IGNORED

Master Clock for your EtherREGEN

15 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Hello

Did anyone tried thé sotm master clock on ER ? 

Yes I have performed this task and can report it is a positive outcome, specifically with the sound staging and gives a more relaxed feel to the overall presentation.

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

Areospace & Audio designs with a retail outlet Musical Coherence

Hello Superdad

Like your products very much by the way 😎

With regard to the Crystek 575 clock, are you looking to replace this item in any up and coming re-engineering of the Ethernet regen at all?

While the specifications are quite good I have noticed a fair amount of harmonic noise does extended well into the 2Ghz territory in numerous products that use this device, which may possibly have an effect on surrounding circuitry?

Not a critique' just an observation.

Regards

DM

Reality is somewhat stranger than fiction with audio, beware those bearing audio gifts, all that glitters is usually poor sounding equipment contained within over engineered and nice looking cases with an equally impressive price tag to match.

3 hours ago, Clockmeister said:

Hello Superdad

Like your products very much by the way 😎

Thank you very much!

With regard to the Crystek 575 clock, are you looking to replace this item in any up and coming re-engineering of the Ethernet regen at all?

We have no plans to replace the Crystek 575 in the current EtherREGEN.

We have on paper an extremely elaborate future design (likely $2K-$3K), but with other projects in front of it I am sure it could be a year or more until release. Such would likely incorporate a much more expensive clock. (Remember, even at OEM 100+ pieces, the really good phase-noise OCXOs start at $350 for the part. Sorry, not going to screen surplus clocks or buy questionable Chinese OCXO production.)

While the specifications are quite good I have noticed a fair amount of harmonic noise does extended well into the 2Ghz territory in numerous products that use this device, which may possibly have an effect on surrounding circuitry?

I can tell from some of your posts in other threads that you are technical person with some design experience, so I will not dismiss your comment. Such should be addressed by @JohnSwenson as I am out of my depth here.  But harmonic noise in 2GHz range? Surely you are not referring to any phase-noise in that region. Is this some property of AT-cut crystals as used in XO versus SC-cut typical in OCXO? I have read a little on various crystal cuts and have not seen reference to such noise. Is this something you have measured?

Do remember that in EtherREGEN we utilize a precision clock synthesizer (we need 4 separate clock lines, 2 each at 25MHz and 250MHz) and run all clock lines as LVDS (differential). That's something you rarely see even in top-dollar DACs. 9_9

Awaiting Clockmeister’s rejoinder ...

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

On 6/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Clockmeister said:

Yes I have performed this task and can report it is a positive outcome, specifically with the sound staging and gives a more relaxed feel to the overall presentation.

Hello Meister

I read from Alex Crespi from UpTone Audio that thé etherregen likes to see square waves and not sinewaves that's thé reason I asked thé question, thé Sotm master clock being sinewaves... I also have other SoTM products to "discipline" (but not in à dungeon) so I thought better for them to have an SoTM master... 

Actually hesitating to buy between Sotm Mutec and Cybershaft

Any help ? 🐸

41 minutes ago, JohnSwenson said:

The 575 does have its own dual regulated supply, and the only thing it drives is the clock synthesizer (which has its own regulators) which only outputs LVDS signals. All clock distribution is carefully impedance matched differential pairs (I had a special board stackup used that allowed continued impedance matching as pairs changed layers). The reclocking flops are fully differential including clock. The chips which have a single ended clock input have  a very low additive phase noise LVDS to CMOS converter right next to the clock pin. The result of all this is a system that is much less sensitive to ground noise than is usually seen.

That was really the whole reason for the EtherREGEN, produce much less ground plane noise in the first place, and have circuitry much less sensitive to what ground plane noise that is there. Unfortunately I can't do anything about what is inside the chips themselves. I spent 30 years designing power networks inside large high speed chips, I have a VERY good feeling for what that can do to jitter for the circuitry inside a chip. Unfortunately we can't afford to do a full custom chip for every function we need, so all I can do is choose ones where it looks like someone did a fairly decent job on the internal PG networks.

John S.

Hello John

I would expect nothing less and good engineering principles for eliminating as much internal electrical and outside connective signal noise as possible. Though as you say you can only address all of the potential hot spots you have identified within the remit of projects budget and the fact you have paid attention to ground plane noise is good, so many audio designers do not feel it relevant to pursue this avenue. So appreciate your more wide band approach to this product.

Rolling your own chips best solution however budgets way above this products pay grade I feel.

4 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

Hello Meister

I read from Alex Crespi from UpTone Audio that thé etherregen likes to see square waves and not sinewaves that's thé reason I asked thé question, thé Sotm master clock being sinewaves... I also have other SoTM products to "discipline" (but not in à dungeon) so I thought better for them to have an SoTM master... 

