about in Studio:

1. The navigation alphabet on down the right side of lists on the remote is gone. With thousands of albums / tens of thousands of tracks, it is virtually unusable. It can take 10 minutes to scroll down to letter R, for instance, most of the time waiting for the covers to load.
  2. You can no longer do anything with groups (again, using remote). They display (in really ugly all caps) but you can’t play them - there are no controls at the group level. For classical music, groups are everything as most pieces have more than one track.
  3. It’s still adding incorrect and bizarre artist information. Inexcusable. I want my metadata and ONLY my metadata. It is claimed that they are not changing the metadata, but if the program won’t use my metadata, what good is it? (And by the way, some of the stupid, incorrect data has filtered back to 3.5 after only about 10 minutes playing Origin.)

The sound is wonderful, but database management and navigation is unusable - far worse than version 1, or any of the updates up to 3.5

My metadata (in Yate) - Simon Rattle: London Symphony Orchestra
Origin’s metadata (on screen) - Sir Simon Rattle, London Symphony Orchestra, Simon Rattle, CBSO, Simon Rattle: London Symphony Orchestra

That’s right: For each track Sir Simon is displayed 3 times (once with honorific), the LSO is displayed twice, and the City of Birmingham SO (which Sir Simon had left 21 years before this recording) is thrown in once just for fun.

There are other examples where Origin has added a second conductor who had nothing to do with the recording listed.

Love the sound. Happy to pay the price for that sound. But I won’t use this mess of a user interface, and and I can’t deal with the arrogance of replacing careful and accurate metadata.

• 1 month later...

Audirvana Origin operates to an ASIO USB DAC input with my system, has done so for many months.

I thought I was hearing things some time ago, must be more volume and less background noise today, there's a distinct hiss for a half a second prior to any track starting, affects redbook or DSD doesn't matter. 

Thought it was the DAC driver was dropping out with conclusion of a track or cable something, Jriver Media Center V27 plays just fine, so the hardware is OK.

Memory allocation is generous. Is there a fix for this?

Oh I had to restart the computer, some unexpected network traffic starved Audirvana, saw a ghost, went pale, well, even Task Manager could not delete, so had to restart.

Indexing is as slow as EVAH, nothing's changed, why do I put up with this JUNK?

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Maybe you should try the version 2.0 in beta mode available on audirvana forum...

3 hours ago, One and a half said:

Audirvana Origin operates to an ASIO USB DAC input with my system, has done so for many months.

I thought I was hearing things some time ago, must be more volume and less background noise today, there's a distinct hiss for a half a second prior to any track starting, affects redbook or DSD doesn't matter. 

Thought it was the DAC driver was dropping out with conclusion of a track or cable something, Jriver Media Center V27 plays just fine, so the hardware is OK.

Memory allocation is generous. Is there a fix for this?

Oh I had to restart the computer, some unexpected network traffic starved Audirvana, saw a ghost, went pale, well, even Task Manager could not delete, so had to restart.

Indexing is as slow as EVAH, nothing's changed, why do I put up with this JUNK?

Just haven't had problems like that, so must have different system configurations. Particularly with the beta now they're interested in good careful bug feedback, so testing could help you and them.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes if you have origin you could ask @Antoine a free beta subscription with studio. When done Origin will be updated also, mid ictober

36 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Yes if you have origin you could ask @Antoine a free beta subscription with studio. When done Origin will be updated also, mid ictober

I'm not interested in Studio. I assumed, since the poster's complaints were about Origin,that the response to try the beta was also origin.

• 3 weeks later...

Audirvana Origin File management - Drama

With house renovations starting in March this year, the audio system had to be moved to another room. This meant no listening to 'real' music until now October. The new room still needs some work to fix walls, anyway string tested the audio system to evaluate if the sound is crappy, work out speaker locations and so on. After such time, I was surprised to see the Lumin working, but both the Esoteric and the Lumin app kept searching, for hours on end and not increasing the album count. On the iPad, best possible was 7800, Android Lumin, best 7100, the total album count is 9833. What goes on? So what has Minimserver, Lumin have in common or affected with Audirvana? Quick step by step.

1. CHKDSK /X /F both Music drives on the NAS-21 server. Only minor indexes updated, no repairing of files reported, good.

2. Restart Minimserver, checked the logs, hmm a lot of updated files in the log. Mininmserver was always running in the background like it always does since March. Every now and again added albums, using Jriver and Origin on the office PC.

3. Beyond Compared the complete backup versus what was on the disk, oh wow, hundreds of albums are different talk about pick and choose tracks, although the files size is the same. Ahh, metadata changes. From some albums, it changed only a couple of tracks, others whole albums. The date of change is important as it's the same day.

Wind back a few weeks ago, late September, I installed Audirvana Origin on a MAC mini, as it feeds a Sony HT-A7000 speaker system (Yes, it's Atmos and sounds confused) via Sony TA-ZH1ES DAC, and it too missed out on many albums. only 1700 albums. The date stamp of the file change occurred all on the one day. Found the culprit with Audirvana trying to catalog files and messing up. Even though Audirvana Origin claims at the top of the library settings, it doesn't duplicate the original files, there's proof that it screws up the original metadata which takes a lot of work to be correct before any player indexes (catalogues). 

image.png.8ca94b5cdd04f141f2075a4cf621f042.png

So now Esoteric is updating, some 14,000 tracks and Beyond Compare is restoring the original files from backup, hours of work to do. As far as I know, the network didn't suffer any power outages, so can rule that out, maybe a bad switch, but the Mac mini-A1 plays very large video files without much of a problem.  Origin is now deleted from the Mac mini and is only installed on the office PC. I see there's a Version 1.7 now that fixes some library issues, too late.

I still remember vividly from the Audirvana 3.x days, where it totally removed the whole library, just vanished completely. Yes, the leopard does not change its spots. Junk software.

The issue was reported to the Audirvana Forum, for some reason DM replies go nowhere as Google mail informs and are not received by Antoine, another stuff up. 

Who needs the stress?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!
I don't know what to choose..
I take Audirvana, I would like to get the maximum playback quality from files from an external drive.
 Can't decide what to use:
 Windows PC on Intel
 MacOS on Intel
 Mac OS M1

Which is better for macOS:
 MacMini
 iMac 24

Thanks

Yet another oddity with Audirvana Origin.

When using Minimserver and Lumin App to Lumin U1, the U1 displays the type and fs of the track played.

There's only FLAC, DSD in the whole library and these are displayed, yet, when Audirvana streams to the Lumin, any FLAC is displayed as WAV. Even Jriver streams FLAC or DSD.

Is there no end to the quirks?

34 minutes ago, One and a half said:

when Audirvana streams to the Lumin, any FLAC is displayed as WAV. Even Jriver streams FLAC

This is not an oddity. Audirvana decompresses PCM files, and streams them in WAV. This way, the streamer does not have to decompress the tracks. A lower CPU load on the streamer results in less electrical noise, and a better sound. 

You can configure JRiver to do the same.