IGNORED

OPTIMO_ATX - truly linear ATX power supply

6 hours ago, Gato said:

120 hours now that the JCAT Optima ATX is powered up and powering the i9-12900K+JCAT NET Card XE+SOtM tX-USBexp.
What can I say... Whouahhhh: timbre accuracy, warmth, details, realistic soundstage (no, no, no more than that).  I had dreamed of it, I really needed it, it's done: a pure delight!

Thanks a lot for the report and enjoy! :)

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

Some more information about a Windows Server 2019 Standard VHD loaded in RAM using HQPlayer 4 Desktop 4.15.1 running on:

• JCAT Optimo ATX powering:
    • Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4
    • i9-12900K
    • Corsair Vengeance LPX, DDR4, 32GB (2 x 16GB), 3200MHz
    • Asus GT710 SL 1GD5
    • JCAT NET Card XE
  • using SOtM tX-USBexp (externaly powered) linked to a T+A DAC 8 DSD:

thumbnail_IMG_8230.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8231.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8232.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8233.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8234.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8235.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8236.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8237.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8238.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8239.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8240.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8241.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8242.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8243.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8244.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8245.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8247.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8248.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_8249.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've been trying to wrap my head around the use of a linear power supply for a PC and I'm very intrigued with the Optimo S ATX. I have a few questions if someone could help me:

1. If the Optimo S ATX is designed for 95W TDP processors, does that mean it's not compatible with the new Intel Alder Lake i9-12900K chips (125W TDP)? Or would it work, but be slightly under powered?
  2. If the 12V 23A rail is for the CPU EPS and has only one 8pin connection from the power supply, what do you do if your motherboard has 2x 8pin EPS CPU connections? Just connect one?
  3. Exactly how many Volts/Amps is going to the ATX connection? Is the 5V 20A rail for the ATX? 
  4. How much power should be fed to a typical Z690 motherboard through its ATX?

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Audio_fiend said:

If the Optimo S ATX is designed for 95W TDP processors, does that mean it's not compatible with the new Intel Alder Lake i9-12900K chips (125W TDP)? Or would it work, but be slightly under powered?

TDP (Thermal Design Power) is the maximum thermal power dissipation generated by a chip (like a CPU) based on which a cooling solution is designed. Important: This is a nominal value. The actual power dissipation may be higher or lower. 

If you buy a high-quality JCAT OPTOMO S ATX LPS, you should use passive cooling in my opinion. It follows that the Turbo performance must remain well below 5GHz per core, otherwise there is a risk of overheating. I therefore limit the clock rate to 4.40GHz. This works very well with the HQPlayer (PCM to 1024DSD conversion), for example. 

If the 12V 23A rail is for the CPU EPS and has only one 8pin connection from the power supply, what do you do if your motherboard has 2x 8pin EPS CPU connections? Just connect one?

That is also my point of criticism. I would like to connect two Molex CPU EPS with 12V, which would be possible. Of course one connector is enough, but the current is better distributed on the motherboard if two Molex 8 PIN can be connected. Maybe @Marcin_gps can say something about this. 

Exactly how many Volts/Amps is going to the ATX connection? Is the 5V 20A rail for the ATX? 

Look at the ATX power specification. They are 3.3V, 5V and 12V.

How much power should be fed to a typical Z690 motherboard through its ATX?

The OPTIMO S ATX only got hand-warm with this core load of an i9-12900K CPU. It sounds great.

43262940mu.png

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

Look at the ATX power specification. They are 3.3V, 5V and 12V.

The OPTIMO S ATX only got hand-warm with this core load of an i9-12900K CPU. It sounds great.

I guess what I meant was, exactly how much power (Volts/Amps) is needed through the 24pin connection to power a Z690 motherboard properly? 

Thanks StreamFidelity! I've read your thread with great enthusiasm!

On 3/28/2022 at 4:40 PM, Audio_fiend said:

I guess what I meant was, exactly how much power (Volts/Amps) is needed through the 24pin connection to power a Z690 motherboard properly? 

Thanks StreamFidelity! I've read your thread with great enthusiasm!

This depends on many factors: CPU model, RAM, expansion cards. 

However, for OPTIMO S ATX this is no issue as it provides plenty of power.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best regards, 

Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 3/28/2022 at 3:22 PM, StreamFidelity said:

That is also my point of criticism. I would like to connect two Molex CPU EPS with 12V, which would be possible. Of course one connector is enough, but the current is better distributed on the motherboard if two Molex 8 PIN can be connected. Maybe @Marcin_gps can say something about this. 

@Marcin_gps Curious if this question was ever addressed? 

On 9/16/2022 at 10:46 PM, baconbrain said:

@Marcin_gps Curious if this question was ever addressed? 

Yes, it's a good question. 

Why do we include only a single 8PIN connector for the CPU with our OPTIMO S ATX?

Simply, because it is enough. According to CPUs up to 95W TDP even 4-PIN CPU connector is enough. 8-PIN can withstand 36A which is more than OPTIMO S ATX can output and way above the requirements.

Adding another CPU connector, so that it made any sense on our motherboard inside the OPTIMO S ATX is not possible.  On top of that, it would open potential issues with ground loops. 

We considered this, but we don't see any benefits for SQ. I hope this answers your question.

Should you need any further assistance please let me know.

Best regards,
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

• 3 months later...

@Marcin_gps I just emailed this question to your website email but I suppose I can ask here as well. I run HQPlayer embedded on a machine that while fanless, also has a GPU to help with the upsampling HQP does. In a previous email conversation you did mention that you think your PSU would power this machine. I was just on your site looking again at the PSU and noticed there is only one PCI-e connector while my GPU requires two. Is there a way around that?

No electron left behind.