IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

1 minute ago, Koso said:

Phoenix USB arrived today. Starting burn in. Will report my findings after one - two weeks. Also will do the comparison with another reclockers (Ideon 3R Master time and Denafrips Gaia). Stay tuned.

Excellent… this will be good to hear from another member. I did this comparison, Phoenix/3R, a while ago so I’m looking forward to your thoughts as well. I’m particularly interested with your comparison with the Gaia as this is one unit I almost pressed the button on recently. Can you give your thoughts on the 3R/Gaia please? Many thanks.

Amplifier: Feliks Envy (Performance Ed), Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated with Brimar CV4003, Singxer SA-1, Cayin C9 Portable Amp. DAC: Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, LampizatOr Amber 3 DAP: Fiio M17, Fiio M11 Plus Ltd SS, DX 300 MAX SS, DX 300 MAX Ti, Cayin N6ii + A02 Line out + E02 Source: Silent Angel M1T, Forrester LPS, N8 Network Switch, InnuOs Zenith MK3, Pioneer PD-S904 Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR,

Cables: Wave Storm Reference, Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary Speakers: Klipsch Forte III.

15 minutes ago, ConcreteCow said:

Excellent… this will be good to hear from another member. I did this comparison, Phoenix/3R, a while ago so I’m looking forward to your thoughts as well. I’m particularly interested with your comparison with the Gaia as this is one unit I almost pressed the button on recently. Can you give your thoughts on the 3R/Gaia please? Many thanks.

In my setup Gaia is best reclocker so far. To be honest I was little bit disappointed with 3R reclocker. It sounds good, but in my setup Gaia sounds better. 3R is very smooth sounding, adding sort of calmness to the sound, but maybe the result is too calm, too smooth. Bass is bigger, goes lower with 3R, but lacks control. Gaia has more balanced sound, smooth, but not too smooth, bass has less volume, but better controlled. Gaia adds more air, everything is more natural.

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

7 minutes ago, Koso said:

In my setup Gaia is best reclocker so far. To be honest I was little bit disappointed with 3R reclocker. It sounds good, but in my setup Gaia sounds better. 3R is very smooth sounding, adding sort of calmness to the sound, but maybe the result is too calm, too smooth. Bass is bigger, goes lower with 3R, but lacks control. Gaia has more balanced sound, smooth, but not too smooth, bass has less volume, but better controlled. Gaia adds more air, everything is more natural.

Thank you for your detailed reply. This is what I expected to hear really. So, which do you think, an AES/EBU XLR or Coax out of the Gaia in to the Chord DAVE? 

Amplifier: Feliks Envy (Performance Ed), Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated with Brimar CV4003, Singxer SA-1, Cayin C9 Portable Amp. DAC: Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, LampizatOr Amber 3 DAP: Fiio M17, Fiio M11 Plus Ltd SS, DX 300 MAX SS, DX 300 MAX Ti, Cayin N6ii + A02 Line out + E02 Source: Silent Angel M1T, Forrester LPS, N8 Network Switch, InnuOs Zenith MK3, Pioneer PD-S904 Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR,

Cables: Wave Storm Reference, Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary Speakers: Klipsch Forte III.

37 minutes ago, Koso said:

Phoenix USB arrived today. Starting burn in. Will report my findings after one - two weeks. Also will do the comparison with another reclockers (Ideon 3R Master time and Denafrips Gaia). Stay tuned.

Great news - I've also been hoping someone would do this!  Looking forward to it.

You must try daisy chaining DDC's as well!

2 minutes ago, ConcreteCow said:

Thank you for your detailed reply. This is what I expected to hear really. So, which do you think, an AES/EBU XLR or Coax out of the Gaia in to the Chord DAVE? 

AES/EBU out from Gaia is fantastic. In par with I2S. Coax is also good, but in my setup (and tested on three different DACs) AES/EBU is golden standard with Gaia. From my experience AES/EBU has another advantage, it is far less sensitive to cabling. Any decent AES XLR cable sound very good, no need to invest in expensive cable (as for example USB cable needs for good results).

