IGNORED

Innuos PhoenixUSB

FredM

12 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

Got my Phoenix today. And it clearly adds some magic. I got the same feeling as when I added the MScaler to the DAVE. Difficult to describe the sound. Maybe my recordings sound more "binaural". I am diving deeper into the music. Everything opens up a lot more. Out of the box without any burn in. Working fine with my two Lush^2.

Edgerouter > Sablon > Ether Regen> Sablon > Zenith 2 SE > Lush^2 > Phoenix > Lush^2 > MScaler > Sablon BNC > DAVE > Verite, Hifiman 1000SE, Omega Alnico

Hey Ralf,

Hope you're well.

Delighted to be on the same leg of the journey with you again 😁

Totally agree. The Phoenix is special but it's hard to describe exactly what it contributes. Magic is a decent term.

Meantime at the very real risk of going OT. How are the Sablon BNCs in your signature? I currently have Cerious technologies graphene XLRs but removed my PreAmp. And am now going DAC direct to Power amps and am looking suspiciously at my XLRs and wondering about the Phasure XLRs, the Sablons or ??

Will look forward to your listening impressions after the Phoenix has settled in.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

yellowblue,

Congratulations! Thank you for letting us know your very first thoughts of the Phoenix. I'm sure it will get even better as time goes on. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts later down the line.

Glad to hear it's working fine with your Lush^2 cables as my Lush^2 is arriving tomorrow. I would like to put in some hours listening with it before I introduce the Phoenix to the chain. 

Happy listening! 🔊 🎶

Amplifier: Feliks Envy (Performance Ed), Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated with Brimar CV4003, Singxer SA-1, Cayin C9 Portable Amp. DAC: Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, LampizatOr Amber 3 DAP: Fiio M17, Fiio M11 Plus Ltd SS, DX 300 MAX SS, DX 300 MAX Ti, Cayin N6ii + A02 Line out + E02 Source: Silent Angel M1T, Forrester LPS, N8 Network Switch, InnuOs Zenith MK3, Pioneer PD-S904 Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR,

Cables: Wave Storm Reference, Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary Speakers: Klipsch Forte III.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Much as I love the Lush^2, there is indeed a "next level" for USB cables, and the Sablon 2020 is my favorite.

What’s the retail price on the Sablon 2020?  That would be my top choice for the extra USB cable I’d need if I purchased a Phoenix.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

12 minutes ago, kennyb123 said:

What’s the retail price on the Sablon 2020?  That would be my top choice for the extra USB cable I’d need if I purchased a Phoenix.

Hi Ken,

I believe it is $750 for the regular cable, which is 1.2m, and $650 for the “unpowered” version with no VBUS, which is 1m (or is it 0.8m?)

At least for me, I needed regular cables on both legs.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

Hey Alan,

Going even further OT — I didn't put this in my review, but I had the Phoenix when I was transitioning from Lush^2 to Sablon 2020 USB, so I did compare:

• SE > Lush^2 > Phoenix > Lush^2 > HMS ... with
  • SE > Sablon 2020 USB > Phoenix > Sablon 2020 USB > HMS.

Much as I love the Lush^2, there is indeed a "next level" for USB cables, and the Sablon 2020 is my favorite.

I know how eager you are to spend even more ££ on cables. 😎

Hi Rajiv,

Since we're all OT 🙄

Yeah I already bought a Sablon 2020 thanks/curses to Ray/Roy/yourself 😉

and your comments over at WBF.

I don't suppose you tried:

SE > Lush^2 > Phoenix > 2020 > HMS ?

I'm wondering whether its possible to get best of both worlds and blend the musicality/smear of Peter's Lush with the transparency/detail of Mark's Sablon 2020. Obviously it's possible to blend but does it blend well or defeat the purpose. Planning to try this myself but just wondering if you tinkered with the same?

Meantime @yellowblue Sablon BNC caught my eyes as not many reports out there on Sablon cables other than USB, LAN or power 🔌 cords.

And funnily enough someone else on here got me thinking in a PM by saying Peters XLR^2 is "his best cable yet"

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

So 2020 did pair well with Lush^2, but a 2nd 2020 was better still.

