IGNORED

Is your favorite audio designer an objectivist or subjectivist or both?

From online stereophile - https://www.stereophile.com/content/aavik-acoustics-u-380-integrated-amplifier  discussing his latest integrated amp:

In describing his engineering goals, Børreson said, "When we come to hi-fi, the idea is to impose as little as absolutely possible on the sound. It's okay for a guitar amp to have a specific tone—a Gibson has a different character than a Fender—because some musicians like it. But when we reproduce things, we should be true to what's on the recording. We listen for scale, density, and color of tone, impact, slam, presence, and extension, [and work to] maximize dynamics rather than filtering them away. When you have a transient, how long does it remain floating in the room? How well and long can you hear the complexity of overtones to a violin? These things all relate to the extremes of resolution. You can measure distortion and other things, but they don't matter. Every time we take away noise, even if the noise level is below the floor at which we can hear, it matters. If you lower a power supply's noise suppression from –120dB to –130dB, it's so low that it shouldn't matter, but it does. As another example, you may not be able to hear above 14kHz, but if you play a sound wave at 18kHz and another at 19kHz, they modulate at 1kHz, which you can hear. Everything you design, you design from the point that enough is never enough."

So in which camp does he fall?  I haven't heard his products but enjoyed the interview about his products.  Hope folks add their favorite designer and discuss their approach.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

From online stereophile - https://www.stereophile.com/content/aavik-acoustics-u-380-integrated-amplifier  discussing his latest integrated amp:

In describing his engineering goals, Børreson said, "When we come to hi-fi, the idea is to impose as little as absolutely possible on the sound. It's okay for a guitar amp to have a specific tone—a Gibson has a different character than a Fender—because some musicians like it. But when we reproduce things, we should be true to what's on the recording. We listen for scale, density, and color of tone, impact, slam, presence, and extension, [and work to] maximize dynamics rather than filtering them away. When you have a transient, how long does it remain floating in the room? How well and long can you hear the complexity of overtones to a violin? These things all relate to the extremes of resolution. You can measure distortion and other things, but they don't matter. Every time we take away noise, even if the noise level is below the floor at which we can hear, it matters. If you lower a power supply's noise suppression from –120dB to –130dB, it's so low that it shouldn't matter, but it does. As another example, you may not be able to hear above 14kHz, but if you play a sound wave at 18kHz and another at 19kHz, they modulate at 1kHz, which you can hear. Everything you design, you design from the point that enough is never enough."

So in which camp does he fall?  I haven't heard his products but enjoyed the interview about his products.  Hope folks add their favorite designer and discuss their approach.   

He falls into the same camp as Nelson Pass, which is in both. Douglas Self on the other hand is anti Subjective, but his amplifier designs measure extremely well and can make a great starting point for further improvement using mainly the PSU area.

Yes, If you lower a power supply's noise suppression from –120dB to –130dB, it's so low that it shouldn't matter, but it does.¬¬

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Slightly OT, but relevant to speakers (and amps, and really just about any listening test):

If you disconnect/turn-off one speaker entirely--and listen to just one speaker--it is remarkable how apparent shortcomings become.  Have done this for decades--and it is very useful method when trying to evaluate subtle changes.  But I warn you, you might be shocked at how bad one speaker by itself can sound. Takes a bit of getting used to. :D

On 5/30/2020 at 8:33 AM, sandyk said:

He falls into the same camp as Nelson Pass, which is in both. Douglas Self on the other hand is anti Subjective, but his amplifier designs measure extremely well and can make a great starting point for further improvement using mainly the PSU area.

Yes, If you lower a power supply's noise suppression from –120dB to –130dB, it's so low that it shouldn't matter, but it does.¬¬

PS noise is not an issue, IME - but output impedance is. Normally gets worse, as in being a larger number, the higher the frequency - which is what causes the problems. Nothing like simulating in Spice what the circuit current draw does, in terms of generating voltage spikes at the PS output, to give one a fuller picture ... 🙂.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

PS noise is not an issue, IME

Well, your experience in this case appears to be much less than most active DIY people who actually construct electronic projects from scratch or kits.

How many amplifiers , Preamps, DACs, Power Supplies (including very low noise types)  etc. have you actually CONSTRUCTED, not just modified/tweaked/simulated in Spice , then used Test Equipment to further improve them ? :P

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

13 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Duplicate post

7 hours ago, sandyk said:

Well, your experience in this case appears to be much less than most active DIY people who actually construct electronic projects from scratch or kits.

How many amplifiers , Preamps, DACs, Power Supplies (including very low noise types)  etc. have you actually CONSTRUCTED, not just modified/tweaked/simulated in Spice , then used Test Equipment to further improve them ? :P

Alex, my approach is to listen to gear, and if I hear problems, and they appear to be PS related - then I work on that area. Just constructing, without deeper understanding, I don't find worthwhile - what each project needs, is where the effort goes.

Until recently, most power amplifiers had substandard PS engineering - easy to hear the SQ collapsing as too great a demand was put on the unit; using Spice tools allows one to understand what's going on - and engineer a better solution.

1 hour ago, fas42 said:

Alex, my approach is to listen to gear, and if I hear problems, and

@fas42 this thread is meant to be about established audio designers whose designs are manufactured and sold in the audiophile marketplace.  If you are not one of those designers, please refrain from posting about your approach in this thread.  Thank you.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 5/31/2020 at 5:18 PM, Superdad said:

But I warn you, you might be shocked at how bad one speaker by itself can sound. Takes a bit of getting used to. :D

Not if you are playing a mono recording. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Neither.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 6/1/2020 at 10:38 PM, PYP said:

If you can’t actually nail a rational, causal explanation for what is going on, it makes progress very difficult. So I tend to stay away from that. I like to know why I’m doing something. I can give you a reason for every aspect of what goes on in a Vivid Audio loudspeaker.

Exactly!  The interesting thing is, if one actually listens to Vivid Audio loudspeakers in a decent set up, one finds that they sound fantastic-this happened to me long before I never knew anything about what Laurence Dickie's design process was (for all I knew he could have designed them by ear alone...), but right away I knew I was hearing something special.

Wow, and I did not even have to be blinded to be able to discern these speakers outstanding performance.

I had the same experience the first time I listened to the Mola Mola DAC circuit (in the Makua preamp).

What do you know, subjective experience of listening, not blinded in any way, picking up exceptionally well engineered products...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, barrows said:

Exactly!  The interesting thing is, if one actually listens to Vivid Audio loudspeakers in a decent set up, one finds that they sound fantastic-this happened to me long before I never knew anything about what Laurence Dickie's design process was (for all I knew he could have designed them by ear alone...), but right away I knew I was hearing something special.

Wow, and I did not even have to be blinded to be able to discern these speakers outstanding performance.

I had the same experience the first time I listened to the Mola Mola DAC circuit (in the Makua preamp).

What do you know, subjective experience of listening, not blinded in any way, picking up exceptionally well engineered products...

Completely agree that one can find low distortion components by listening.  One hears music -- flowing, unforced, natural, organic, exciting...  That said, one can just as easily discern live music from afar (before you can see the performers).  Perhaps these skills were developed by sapiens when we were hunter gatherers, when our senses were very tuned to our environment.  But that topic is for the great philosophers of our time (some of whom will hopefully comment in this thread). :)   

From that same interview with Dickie:  "...when the Giya G2 was measured in the anechoic chamber at Canada’s National Research Council, it set new benchmarks in several categories." (mentioned by the interviewer)  

Floyd Toole (mentioned above) was the senior research officer at the NRC for nearly 27 years. (says google) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, audiobomber said:

"A competitively priced DAC that has great THD+N numbers ( jitter etc) and also sounds great….it's not the same thing."

"No matter how many filters we have (or LDOs) it seems to me that once noise reaches the PCB , it somehow changes the output. The funny thing is that I am unable to see it on THD+N numbers."

IOAN B. from Allo

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/reviews/review-allo-revolution-dac-part-1-r935/

And:  "Once you reach a certain level of THD+N (and I would argue for -110) no further SQ improvements can be had using THD as a guide. Further SQ improvement can be reached by tweaking the analog stage, ... clocks and more."

• 2 weeks later...

I think most designers are both. They have to be. Selling equipment is subjective and saying yours is the best is also.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

19 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I think most designers are both. They have to be. Selling equipment is subjective and saying yours is the best is also.

It does seem, however, that many designers leave the marketing/pricing/branding/external design to others.   It was interesting to me that for my own gear, the designer drove the industrial design and the name for the products.  In doing that, he was shaping the branding.  He did all this as a contractor, not as an employee.  Also interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...

I can't think of a single "objective" designer among the crowd most audiophiles would consider high-end. Many start from a objective standpoint, making sure their equipment measures well, but then work subjectively from there. All high end engineers that I've read about design by ear.