Synergistic Research Powercell 12UEF > Innuos PhoenixNET > Aurender N100H > Innuos PhoenixUSB > Ferrum audio Wandla + Hypsos DAC > Simaudio Moon 600i / Gato Audio DIA400S > Dynaudio C1 speakers > Siltech, Shunyata & Stealth cabling

5 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

Great news - I've also been hoping someone would do this!  Looking forward to it.

You must try daisy chaining DDC's as well!

Planning to do so with Phoenix! I did this daisy chain: Aurender streamer - 3R Master time - Gaia. Resulting in almost the same sound as with Gaia alone. Small change was audible, almost negligible.

3 hours ago, Koso said:

Hi Koso,

Thank you for getting one of our PhoenixUSB reclockers. However, the PhoenixUSB is a bit different to the Denafrips Gaia. The Gaia is a DDC converting USB to other outputs. It works at the audio signal. The PhoenixUSB does not work at the audio signal level but rather at the USB protocol level. In fact, you can use the PhoenixUSB between your source and the Gaia and this should provide you with improved sound quality than the Gaia alone. Try both ways and let us know what you prefer.

Best,

Nuno

1 hour ago, nvitorino said:

Hi Koso,

Thank you for getting one of our PhoenixUSB reclockers. However, the PhoenixUSB is a bit different to the Denafrips Gaia. The Gaia is a DDC converting USB to other outputs. It works at the audio signal. The PhoenixUSB does not work at the audio signal level but rather at the USB protocol level. In fact, you can use the PhoenixUSB between your source and the Gaia and this should provide you with improved sound quality than the Gaia alone. Try both ways and let us know what you prefer.

Best,

Nuno

Thanks for comment. Of course, I do know difference between the two. It was bit simplified to compare pure USB reclocker and DDC with no usb output. But from what I have read in many reviews I do believe Phoenix is best USB reclocker for my needs, and ofcourse I will report my comparison and review here!

Has anyone tried aftermarket audiohile fuse in Phoenix? What is fuse rating for PhoenixUSB?

22 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Here you go

https://innuos.com/kb/replacing-the-fuse-on-innuos-products/

I would be interested in your feedback on whether replacing the fuse brought a significant improvement in SQ. Please pay special attention to Pace, Rhythm and Timing. (PR&T)  as this seems to be a sensitive area when it comes to different fuses. 

Thanks! I do have experience with aftermarket fuses, especially HIFI Tuning and Synergistic research. Most fuses in my setup are RS Orange right now. Problem is taht in each device it has different magnitude of impact. Biggest sound improvement was SR Orange in my Moon 600i amp...

Anyway, going to purchase SR Orange or maybe Purple soon (not decided yet which one).

-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 10:15 PM, Koso said:

Just installed SR Purple fuse and brand new Shunyata Alpha USB cable (right now Alpha is on input and Stealth USB cable on output side, will try swap them too). Will report my findings in few weeks after cable, fuse and PhoenixUSB itself will be burned in.

Do you have a new thing you would like to say?

2 hours ago, beautiful music said:

Do you have a new thing you would like to say?

Yes, few things. First of all, adding SR Purple fuse was immediate sound improvement. I can only recommend this fuse, especially for digital devices. And mentioned usb cables are great also. Especially Stealth usb cables are great. After many swaps and tests I ended by initial setup - Shunyata Alpha on input and Stealth on output side of Phoenix.

58 minutes ago, Koso said:

Yes, few things. First of all, adding SR Purple fuse was immediate sound improvement. I can only recommend this fuse, especially for digital devices. And mentioned usb cables are great also. Especially Stealth usb cables are great. After many swaps and tests I ended by initial setup - Shunyata Alpha on input and Stealth on output side of Phoenix.

So are you end up letting Gaia go or am I missing thing?

• 7 months later...

@Koso did you happen to test Phoenix USB with Gaia afterwards? I have Phoenix USB and afterwards a small but stylish USB->TosLink converter, so i am thinking about putting Gaia there instead to do the job.

Also are you keeping/recommending the SR Purple fuse in Phoenix?

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL