IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

On 1/14/2021 at 3:19 AM, AfterDark. said:

For 10M clock, we agreed with Alex that, the good OCXO Clock should be at least above -130dBc at 10Hz & -107dBc at 1Hz

The reference point is on -125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's. 

The OCXO performance can further tested by phase noise @ 1Hz and Allan Derivation which indicate short-term stability with respect to time (1s) 

1232030369_PhaseNoise-113.thumb.png.f7fb33731dd93add3845554ee24e29c0.png

For example, the above Phase Noise graph is measured by Symmetricom 5125A is showing phase noise of the OCXO clock is -140dBc@10Hz / -113dBC@1Hz. 

I understand this is the Crown model. Is the measurement done with or without your external LPS ?

How will the measurement change if an LPS 1.2 change the result ?

Looking at a double Crown, I noticed the phase noise at 1Hz change most. 
How important is this number ?

To move from 140 at 10Hz to 145 at top model seems quite expensive. But moving from 113 to 117 in double crown at 1Hz doesn’t drive the price to much, so this is why I’m interested in understanding the importance of these numbers. Top model maxes out at 121. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@MartinT use of tungsten and isolations is to me a prove that vibration can be an issue even without a transformer inside the clock. 

Agreed, all of my work in this direction (Black Ravioli footers, tungsten cube, DoDo Mat sound deadening, Schramm door stop on top) have helped with reducing vibrations to the sensitive clock.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

On 1/11/2021 at 12:38 PM, ambre said:

Found also this Masterclock from well known company Paul Pang.

Does somebody tried this in combination with EtherRegen?

C60B767D-7734-4DDF-AB18-E62E8058515F.png

https://audiopc.shop/en/winkel/accessories/paul-pang-ocxo-10mhz-external-master-clock/

Did you contact him to get numbers for measurement and verification of galvanic isolation of outputs ?

(There is a used one for sale in Germany). 

On 1/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, AfterDark. said:

Yes, there is a transformer type 10M distributor adaptor made by Cybershaft. This adaptor can make make 2 outputs of 10M signal. So that you can use them on EtherREGEN and Mutec MC3-USB with the same 10M Clock. 

2ds01_2048x.jpg.bf085c6d7456d0b769fd5d5cc5a3fc14.jpg

Does this provide fully isolated outputs?  I am curious if it could be used with a Cybershaft and two eRs without defeating the moat.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

https://audiopc.shop/en/winkel/accessories/paul-pang-ocxo-10mhz-external-master-clock/

Did you contact him to get numbers for measurement and verification of galvanic isolation of outputs ?

(There is a used one for sale in Germany). 

See earlier post and reply Superbad on specs PP - clock 

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

42 minutes ago, ambre said:

See earlier post and reply Superbad on specs PP - clock 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/59419-master-clock-for-your-etherregen/?do=findComment&comment=1102343

OK, then that clock isn’t as good as the $92 AliExpress option. 
So no reason to continue finding other clocks to evaluate. Within price range well below HK$ 8000, I think AfterDark is the only option. 

Rember it’s only phase noise figures that counts in order to find the best clock. 

We still don’t know which version John has for evaluation. Even John doesn’t know.

@AfterDark. Can you tell us ?

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

Do we know that for sure?

I guess you did click on the link 😀

I find your other question valid, but let’s just be patient and wait for John. 
AfterDark is not designing these PCB on clocks himself. He has help.

In an earlier post I even suggested if he could find a way to use John’s expertise. 
Waiting for a product and also knowing I will pay (included in sale price) royalties to John is what I prefer if possible. I like to know what products is arriving during 2021 before deciding on a clock. 

4 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I guess you did click on the link 😀

I find your other question valid, but let’s just be patient and wait for John. 
AfterDark is not designing these PCB on clocks himself. He has help.

In an earlier post I even suggested if he could find a way to use John’s expertise. 
Waiting for a product and also knowing I will pay (included in sale price) royalties to John is what I prefer if possible. I like to know what products is arriving during 2021 before deciding on a clock. 

Don’t really want to comment on this, but I am really curious. I asked perhaps one year ago if a clock was being considered and John explained the multiple challenges around it. While back at that time I stayed convinced the odds were against it, I think that the conditions might be there for another successful product: on one hand the extraordinary benefits that come from the eR are more than demonstrated; on a second hand there is also a growing awareness that the eR can still be improved by adding an external clock. Time will tell... 🤗

Jensen VRD-iFF>Router>Rj45>opticalModule>
SFP>Buffalo2016>SFP>opticalModule >Rj45>

IZen Mk3>Rj45> Delock62619>Rj45>
etherRegen (Master Clock+ Mini-Circuits BLP)>SFP>opticalRendu>USB>IsoRegen>

USB>Phoenix>USB>OPPO 205 (Modded)>HMS “the Perfect Match”>Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signature.