Actually hesitating to buy between Sotm Mutec and Cybershaft

Any help ? 🐸

Isn't Mutec the only one with a square wave? If so, and given that according to John that' shape is optimal the ER, then you have your answer. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Lot's of great insight in this thread, many thanks I learned a lot.

The BG7TBL/DAPU clock is a very interesting solution.  We'd have some control over the sound because we have an assortment of power supplies that we can use to match the needs of our systems. I messaged the fellow HamRadioshop on the original aliexpress link days ago.  He got back to me today and said that he can make a 75 ohm version!  So cost would be $125 unit + $475 for say an sbooster mkii, so $600 CAD.  Not bad.  I wish the LPS 1.2 had the power, but the JS-2 would be the ideal PSU I'd imagine (power both the eR and clock with it).  I've had the $99 ifi 12v plug providing 18watts without issue to my NAS, so one could potentially get away with that for experimentation.

Teac 10m.  This has only 50 ohm outputs.  Inside, the transformer is quite small.  Beautiful casing, and I'm sure it will last.  A simple comparison is here:  https://dime.jp/genre/604669/  (use Chrome for auto-translate).  There's a ton of foreign reviews.  It seems that it can improve imaging and soundstaging as expected by a clock but only to an extent.  Teac Direct on eBay has a few open box clocks.  They are taking offers.  To get this to work Cybershaft has a 75 ohm to 50 ohm adapter that would connect to the eR.  They also have 2 50 ohm cable options, both very reasonable cost.  The review above reviews the basic cable, and they seem to have liked it.  Almost all reviews are with the associated Teac dac, or a Esoteric.  There's a youtube review with before/after audio footage.  I don't hear that big of a change.  Same reviewer has before/after with the Bonn N8, much bigger change.  Cost (CAD) $1400 open box + $150 for cybershaft accessories.  I think this would be worth it if my dac could use the external clock as well.  From what I gather, cascading a second eR would likely have a greater effect or a Farad power supply with a reasonable cable at much less cost.

Cybershaft Op-14.  Prices have gone up a lot over the last two years.  Now about the same as Teac retail.  The review says it provides more than the Teac but sounds sharp.  Inside looks to be an R core transformer.  The clock itself is shielded but looks to be a Chinese 4G clock as well.  Big capacitors near the clock must help, but I do wonder if we give the BG7TBL/DAPU clock a mid or top range power supply how close it would get to the low range Cybershaft solution.

Mutec - sounds like it has the right sound qualities for my taste.  With that price though, I'd wait for the Uptone ClockRegen.

I might just hop on MartinT's bandwagon and go with the BG7TBL/DAPU clock with 75 ohm terminals for now.  Entry level 75 ohm BNC cables actually seem reasonably priced.  1m Wireworld's Chroma is only $30 USD, Starlight 8 $100, Cardas Parsec $140.

I'd really like to know:

- How hot does the BG7TBL get?  Does it need a lot of ventilation?

- Does it increase sibilance, harshness, or make the sound forward?  Any change to warmth, or the treble/bass balance of the sound?

I am sure Martin T will be able to enlighten you on how his BG7TBL clock helps in his system.

Below is a an image of one of those very 10Mhz clocks using a  75 Ohm 0.5m bnc lead being measured at 50Ohm (using the 50 ohm output on the clock)  you can clearly see the impudence mismatch and the resultant distorted square wave form.

Followed by a eye diagram again clearly visible is the cable mismatch finally the FFT plot of the resultant harmonic noise.

These clocks offer a respectable upgrade for your ether regen I would suggest the use of a ultra low noise power supply is essential with this device to bring out its potential.

Clock 1 (1).png

Clock 1 (2).png

Clock 1 (3).png

1 hour ago, audiotunesx said:

I'd really like to know:

- Does it increase sibilance, harshness, or make the sound forward?  Any change to warmth, or the treble/bass balance of the sound?

Glad to have got people thinking about the BG7TBL.  It was just an experiment but turns out to require no apology whatsoever, its performance is astonishing for the money.

Answers:
1) the outer case gets hardly even tepid to the touch.  There is plenty of air inside and no special ventilation required.  The OCXO is ready inside one minute and I leave mine switched on.

2) no, it greatly increases soundstage width and depth, air and space, rhythmic intensity.  I have not noticed any more forwardness but I have noticed backing singers or rear of orchestra appear far behind the plane of the speakers.  Amazing depth.  The natural balance of my system is unchanged but bass has taken on additional potency and extension such that air movements and infra-bass come through more clearly, sometimes shaking the room.  My speakers are not lacking in bass ability.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

https://theaudiostandard.net

1 hour ago, audiotunesx said:

I messaged the fellow HamRadioshop on the original aliexpress link days ago.  He got back to me today and said that he can make a 75 ohm version!  So cost would be $125 unit

Appreciated if you could give a link to this!

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I've had good experiences with Oyaide in the past and decided to go with the AS-808B V2 BNC cable to test with the BG7TBL.  Cable Company doesn't stock this, so bought from an eBay store for $90 CAD shipped.  The silver DB-510 seems fairly well received and also good value.  If the BG7TBL works out, but the copper cable makes it too dark, I'll test the DB-510 afterwards.

Another low cost option that came up in some old threads is the Canare 12G-SDI, $27 USD.  If for some reason the Oyaide copper is bright, I'll give this one a try.  

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1338226-REG/canare_cal55cuhd003_12g_sdi_4k_uhd_single_channel_bnc_cable.html

7 hours ago, audiotunesx said:

Lot's of great insight in this thread, many thanks I learned a lot.

The BG7TBL/DAPU clock is a very interesting solution.  We'd have some control over the sound because we have an assortment of power supplies that we can use to match the needs of our systems. I messaged the fellow HamRadioshop on the original aliexpress link days ago.  He got back to me today and said that he can make a 75 ohm version!  So cost would be $125 unit + $475 for say an sbooster mkii, so $600 CAD.  Not bad.  I wish the LPS 1.2 had the power, but the JS-2 would be the ideal PSU I'd imagine (power both the eR and clock with it).  I've had the $99 ifi 12v plug providing 18watts without issue to my NAS, so one could potentially get away with that for experimentation.

Teac 10m.  This has only 50 ohm outputs.  Inside, the transformer is quite small.  Beautiful casing, and I'm sure it will last.  A simple comparison is here:  https://dime.jp/genre/604669/  (use Chrome for auto-translate).  There's a ton of foreign reviews.  It seems that it can improve imaging and soundstaging as expected by a clock but only to an extent.  Teac Direct on eBay has a few open box clocks.  They are taking offers.  To get this to work Cybershaft has a 75 ohm to 50 ohm adapter that would connect to the eR.  They also have 2 50 ohm cable options, both very reasonable cost.  The review above reviews the basic cable, and they seem to have liked it.  Almost all reviews are with the associated Teac dac, or a Esoteric.  There's a youtube review with before/after audio footage.  I don't hear that big of a change.  Same reviewer has before/after with the Bonn N8, much bigger change.  Cost (CAD) $1400 open box + $150 for cybershaft accessories.  I think this would be worth it if my dac could use the external clock as well.  From what I gather, cascading a second eR would likely have a greater effect or a Farad power supply with a reasonable cable at much less cost.

Cybershaft Op-14.  Prices have gone up a lot over the last two years.  Now about the same as Teac retail.  The review says it provides more than the Teac but sounds sharp.  Inside looks to be an R core transformer.  The clock itself is shielded but looks to be a Chinese 4G clock as well.  Big capacitors near the clock must help, but I do wonder if we give the BG7TBL/DAPU clock a mid or top range power supply how close it would get to the low range Cybershaft solution.

Mutec - sounds like it has the right sound qualities for my taste.  With that price though, I'd wait for the Uptone ClockRegen.

I might just hop on MartinT's bandwagon and go with the BG7TBL/DAPU clock with 75 ohm terminals for now.  Entry level 75 ohm BNC cables actually seem reasonably priced.  1m Wireworld's Chroma is only $30 USD, Starlight 8 $100, Cardas Parsec $140.

I'd really like to know:

I'm a lowly layman, who is guided by John"s views on such matters. 

As I mentioned above, according to John, the ER, as other audio equipment, is designed around a square wave signal. You may want  to take that into account. 

In addition, as he explains in a different thread, the 75/50 ohm adaptors and toggles, as Cybershat employs, are ineffective and don't perform as intended. That topic was discussed when a proposal of equipping the ER with said toggle was floated up and   summarily rejected. I suppose Mutec offers two batteries of BNC ports, 50ohn and 75ohm respectively, for that reason. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

6 hours ago, audiotunesx said:

Another low cost option that came up in some old threads is the Canare 12G-SDI, $27 USD.

I'm using 0.5m Canare LV-61S 75 ohm cables to very good effect.

TP-Link MR6400 4G router > Uptone EtherREGEN reclocker > Sonore Signature Rendu SE streamer > Gustard U18 DDC > Gustard X26 Pro DAC > Belles SA-100 power amp > Usher Dancer Be-20 speakers. AfterDark clocks x 2. PS Audio P3 & P10 regenerators.

6 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

As I mentioned above, according to John, the ER, as other audio equipment, is designed around a square wave signal. You may want  to take that into account.

I'm using the BG7TBL squarewave output into the ER.