IGNORED

Audirvana Origin

17 hours ago, feelingears said:

Thanks, @jgeffen. What is supremely frustrating is that the bugs appear to be basic things like songs stopping unexpectedly mid-song, songs replaying when they shouldn't be, playback buttons simply working, and random interface components not working when clicked. I suffered through too much photo software "public beta testing" back in the day. Life's too short. The sound does so far appeal, however. To be honest, I do have some hope/desire for improvements, thank you @Jud for encouraging me to discover this!

But I also am wondering about what this "new software" and pricing maneuver means as others have pointed out already. Is this tantamount to a going concern disclosure (if the company were public/being audited)? It seems unclear to me given the history of comments on the original versions before Origin here.

It looks like the problems I have had with my former streamer in the past. Those problems are difficult 😞 to solve by Audirvāna, because the DLNA/UPnP implementation on certain streamers are not ‘straight forward’, so I replaced my Yamaha streamer wit an Lindemann audio bridge 2, and that device is working perfectly with Audirvāna. I guess any pure audio bridge will work perfectly, because the manufacturers of such devices have no reason to alter the DLNA/UPnP software.

7 hours ago, jgeffen said:

It looks like the problems I have had with my former streamer in the past. Those problems are difficult 😞 to solve by Audirvāna, because the DLNA/UPnP implementation on certain streamers are not ‘straight forward’, so I replaced my Yamaha streamer wit an Lindemann audio bridge 2, and that device is working perfectly with Audirvāna. I guess any pure audio bridge will work perfectly, because the manufacturers of such devices have no reason to alter the DLNA/UPnP software.

Yes, this is a key thing to realize - implementation of the UPnP/DLNA "standard" is riddled with exceptions. So software developers are confronted with the choice of implementing the standard and providing workarounds for the hundreds of different exceptions, or going off in some non-standard direction of their own.

This is over and above any other network glitches that may exist. The few times I've had problems with Audirvana, I've tried HQPlayer and gotten the same results. So all of the Audirvana "bugs" may not be Audirvana's. (Certainly some will be, but be alert to the possibility that not all are.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, this is a key thing to realize - implementation of the UPnP/DLNA "standard" is riddled with exceptions. So software developers are confronted with the choice of implementing the standard and providing workarounds for the hundreds of different exceptions, or going off in some non-standard direction of their own.

This is over and above any other network glitches that may exist. The few times I've had problems with Audirvana, I've tried HQPlayer and gotten the same results. So all of the Audirvana "bugs" may not be Audirvana's. (Certainly some will be, but be alert to the possibility that not all are.)

This can't be stressed enough. The variables involved are endless. 

I continue to push for additional options such as software and hardware implementing Ravenna. Ravenna is incredibly robust and is based on the AES67 standard. It works when there are no second chances at a live broadcast and when recording 129 members of the Berliner Philharmoniker.

In a way I'm surprised at the acceptance of UPnP/DLNA by audiophiles over something like Ravenna. Perhaps we have no choice for now. I use Audirvana Studio with Ravenna and can report it's rock solid. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

In a way I'm surprised at the acceptance of UPnP/DLNA by audiophiles over something like Ravenna. Perhaps we have no choice for now. I use Audirvana Studio with Ravenna and can report it's rock solid. 

I found this: https://www.micromedia.ch/?product=digimedia-hpa-dac-for-aes67-ravenna

Know of any other DACs under $2000 that use Ravenna?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I found this: https://www.micromedia.ch/?product=digimedia-hpa-dac-for-aes67-ravenna

The Merging Anubis Pro is $1,999, the Anubis Premium is $2,499

https://www.merging.com/anubis

Merging also offers its ZMan OEM module for manufacturers who want it in their components. 

https://www.merging.com/products/zman-oem

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 hours ago, Jud said:

I should add, I'd love to see a manual for that device. I'm skeptical given that it mentions a few different protocols, AES67, Ravenna, and Livewire+. AES67 is the lowest common denominator, because Ravenna and Livewire+ are supersets of AES67, but has the least features and support for high resolution. 

@The Computer Audiophile Article ideas? "Using Ravenna with Audirvana" or "Ravenna Audio Networking for Home Audiophiles"?

How does Dante audio networking compare to Ravenna? Asking because I read somewhere that you can use Dante Virtual Soundcard and then find endpoints to convert the Dante data to AES for use with DACs, etc. I don't know enough about computer networking or pro audio networking to assess the ease or practicality of this, but I know the person who suggested it uses Dante with JRiver.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

5 hours ago, feelingears said:

@The Computer Audiophile Article ideas? "Using Ravenna with Audirvana" or "Ravenna Audio Networking for Home Audiophiles"?

How does Dante audio networking compare to Ravenna? Asking because I read somewhere that you can use Dante Virtual Soundcard and then find endpoints to convert the Dante data to AES for use with DACs, etc. I don't know enough about computer networking or pro audio networking to assess the ease or practicality of this, but I know the person who suggested it uses Dante with JRiver.

Here’s a start. 

There may be some resolution limitations involved with current Ravenna hardware and software. The Anubis Pro has a max input resolution of 192kHz; Anubis Premium will accept up to DSD256.

