IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

You mean increases in latencies (if you are looking to decrease latencies). If you refer to the link I gave for ecc, Linus Torvalds is highlighting the headaches for coding and kernels. I assume this is always a competition between the bad and the worse. 
my opinion. 

question : how do you recognize high quality DDR4 ?

Yes, but the limitations of this card are also related to the cpu :

Support for 9th and 8th Generation Intel® CoreTM processors

Not necessarily the last one but 8/9... it's not 10... and even less 12.
At least it's compatible with my i5 8400 (8th generation) but I'm not ready to do DSD256 with 7ECv2 !

The idea is to benefit from the latest generations.

For cpu, lastest is often best

An i9-10900, mentioned above, allows DSD 256 7ECv2 (i think).

It's still fanless.
So a well powered Aorus MB (or equivalent) is certainly my future choice.

For the DDR, I agree but at SOTM it is limited to 2666Mhz

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

11 minutes ago, Patatorz said:

DSD 256 7ECv2 Is making such difference with HQP that you need such power ? With which DAC ?
what do you mean by « well powered » ?

The best is the enemy of the good.
A French expression that would shut down all audiophile forums.
It's mostly the DSD256 that works very well on my system with a downward extension (vs DSD128).
But a little more (7ECv2) gets us closer to the graal !! 😉

At the moment, my happiness :

(I can't do better with the i5 8400)

image.thumb.png.e8c2afe8783c63b63c29e13bbe2cf117.png

ROON + HQP / Hdplex H3-i5 + 400ATX >Gustard A26 (NAA twk) > SQM > Benchmark AHB2 / Recital Audio Illumine HEFA

perfect is the enemy of good ;-)

Regardless, I've not read much in the marketing lingo of that MB that makes me trigger happy...asides from the fact I'm using Ryzen,it looks like a MB designed for low power older CPUs, nothing about direct phases, nr of VRMs etc.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

Aloha! 
It takes a while to go through all the pages of this thread. And I am expressing my deepest gratitude to the contributors for sharing their insight and educating us.
I build a CAPS server long ago and used Foobar2K for playing everything in the native sample rate. From yesterday I am trying with HQPlayer but till now, I failed to get a better sound in DSD format(256) from 44.1K. Any conversion from PCM to DSD sounds inferior(soundstage narrowed down, muddy bass). But it sounds OK with a PCM higher rate(768k) but not better than Foobar2000 player in native sample rate. 
Now playing in: 
Mode: source, Filter: poly-sinc-guass-long, Shaper: Guass1 Format: 44.1k/16/2 - 768k/32/2 - it's no better than Foobar2K

Source: CAPS server with Xeon processor+ PPA OCXO USB card+ HD Plex LPS > ISO Regen> Gustard DDC U16 > HDMI > Denafrip Pontus II DAC 
Amp: Hegel P30 + H30
Speaker: Dynaudio Sapphire
Have you compared HQPlayer (upsampled in DSD) to Foobar2K in the native sample rate?
Could you please tell me what I am missing here?

On 12/31/2021 at 6:38 AM, Asimov said:

Have you compared HQPlayer (upsampled in DSD) to Foobar2K in the native sample rate?

No

On 12/31/2021 at 6:38 AM, Asimov said:

Could you please tell me what I am missing here?

Remote diagnoses are difficult. The filters and modulators of the HQPlayer are very diverse. If you like PCM better than DSD - why not? But it is a pity that Denafrips has a very good design for DSD. 

https://www.denafrips.com/specs-pontus

DSD  DSD64 (DoP) on Coax/AES/Opt Input 
  DSD1024* On USB & I²S Input Only 
PCM  24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Input 
  1536kHz* On USB & I²S Input 

I would experiment a little bit. Leave out the Gustard and go with USB into the DAC. Then you can do PCM oversampling up to 1.536kHz. Listen to DSD again with the new ASDM7ECv2 modulators. 

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

No

Remote diagnoses are difficult. The filters and modulators of the HQPlayer are very diverse. If you like PCM better than DSD - why not? But it is a pity that Denafrips has a very good design for DSD. 

https://www.denafrips.com/specs-pontus

DSD  DSD64 (DoP) on Coax/AES/Opt Input 
  DSD1024* On USB & I²S Input Only 
PCM  24bits / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192KHz On All Input 
  1536kHz* On USB & I²S Input 

I would experiment a little bit. Leave out the Gustard and go with USB into the DAC. Then you can do PCM oversampling up to 1.536kHz. Listen to DSD again with the new ASDM7ECv2 modulators. 

