IGNORED

Article: Meet The Audiophile Style Community | Volume 1

Chris:  Thank you for the generous reply! I very much share the passion in pursuing "the better illusion."  The one thing I wish this site could allow (but it obviously cannot) is for me to experience your illusion and vice versa.  I can still remember times that go up to 30 years back where I had the opportunity to listen to a system that someone had gotten just right and the "magic" that took place in sitting down even for a few minutes to listen.  I can imagine that takes place in your new listening room.  

Sadly, I almost never get that feeling at a dealers store or in a demonstration in a hotel or other public venue.  But I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen systems among the more popular contributors here that would produce that magical illusion even if they do it in a completely different way than mine does.  Maybe when all this is over we'll find reasons to actually share some of those experiences in person.  If you do get to northern California in that better future you are always welcome to come by for a listen.

Be well! 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

3 minutes ago, sdolezalek said:

Chris:  Thank you for the generous reply! I very much share the passion in pursuing "the better illusion."  The one thing I wish this site could allow (but it obviously cannot) is for me to experience your illusion and vice versa.  I can still remember times that go up to 30 years back where I had the opportunity to listen to a system that someone had gotten just right and the "magic" that took place in sitting down even for a few minutes to listen.  I can imagine that takes place in your new listening room.  

Sadly, I almost never get that feeling at a dealers store or in a demonstration in a hotel or other public venue.  But I'm pretty sure there are at least a dozen systems among the more popular contributors here that would produce that magical illusion even if they do it in a completely different way than mine does.  Maybe when all this is over we'll find reasons to actually share some of those experiences in person.  If you do get to northern California in that better future you are always welcome to come by for a listen.

Be well! 

I’m with you 100% on this. Spending time at a friend’s place after he just “got things right” can be unforgettable. 

I’d love to get back out to Northern California once we return to our new normal. Perhaps a little tour of community members’ systems. Now that would be enjoyable. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’d love to get back out to Northern California once we return to our new normal. Perhaps a little tour of community members’ systems. Now that would be enjoyable. 

I'll put away a few bottles for the occasion now... 😉 

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

17 hours ago, sdolezalek said:

The one thing I wish this site could allow (but it obviously cannot) is for me to experience your illusion and vice versa.  I can still remember times that go up to 30 years back where I had the opportunity to listen to a system that someone had gotten just right and the "magic" that took place in sitting down even for a few minutes to listen. 

Agree that this can be fascinating and further our appreciation for how many paths there are to audio nirvana.

I had the opportunity to listen to a system assembled by someone who writes for the hobby.  Not a fancy system, but well-tuned.  I found the sound very nice, but also surprisingly different from my own, and I know the writer had a similar reaction to my system when he visited me.  At that time, many years ago, he said:  This system is all about the midrange.  Now I know that he was correct, but I didn't at the time.  On the other hand, I found his system to be homogenized, and while pleasant, I couldn't live with that long term.  I imagine he has evolved his system since then too.  

Perhaps the best part of that mutual listening session, however, was getting exposed to new music.  He brought the CDs he knew best and I discovered some music I hadn't heard.  I think that at least we get that part of the benefit by reading reviews here at AS and elsewhere.  It is great when reviewers provide a Qobuz list, which makes it very simple for those of us who use that service.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

2 hours ago, JoeWhip said:

I always use fresh lemon juice in my tea. No milk or cream for me.

With Earl Grey tea?  Joe, say it isn't so!  😃

3 hours ago, JDoyle said:

Not sure about the fancy brands that are discussed here, but Tea increases your chances of developing Kidney Stones.

Try to chase it with Lemon water...

JD

But dark tea is good for your eyes (not only according to Chinese wisdom, but also western science).  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

But dark tea is good for your eyes (not only according to Chinese wisdom, but also western science).  

Bodhidharma brought Buddhism to China in the 6th century. He spent almost all his time meditating while struggling with sleep. One day, he discovered that he had fallen asleep while meditating. Being quite annoyed by this circumstance, Bodhidharma tore his eyelids off and threw them on the ground - so that his eyes were always open. The first tea bushes grew out of the torn eyelids, according to legend. Since then, monks in monasteries have used tea to prevent sleep.

As a coffee snob, I can’t cotton to this tea stuff, but my wife would approve. 

A few other things I’d like to know are:

1) What was your first “good” DAC and which one is your all-time favorite?

2) What kind of hearing protection do you use at concerts?

3) What do you think is the all-time best audiophile system “test” album?

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

1) What was your first “good” DAC and which one is your all-time favorite?

My first good DAC was a Benchmark DAC1 USB. My first great DAC was the original Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC. 

