IGNORED

HOLO Audio MAY DAC

11 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

That May in the review is running v1.30; mine is running v1.20. Does any one know what the difference is?

Maybe v1.30 is the reason why people are reporting no sound output with firmware 30.12 with AMD based PC and with 1.20 sound is output, maybe not 1.536 with amd but 768.  I have not seen any published description of the changelog from 1.2 to 1.3

11 hours ago, Extreme_Boky said:

That May in the review is running v1.30; mine is running v1.20. Does any one know what the difference is?

101894667_HoloMayL2-v1_20.thumb.jpg.6f864b552e573b2ac8186195cda834ef.jpg

1.2/1.3 is the hardware version not the USB firmware

11 hours ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

Thanks, I am on a AMD chipset so that would be it.

BTW how would I downgrade to 30.12?

Do I just run the holousbaudioDfu.exe file in the driver folder or do I have to uninstall something first?

30.12 isn't a downgrade it's technically an upgrade. 30.12 and 30.14 were released at the same time they're just different.

If you're on AMD then you'll need to stick with 30.14 and won't be able to use 1.536mhz.
30.12 caused problems with my AMD pc so I'd advise not trying to swap to it.

I'm using one of these as a roon and HQP NAA endpoint currently: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MeLE-J3355-PCG02-APL-64GB/dp/B08T6CT5VL
Not too pricey, intel, gigabit LAN, silent/fanless too. Works great. That will allow you to properly use 30.12 and 1.536mhz

8 hours ago, Roasty said:

Same thing I experienced with my amd pc. Its just not playing well with 30.12. Just use 30.14 and be content with 768 until Holo comes up with a fix. 

Unfortunately it's not something holo themselves can fix. The issue is apparently with the source chipset not the DAC.
I couldn't get 1.536mhz working on denafrips on my AMD pc either but was fine on intel.

There are some non-intel machines which work but it's very hit or miss.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

8 hours ago, Quadman said:

Maybe v1.30 is the reason why people are reporting no sound output with firmware 30.12 with AMD based PC and with 1.20 sound is output, maybe not 1.536 with amd but 768.  I have not seen any published description of the changelog from 1.2 to 1.3

I asked Jeff, 1.20 fixed a bug that some encountered where with a specific key-combination the screen would go dark
1.30 just slightly adjusted locking behaviour specifically between the PLL and AKM upsampling chip (no impact to sound or anything not involving the akm chip)

Just bug fixes, it won't impact USB, and you still won't get 30.12 working properly with AMD

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

18 hours ago, ThenewGearPPK said:

I re-flashed to 30.14 firmware & now everything works.
 But why absolutely no music with 30.12?

As mentioned earlier, if you have an AMD source you need to stick with 30.14
Only switch to 30.12 if you have an intel source

4 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

I asked Jeff, 1.20 fixed a bug that some encountered where with a specific key-combination the screen would go dark
1.30 just slightly adjusted locking behaviour specifically between the PLL and AKM upsampling chip (no impact to sound or anything not involving the akm chip)

Just bug fixes, it won't impact USB, and you still won't get 30.12 working properly with AMD

Thank you.

I was aware the USB FPGA firmware was not affected, but was slightly concerned about the rest of the FPGA IC's (PLL, PCM R2R, SDS R2R). I thought there was a firmware update related to R2R precision / low level linearity improvement....or something similar of equal or higher importance. 

I hope that 1.30 firmware only affects (improves) the PLL locking (minimizes time duration...?) related to AKM upsampling chip... and nothing else. 

4 hours ago, lpost said:

sorry I couldn’t resist. Mine is 1.20 as well.

It's a new firmware that affects everything else, other than USB FPGA (upsampling). 

You can go to Holo and suggest a different version control; maybe 1.20a -> 1.20b. See what they have to say.

sorry, I couldn't resist.

I have a workaround for people running their core on AMD machines.

installed Windows 10 on a NUC 

loaded 30,12 firmware

HQPlayer NAA running on the NUC

settings - PCM1.536 on HQPlayer core AMD machine

can confirm, 1.536/1.4112M works through a Windows machine as NAA.

12 minutes ago, Roasty said:

loaded 30,12 firmware

Nuc is an Intel device

1 hour ago, Roasty said:

loaded 30,12 firmware

I'm confused.  This is not a workaround, it's the way we've been telling folks since 30.12 came out...that you need an Intel USB for the May to be able to process 32fs.  A non-Intel USB has been known to work, but it's a crapshoot.  I, along with many others, use an Intel NAA, regardless of server type.

Geez.. 

I know u need an Intel pc for 30.12.

This is for folks whose hqplayer core is on a high powered amd machine. Which they can use to do upsampling to dsd with ec filters.

Unfortunately, they can't use 30.12 and hence can't go up to 1.536pcm. 

Then the workaround is get a cheap nuc/windows pc to use as an NAA, but still do all the heavy lifting with the amd core. 

This is my use case scenario. It is a workaround for me, rather than changing out my main machine for an Intel mobo and processor, which would cost a whole lot more than a cheap nuc. 

Quick update, almost on the 2nd week of listening.

I don't know what the rest are experiencing, but in my system, the May kte is Very sensitive to power chord changes and USB cables. I find using the May on an unfiltered power socket works the best.

The soundstage has gotten larger, particularly the height. Precision even better. Bass even tighter and more 'clean' weight. I'm starting to get deeply involved in the music playing. Low level listening has gotten very pleasing, MUCH more so than with the tt2. I could barely enjoy music at low volume using the tt2, with the May, it has a full, wonderful sound.

52 minutes ago, TA75 said:

Quick update, almost on the 2nd week of listening.

I don't know what the rest are experiencing, but in my system, the May kte is Very sensitive to power chord changes and USB cables. I find using the May on an unfiltered power socket works the best.

The soundstage has gotten larger, particularly the height. Precision even better. Bass even tighter and more 'clean' weight. I'm starting to get deeply involved in the music playing. Low level listening has gotten very pleasing, MUCH more so than with the tt2. I could barely enjoy music at low volume using the tt2, with the May, it has a full, wonderful sound.

I haven’t changed my power cords or Sablon Audio USB cable out I’m content with them I like the neutrality of the wire .

I did plug my May KTE dac in 4 different receptacles one being a every day standard household receptacle , a dedicated line to a Furutech receptacle, a popular Ac conditioner and a Furutech TP80 Ac distribution box in the bank of filtered receptacles and found the TP80 much to my liking by a fair margin over the others , I mentioned briefly the results in an above comment regarding rediscovering a famous RCA live recording .

I love what the May dac has brought to the table it is an exceptional component..

Same, I'm using the sablon 2020 USB and stock power cable.

I like the neutrality of the stock power cable vs. all the power cables I have on-hand.

I've had no interest in trying different USB cables since I got the Sablon, and I've tried a lot before it.

34 minutes ago, Hiker said:

I haven’t changed my power cords or Sablon Audio USB cable out I’m content with them I like the neutrality of the wire .

I did plug my May KTE dac in 4 different receptacles one being a every day standard household receptacle , a dedicated line to a Furutech receptacle, a popular Ac conditioner and a Furutech TP80 Ac distribution box in the bank of filtered receptacles and found the TP80 much to my liking by a fair margin over the others , I mentioned briefly the results in an above comment regarding rediscovering a famous RCA live recording .

I love what the May dac has brought to the table it is an exceptional component..

I have the same distribution box, TP80 and the Sablon 2020 USB. So far at least, I have prefer it plugged into the unfiltered side of the tp80. I'm comparing the sablon to my older diamond audioquest. So far I'm feeling the audioquest a little more.. A touch more brilliance in the top end. I'm still in the break in process, so all this might change. 

1 hour ago, TA75 said:

I have the same distribution box, TP80 and the Sablon 2020 USB. So far at least, I have prefer it plugged into the unfiltered side of the tp80. I'm comparing the sablon to my older diamond audioquest. So far I'm feeling the audioquest a little more.. A touch more brilliance in the top end. I'm still in the break in process, so all this might change. 

I made my own power cords a Helix configuration the recipe can be found on most any DYI site world wide , I like them very much , a friend stopped by with a USB cable he wanted me to try Net Work Acoustics brand anyway I’m not overly interested in switching USB cables will see if anything is surprisingly different,,.

F1F8BF54-8691-4B38-9CF1-9A46915469AB.jpeg

In case anyone was curious how the 1-bit converter in the may does (the may has a separate DAC entirely for DSD), the answer is pretty damn good....
image.thumb.png.95fd67ca572a2e8f9c5f385254f7ed9a.png

Harmonics are crazy low. This is just 44.1khz into the may with 'OS DSD' selected

7 hours ago, audio.bill said:

For anyone in the US who's purchased the KTE Holo DAC from Kitsune, is it shipped directly to you from Holo Audio? If so I'd be curious to know how much duty, taxes and related fees are typically assessed. TIA for sharing your experience.

I would like to know as well

21 hours ago, GoldenOne said:

Do you know if there is any firmware updates in the near future? where can you download these?

Just now, luisma said:

Do you know if there is any firmware updates in the near future? where can you download these?

I don't think so.
If you need to update USB firmware the download page on the kitsune site will have the latest one.

The DAC itself there isn't any updates.