Thanks for the feedback.

I might try anyway because I'd really be comparing the Sablon Reserva that currently feeds my Phoenix with the Lush^2. So perhaps a fairer fight or at least closer.

Not really thinking of a second USB 2020 at this point but not foolish enough to rule it out either 😎

Mark Coles was telling me that the 2020 LAN cable is really something too. More tempted there currently (rightly or wrongly) than a second USB 2020.

1 hour ago, TheAttorney said:

I've found a UK dealer that stocks Innuous, Taiko and Grimm. So I should be able to compare the Mini vs Statement vs MU1 to find my preferred super server. And then compare that to the much cheaper solution of just getting the Phoenix. My overall objective is to KISS and Ditch-The-Spaghetti, so ultimate SQ is not the only consideration, so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out.

Sounds like a great mission and comparison to undertake. Will be fascinated to hear how that plays out. Quite a line up or should that be supergroup of servers. You should make the Travelling Wilburys part of your test tracks 😉

Cheers,

Alan

19 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

Hey Ralf,

How are the Sablon BNCs in your signature?

I only could compare these to the Oyaide-cables I had before (with ferrites). And they are better by quiete a big margin. Not dark sounding (I found the Wave cables too expensive and didn´t want my chain to sound darker). Sorry, this comparison might not help you. 

6 minutes ago, yellowblue said:

I only could compare these to the Oyaide-cables I had before (with ferrites). And they are better by quiete a big margin. Not dark sounding (I found the Wave cables too expensive and didn´t want my chain to sound darker). Sorry, this comparison might not help you. 

Thanks,

Yeah understood. And also at the end of the day I was asking about BNCs to try and assess XLRs. Not exactly a reasonable quest to start with.

I'm tempted by both Phasure and Sablon for the XLRs but loads of people know their respective USB cables, but not so much the others such as XLRs. Either need to make an educated guess or just park it as not convinced there is anything whatsoever lacking in my current XLRs. Just that dreaded what-if question 🙄

Appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,

Alan

23 hours ago, TheAttorney said:

Amazingly, I've found a UK dealer that stocks Innuous, Taiko and Grimm. So I should be able to compare the Mini vs Statement vs MU1 to find my preferred super server. And then compare that to the much cheaper solution of just getting the Phoenix. My overall objective is to KISS and Ditch-The-Spaghetti, so ultimate SQ is not the only consideration, so it will be interesting to see how this all turns out. Will probably take several months...

Looking expectantly to this comparison, by the way are you able now to make a comparison between MU1 and Statement?

2 hours ago, beautiful music said:

by the way are you able now to make a comparison between MU1 and Statement?

I haven't tried for 2 reasons: The dealer is a 2.5 hour drive each way. And I've self-imposed an upgrade lock-down for a while and just enjoy listening to music without endless burn-in cycles etc.

So I'll wait until the Mini becomes available (which seems to be months away) and do it all in one go - and hopefully bring back the chosen one or two for a home loan. I do hope I'll like the MU1 a lot because it seems to be the smallest and lightest of the 3, as well as the lowest cost (with proviso that the Mini specification is just guesswork at the moment).

The main downside of the Phoenix for me is its size - should I choose that route. I can hide my IR in the spaghetti behind the main components, but the Phoenix is yet another main component, so it will have to give a substantial SQ improvement over the IR to justify swapping over.

On 7/2/2020 at 6:47 PM, austinpop said:

Hey Alan,

Going even further OT — I didn't put this in my review, but I had the Phoenix when I was transitioning from Lush^2 to Sablon 2020 USB, so I did compare:

• SE > Lush^2 > Phoenix > Lush^2 > HMS ... with
  • SE > Sablon 2020 USB > Phoenix > Sablon 2020 USB > HMS.

