IGNORED

DIY Project High Performance Audio PC with high quality wiring

16 hours ago, deanorthk said:

I have found the Asus formula, but no 9900K

Why not go straight to the latest 12th processor generation? These CPUs and Z690 motherboards are much more powerful. 

On 4/2/2022 at 2:58 PM, StreamFidelity said:

Why not go straight to the latest 12th processor generation? These CPUs and Z690 motherboards are much more powerful. 

It's purely a cost question, I did have the money, but just bought an old XVIIIish century farm in France, and I have kinda other priority:) 

And the 9900K/Z390 is not a bad combo, as is my I9 7900X for my gaming rig:)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 6:26 PM, Nenon said:

Let us know how these perform. It will be good to have more alternatives.

Tell them that super low output impedance is a key. Even sub mOhm improvements are audible from my experience with this. 

Hello @Nenon, quick follow up on this topic. I’m waiting in the coming weeks an ULPS from Pachanko who finally designed one. Still looking for final specifications but it should be close to your V2 or V3 specification and a voltage output of 36V.

Good to see that more options would be available after Sean Jabobc, SoulAnalog, DIY etc…

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 4:55 AM, StreamFidelity said:

For all those who are a bit annoyed by the subscription model of Euphony or Roon, there is a free alternative: HQPlayer OS. Of course, a valid HQPlayer Embedded license must be present. But it can be tested free of charge before (every 30min. a restart is required).

I wrote something about it here: Use HQPlayer as operating system and as standalone player.

Thanks!  Already upgraded to v4 but should be easy enough to burn HQPe to a different USB attached M.2 drive and play around with it. While HQPe runs under Euphony,

Euphony was controlling drive access paths in v3 which was a PITA if you wanted to add/scan a library

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

It would be good to compare this against 10980/10900 HEDT processors which a lot of people use but are difficult thermally

And DDR5 seems to have poorer latency compared to DDR4.  https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/core_i9_12900k_ddr4_versus_ddr5_performance_review,16.html

The HEDT platforms have quad channel memory, Z790 only dual channel....

I think memory arcitecture differences will be interesting to evaluate.  Improved cache and latency on 13900k might negate differences?

The higher bandwidth of 13900k might remove the need for quad channel:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/best-music-software.25137/post-541299

Good choice with 13900KF - always sounds better without onboard GPU.  I’m just wondering if some of the cores could be disabled to get within the power bracket of HDPlex chassis.

I’ll check out the g-skill.  60ns latency, I think the best DDR4 managed to get ~40ns?

Just a question of what is more important, latency or bandwidth?  Perhaps a slight loss in latency doesn’t really matter…

Good that it has on-die ECC!

2 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Just a question of what is more important, latency or bandwidth?

Here's the answer from someone who knows a lot more about it than I do. 😄

On 5/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, Miska said:

Both latency and bandwidth matters. Latency defines delay between memory access request and time before the data is delivered. And then bandwidth defines how fast the delivery is.

Thanks once again - Looks like DDR5 does do quad channel (two channels per DIMM), 10900 series was quad channel and provided an uptick in sound quality by all accounts.

I've been using APacer since 2020, DDR4:2666 and CL22 - this new G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO black DIMM Kit 32GB bests the APacer on latency. 10ns vs 16ns.  Things have moved on...

APacers new DDR5 AU16GHB48CTBBGH?  A bit slower then the G.Skill..... no wide temperature models anymore....

The motherboards aren't cheep though: ROG MAXIMUS Z690 APEX, ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME... probably very little benefit going to Z790 (such as ROG MAXIMUS Z790 EXTREME) for our application when the above can be purchased cheaper.

all this talk on Intel. I have just completed an AMD 7700x build with 16GB 6000khz memory and gigabyte aorus b650m pro mobo and the results (using Daphile) are excellent. Superior to my earlier build using a 5800x and more analogue than my initial i5 9600. Use the BIOS to invoke ECO mode and you get a big reduction in temperature with minimal drop in performance. I also have an interesting case build with Thermaltake V21, noctua nh p1 passive cooler, replaced the thermaltake 10" fan with Noctua, added a 120mm NF-A12x25 LS-PWM Noctua fan to the cooler, elfidelity power buffers for 8tb ssd and fans, Teradak LPSU for the computer, and jcat XE USB (pcie-1 so direct interface with the cpu) with Plixir lpsu. The fans are silent and only operate during 'extreme' loads. I also rotated the cooler and raised the 10" fan so there is a direct natural wind tunnel front to back. Interesting observation was as soon as you hear the 'new' sound there is no going back - the improvement was instantaneous. 

1 hour ago, Gavin1977 said:

I've been using APacer since 2020, DDR4:2666 and CL22 - this new G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO black DIMM Kit 32GB bests the APacer on latency. 10ns vs 16ns.  Things have moved on...

CL22 for DDR4-2666 is pretty slow. I've been mostly using G.Skill DDR4-3600 CL16...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers