IGNORED

OPTIMO_ATX - truly linear ATX power supply

11 hours ago, ASRMichael said:

Marcin

I’m not trying to be a pain here but Sean Jacobs DC range is True Linear Power supply. Many use his LPS for ATX. 

My question was more on the specific parts. Maybe details will follow in due course. 

Cheers

It's not an ATX power supply as far as I know. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

4 hours ago, Exocer said:

Hi Marcin, very interested in this unit. Any chance you'll be able to provide an approximate price range? Will there be a "smaller" option for those who already have an Optimo or smaller two-rail LPSU for PCI-E cards?

There will be one model with some options that will affect the price. 

I will announce the price when the product is ready. 

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Marcin_gps said:

OPTIMO ATX – world’s first truly linear ATX PSU for audiophiles. We are almost there.

The heart of JCAT OPTIMO ATX PSU’s is a separate  Linear Regulator Board for each power line; 12V, 5V and 3.3V, providing 23A of continuous current. Its main components are: rectifier, smoothing capacitors bank and linear regulators.

KEY DESIGN FEATURES:

ACTIVE RECTIFIER

For the OPTIMO ATX whopping current we designed unique active rectifier. It is using MOS FET transistors instead of diodes that are switched at zero points of AC waveform by special circuit. The MOS FET in this application has forward resistance below 1 mOhm (0.001 Ohm) – this outperforms diode resulting in much better dynamic response. JCAT designed analog control circuit with so called “floating ground” which means that there is no ground connection for rectifier at any point that otherwise might be path for introducing noise into DC circuit. This further ensures best noise performance as with GHz speed of MOS FETs there is practically no switching noise.

SUPERB PERFORMANCE

Eleven low impedance capacitors of total 110mF (110.000 uF) will ensure outstanding dynamic performance of OPTIMO ATX. On the graph below, the green line shows output voltage. You can observe superb response for step change of load (turquoise line).

pic_01_smoothing_capacitors_16.97v_10mf_

CAPACITORS BANK

We chose high quality 105 Celcius degrees capacitors for trouble free operation in years to come, and designed in significant margin so even with some capacitance lost over time, there will be no effect on the OPTIMO ATX’s performance. Built to last, as we like things in JCAT.

optimoatxboard6.jpeg?resize=472%2C1024&s

LINEAR REGULATORS

The OPTIMO ATX is world’s first truly linear ATX power supply with no switching power circuits at any point. For cutting edge performance, instead of discrete elements, we used 11 state of an art LT3086 integrated linear regulators working in parallel. In result, the RMS noise of the OPTIMO ATX is impressive <15uV. We carefully optimised the PCB layout for shortest signal path, impedance and heat dispatch.

img_20201124_134530.jpeg?resize=1024%2C4

SUPERB BUILD QUALITY

High quality components, from resistors to connectors. Significant design margins. Gold plated 70 um copper PCB. Heat transfer elements made of pure copper. EU placed supply chain. Everything to ensure superb quality. The OPTIMO ATX PSU complies with these safety regulations: directive 2014/35/UE EMC, 2014/30/UE RoHS 2, 2011/65/UE, EN 62368-1, EN 50419 and EN-61558-1.

img_20201124_125102.jpeg?resize=1024%2C3

DISCLAIMER

All above information and specifications are preliminary/prototype and final product may vary.

Very nice Marcin. Two questions, what are its input requirements? And of course what does it cost?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

I'll be following this thread, if I understand this properly @Marcin_gpsthis will be purposed to power PC components like motherboard, cpu and such with moderate power requirements like miniITX or mATX boards, efficient CPU's etc. is that accurate? if so considering the 23 amps total this would be "similar" and I understand this is linear not switching, to let's say a conventional 250W ATX PS (and I mean conventional from the comparisons standpoint as I know this ATX linear PS is not conventional at all)

Thank you

Luis V

6 minutes ago, Vlaag said:

It will be a great update for my 2 kecess p8’s powering the pc. I wonder what casing and cables are required

It will come in a nice enclosure with high-quality DC cables.  (render image of the enclosure below)

Picture1.jpg.766cfaa5b16e3b8ba7a1f4c9a058f5d2.jpg

The pictures above show only one regulator board. There will be 3 regulator boards (for each power line; 12V, 5V and 3.3V), power transformers (separate for each line) and control logic board. 

In other words; it's a plug & play product requiring no expert knowledge from a user. 

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Can you give some perspective what to expect sound wise with the Optimo ATX when I have PC with standard ATX PSU but have already USB XE card (with Farad3 LPS), USB+LAN Ground conditioner and Net Isolator?

How substantial improvement it would be in such combination? (maybe also relatively vs. the USB XE and separate LPS for USB XE)

How about the length of PSU cables? Just wondering out loud possible setup if I ever obtained one when I have mid tower ATX case. Any chance having Optimo ATX on the table and leave PC on the floor as it is now? Probably need to invest some similar PC case such the one with Optimo ATX and stack them on top of other...

Minimum 3k obviously sounds little steep, but when I have not any other LPS's to computer parts, then I see it more sensible.

10 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hi @Marcin_gps

This looks very impressive! A couple of quick questions: if powering a mobo with this Linear ATX PSU:

• Does the PSU have a separate 12V rail for EPS? Or will CPU power come from the 12V rail on ATX?
  • If using the XE USB and Net cards, can these card now operate (with optimal SQ) on bus power, or does the user still need 2 more external 5V rails for these cards?

Also, how do you envisage this evolving as the ATX12VO standard becomes more prevalent?

Thanks.

Hi @austinpop

Good questions! 

During R&D we experimented a lot with different setups and cables, including connecting separate regulator for CPU power line. Optimo ATX will come with standard cables including ATX connector and CPU power connector, though this lines share common regulator.

However in most computer mainboards those power lines are connected anyway, and separate cable for CPU is only to provide enough power for high TDP processors that ATX cable alone can’t support. In most computers with 35W TDP processor you can disconnect CPU cable and computer will run just fine.

The Optimo ATX will provide superb sound quality powering JCAT USB and network cards, however on our test rig we still observe some improvement using the Optimo 3 Duo for the cards. I think that this comes as no surprise as the Optimo 3 Duo is superior in terms of power quality over the Optimo ATX and these most sensitive components will benefit from that extra quality. 

ATX12VO is still a song of the future as most platforms on the market are ATX, we also expect some compatibility of ATX12VO mainboards with adapters especially for lower power platforms. Developing our ATX we kept this new standard in mind. Based on the  technology developed for the Optimo ATX we will be able to build audiophile quality ATX12VO standard power supply when the time comes.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
Marcin Ostapowicz
JPLAY & JCAT Founder

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Hello@Marcin_gps,

I'm new on the forum and at the moment building a new PC which is a bit of a mix between the Taiko and Pink Faun and looking for a very good PSU to feed this build.

You mention also a matching PC case, 

Can this case house a full EATX board and how is the cooling solution?

What are the dimensions of the case, the provided picture of the PSU internals is a bit to small to see the dimensions.

My new build has 5 Low profile PCI cards, can this fit in the case

Are there any special futures in the case, like damping or compartments to house peripherals?

Thanks!

12 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

In my experience, the SQ only increases significantly when the CPU is supplied with power directly. I reported here:

I suspect it is because of the bypassing of the 400W HDPLEX DC / ATX converter. This would no longer be necessary with the Optimo ATX. I am very interested. 👍

Hello, i use my setup as a server and not player. Bypassing the dc/atx module (400 or 800w HDPlex) using the HDPlex 400w lpsu atx rail improved a lot the performance in terms of sound stage, fluidity and impact. 

@StreamFidelityfully agree with you 

20 hours ago, AME said:

Hello@Marcin_gps,

I'm new on the forum and at the moment building a new PC which is a bit of a mix between the Taiko and Pink Faun and looking for a very good PSU to feed this build.

You mention also a matching PC case, 

Can this case house a full EATX board and how is the cooling solution?

What are the dimensions of the case, the provided picture of the PSU internals is a bit to small to see the dimensions.

My new build has 5 Low profile PCI cards, can this fit in the case

Are there any special futures in the case, like damping or compartments to house peripherals?

Thanks!

Full ATX stadard only. We have not decided on cooling yet. 

Please note that the maximum CPU TDP for the OPTIMO ATX is 95W (see below)

image.thumb.png.9578d487df775d70ce6ae95d79bc55de.png

11 hours ago, Dev said:

@Marcin_gps any plans to build a DC-DC ATX power supply, similar to Hdplex 400w/800w units ? Those with their own DC power supply (non-ATX) might benefit from this.

We have no plans for a DC-DC ATX power supply. 

In our experience the biggest improvement comes from using a clean 12V LPS. And some DC-DC ATX boards pass-through the 12V from the external PSU to the motherboard / CPU. So for customers using DC-DC ATX converters we will have a powerful single-rail LPS (based on the OPTIMO ATX's  Linear Regulator Board )

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 2 months later...

Enthusiastically following this thread.  Wondering if a release date eminent. 

Starlink ISP -- > QNAP QSW-308S 10 GbE SWITCH  ---> Supra CAT 8+ & Audio Silver Dragon Network Cable  ---> QNAP TVS-672X NAS ---> DIY Music Server  with JCAT NET XE PCIE  and JCAT USB XE PCIE card (both powered with JCAT Initio 3 LPS) ---> Phasure Audio Lush^3 USB ---> Audiowise SRC-DX -- > Audiowise LP•FILTER ---> Dual Moon Audio Black Dragon BNC Coax Cables ---> Audiowise DC•Block  ---> Chord Electronics DAVE (Dual BNC input Connectors) ---> DAVE Balanced XLR output ---> Black Dragon balanced XLR cables ---> Hegel H20 Amp (Chord DAVE is the pre) ---> Morrow Audio SP6 Speaker Cable Pair ---> KEF Reference 1 3-way speakers