IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

4 hours ago, Roasty said:

I just received the 75ohm square wave clock from aliexpress.

Powered off the ER. Hooked it up. Turned clock on. Turned ER on. Light is green on the clock and music is playing. 

Is that all there is to it? 

Did you flip the switch?

Say NO to ROON

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

From afterdark 2 types / brands. The Giesemann emperor (up)  and Cybershaft 14 up. See pics below. 

GROOPS BUY: Yes.. as soon John Swenson tells us which of the 3 types are appropriate resp. good enough for the EtherRegen. Resp a good bang for the buck.😉

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-11 om 17.51.22.png

Schermafbeelding 2021-01-11 om 17.51.55.png

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Audio: Auralic Vega G2.1, Cambridge Edge W, Kef Reference 3 speakers.  
Power: Farad super 3 (2x) , Keces P8 ( 2 Uptone LPS1.2 ) Afterdark 5V: 

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

10 hours ago, sbilotta said:

So how do you attach the Tungsten cube to the clock?

Just thermal paste or also a glue/adhesive of some sort to lock it to the clock, so that there's no risk of it moving? 

I used two-part epoxy. It's not moving anywhere.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

22 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I will post pictures when I return from out of town. Between the tungsten and the Be Quiet they really transformed the unit. It really sounds like a much more expensive unit. 

One really didn’t notice the short comings of the stock clock but once you e implemented these two tweaks it’s even more awesome. 

I forgot to mention I also have been using 4 large Baby Booties on the bottom and for footers and two Supersonic Stabilizers from Herbie’s Audio Lab as well. But I had implemented these when I first purchased the clock. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

13 hours ago, ambre said:

Found also this Masterclock from well known company Paul Pang.

Does somebody tried this in combination with EtherRegen?

C60B767D-7734-4DDF-AB18-E62E8058515F.png

I would be quite hesitant with these. PM me if you want more info. 

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel

I bought Mutec Ref 10 before I purchased ER, with or without Ref 10 does a major impact in my system.

Have been listening for few months and ordered a Mutec Ref 10 SE120 for my listening room, it arrived this morning and have a listen for few hours so far, the improvement over Ref 10 is quite significant (subjectively 20-25% better)

My setup - Mac Pro > Cisco 2960 > SPF > ER (with SE 120) > UltraRendu > Esoteric K05x (with SE 120)

B&W 800 Diamond D2, Goldmund Eidos Reference CD, Goldmund Telos 600, Goldmund Mimesis 32, Cello Audio Palette MIV.[br]MacBook Pro, LIO, Mytek 192, HD800, Luxman SQ-38U, Luxman MQ-88u

13 hours ago, ambre said:

From afterdark 2 types / brands. The Giesemann emperor (up)  and Cybershaft 14 up. See pics below. 

I personally struggle with spending to much or more than the price of the EtherRegen on a clock. 
So what is the difference from Prince and up to your start point ?

Will a version with only DC input save a lot ?

Would be interesting to have a picture of those AfterDark clocks inside. 
It’s the same clock being used in all versions?

EEF4AFA9-132A-4682-807F-94E0A3817A82.jpeg

5 hours ago, mitch751 said:

I bought Mutec Ref 10 before I purchased ER, with or without Ref 10 does a major impact in my system.

Have been listening for few months and ordered a Mutec Ref 10 SE120 for my listening room, it arrived this morning and have a listen for few hours so far, the improvement over Ref 10 is quite significant (subjectively 20-25% better)

My setup - Mac Pro > Cisco 2960 > SPF > ER (with SE 120) > UltraRendu > Esoteric K05x (with SE 120)

That’s very interesting, thanks.

Have you evaluated the impact of the two Ref-10s on the EtherRegen only? If so what were your impressions?

18 hours ago, sgr said:

I will post pictures when I return from out of town. Between the tungsten and the Be Quiet they really transformed the unit. It really sounds like a much more expensive unit. 

One really didn’t notice the short comings of the stock clock but once you e implemented these two tweaks it’s even more awesome. 

I forgot to mention I also have been using 4 large Baby Booties on the bottom and for footers and two Supersonic Stabilizers from Herbie’s Audio Lab as well. But I had implemented these when I first purchased the clock. 

Same here, re the Herbies.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 1/11/2021 at 12:53 PM, Ponkbutler said:

It's a pity PPA don't provide any phase noise measurements

Hi Ponkbutler and John S.

See below the measurements concerning Paul Pang master clock provided by the dealer in Belgium. 
How this compares to the Afterdark, Cybersaft etc I don’t know. There are several users in France, Belgium that use this Masterclock with the EtherRegen with much success.

Ps. The price is €999,00 without a decent supply. Sounds interesting 🧐 

Ps2. See link of the dealer is picture below.

Found also this Masterclock from well known company Paul Pang.

Does somebody tried this in combination with EtherRegen?

C60B767D-7734-4DDF-AB18-E62E8058515F.png

2C705696-0FD0-48AB-9C9B-3DF893E22189.jpeg

Ethernet::4x Bonn Silent Angel 8P, Afterdark Emperor Doublr  Crown Masterclock and Cybershaft 75 Ohm,Mini Circuits convertor,Uptone EtherRegen with 75Ohm. SOTM Cat CAT 7.

Cables:Meicord Opal, SOTM Cat7 with filtering, Ghent Audio DC , Farad Level 2, Sharkwire speaker cable

15 minutes ago, ambre said:

See below the measurements concerning Paul Pang master clock provided by the dealer in Belgium. 
How this compares to the Afterdark, Cybersaft etc I don’t know.

2C705696-0FD0-48AB-9C9B-3DF893E22189.jpeg

For a 10MHz clock, -120dBc/Hz at 10Hz offset is not very impressive--especially since that is likely the specified performance of the OCXO clock itself and not what will be seen either at the BNC (internal cabling in these clocks is usually poor) or at the end of a clock cable.

For comparison, I'll quote myself from a couple of posts very early in this thread:

"The Crystal CCHD-575 [used in the EtherREGEN] is one of the lowest phase-noise production XO available (about $10 each at 500 piece qty,), and our 3 original 25MHz (random production) samples came with plots showing 10Hz-offset phase-noise of -108, -110, and -112 dBc/Hz.  (Crystek is very conservative and the graphs they post do not reflect these actual terrific production performance marks.) And remember, it is far easier to get better numbers from a 10MHz clock than a 25MHz clock, though they can be equivalent in terms of jitter/phase-noise.

-125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's 25.0MHz Crystek CCHD-575.  25.0MHz is 1.5 octaves above 10.0MHz, so its typical -110dBc/Hz (@ 10Hz offset) can be considered equivalent to -119dBc/Hz if it was a 10MHz clock (about 6dB/octave is safe to draw comparisons between frequencies). And it seems plausible that the adjusted-for-frequency difference of 6dB--between -119 and -125--would be about the threshold for what could be audible with our switch.

This assumes use of a good short clock cable, matched impedances, and use of square wave..."

One would seriously doubt the Chinese clock would even be close to these numbers and then the other would doubt that the numbers matter...

The Cybershaft platinum is -125db/Hz at 10Hz but it is a sine wave output. 
The after dark is also sine wave and the phase noise is not clear for an equivalent model. 

so is sine wave ok for ER? 
what is the compromise vs square?

For 10M clock, we agreed with Alex that, the good OCXO Clock should be at least above -130dBc at 10Hz & -107dBc at 1Hz

The reference point is on -125dBc/Hz @10Hz is about what it takes for a 10Mhz clock to audibly surpass the EtherREGEN's. 

The OCXO performance can further tested by phase noise @ 1Hz and Allan Derivation which indicate short-term stability with respect to time (1s) 

1232030369_PhaseNoise-113.thumb.png.f7fb33731dd93add3845554ee24e29c0.png

For example, the above Phase Noise graph is measured by Symmetricom 5125A is showing phase noise of the OCXO clock is -140dBc@10Hz / -113dBC@1Hz. 

Amp: Goldmund 27+ EVO Preamp, Goldmund 29M Power Amp, Goldmund AC-Curator

DAC: CH Precision C1.1 Digital Convertor,  Studer D19 DAC, Wadia 2000 DAC

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Playback: Goldmund PH3 Phono Amp, Linn LP12, Studer A807 VU MKII Open Reel

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

Dealer: UpTone Audio, Gustard, Farad Power Supply, Cybershaft, Thixar, DELA

Yes, square wave version can be made too. The above example is mid-range model. 

The quality of OCXO clock is always on the sine wave - original version, it is because the square wave version is re-generated by sine wave with some jitter on re-generation, so in general the very good quality OCXO can only be found on the original form as sine wave version. 

When measured the phase noise with Symmetricom 5125A on sine wave OCXO, it can measure directly on the output BNC.

However, the phase noise cannot be direct measured by Symmetricom 5125A on square wave version, as it was re-generated by sine wave, it adds up fews unknown factors, so the phase noise measure cannot be performed directly on the output BNC.  

Therefore, some Audiophiles may prefers sine wave to square wave, as it can gives out more natural and laid back sounding, due to reduce Phase Noise and Allan Derivation which may caused by the conversion process from sine to square wave.

The square wave is better choice when the cable exceeding 3 meters, as the power / loading on square wave is higher compare to OCXO with sine wave. 

In addition, using the better quality BNC clock cable will improve the sounding on most system, as the better the cable, the less reflection inside.  

Digital: Mutec MC3-USB,  AfterDark. Giesemann OCXO 10M Master Clock Giesemann EVA 

Network Switch:  AFTERDARK. PROJECT CLAYX BUFFALO BS-GS2016 CASCADE X GIESEMANN OCXO BLACK MODERNIZE EDITION x Farad Super3 LPS

11 minutes ago, AfterDark. said:

Yes, square wave version can be made too. The above example is mid-range model. 

Hi Adrian,

which brand do you mean Giesemann and/or Cybershaft?

Please give more details which model / type  name is used to produce abovementioned graph?  

Is square - wave now pre-requisite in combination with the well specifiate EtherRegen?

Ps. Several people reported reported benefits also using sin-wave clocks ?!? How can?

Last statement for now if we need to use high end devices from Mutec or brands like Top model Cybershaft that cost between €3000<=> 5000,00 to grant a real uplift of the Uptone device of approx. € 650,00 than everbody has decide which route he prefers.

Recently I have upgraded my Auralic Vega G to G2.1 costing also  additionaly €3K but is very attractive in my subjective opinion / judgement. Plus additional features 😍 too.

What is “common ”  sense at all? 

Hi Ambre,

The square wave version can be made for Giesemann.

The above graph is from the mid-range is Emperor CROWN.

Square & Wave is working well with EtherREGEN, but they are different sounding

We suggest to use quality OCXO which around the price range vs EtherREGEN. 

Dear GMG,

1. All model is 50ohm, adaptor to 75ohm can be bundle for members.

2. This one is the linear power supply to power up the Giesemann.

3. Dual 12V DC outputs. 

The lower the phase noise (more negative), the better the OCXO Clock can performed.