Aloha!

Thanks for your response. 

I can't play with the ASDM7EC due to dropouts and it's due to 3.50Ghz processor. But it plays fine with ASDM7, actually it can't play any "EC" shaper. Now I'm playing with "source" mode with ease. But I will try again playing PCM files in DSD format without the DDC(Gustard). 

But I am curious why you are not using any DDC!

I have already ordered Hermes DDC from Denafrip but unfortunately it is limited up to DSD512 on USB Input & I²S Output and for PCM up to 768KHz on USB Input & Up to 384KHz on I²S Output. 

PCM-source.png

PCM-source-2.png

With this setting, the HQPlayer cannot sound good. The digital volume control is red. You have to set at least -3dB to avoid clipping. I use -4dB.

7 minutes ago, Asimov said:

But I am curious why you are not using any DDC!

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has Signalyst NAA (Network Audio Adapter) on board. This is the best connection I have had so far.

10 minutes ago, StreamFidelity said:

With this setting, the HQPlayer cannot sound good. The digital volume control is red. You have to set at least -3dB to avoid clipping. I use -4dB.

The T+A SDV 3100 HV has Signalyst NAA (Network Audio Adapter) on board. This is the best connection I have had so far.

I read in the HQ thread that if I use external active pre-amp it needs maximum volume, and I am not hearing any clipping/distortion. Anyway, I'll use -3db. Thanks once again. 

BTW, have you tried any DDC with your Terminator Plus DAC?

42 minutes ago, Asimov said:

BTW, have you tried any DDC with your Terminator Plus DAC?

No. That would certainly have been an interesting experience with the GAIA DDC. I know that Denafrips recommends I²S. 

GAIA%20Sync.webp

Source: https://www.denafrips.com/terminator-plus

My sound experience with JCAT USB XE was great, so I never felt the need.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

@StreamFidelityI have slowly been working my way through the 146 pages.    There is a massive amount of talk about lowering the heat within the HDPlex H5 cases, with the higher powered CPU's  - TDP 105 and above.

I love the look of your Perspex lids.   I can't see anywhere if you have done any testing of temps from your personal Server both with the standard H5 lid on and with the 4 Hole Perspex Lid.

Any stats available please?

Regards Cazzesman

I have copied this question to my thread.  

With the old H5 V2 chassis, the CPU temperature difference between an open chassis and with acrylic lid was only 2-3°C (depending on operation and installed components). 

The new H5 V3 chassis cools the CPU much better. There is also now a solution for the Solarflare NICs via heatpipes. With that in mind, the optics (whoever likes it) outweighs the cooling effect. 😉

I think the acrylic lid will still cool a few degrees better because the air is exhausted directly above the CPU and PCIe cards. For hardcore DSD conversion it maybe make the difference. But I haven't done any measurements. 

Thanks for the reply,

the CPU temperature difference between an open chassis and with acrylic lid was only 2-3°C

When you say 'open chassis' I take it you mean with the metal lid completely off the H5.

If that is the case do you have data on both the approx temps with the metal lid on and with the lid off? v(depending on operation and installed components).

I am just trying to gage the merits of the large holes in the lid, to release so heat build up.    No doubt there is some but I was wondering how much approximately.

Regards Cazzesman

10 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

When you say 'open chassis' I take it you mean with the metal lid completely off the H5.

Yes

11 hours ago, Cazzesman said:

If that is the case do you have data on both the approx temps with the metal lid on and with the lid off?

Not yet. Maybe I'll run a series of tests at some point. At the moment, I don't have the time.

peak temperature is one thing, temperature stability is another. It may well be more beneficial for performance to accept a one or two degree higher temperature that is very stable than a lower but more unstable CPU temperature. Ultimately CPU temp is also important, IMO the difference between 55 or 57'C is likely inconsequential.

I added a significant copper mass to the CPU to increase temp stability and although I cannot differentiate between temp stability or decreased vibrations the SQ impact was well worth it.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps.