IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

2 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I will get the FE180 clock. Not the DAPO. Hope is as good as DAPO. 

I do think per data sheet as confirmed by @Superdad, the FE-180 had the same phase noise spec as the DAPU. As far as other worthwhile specs go, I do not know where the two stand in comparison to eachother.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

The Belden 1694A is not that good as an S/PDIF cable so I wouldn't think it the best for clock use

I wish I saw this comment before going that route. Will be replacing it soon with the Geisnote cable so it'll be interesting to compare.

For those that are US based, here is a cable to try: 1 Foot - 12G Rated RG6 Belden 4694R 18AWG 4K UHD SDI BNC Cable by Custom Cable Connection #113649-1C

Cheers

On 8/28/2020 at 9:31 AM, MartinT said:

Now they do look worth a try.

Belden 4694R with silvered solid copper core and foil/braid shield.

Would be interesting to compare with the Canare 77S.

Ghent says he can supply it at $60 with JSSG360. 
Which may be a bit pricey, since it can be bought without extra shielding at £17 plus freight.

He won’t list it unless it’s a demand, so people will have to email him.

I’m not sure how much extra shielding will do on a coax, but it can’t do any harm. 

Looking forward to your findings with that cable @Exocer

9 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

Ghent says he can supply it at $60 with JSSG360. 
Which may be a bit pricey, since it can be bought without extra shielding at £17 plus freight.

He won’t list it unless it’s a demand, so people will have to email him.

I’m not sure how much extra shielding will do on a coax, but it can’t do any harm. 

Looking forward to your findings with that cable @Exocer

The Geistnote takes the sound in a positive direction. It is more of a "feeling" than a describable trait at this point. Expect some more detailed impressions in several days! At this point I will say that both the Ghent and Geistnote sound good, with the Geistnote sounding a bit more refined. 

The markings on these units are various. Mine says 2019-12-09 on the outside, 2018-07-26 on the inside and 2020-03-13 on the board itself. The LT1963A regulator on the top gives out 12v so unless you input closer to 12.5v dc it does nothing (except add noise probably). 

I also doubt they actually impedance match the traces, parts etc to 75 ohm, they only change the connector (or don’t as it seems). 

But the clock has a positive impact, no doubt. 

Say NO to ROON

47 minutes ago, FIndingit said:

The LT1963A regulator on the top gives out 12v so unless you input closer to 12.5v dc it does nothing (except add noise probably).

That's interesting. Seeing as I'm giving it a well regulated 12V already it may pay to take out the regulator and link across, or else set my PSU to 13V.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

I have always wondered whether bypassing regulation with lower input dc than the regulator needs (for dropout) is beneficial or not, but nobody actually knows. We should experiment. If it’s beneficial, I could find lots of use for “undervoltaging”. 

Say NO to ROON

2 hours ago, MartinT said:

Actually, looking at the spec sheet, dropout voltage of 340mV means that 12.5V input would suffice to keep it operating.

Interesting -

So I'm actually not doing anything at all if I'm feeding the clock 12V. Was this all placebo? 😀 Interested in the results of your experiment. I do not have a PSU with more voltage to feed it so...I will await the results of your test 

Interesting that the input voltage is labeled down to 11.7v and the included wallwart is delivering 12v at .5a.

Edit: I mis-read the original comment by @FIndingit. It is the regulator that may not be doing anything but adding noise when being fed 12v. The clock itself is still adequately powered to function. So I am no longer questioning whether this is placebo. The benefits are real..My only option would be to bypass the regulator.

No, of course you're still hearing the benefits of the OCXO.

If the regulator is not getting sufficient to cover its dropout voltage, it will simply pass current through without further regulation.

I've now trimmed my LPSU to exactly 12.5V. I'm listening and it doesn't sound any worse! I'll let you know long term if I hear any differences.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

4 hours ago, MartinT said:

I've now trimmed my LPSU to exactly 12.5V. I'm listening and it doesn't sound any worse! I'll let you know long term if I hear any differences.

Yes, I think it does sound better after several hours of listening. Sibilance is less (as in Paul Simon's voice, which is often mic'd too close) and naturally delivered detail up.

1 hour ago, Exocer said:

Well my wife helped me do a blind test switching cables.

So I will try this test again in several weeks with more songs after breaking in the Geistnote some more.

Just a fun experiment for a Sunday.

If my experience is typical, settling in requires two weeks or so.  Am curious if your wife would characterize it as a "fun experiment for a Sunday," but won't ask.  :)   

For Emerson, Lake & Palmer fans, I was going to say:  Oh, what a lucky man...

but looked up the first verse:

[Verse 1]
He had white horses
And ladies by the score
All dressed in satin
And waiting by the door

[Hook]
Oooh, what a lucky man he was
Oooh, what a lucky man he was

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

That does make sense, hearing how much better my 75 ohm version is over my original 50 ohm version. The lightning fast timing and punch are significantly enhanced.

• 2 weeks later...