IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

At this point, knowing what we know, if budget were not too much of a concern, would there be any reason not to select the Cybershaft OP21A as external clock for the EtherREGEN?

- it has the lowest reported noise of any clock

- it has multiple outputs with selectable impedance

- it has a dedicated external linear power supply

- the company has a great reputation

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

43 minutes ago, bernardl said:

At this point, knowing what we know, if budget were not too much of a concern, would there be any reason not to select the Cybershaft OP21A as external clock for the EtherREGEN?

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bernard

What is the price? 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

10 minutes ago, RickyV said:

What is the price? 

Around 7,000 US$.

http://www.cybershaft.jp/a-products/op20a.html

Cheers,

Bernard

Room: Gik Acoustics room conditioning | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Shunyata Everest + Shunyata Sigma NR v2 power cables | Source: Mac mini with LPS running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore OpticalModule + Melco S10 + Shunyata Omega Ethernet | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro Core Infinity | Speakers: Chord Company Sarum T speaker cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1

1 hour ago, bernardl said:

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bernard

Bernard,

You'd better do a more thorough research:

- Selectable impedance doesn't yield the correct impedance either way. It's a faulty solution, hands-down.

- It generates a sinuous wave while audio equipment expects a square wave.

Perhaps the Cybershaft has the lowest phase noise, but when connected to your equipment, it will suffer from the aforementioned deficiencies. Also bear in mind that both Cybershaft and Mutec swore by -116db is the lower limit for sound improvements to could be perceived. Then marketing took over, and both companies introduced a -120/121db to up the ante. In essence, I suspect, we're in the flat region of the phase noise/SQ curve.

I suggest you take a deep breath and study the various offerings again. In my opinion, Mutec Ref10 is the best option, and the SE is the one if you have the have the "Best" 

Good luck!

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

2 hours ago, bernardl said:

Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Bernard

At least for me, as someone who has never used an external reference clock, this thread is all about offering an accessible, low cost option to experiment/tweak,  and see if I could discern any benefit of such a set up.

Different goals I think. Maybe a gateway drug to Mutec and Cybershaft at some point, we will see!

1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

Bernard,

You'd better do a more thorough research:

- Selectable impedance doesn't yield the correct impedance either way. It's a faulty solution, hands-down.

- It generates a sinuous wave while audio equipment expects a square wave.

Perhaps the Cybershaft has the lowest phase noise, but when connected to your equipment, it will suffer from the aforementioned deficiencies. Also bear in mind that both Cybershaft and Mutec swore by -116db is the lower limit for sound improvements to could be perceived. Then marketing took over, and both companies introduced a -120/121db to up the ante. In essence, I suspect, we're in the flat region of the phase noise/SQ curve.

I suggest you take a deep breath and study the various offerings again. In my opinion, Mutec Ref10 is the best option, and the SE is the one if you have the have the "Best" 

Thanks.

Would you have a reference to a document showing that the Cybershaft clocks emit sinusoidal signals and not square waves? I wasn't able to find such information on their site.

Cheers,

Bernard

15 minutes ago, bernardl said:

Thanks.

Would you have a reference to a document showing that the Cybershaft clocks emit sinusoidal signals and not square waves? I wasn't able to find such information on their site.

Cheers,

Bernard

I think it is implied by the spec of the  OCXO 10MHz clock 4 divider/ distributer... actually it is in the specification section of the  clock as well 

33 minutes ago, bernardl said:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bernard

It used to be on their website, and Kinji wrote to me as much.

When I first embarked on my ref clock journey, I gave his products a close look. Going by his own words, the products didn’t cater to the audio market specifically, but to any application that required a high precision clock in an affordable price. He emphasized that point when I inquired about a return policy: “Can't guarantee audio relate performance, so no returns.” As you can deduct from the impedance selectors and impedance convertors, delivering the purest signal isn’t a top priority for him. Furthermore, to my chagrin, he conflicted himself in our exchange too many times to build trust. 

Anecdotally, later on, when he realized demand in the audiophile market was building up, he started gearing his clocks accordingly: More outputs, better encasement, and initiating a war-of-tug with Mutec vis-à-vis phase noise. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

30 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

It used to be on their website, and Kinji wrote to me as much.

When I first embarked on my ref clock journey, I gave his products a close look. Going by his own words, the products didn’t cater to the audio market specifically, but to any application that required a high precision clock in an affordable price. He emphasized that point when I inquired about a return policy: “Can't guarantee audio relate performance, so no returns.” As you can deduct from the impedance selectors and impedance convertors, delivering the purest signal isn’t a top priority for him. Furthermore, to my chagrin, he conflicted himself in our exchange too many times to build trust. 

Anecdotally, later on, when he realized demand in the audiophile market was building up, he started gearing his clocks accordingly: More outputs, better encasement, and initiating a war-of-tug with Mutec vis-à-vis phase noise. 

Thanks.

Have you ever tried one of his recent high-end clocks vs Mutec?

I read recently a comparison performed in HK where the conclusion was clearly in favor of the Cybershaft vs the Mutec Ref10 (or perhaps Ref10 SE120 not sure).

Cheers,

Bernard

3 hours ago, bernardl said:

Thanks.

Cheers,

Bernard

Again, I just want to point out the business practices of Cybershaft, which omits such basic information from their literature. 

Stereo

Surround

2 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

.........especially since the upgameship of the East has profoundly affected people's outlook nowadays.

@LowMidHigh  That statement....care to expand your views?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

29 minutes ago, zerung said:

@LowMidHigh  That statement....care to expand your views?

This is solely my observation and opinion and reflects no prejudice whatsoever.

I reside in Thailand and I run into many people from Chinese, Hong Kong and Taiwan. I also read English issued Chinese publications. There’s a palpable sprit of competition on their behalf, with the aim of superseding anything that is western. Think China 2025. It’s a fascinating and foreboding process that stokes chauvinism and involves politics, big industry, commerce, education and culture perceptions, all which are beyond the scope of our discussion. What’s germane is that oriental consumers—in our case a Hong Kong based forum—are likely to show preference to the Japanese Cybershaft over the German Mutec. 

Stereo

Surround

10 minutes ago, LowMidHigh said:

This is solely my observation and opinion and reflects no prejudice whatsoever.

I reside in Thailand and I run into many people from Chinese, Hong Kong and Taiwan. I also read English issued Chinese publications. There’s a palpable sprit of competition on their behalf, with the aim of superseding anything that is western. Think China 2025. It’s a fascinating and foreboding process that stokes chauvinism and involves politics, big industry, commerce, education and culture perceptions, all which are beyond the scope of our discussion. What’s germane is that oriental consumers—in our case a Hong Kong based forum—are likely to show preference to the Japanese Cybershaft over the German Mutec. 

@LowMidHigh Sorry I dont buy this.

You need to be careful with your views.

I live in HK and if anything, there is a strong bias towards European things....(which is definitely changing), if anything else. Which to me is based on an individual preference, driven by analytical analysis of sound (Using the instruments on the sides of ones head) and not necessary objective inference based on a  test data's....

To push the whole of Asia off the map with a swathe of your 'Non Prejudicial' statement is alarming.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

11 minutes ago, zerung said:

I live in HK and if anything, there is a strong bias towards European things....(which is definitely changing), if anything else. Which to me is based on an individual preference, driven by analytical analysis of sound (Using the instruments on the sides of ones head) and not necessary objective inference based on a  test data's....

To push the whole of Asia off the map with a swathe of your 'Non Prejudicial' statement is alarming.

Neither do I, from the UK. Many techies worldwide are into the bigger and better whether or not it has an impact on sound quality or quality of life. It has nothing to do with location, politics or race. It's just sadly human....

24 minutes ago, zerung said:

No one has pushed the whole of Asia off the map, and I don't have to be careful with my views, unless promoting violence or hate. 

The only interesting tidbit in your rebuttal is this:

"...is a strong bias towards European things....(which is definitely changing),"

The words in bold are actually in agreement with the process I've been witnessing.  Thank you.

Stereo

Surround

6 hours ago, bernardl said:

I read recently a comparison performed in HK where the conclusion was clearly in favor of the Cybershaft vs the Mutec Ref10 (or perhaps Ref10 SE120 not sure).

It would be interesting to know where the diminishing returns are in Cybershaft's lineup.  Of course, if you want the best, the OP21A makes sense.  I opted for the low end - the OP13 - and should have it today.  My only need is feeding the eR, so no need for more than one connection.  The cost is about $1,400 (fluctuates with currency exchange, of course).  Only had a few, brief exchanges with Kenji Hasegawa, but it seems clear to me he is serious about providing a good product.  

My gear comes from the U.S., Britain and the Netherlands, and they all get along just fine. I expect the Japanese gear will too.  :) 

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Thanks a lot for the feedbacks.

I gather from this that Mutec has a great track record in terms of providing studio equipment tuned for audiophile needs and is a safe bet.

Cybershaft is a recognized clock expert but is a more recent entrant in the audio high end sector and may need to improve the way they communicate in terms of how the specs of their equipment addresses the perceived needs of high end audio reclocking.

Both product lines have fervent fans in terms of real world performance. The only comparison btwn the respective top of the line offers I know of leans in favor of Cybershaft but there are theoretical reasons to believe that the Mutec should be even better.

what made me aware of Cybershaft in the first place is a comment from the CEO of Shunyata Research a few weeks ago where he commented that he considers their clocks the best and only use them for all their design and testing activities. I happen to value his opinion.

Being based in Japan for more than 20 years and speaking fluent Japanese it’s also a convenient solution but Mutec is imported here also and I could go that way also (although the SE120 isn’t listed yet).

cheers,

bernard

2 minutes ago, Chrome said:

The Bartok has a master clock output that is 44.1 kHz. Can I use this output with the eR?

Hi:

Sorry, but the EtherREGEN accepts only a 10.00MHz clock as an external reference. Will not sync to audio sample-rate related clock frequencies.  So no, you will not be able to utilize the word-clock output of your Bartok with your EtherREGEN.

Best,

--Alex C.

13 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

Sorry, but the EtherREGEN accepts only a 10.00MHz clock as an external reference. Will not sync to audio sample-rate related clock frequencies.  So no, you will not be able to utilize the word-clock output of your Bartok with your EtherREGEN.

Best,

--Alex C.

Thanks!

My Canare LV-77S clock cables finally arrived. They are pretty substantial and come with very nice Canare BNC connectors. I slotted them in place of the LV-61S cables. It's early days but right away I can hear even more vibrancy, snap and another layer of low level soundstage.

Never mind good acoustic recordings, what it does for well constructed electronic creations like Yello's Flag, a truly wonderful album, has to be heard to be believed. Incredible layering and depth.

Who would have thought clock cables could make such a difference?

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

8 hours ago, MartinT said:

My Canare LV-77S clock cables finally arrived. They are pretty substantial and come with very nice Canare BNC connectors.

Who would have thought clock cables could make such a difference?

I wonder if for clock cables the connectors are more important than they are for analog ICs, for example.  I'm using the LV-61S while my clock stabilizes (thanks for the recommendation - nice cable, especially for the price).  

Your clock seemed to have an immediate impact, which is interesting.  The folks at Cybershaft estimate 30 days for their clock to stabilize fully.  So far (1 week +), the Cybershaft is better than the eR's internal clock, but I've only had a few, temporary instances when I heard what it might be able to do.  If those instances are a taste of what is to come, I'm going to be very, very pleased.  Thanks for starting this thread.  It made me research clocks and, given Alex's recommendation, pick a clock that seems a reasonable investment.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man