I know how eager you are to spend even more ££ on cables. 😎

I’m getting close to making my Phoenix purchase. I have several USB cables on the short list, one being the Danacable True Steam and the other being the Sablon 2020.  The Phoenix will add another power cord and USB cable.    I’m reluctant to get a powered USB cable more mess (as you call it, spaghetti). Is sonic improvement of the active version of the  Sablon 2020 worth dealing with another AC plug ? Maybe a better question would be, would the passive version be your first choice if the active wasn’t available?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

11 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

I’m reluctant to get a powered USB cable more mess (as you call it, spaghetti). Is sonic improvement of the active version of the  Sablon 2020 worth dealing with another AC plug ? Maybe a better question would be, would the passive version be your first choice if the active wasn’t available?

That will depend on whether your DAC require the 5V from USB to make the handshake or not.  Most of the DACs do require having 5V be present to work, and this is not the same where USB cable needs to plug into an AC receptacle via an AC plug.

17 minutes ago, elan120 said:

That will depend on whether your DAC require the 5V from USB to make the handshake or not.  Most of the DACs do require having 5V be present to work, and this is not the same where USB cable needs to plug into an AC receptacle via an AC plug.

Ok, got it,  I thought it was an active shielding

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Synergistic Research Switch>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos Pulsar> Sablon EVO USB cable>Innuos Phoenix>Sablon EVO USB cable>T+A DAC 2000 >Enleum AMP-23r>Audience SX speaker cables>Raidho X1t or HiFiMan HE-1000se headphones. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner.

6 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Ok, got it,  I thought it was an active shielding

No, it’s just whether the cable can pass that 5v. For the DACs that don’t require it, there should be an advantage to not carrying that signal.  I suspect the Phoenix minimizes the harm.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 6/10/2020 at 1:04 AM, thyname said:

In all honesty... speaking as a Statement owner and a previous Zenith MK3 owner.... add a PhoenixUSB to a ZENith MK3, and you are all set!

Innuos is an outstanding company with extremely innovative products 

On 6/10/2020 at 1:04 AM, thyname said:

In all honesty... speaking as a Statement owner and a previous Zenith MK3 owner.... add a PhoenixUSB to a ZENith MK3, and you are all set!

Innuos is an outstanding company with extremely innovative products 

This is my findings with ZENITH Mk3

Not really worth it !

Phoenix reclocker on the other hand is

great !

2 hours ago, PGAUDIO said:

This is my findings with ZENITH Mk3

Not really worth it !

Phoenix reclocker on the other hand is

great !

Does that mean a Zenith MK3 on its own is not worth it unless a Phoenix is attached?

Amplifier: Feliks Envy (Performance Ed), Primaluna EVO 400 Integrated with Brimar CV4003, Singxer SA-1, Cayin C9 Portable Amp. DAC: Chord DAVE, Chord MScaler, LampizatOr Amber 3 DAP: Fiio M17, Fiio M11 Plus Ltd SS, DX 300 MAX SS, DX 300 MAX Ti, Cayin N6ii + A02 Line out + E02 Source: Silent Angel M1T, Forrester LPS, N8 Network Switch, InnuOs Zenith MK3, Pioneer PD-S904 Analogue: Rega Planar 2 > Rega Fono MM MK3, Pioneer CT-W806DR,

Cables: Wave Storm Reference, Phasure Lush ^2, AQ Coffee, AQ Ruby, Cable Talk 2, QED Silver Anniversary Speakers: Klipsch Forte III.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but this is probably close. I do not use Roon with my Zenith, I only use iPeng. On my iPad display for iPeng the volume control (bottom right side) is fully down and not adjustable, it cannot be raised . On every server and associated GUI the volume controls had to be fully up for the highest resolution. What am I missing here. 

5 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but this is probably close. I do not use Roon with my Zenith, I only use iPeng. On my iPad display for iPeng the volume control (bottom right side) is fully down and not adjustable, it cannot be raised . On every server and associated GUI the volume controls had to be fully up for the highest resolution. What am I missing here. 

Open iPeng and click Settings, Player Settings, Audio, Volume Adjustment then select what you want. If you use a preamp volume control select ‘Fixed Volume 100%’ 

15 hours ago, Vangelis said:

Not sure if this is the correct venue for this question, but this is probably close.

ReClockers do not affect volume. I see you got a far more accommodating reply but no, it probably wasn't close.