IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

6 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I'm a lowly layman, who is guided by John"s views on such matters. 

. That topic was discussed when a proposal of equipping the ER with said toggle was floated up and   summarily rejected. I suppose Mutec offers two batteries of BNC ports, 50ohn and 75ohm respectively, for that reason. 

This point has been mooted about in many circles here in the UK impedence matcing is critical for accurate signal fidelity whatever area of electronics you may happen to work in. In audio design it is rarely taken into account, however though John S has taken the time to make the effort to account for these criteria.

In my own lab I use a Mutec Ref 10 SE-120 as a master 10Mhz reference  clock for the test equipment especially useful when performing multi domain analysis in both the time and frequency domains simultaneously. In essence using both the high specification digital oscilloscope and real time spectrum analyser together to see a wider range of signal infidelities happening instantaneously it's a very useful ability to have when looking at hard to find fast moving issues with circuits and rf receiver applications.

The Mutec also does make for a rather good audio clock as well as ones recides in the main system.  although all of the audio word clock connected turns are genuine 50 ohms which is a far more robust and desirable impedence pathway, however finding the correct matching terminations may not be do easy

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

On 6/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, Clockmeister said:

I am sure Martin T will be able to enlighten you on how his BG7TBL clock helps in his system.

Below is a an image of one of those very 10Mhz clocks using a  75 Ohm 0.5m bnc lead being measured at 50Ohm (using the 50 ohm output on the clock)  you can clearly see the impudence mismatch and the resultant distorted square wave form.

Followed by a eye diagram again clearly visible is the cable mismatch finally the FFT plot of the resultant harmonic noise.

These clocks offer a respectable upgrade for your ether regen I would suggest the use of a ultra low noise power supply is essential with this device to bring out its potential.

Clock 1 (1).png

Clock 1 (2).png

Clock 1 (3).png

Would these https://www.pasternack.com/50-ohm-bnc-male-75-ohm-bnc-female-matching-pad-pe7006-p.aspx be appropriate to match the 50 ohm output to a 75 ohm cable & receiver?

Hello AbAndgate

Old skool boolean logic been a while since collage for that one!

A great many DIY electronics enthusiasts tend to use  these impedance converting devices, its not really a complete solution if you are looking for a true impedance match.  Ideally all things being equal keeping the pathway the same Z all the wat through from Tx to Rx.

I appreciate however that most of the after-market clocks are specific 50 Ohms.

When we measure a 75 ohm impedance path ways and cables we use a set of true 75 Ohm calibration tools and have our VNA or TDR devices set to 75Ohm. Totally understand 99.7% of audio users are not going to have this facility.

What I can do is set up an example of a 75 ohm cable being used with 50 Ohm measurement parameters, this will give you an understanding of how the reflections can be seen on the waveform.

Think of it like a converter from SPDIF<>AES or single end to balanced always something lost in translation I feel.

Will it be better than a total mis match 50<>75? possibly yes, possibly no, sorry for not being more definitive.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

4 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Hello AbAndgate

Old skool boolean logic been a while since collage for that one!

A great many DIY electronics enthusiasts tend to use  these impedance converting devices, its not really a complete solution if you are looking for a true impedance match.  Ideally all things being equal keeping the pathway the same Z all the wat through from Tx to Rx.

I appreciate however that most of the after-market clocks are specific 50 Ohms.

When we measure a 75 ohm impedance path ways and cables we use a set of true 75 Ohm calibration tools and have our VNA or TDR devices set to 75Ohm. Totally understand 99.7% of audio users are not going to have this facility.

What I can do is set up an example of a 75 ohm cable being used with 50 Ohm measurement parameters, this will give you an understanding of how the reflections can be seen on the waveform.

Think of it like a converter from SPDIF<>AES or single end to balanced always something lost in translation I feel.

Will it be better than a total mis match 50<>75? possibly yes, possibly no, sorry for not being more definitive.

Logic suggests that converting impedences would outperform a 50/75 mismatch. But only people with your type of equipment and knowledge can test test that hypothesis. 

On a different note of yours:

"Think of it like a converter from SPDIF<>AES or single end to balanced always something lost in translation I feel." 

You feel, or that's a fact? Again, logic would poise said loss, but can you validated with measurements? 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Hello LMH

Logic is a great for starting the process of investigation and exploration of an interesting subject.

Personally I not use any adapters in my audio system, from experience to much of a sonic compromise for myself.

In the lab unless a particular experiment calls for specific set of conditions that requires  adpters then they are not used

This evening I can perform those tests with the impedance cables and adapters

However with your Mutec you have the ability to try some basic tests for your self, the ref 10 has both 50 and 75 Ohm outputs

BNC outputs 1 & 2 are dedicated 75 Ohm and 3 to 8 are 50 Ohm assuming you are using a correctly terminated 75 Ohm cable for your connection between ref 10 and mc3

You could engage a 50 ohm output and swap the output cable  to mc3 and report back and see if you feel there is difference in the sound quality

1 hour ago, Clockmeister said:

As promised some results from using impedance mis matched cables and adapters.

I used the lab's Mutec Ref10 SE-120 master clock as the signal generator, scope has been calibrated, all test cables 18Ghz reference ultra low loss 50 ohm, audio cables were 75 ohms matched. 50 Ohm adapter is an R&S reference 8Ghz model.

First images are a base line set, 50 ohm output, 50 ohm feed 50 ohm receiver, also I enhanced the waveform to highlight the very slight overshoot to give you an idea of  of a close up of the wave form top edge definition.

50Ohm matched transmission line.jpg

50 ohn cable 50 ohm feed measrements.jpg

50 ohm zoom on overshoot.jpg

The photos are explanation are imminently clear. Thank you!

So in a case of mismatch, what would be most detrimental to the operation of the enslaved device?

1) Would the signal occasionally not trigger gate? It doesn’t seem the case.

2) Would the timing be off? The raise and fall in the mismatch cases seem slanted; not as plumb as when impedances are matched.

3) Would the ripple/reflections introduce fresh jitter?

3) Something else?

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]

Surround

LMH

For the incoming data stream not to trigger either the wave form would have to be very badly distorted on the leading edge or the overshoot would need to be in the high double figures.  another possible option could be the clock recovery circuit being of mediocre design with fairly high corner stone frequency and very average PLL ability this would lead to issues and a large increase in distorted sounds if not drop outs so pretty rare for this situation to happen

Yes the alignment of the audio data to word bit data would not be ideal at all, simply as the main timing (derived from the word clocking circuitry) would be sub optimal and therefore an increase in time interval error (TIE) would occur with out question

Any wave form deviation from the normal incoming wave form that point the circuit would usually see during normal operations can result in an in jitter.

These deviations are cause by the following:-

TRANSMISSION LINE problems, impedance mis matching all the whole line no just the cables or board connectors, circuit board embedded pathways, components in that circuit where inductorsm capacitors or resistors.

BANDWIDTH data line not being sufficiently capable of handling the full amount of transmitted data remember audio word clocks are a staple 10Mhz so a pretty low level data stream required, however if all of the those components that make that pathway are not up to the task then jitter will occur. We use a tool called an eye diagram to look at serial data transmission lanes and can determine by observing the decoded patterns where a great many issues actually line in the circuit.

CROSSTALK  pretty obvious where other signals which should be totally isolated from the clocking sections of device actually interferes with the clock for data circuit that is connected to the clock causing introduced noise which leads to unwanted induced jitter

Data generated jitter which is caused by bad programming at the core cpu or PFGA etc this can generate ISI (intersymbal interference) induced jitter and duty cycle distortion this is quite common in either highly complex devices where a lot of processing power is required to run a device and it takes a long time for total debug or in a simple device with novice programmer skills

We have special seial data analysis tools to look at all these types of jitter problems more  on that later

RANDOM NOISE

which is cause by thermal flunctations the higher the temperature the more jitter.

This next one can be difficult to understand ,shot noise which is the random movement of electrons within the circuit like black holes and large celestial bodies mbe moved by dark matter not a lot you can do to take into account for this issue!

Lastly in this section frequency noise or pink noise the lower the frequency the more noise is introduced into the design all if these items designs take into account when coming up with a new product so tradeoffs are going to happen

All of the above cited problems can cause data line data corruption problems which will lead to the Rx end of your data stream incorrectly reading the edge crossing if the data which will result in jitter factor of electronics life.

There are more items that need addressing with jitterwe have  just touched on the surface however that is for a later post.

21 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

As promised some results from using impedance mis matched cables and adapters.

I used the lab's Mutec Ref10 SE-120 master clock as the signal generator, scope has been calibrated, all test cables 18Ghz reference ultra low loss 50 ohm, audio cables were 75 ohms matched. 50 Ohm adapter is an R&S reference 8Ghz model.

First images are a base line set, 50 ohm output, 50 ohm feed 50 ohm receiver, also I enhanced the waveform to highlight the very slight overshoot to give you an idea of  of a close up of the wave form top edge definition.

50Ohm matched transmission line.jpg

50 ohn cable 50 ohm feed measrements.jpg

50 ohm zoom on overshoot.jpg

Thanks  so much for the testing.

So as I understand it you did 

1. 50 ohm Source > 50ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - the control
  2. 75 ohm Source > 50ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - mismatched at 1 end: looked pretty good to me ?
  3. 50 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - mismatched at both ends
  4. 75 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 75to50ohm adapter > 50ohm receiver 

Am I interpreting the results correctly?  4 is better than 3. But worse than 2.

Implying adapter may make things worse . 

But we changed 2 variables between 2 and  4. 

To show if the adapter makes things worse, would this be valid or you feel it is the same as 2. 

5. 75 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 50 ohm receiver

For the kit referred to earlier in this thread the ideal test would be 

50 ohm Source > 50 to 75 ohm adapter > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm receiver 

Compared to 

50 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm receiver 

(Mocking 50 ohm ref clk and 75 ohm ether region receiver)

I guess test 4 did the opposite 75ohm Source -> 50 ohm receiver so can we assume  the principle / reflections would be the same ?

I was so wanting the adapters to make a positive difference!!

3 minutes ago, AnAndGate said:

Thanks  so much for the testing.

So as I understand it you did 

1. 50 ohm Source > 50ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - the control
  2. 75 ohm Source > 50ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - mismatched at 1 end: looked pretty good to me ?
  3. 50 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 50ohm receiver - mismatched at both ends
  4. 75 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 75to50ohm adapter > 50ohm receiver 

Thanks so much for that 

Am I interpreting the results correctly?  4 is better than 3. But worse than 2.

Implying adapter may make things worse . 

But we changed 2 variables between 2 and  4. 

To show if the adapter makes things worse, would this be valid or you feel it is the same as 2. 

5. 75 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 50 ohm receiver

For the kit referred to earlier in this thread the ideal test would be 

50 ohm Source > 50 to 75 ohm adapter > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm receiver 

Compared to 

50 ohm Source > 75 ohm cable > 75 ohm receiver 

(Mocking 50 ohm ref clk and 75 ohm ether region receiver)

I guess test 4 did the opposite 75ohm Source -> 50 ohm receiver so can we assume  the principle / reflections would be the same ?

I was so wanting the adapters to make a positive difference!!

re reading your post, I think your last post covers with and without adapter is that right? 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:26 PM, MartinT said:

Thanks - I will try it once I've got the impedance sorted. I hope I'm right in thinking an impedance mismatch affects a squarewave worse than a sinewave.

Hi @MartinT,

I am trying to understand Mutec mc-3 clock distribution capabilities:  given both Mutec and Etherregen may prefer the square wave signal  (and there is only one output) from the BG7TBL OCXO. Can Mutec MC-3 be fed the square wave, and act as the distributor through one of the word clk outputs to the Etherregen; as well as using the reference clock for  USB reclocking?

thanks

AnAndGate

Mutec's MC3 is a word clock generator with outputs that mirror the incoming audio data sample rate it automatically changes rates according to the file sample rates

This uses the pcm reclocking feature to generate the outgoing word clock rate.