I seem to recall a while back reading that Dante hardware at the time was limited to 96kHz, but I have no idea if that's still true (if it ever was).

On 5/2/2022 at 8:46 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thinking more about this. I don’t know of another company / developer who has or would create a second version of its product, based on consumers asking for it. Think about the other apps on the market, and ask your self how the conversation would go if you asked for the equivalent of Audirvana Origin. 

Kudos to Damien and team for being responsive. 

I absolutely agree. Is there a discount for those who have been customers of 1 series, 2 series and 3 series, let alone Studio? I have bought in several times, baulked a bit at the subscription model but pleased at it's performance. 

15 minutes ago, greentrumpet said:

Is there a discount for those who have been customers

There is a discount for all the customers who bought any Audirvana player in the past or subscribed to Studio. 

The price for them is of €89.99 / $89.99, instead of €119.99 / $119.99. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I use Audirvana Studio with Ravenna and can report it's rock solid. 

Hi, I use the Merging Hapi mk2 as a mastering engineer and would like to get Audirvana streaming to it via Ravenna but I cannot find a setup guide anywhere. 

Is there a resource you can point me to or instructions on how to get Audirvana’s AES67 I/O sinks posted on the network for me route from?

Thanks for any help you can give. 

2 hours ago, Mark Robinson said:

Hi, I use the Merging Hapi mk2 as a mastering engineer and would like to get Audirvana streaming to it via Ravenna but I cannot find a setup guide anywhere. 

Is there a resource you can point me to or instructions on how to get Audirvana’s AES67 I/O sinks posted on the network for me route from?

Thanks for any help you can give. 

Hi Mark, I’ve been using the Anubis and received my HAPI MkII yesterday. I have both working with Audirvana. I’m sending 7.1.4 12 channel Atmos content from Audirvana to them.

Which operating system are you using and how many channels? 

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Mark, I’ve been using the Anubis and received my HAPI MkII yesterday. I have both working with Audirvana. I’m sending 7.1.4 12 channel Atmos content from Audirvana to them.

Which operating system are you using and how many channels? 

Im using Mac OS 12.3.1 on an intel and Audirvana Studio 1.12.2.

7.1.4 over AES67 is impressive. All I need is a single stereo feed.  

I have been using the Merging Core Audio driver with Audirvana np, but Id like to bypass CA with Ravenna.

Really grateful for your help.

1 hour ago, Mark Robinson said:

Im using Mac OS 12.3.1 on an intel and Audirvana Studio 1.12.2.

7.1.4 over AES67 is impressive. All I need is a single stereo feed.  

I have been using the Merging Core Audio driver with Audirvana np, but Id like to bypass CA with Ravenna.

Really grateful for your help.

Are you using the latest VAD?

https://confluence.merging.com/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=15139496#content/view/15139496

21 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Yes, using the latest VAD, but maybe im wrong in assuming that Audirvana creates its own AES67 appliance on the network?  

VAD essentially turns Apple's Core Audio into a Ravenna device, allowing any native Mac OS sound app (Audirvana included) to communicate with any Merging hardware device broadcasting to the Ravenna network.

However, Core Audio is the middleman you want to avoid at all costs IMO. My tests have confirmed that Core Audio degrades sound quality and should be bypassed during critical recording or playback whenever possible.

If Audirvana can communicate as a direct AES67 appliance on the network,  then we can avoid going thru VAD's Core Audio driver.  This is what Im looking for.

14 minutes ago, Mark Robinson said:

Yes, using the latest VAD, but maybe im wrong in assuming that Audirvana creates its own AES67 appliance on the network?  

VAD essentially turns Apple's Core Audio into a Ravenna device, allowing any native Mac OS sound app (Audirvana included) to communicate with any Merging hardware device broadcasting to the Ravenna network.

However, Core Audio is the middleman you want to avoid at all costs IMO. My tests have confirmed that Core Audio degrades sound quality and should be bypassed during critical recording or playback whenever possible.

If Audirvana can communicate as a direct AES67 appliance on the network,  then we can avoid going thru VAD's Core Audio driver.  This is what Im looking for.

Ah, I see. You’re looking for an ASIO equivalent on macOS. 

51 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah, I see. You’re looking for an ASIO equivalent on macOS. 

That's right. From what I understand, a direct AES67 device (with no core audio involved) uses a pure integer transmission, which means no floating point container.  Core Audio puts everything into FP and thru its AU module layers (SRC, summation, wordlenth, and gain) before handing off to Ravenna. No bueno.

Does Audirvana Direct Mode work with Ravenna?

Very disappointed to find that Audirvana Origin does NOT connect to streaming services. When I first discovered that Audirvana had released Origin, I thought it was in response to those like myself who did not want to have the Audio subscription setup.

I thought that Origin meant it was an updated version of Audirvana 3.5 and that the company had recognised its own roots.

Sadly therefore, I will be staying with my old 3.5. Origin is useless to me because it ONLY shows me what I have got saved 'locally' and does not allow me to see my Qobuz collection.

Why would a company produce a new product which does not meet most peoples' modern day requirements, when folk like myself therefore choose to stay with the older product and the company will make less money?