The original Berkeley is probably my all time favorite because it was revolutionary for me at the time. It’s in my collection, collecting dust because I have better performing DACs now. 

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

2) What kind of hearing protection do you use at concerts?

I use my custom in ear monitors with 26 dB of passive attenuation. Currently the Alclair Electro - https://alclair.com/product/electro-electrostatic/

I just remove the cables for concerts. 

3 hours ago, JoshM said:

3) What do you think is the all-time best audiophile system “test” album?

I just can’t get into such things. Yeah some albums sound spectacular but the unemotional aspect that usually accompanies them is off putting to me. I have no problem with others being into such albums and I absolutely don’t put myself on some divisive music first pedestal.  We all like what we like. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 4/5/2020 at 9:24 PM, JoshM said:

...3) What do you think is the all-time best audiophile system “test” album?...

On 4/6/2020 at 12:54 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just can’t get into such things. Yeah some albums sound spectacular but the unemotional aspect that usually accompanies them is off putting to me. I have no problem with others being into such albums and I absolutely don’t put myself on some divisive music first pedestal.  We all like what we like. 

Chris are you aware that the Japanese Three Blind Mice recordings you like so well are audiophile recordings?

Since I brought up Japanese audiophile labels have you checked out Venus Records? I have three of their SACDs, they are much too expensive for me, usually $40 or more. Amazon sometimes have a few select titles for $20 or less, I buy them then. They claim to have Hyper Magnum Sound whatever that is. Really great Jazz IMHO.

Here is a picture of the front cover of the one I'm listening to now: Simone Kopmajer: New Romance.

Since you are exploring Jazz you may actually have more audiophile recordings in your collection besides Three Blind Mice. Jazz and Classical music are the most popular forms of newly recorded audiophile recordings.

IMHO there are many audiophile recordings that are very emotional, just as there are many whose performances leave me cold. I find this also true of non-audiophile recordings.

3690_f_new_romance.jpg

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I am also a tea lover.  On your recommendation, I bought - Organic Nepali Golden Black from Young Mountain Tea. While certainly not the best tea that I have ever tasted, it is extremely good and I placed a second order for a larger quantity!

Headphones: ZMF Atrium Closed, ZMF Bokeh, Audeze LCD-X, Meze 109 Pro, Focal Clear Mg, Noble Katana IEMs, Dan Clark Aeon 2 Closed
Amp/DAC: Decware MKIII Tube Amp, ZMF Homage, Schiit Bifrost 2/64, Woo Audio WA8, Burston Playmate 2, Mytek DSD192 DAC, Cayin RU7, Chord Mojo, Fiio M11 Plus DAP
Cables: Promitheus XLR Interconnects, WyWired red cables, Meze Silver, ZMF 6.35 ofc and 4 pin xlr stock, Arctic Cable, Audio Envy Cable balanced, balanced Silver Interconnects
Other: Aurender N100H, Macbook Pro (2023) running Audirvana Studio

On 3/31/2020 at 7:06 AM, austinpop said:

Wow Chris, this is a side of you I did not know.

I come from a tea-snob family too, but for more direct reasons. I spent the first ten years of my life in Eastern India, and actually went to a boarding school in Darjeeling. My uncle managed tea estates (or as they were called then, tea gardens) and managed several all over that region over his career, in Jalpaiguri, Kalimpong, and a couple of gardens in Assam. I've only visited tea gardens as a child, but the experience is wonderful. 

Unsurprisingly, I'm a Darjeeling snob too!

Wow. From Sikkim here. But I must say that the First Flush from Temi Tea in Sikkim is the most fragrant and lovely tea.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

• 1 month later...

I am into photography too and I like tea, even though my tastes are not so esoteric. I miss Nestea Ice Tea (mix) from the 1970s. I only do digital photography. Have never sent a pic online. Would not even know how. Each Christmas I put up a huge amazing Christmas Village. Not under any of the Christmas trees, but on an elevated platform, so that when looking at it off to your side while seated, your eyes are pretty much street level. Magic!  I get my little pocket digital camera out and take all kind of photos of my village in the dark, with as many as 50 houses/buildings lit up and blinking. I tape tissue paper over the flash  so the flash doesn't make a magical night scene into a ho hum day scene. My photography was influenced by Walter Wick, the guy behind the I Spy children's books, meant to sharpen their powers of perception. He came out with 2 different I Spy Christmas books. I collect a bunch of different things and am a very visual person, in addition to being a very audio oriented person. I listen to anything from rock to classical. I modify all the equipment I use to listen to music; except one thing that I would not ever want to change in any way shape or form.