14 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I understand this is the Crown model. Is the measurement done with or without your external LPS ?

How will the measurement change if an LPS 1.2 change the result ?

Looking at a double Crown, I noticed the phase noise at 1Hz change most. 
How important is this number ?

To move from 140 at 10Hz to 145 at top model seems quite expensive. But moving from 113 to 117 in double crown at 1Hz doesn’t drive the price to much, so this is why I’m interested in understanding the importance of these numbers. Top model maxes out at 121. 

Hello! R1200CL,

The measurement is made without the external LPS. It was done with Symmetricom 5125A for plotting on Phase Noise and Allan Derivation. So, powered with UpTone LPS1.2 or JS-2, it will perform even better. 

The phase noise at 1Hz and 10Hz is reference point to show the trend or slope of the plot. This two number can distinguish how goods is the OCXO can perform on Audio. The trend of plot between 1Hz and 10Hz is also important to distinguish the quality of the OCXO too. 

The top quality OCXO for example, will have very low value of -121dBC@1Hz and -142dBC@10Hz.  

We found that at 1Hz, to achieve phase noise -121dBC,  is much harder to achieve. So, this is one of the most important point. 

Another measurement for excellent OCXO is the value of Allan Derivation. 

The Allan Derivation is intended to estimate short term stability due to noise processes and not that of systematic errors or imperfections such as frequency drift or temperature effects.

The Allan Deviation describe frequency stability. It takes measurement of 1s as reference point as below:  

1336687126_AllanDeviation2.38E13.thumb.jpg.a2cfb2410f7e87d18eb6fade243d8f27.jpg

For example, the lower the Allan Deviation at 1s =2.38xE-13, the better the OCXO can perform for Audio application. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

On 1/21/2021 at 9:16 PM, sky176 said:

DUPA is used up. They provide me with Symmetricom 159-00057-000. The seller told me that he could change it from sine wave to square wave. Anyone brother know about it? 

IMG_20210122_101532.jpg

I'm unable to locate specs for this device. Interesting how the clocks keep switching :)

Thank you, John.

I was just listing all the things I could think of that bore consideration, apart from phase noise. I understand that drift is not of any importance to audio applications (although it might matter to a ham radio operator).

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

3 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

So, powered with UpTone LPS1.2 or JS-2, it will perform even better. 

Can I hope for a phase noise measurement with LPS 1.2 and your own PS on this new Crown or double Drown version later ? (No need for Allan Deviation). 

Since the new clock is square wave, how do you access the sine wave, and at the same time have the clock operating as it will under normal conditions ? 

(I assuming just measure clock without the chassis and various isolation will make the clock not perform optimal).

Is the double Crown an option for the new clock, or is those 4 extra dBc at 1Hz not worth the cost and effort ?

https://blog.bliley.com/the-double-oven-controlled-crystal-oscillator-when-to-use-it

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_variance

8 hours ago, AfterDark. said:

I think to remember I read something in this topic before. That the js-2 shares a ground rail on both DC outputs, which will end up using it with both ER and the clock in bypassing the moat of the ER since the clock domain is on the b-side, and the a-side will be connected to  eachother in the js-2?

2 hours ago, PYP said:

I hesitate to respond since Alex has asked to keep this about the benefits of clocks in general vs. a particular clock,

When looking at the numbers, there’s isn’t any clock coming close the numbers (obtained phase noise vs price) compared to what AfterDark is producing. 

That’s a fact !!!

The AliExpress one is a good option, since the price is only $90.

Maybe it’s good enough. Maybe there is a upper limit of phase noise number required to keep most of us happy. (Like the sample rate discussion). 

@Avalfa

I also remember something similar as you. I don’t own a JS-2, but several LPS 1 and LPS 1.2.

The advanced search function should help you finding several posts about this.

I expect several new products will have the option of an external clock input. I also need to plan correctly for further upgrades. Things can start to be complex. A good clock may be the best way to upgrade your digital chain in the future. 

When thinking about all efforts John and Alex has done in order to create moat and isolation, I also would like to have some sort of confirmation that a three output square wave clock actually is a totally isolated device. 

Also seeing how reluctant AfterDark is to discuss technical details like how to measure the sine wave from a square wave clock, doesn’t make me comfortable. (I write this in a hope he can communicate more openly. He has a good product. So no need to keep potential customers in the dark). 

Why should a clock isolation be simpler to make, compared to technology used in the EtherRegen. 
How can it be measured and trusted. 

Maybe it’s safer to use several clocks with a good PS ?

I hope not, it’s getting to expensive.

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

@AfterDark.

Do you like us to create a new tread discussing your clocks ?

Especially the new version developed and a possible group buy. 

That is good idea. I am willing to paid for the subscription fees for audiophilestyle.com

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA