IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

Hello Tintinabalum

I understand that you find Shanti and Usbridge and Digione Sig  as being disappointing in your system .

As we take pride in taking care of our customers you have all rights to return the products in the normal time frame. Please contact our CS with order numbers .

3 hours ago, nbpf said:

This is by no means clear to me: if the Mutec (or any other device) makes an accurate conversion of the USB stream provided by the USBridge Sig, one will get the full benefits of the clean USB stream provided by the USBridge Sig. Why not? 

Your statement becomes logically correct only if one assumes that there exists no device that can produce a SPDIF stream as accurate as the USB stream produced by the USBridge Sig. Even if the USBridge Sig is exceptionally good, this seems a rather unrealistic assumption.

"Accurate conversion of the USB stream ..."

There is no conversion , its just the protocol that changes . As I said...its a digital stream .

I have no issue to debate ideas , but this is pseudo logic .

5 hours ago, rossco said:

Thanks - the DAC will do up to DSD 256 in theory. I have already downloaded and using DietPi_v6.18_41492_RPi-ARMv7-Stretch_AlloGUI which I think has the 4.14 kernel.

I will wait to see what the tech support comes back with. Thank you for your help.

see post 913 here

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-92.html#post5963277

Its what I did, helped another guy too.  The other guy said it was the config.sys changes that fixed it for him.

I'd be curious if it makes a difference for you.

15 hours ago, nbpf said:

Why so? So far there has been no real discussion, just a few scattered remarks. If you have opinions or first hand experiences to share, please do so!

Hi sorry yes I do not on discussions what is better or what is a problem :)

I have learned in the 40 years that everybody have a other taste.., or hear it differents. 

My favorite in cables is nbs... I have so many cables Listened....  👂

Same is to audio installation... I look not more to test or what is the best... 

Oooh listen to your own taste and music 🎶 🎻

That is the same with ayre /Boulder  and it can so much cheaper... Only it is your own ..Decision 😇 

Awww listen to  your own taste and what you can hear .. Or wat  your  want to spend :)

I love music 🥳🎶🎻

6 hours ago, reelben said:

Hi sorry yes I do not on discussions what is better or what is a problem :)

I have learned in the 40 years that everybody have a other taste.., or hear it differents. 

My favorite in cables is nbs... I have so many cables Listened....  👂

Same is to audio installation... I look not more to test or what is the best... 

Oooh listen to your own taste and music 🎶 🎻

That is the same with ayre /Boulder  and it can so much cheaper... Only it is your own ..Decision 😇 

Awww listen to  your own taste and what you can hear .. Or wat  your  want to spend :)

I love music 🥳🎶🎻

I see thanks! I thought you might have done some comparisons of the devices we were talking about but did not feel like sharing your findings ... Never mind! Of course we all hear differently, have different systems and tastes, etc. Still, I have not time to (and I am not particularly interested in) trying out all possible combinations myself and thus, when considering my options, I have to rely on the findings of others. The Allo DigiOne Signature (this is what I am currently using) and USBridge Sig, the Mutec, the Shiit Eitr and (not already tried) the Pink Faun cards are all great devices and the I am grateful for any feedback, especially when this entails careful comparisons!

10 hours ago, allo.com said:

There is no conversion , its just the protocol that changes . As I said...its a digital stream . 

Exactly: thus, if the Mutec (or any other device) makes an accurate protocol change of the USB stream provided by the USBridge Sig, one will get the full benefits of the clean USB stream provided by the USBridge Sig. What is the problem with this argument? 

Hi Rossco

if 4.14 solves the issues (or most of them) it means that your DAC is not DSD native (Linux) or that driver was not optimized/tested with Linux

The above(config.sys) solution  worked on 2 systems so far . One by randysuch that is fairly a DIY solution based on Xmos IC from diyinhk website and second was for a Matrix DAC (that apparently has some bugs on Xmos based on threads from Roon community forums)

Give it a try it might work in your system .

3 hours ago, allo.com said:

Hi Rossco

if 4.14 solves the issues (or most of them) it means that your DAC is not DSD native (Linux) or that driver was not optimized/tested with Linux

The above(config.sys) solution  worked on 2 systems so far . One by randysuch that is fairly a DIY solution based on Xmos IC from diyinhk website and second was for a Matrix DAC (that apparently has some bugs on Xmos based on threads from Roon community forums)

Give it a try it might work in your system .

FWIW, the common theme seems to be using a usbridge sig with hqplayer to upsample to dsd256.  But there might be many others that do the same with no problem.

If it doesn't work, you can just go back and edit config.txt and remove the two additional lines

I also have no technical reason this change should do anything.  The pi should increase its clock rate as load increases without the change.  But my clicks go away when I made the change.

7 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

FWIW, the common theme seems to be using a usbridge sig with hqplayer to upsample to dsd256.  But there might be many others that do the same with no problem.

If it doesn't work, you can just go back and edit config.txt and remove the two additional lines

I also have no technical reason this change should do anything.  The pi should increase its clock rate as load increases without the change.  But my clicks go away when I made the change.

As far as I can remember, setting the CPU frequency to a fixed value is one of the most basic steps in configuring a dedicated audio device. I do that on all my servers and renderers. Additionally, on the RPi that hosts my DigiOne Signature, I switch off Bluetooth, HDMI, internal audio and USB bus and I set the GPU memory to a very low level (gpu_mem=16). I would expect DietPi to set the frequency of the CPU to a fixed level but your post suggests that this is not the case. Perhaps you could also check that HDMI is disabled if you do not need it. 

On 11/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, randytsuch said:

see post 913 here

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendor-s-bazaar/337859-shanti-dual-lps-5v-3a-5v-1-5a-92.html#post5963277

Its what I did, helped another guy too.  The other guy said it was the config.sys changes that fixed it for him.

I'd be curious if it makes a difference for you.

Hi @randytsuch - Can I ask what DAC you were using, and can you confirm you were you using HQ Player?

I am just doing some tests answering some queries from Allo. I was using HQ player, however once disabling it as an endpoint and enabling straight Roon, I am not sure I could hear pops/crackles, even if I upscale to DSD 256. I am not sure what that means yet, is it an issue with the NAA provided on Dietpi?? I want HQ Player to work, as I also use it for room correction.

I haven't actually done the suggestion in post 913 yet, as I am waiting to see where Allo go first.

1 hour ago, rossco said:

Hi @randytsuch - Can I ask what DAC you were using, and can you confirm you were you using HQ Player?

I am just doing some tests answering some queries from Allo. I was using HQ player, however once disabling it as an endpoint and enabling straight Roon, I am not sure I could hear pops/crackles, even if I upscale to DSD 256. I am not sure what that means yet, is it an issue with the NAA provided on Dietpi?? I want HQ Player to work, as I also use it for room correction.

I haven't actually done the suggestion in post 913 yet, as I am waiting to see where Allo go first.

I'm using hqplayer

As allo said, its pretty much a diy dac based on boards that ian canada at diyaudio sells.  I'm using the diyinhk usb converter

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/156-xmos-dsd-dxd-768khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

based on the xmos chip, so that's likely what matters here.

6 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

I'm using hqplayer

As allo said, its pretty much a diy dac based on boards that ian canada at diyaudio sells.  I'm using the diyinhk usb converter

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/156-xmos-dsd-dxd-768khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2sdsd-pcb.html

based on the xmos chip, so that's likely what matters here.

Thanks for coming back. I have a Mytek Liberty DAC and I think this may have an xmos chip. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be a problem with the same kit directly using Roon, even when upscaling to 256.

Greetings @allo.com and fellow music lovers,

I have recently come across the Allo USBridge Signature and am very interested (excited) about the potential - I have been aware of the Sonore and SOtM products for some time and was suggested the original Allo USB Bridge as an alternative (on the SlimDevices forum). I was hoping someone (@allo.com☺️) could clarify a few points for me/answer a few questions (and apologies if this turns into a long post - it's not intentional 😀).

Background: By way of a lead in to my questions my current primary hi-fi set up is a home built silent VortexBox LMS with SOtM tX-USB card (mounted in my hi-fi rack) feeding (via USB & SqueezeLite SW Player) into a Darbee Cirrus CS4382A 24bit DAC in my Oppo BDP-105D (this then outputs (balanced) analogue to a Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000 AVC connected to two Focal SM9 studio monitors mounted on custom stands). I also have a Logitech Squeezebox Touch (on Wi-Fi) with small powered Focal bookshelf speakers in another part of the house as a secondary zone, and also run iPeng on iPhones and iPads for player control & library browsing, but also to make them into portable players for connected headphones (via iPeng). At this point I am in the process of replacing my VortexBox server with the QNAP HS-453DX-8G Silent NAS on which I plan on running QLogitechMediaServer, in the hi-fi rack, and the intention is to get a separate hardware player (to run SqueezeLite) to also place in the rack to provide the audiophile quality USB connection to the Oppo - the QNAP and Hardware Player will be connected on the same gigabit switch locally in the hi-fi rack with minimal other connections (to maximise the Ethernet responsiveness).

So I am now looking at buying the USBridge Signature plug-n-play bundle with Diet Pi + Allo GUI O/S and the Shanti LPSU to achieve the new 'configuration'. My questions are please:

1. My understanding is the USBridge Signature (hardware) and SqueezeLite SW Player (included in Diet Pi + Allo GUI) will fully support DSD playback up to possibly DSD1024 (FYI: currently I only have DSD64 and DSD128 files in my library as the Oppo DAC doesn't officially support anything higher) - can you confirm the DSD support by HW & SW please?
  2. Are there any constraints with the SqueezeLite SW Player in other ways (e.g. no issues with compatibility with LMS latest versions) - is it customised and updates come from Diet Pi or is it sourced from main LMS support (e.g. the nightly update packages from LMS)?
  3. I presume the auxiliary USBs provide power - is there any benefit in splitting data and power on the USB cable (or are these on what you call the 'dirty side' of the power distribution)? e.g. I have two custom-made shielded USB cables, both terminate in USB B ports at the DAC end, but one has standard single USB A plug (carrying power & data) for the input and the second has two Type A plugs (separating power and data feeds - so you can draw power for the cable from a USB port on a completely different port/bus on the source from that supplying the data), the latter built for an older set-up I had before the dedicated tX SOtM USB card/port. Actually probably 2 questions here:
    • Is there any benefit in drawing the cables power from the auxiliary Wi-Fi/BT USB ports, or is that simply counterproductive given the dedicated bus and 'clean' power on the USBridge Signature's clean audio USB port?
    • And if the USB cable is running from the USBridge Signature 'clean' audio USB port into a powered DAC (such as my Oppo Darbee Cirrus) is there any need to have the power feed in the cable active at all (I'm not an expert on USB so not sure if power alongside data is a default requirement for the cable to work)?
  4. Lastly (I think) I assume the Shanti LPSU will also be ideal for powering my Squeezebox Touch (as I am contemplating ordering a second one in my shipment for this purpose)?

P.S. As an aside does this forum support Tappatalk?

Many TIA.

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS; Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS; Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D); Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000; Focal SM9 Monitors.
Hi-Fi 2: Squeezebox Touch+Shanti LPS; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Hi-Fi 3: Squeezebox Transporter; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Hi-Fi 4: PC+Squeezelite-X with Material Skin; Focal XS Book powered speakers.
Head-Fi: Plantronics BackBeat Pro 2 LE Headphones.
Accessories: iPeng (on iPhones & iPad); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Thor PS10 Power Station; Aurios & Vibrapods.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

We used to support Tapatalk, but not any longer. It's a long story.

We'll be publishing a review of the Allo USBridge Sig within the next week or so.

Oh Dear... 🙄 🤨

Look forward to reading - just reading the other early adopter feedback from links posted earlier in this thread.

Hi-Fi 1: QNAP HS-453DX NAS+QLMS; Allo USBridge Signature+Shanti LPS; Cirrus ESS Sabre 32-bit Reference DAC (Oppo 105D); Yamaha Aventage CX-A5000; Focal SM9 Monitors.
Accessories: iPeng (on iPhones & iPad); Tchernov Classic & Van den Hul ICs; Blue Jeans & Ruleconnect Cables (Power, HDMI, USB & Coaxial); Thor PS10 Power Station; Aurios & Vibrapods.

3 hours ago, Mycenius said:

My questions are please:

1. My understanding is the USBridge Signature (hardware) and SqueezeLite SW Player (included in Diet Pi + Allo GUI) will fully support DSD playback up to possibly DSD1024 (FYI: currently I only have DSD64 and DSD128 files in my library as the Oppo DAC doesn't officially support anything higher) - can you confirm the DSD support by HW & SW please?
  2. Are there any constraints with the SqueezeLite SW Player in other ways (e.g. no issues with compatibility with LMS latest versions) - is it customised and updates come from Diet Pi or is it sourced from main LMS support (e.g. the nightly update packages from LMS)?
  3. I presume the auxiliary USBs provide power - is there any benefit in splitting data and power on the USB cable (or are these on what you call the 'dirty side' of the power distribution)? e.g. I have two custom-made shielded USB cables, both terminate in USB B ports at the DAC end, but one has standard single USB A plug (carrying power & data) for the input and the second has two Type A plugs (separating power and data feeds - so you can draw power for the cable from a USB port on a completely different port/bus on the source from that supplying the data), the latter built for an older set-up I had before the dedicated tX SOtM USB card/port. Actually probably 2 questions here:
    • Is there any benefit in drawing the cables power from the auxiliary Wi-Fi/BT USB ports, or is that simply counterproductive given the dedicated bus and 'clean' power on the USBridge Signature's clean audio USB port?
    • And if the USB cable is running from the USBridge Signature 'clean' audio USB port into a powered DAC (such as my Oppo Darbee Cirrus) is there any need to have the power feed in the cable active at all (I'm not an expert on USB so not sure if power alongside data is a default requirement for the cable to work)?
  4. Lastly (I think) I assume the Shanti LPSU will also be ideal for powering my Squeezebox Touch (as I am contemplating ordering a second one in my shipment for this purpose)?

Oh, and one more:

5. Any concerns or risks with having the USBridge Signature 'permanently on'?