IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

anyone else with results from some bypass capacitor rolling? Or adding some capacitance AFTER the Taiko ATX module?

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

there is no NEED, but there is the possibility to do so and it woný change any behaviour of that module. The MB also has capacitance in various places. The length of EPS wire between the ATX and the MB, even when kept short does not help.

More importantly, Taiko specifies that the max capacitance the module can handle, that got me thinking about capacitors on the MB, and I simply tested adding a small cap connected to the EPS wire as close to the EPS connector as I could add it and low and behold it does improve SQ.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

2 hours ago, Nenon said:

I also heard a Lumin U1 while picking up a Gryphon Essence amplifier to try at home. The U1 did not sound bad at all, and the thought about trying a better supply on it occurred to me right away. But it was in another system and hard to tell if it was good or just the rest of the system was pretty good. 

The Lumin X1 power supply can also be used on the U1 with a cable supplied to suit.  Any Lumin is heavily dependent on the source that's feeding it, that includes cables, and the music server. If I make changes to the source, the effect is noticeable right away on the U1.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

I'm now auditioning some bypass caps for the Taiko ATX output, first in line is a Duelund tinned copper...first impressions are very good!

Still in proto phase, so do not mind te long leads and iron croc clamps....

20220109_195006.thumb.jpg.024bc184c0acf18c35371c976410ca38.jpgStill in prototyp

The verdict is in, the Duelund is very good but there is better..out of all caps the Duleund was third, the proprietary cap I mentioned earleir comes second and a hand made prototype a friend of me made with exotic metals comes in first. The Duelund still suffers from a little edge and is not as open as the other two and above all the winner sounds so natural in timbres and overtones.

On 1/8/2022 at 11:46 PM, Nenon said:

This is a QSA silver fuse. It retails for $5000. It can be obtained cheaper, but still... it's the most expensive fuse I have seen by far. I am listening to one of these right now, and it's hard to comprehend what this thing does. 

First, it sounds amazingly good. 

Second, it sounds a lot better than bypassing the fuse. 

I have owned the QSA blue, yellow, and red. 

They all have a gloss/sheen that is instantly recognizable.

Some may find that too bright.

Both the yellow and red have that mesmerizing layering effect, where you can simultaneously hear several layers of music.

I also notice they lean towards the analytical/detailed side.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

• 2 weeks later...

The Noratel custom transformer from Taiko can be purchased here:

https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/product/taiko-audio-transformer/

From Taiko:

If you are also interested in our DIY audio server chassis; we will be providing the opportunity to order a DIY chassis together with a transformer and/or other options in the future. To save on shipping you can choose to wait until the DIY chassis becomes available, however unfortunately this won’t be until at least end of March, due to severe supply chain issues regarding delivery of the heatsinks. The reason that delivery of the DIY Chassis is delayed - again – is because our supplier of heatsinks has -once again- delayed delivery of the heatsinks.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

Hi,

This is a super informative thread.

I am considering building a Server to run Euphony with Roon Core with the following hardware:

Motherboard: Asus B550M-A

Processor: AM Ryzen 7 3700x

PowerSupply: HDplex 200W. 19V for the MB through DC-ATX, 12V for the CPU and 12V for the HDD.

Does anyone use the same or similar MB/CPU config? I have been trying to find compatibility with ECC RAM for this combo but haven't been able to. If anyone can give me some insights on this, that would be very helpful.

Server | EMM | Dartzeel | Evolution Acoustics

A general rule of thumb is that unless the mobo has some sort of documentation stating support for ECC (or is made for server-class chips), the ECC function of the RAM will not work. You may (or may not) be able to use the ECC sticks you purchase on a motherboard that doesn’t support them, but they will run in non-ECC mode. This is my understanding, anyway.

3 hours ago, Nenon said:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x supports ECC (although not officially documented). 

Thank you. Any idea if the motherboard does too? I can't seem to find this information on their site.

Also, I need a 19V DC-ATX. Any recommendations for this?

On 2/10/2022 at 7:03 AM, Nenon said:

It looks like it does. 

My recommendation is the Taiko DC to DC ATX with an unregulated LPS... but I would feed it with more than 19V.

If that's above your budget, then Hdplex I guess. 

Hi,

ECC Ram worked with the MB/CPU combo. Thanks

I'm thinking of adding a PCI Card with Fiber Optic Ethernet. The MB has a PCIe x1 port that I can use. 

Does anyone know of a suitable card supported by Euphony?

6 hours ago, msb1 said:

Does anyone know of a suitable card supported by Euphony?

Solarflare NICs e. G. SFN8522, X2522 are the best I know.