I believe  Martin T uses his Aliexpress sourced 10Mhz clock to slave both the Ether regen and Mutec MC3 with a master 10 Mhz signal directly from that clock.

The Mutec can be used as clocking distribution hub however the sample rates are derived from the incoming pcm data via one of its five different format inputs.

Brands such as Esoteric and Dcs can utilise the word clock output sample rates by using the outgoing extracted word clock go their individual WC inputs

Dcs have the added complexity of having two word clock sample rates  one at direct multiples of 44,1khz the other at multiples of 48Khz.

Each word clock lane automatically detects its the desired sample rate and selects the appropriate clock lane for the correct  SR multiple for the required file based playback  or incoming subscription service stream rate

37 minutes ago, AnAndGate said:

Hi @MartinT,

I am trying to understand Mutec mc-3 clock distribution capabilities:  given both Mutec and Etherregen may prefer the square wave signal  (and there is only one output) from the BG7TBL OCXO. Can Mutec MC-3 be fed the square wave, and act as the distributor through one of the word clk outputs to the Etherregen; as well as using the reference clock for  USB reclocking?

thanks

Short answer, no. 

I believe you can get that clock custom made with 2 square wave outputs, both 75ohm. There was a discussion about it in this thread. 

Stereo

Surround

Agreed with the previous responses, you cannot use the MC-3 to redistribute the 10MHz clock.

My new OCXO with 75 ohm impedance and all-squarewave outputs is on its way so I shall see whether it was worth it soon.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

1 hour ago, kelvinwsy said:

Here is myImpedance matching adapter😅

50ohm out of clock and 75 ohm end into ER

Still burning in but sounds promising

0B8C061E-CE69-4512-9BDF-FFE2AABC90C5.jpeg

I bet you need to put a weight on the clock to keep it from keeling over! Doing something very similar...

My BG7TBL clock arrived this week. Internal OCXO spec is not as good as described earlier in the thread. I have the DAPU O55F-HSDD vs DAPU O55A OCXO.

I got some 50 -75 ohm matching pads that I attach to the clk out, and 75 ohm cables to etherregen & mutec mc-3. All seems to work. No kit to measure how much better (if any) the actual signal is with the pads, but will experiment with my ears. I notice on the cybershaft website they sell the 50 -75 ohm matchers too at a very modest price compared to non-audiophile matchers. Never usually see the pricing this way round.

A friend told me you could request the merchant at  (Ali baba) to have this device configured as a 50 ohm or 75 ohm and then you wouldn’t have to use the converter. 

I’ve never ordered from Ali Baba before and couldn’t ever complete my order. So I don’t know for sure. Compared Tuesday amazon their ordering process seems a bit sketchy. 

Does anyone sell these on eBay? 

Dies anyone know if a good linear power supply for it? 

thanks,

SteVe's V's

Speakers- Legacy Audio Vs & 2 Legacy LF Extreme Subwoofers, Amplifiers- 2 Coda 15.5 Amplifiers Biamped, Preamp- TRL Dude, DAC- Lampizator Golden Gate Legacy Audio WaveletPC Software-ROON, HQplayer, jPlay, Fidelizer, AudiophileOptimizer 2.10, jRiver, WSY2K12V2 Roon Server PC- , HqPlayer PC- Turntable- SOTA Sapphire, Sumiko FT3 Arm, Audioquest Cartridge, CODA Phono stage, Accessories- HAL Footers, PS Audio Powerbases, Aurios, HiFi Tuning Supreme Fuses, Power- PurePower+ 2000 & 3000, PS Audio: Powerbases, LAN Rover, Noise Harvester, Quintet, Ultimate Outlets HC, Welborne Labs & HdPlex LPSUs,

Cables- Clarus Crimson USB, Lampizator Silver Ghost USB, Clarus Crimson PC, Western Electric 10 gauge DIY Speaker Cables and Best-Tronics Belden 8402 Balanced Interconnects Equipment Racks- SolidSteel