IGNORED

Paul's view on Cables, Audio Precision Analyzer, etc.

Blake

For jitter, wouldn't better results be obtained by measuring at the clock input to the DAC chip using a (ridiculously expensive) phase noise analyser? These specs for a Rohde & Schwarz instrument should be good enough for most DACs:

image.png.309688c41da2344d46efc5768bd24b6f.png

Such a measurement obviously won't take into account any degradation within the DAC chip, which I don't know how bad it might be. Then again, if it is too bad, all those fancy clocks won't be doing any good.

11 minutes ago, Superdad said:

John Miles--developer of the original Timepod (upon which the Symmetricon/Microsemi units are based) and author of the terrific and open-source s/w for it--has gone to work for Jackson Labs. His joining them has resulted in the recent introduction of the PhaseStation: http://www.jackson-labs.com/index.php/products/phasestation_signal_source_analyzer, at a much more reasonable $13,460.

That amount of money for a device relying on proprietary software that may or may not work next year is not what I call reasonable.

12 minutes ago, jabbr said:

You can't even imagine what it takes to get that old HP/Agilent equipment to run ... not just some specific ancient version of Windows but with a clock rate limited CPU ... and lots and lots of duct tape.

A self-contained device should simply keep working until it breaks physically.

8 hours ago, opus101 said:

Its a mythological beast. I have asked on at least one other forum whether there is in reality a category of such ('competently designed DAC' is a popular synonym), but precisely zero people have offered a checklist so that any particular DAC can be included in (or excluded from) the mythical category. A category without such a means of inclusion/exclusion only exists in the imagination.

I don't think there are any specific traits that are necessary for or prohibitive of a competent design. The presence of certain design elements are at best indicative one way or the other. Reality is not made up of simple categories defined by checkboxes. That's marketing.

40 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I strong disagree with the section in bold.

Using one of your beloved car analogies, some roads (recordings) are like this:

b7c4a04f-7f1a-44ac-b689-9516f1b7c7e5-52365689_2576383472378953_4680490136083890176_n.thumb.jpg.44e5205f75e2354b48f6af1678628848.jpg

No futzing around with the car (the rig) is going to provide a satisfactory driving experience here.

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, I was inspired to retrieve the best audio of that Louie Louie version, so that the media player would have a nice chunky WAV to work with ... niiice!!! Drums are great, good acoustic, voice set way back in the background - unconventional mix, but it works!!

It was recorded with a single microphone dangling high above the band. The singer had to look up and scream at the top of his lungs to be heard at all over the drums.