IGNORED

ALLO USBridge Signature

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Yes

Yes

Yes...but IFI is not the best SMPS. Lots of leakage current .

Yes Amanero is DSD native on Linux

Welcome

FYI, Singxer is xmos not amamero.

I have one of these from diyinhk

https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/58-xmos-dsd-dxd-384khz-high-quality-usb-to-i2s-pcb.html

Works fine with sig.  Had to load the latest version of dietpi to fix a clicking problem.  You can download from allo and burn to microsd card.  I think tweaking the pi clock speeds helped the clicking a little, but away from home for a while so I can't go play with my system to confirm.  

I mostly am playing at dsd256.  Didn't hear any clicking at dsd128.

I'm running as a NAA, but not with Roon.  I don't expect that this would make a difference. 

1 hour ago, allo.com said:

Yes...but IFI is not the best SMPS. Lots of leakage current .

I have had very good success with these in my system. There are a few people who have done measurements on them and they test better than many LPSs and very close to straight alkaline batteries. Do you have a recommendation for something better that will not break the bank? How does it compare to the smps you sell? I am interest in your LPS, but perhaps at a later date.

1 hour ago, JTS said:

@clipper. Thanks for your confirmation. I'm using the SU1 to go to a Holo Spring. This is very helpful.

You're welcome.  My SU-1 is going to a Holo Spring too.

About what allo.com said concerning the iFi power supplies: I agree.  

I think that Allo's Shanti power supply is excellent, and I highly recommend it.  With the Digione Signature and now the USBridge Signature, I prefer it over some "more expensive" 5v supplies. 

15 hours ago, allo.com said:

Senior God

we are talking about 2 things .

First , we have a driver for Asix ethernet IC that we submitted (above link) to Rasbian . Unfortunately , Rasbian says that we have to submit upstream. Problem is that Asix behaves somehow diffrently with Linux x86 then it does with Linux ARM. So Asix company did make a new driver but they are not ready to submit upstream .

So we did the next best thing. We spoke to all players (Moode, Ropiee , DietPi , Max2play , PCP etc) and simply they updated the Axis driver direct in the players .

It has NOTHING to do with kernel..

We will discuss with Asix and hopefully they will submit the updated driver upstream (but it depends on them)

The second issue , is that kernel 4.19 has an issue with DACs (rpi3) that have Linux non native DSD. Rasbian is working on that and it will be fixed , rather soon . So on next kernel release , it should be fixed.

Like I said , 2 issues . One is the driver that Axis and Rasbian seem to throw the ball to each other (and we try to mediate) , and Kernel thats purely an issue with Rasbian (and we are waiting for the fix)

Please feel free to comment on the thread https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3204

So USBridge Sig will give you the latest kernels (unlike Sparky)

Does that mean that when the Raspberry pi foundation updates the kernel, and moOde incorporates that kernel into its latest version, I'll be able to use that latest version and take advantage of the latest drivers for ethernet (Asix) and WiFi (Comfast)? But until then I'll just have to use moOde version 5.0?

i5 7600 fanless pc running Ubuntu 22.04 and HQPlayer Desktop > Cisco switch > 10Gtek fibre network > Raspberry Pi4 HQPlayerNAA > IFi purifier 3 > SRC-DX > Chord Qutest > Jotunheim 2 preamplifier > Ncore monoblocks > KEF R5 speakers.

11 hours ago, nbpf said:

Given the difference between 1.2A and 0.3A, a bit of repetition is at place, in my view: higher energy consumptions potentially imply more electromagnetic interference. Thus, I am not happy with a design that require a (relatively) high energy consumption just to support a wireless connection. As the design of the RPi3 demonstrates, there are more energy effective ways to do so. That said, it is perfectly conceivable that Allo have very good reasons to support (non audio dedicated) USB, HDMI and wired Ethernet but not WiFi. In this case, they have here a very good opportunity to explain their design choices and make the USBridge Sig more appealing to perspective buyers. 

Again NFB thats your view. Power consumption has nothing to do with EMI.

Sorry but I dont have the time to argue with you our design choices .

You are welcome to buy (or not to buy) our USbridge Sig or you can buy a competing product.

7 hours ago, blueninjasix said:

Does that mean that when the Raspberry pi foundation updates the kernel, and moOde incorporates that kernel into its latest version, I'll be able to use that latest version and take advantage of the latest drivers for ethernet (Asix) and WiFi (Comfast)? But until then I'll just have to use moOde version 5.0?

yes correct  (if you have a DAC that non native  DSD on Linux ).

I am using a CISCO 2960 switch (I found a SQ uplift for whatever reason). This works absolutely fine with USBridge (& DigiOne etc) but for some reason USBridge Sig won't "talk" to the switch with anything other than Redbook files and even then inconsistently. I like the SQ improvement of the 2960 and I'm loathe to give it up, any suggestions anyone?

40 minutes ago, Tintinabulum said:

I am using a CISCO 2960 switch (I found a SQ uplift for whatever reason). This works absolutely fine with USBridge (& DigiOne etc) but for some reason USBridge Sig won't "talk" to the switch with anything other than Redbook files and even then inconsistently. I like the SQ improvement of the 2960 and I'm loathe to give it up, any suggestions anyone?

Despite our best efforts , it seems that this particular unit has an issue on network with USBridge Sig . We did try to get an unit to see where the incompatibility happens but due to the fact that Cisco 2960 was build in 2001 to 2005 we are unable to do so.

Thats the only switch we have an issue with in hundreds of models on field and at least one dozen tested in the office  setup.

6 minutes ago, naum said:

Can someone help me.
I have easy question.
If I buy USBSig with eMMC card and Volumio, can I try Moode or DietPi on microSd card? 
Also, is there any instructions on how to change the OS on emmc?
Thank you

I would expect that one can use any OS that runs on the RPi3 compute module but Allo will understandably offer support only for certain OSs. I use Raspbian in all my RPi systems as I tend to dislike the user interfaces of Volumio, DietPi etc.  

12 hours ago, JTS said:

I have had very good success with these in my system. There are a few people who have done measurements on them and they test better than many LPSs and very close to straight alkaline batteries. Do you have a recommendation for something better that will not break the bank? How does it compare to the smps you sell? I am interest in your LPS, but perhaps at a later date.

No they are not close to batteries.

Noise is not only differential (what IFI is rather good at) but also common mode and leakage. In terms of leakage , IFI is rather bad , but its  because of the architecture not a design fault .

At this point we have no alternative...but we are working on a ALLO solution

20 minutes ago, naum said:

Can someone help me.
I have easy question.
If I buy USBSig with eMMC card and Volumio, can I try Moode or DietPi on microSd card? 
Also, is there any instructions on how to change the OS on emmc?
Thank you

eMMC should work exacly like a SD card (adaptor SD included)

...however we have found that it works on only 80-90% on all SD card readers writer

The main advantage of eMMC is that we experience by far less corruption etc. (compared with SD)

You can write any OS on SD/eMMC same way (check again the compatibility above)

On 10/30/2019 at 10:23 AM, allo.com said:

Senior God

we are talking about 2 things .

First , we have a driver for Asix ethernet IC that we submitted (above link) to Rasbian . Unfortunately , Rasbian says that we have to submit upstream. Problem is that Asix behaves somehow diffrently with Linux x86 then it does with Linux ARM. So Asix company did make a new driver but they are not ready to submit upstream .

So we did the next best thing. We spoke to all players (Moode, Ropiee , DietPi , Max2play , PCP etc) and simply they updated the Axis driver direct in the players .

It has NOTHING to do with kernel..

We will discuss with Asix and hopefully they will submit the updated driver upstream (but it depends on them)

The second issue , is that kernel 4.19 has an issue with DACs (rpi3) that have Linux non native DSD. Rasbian is working on that and it will be fixed , rather soon . So on next kernel release , it should be fixed.

Like I said , 2 issues . One is the driver that Axis and Rasbian seem to throw the ball to each other (and we try to mediate) , and Kernel thats purely an issue with Rasbian (and we are waiting for the fix)

Please feel free to comment on the thread https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3204

So USBridge Sig will give you the latest kernels (unlike Sparky)

Thank you for clarification.

What is importent to me is simple:

Can i use USBBridge signature with RPI standard kernel whitout "your patch", without having any problems? It means no dropout, no issues with disturbed sound or not?  Is that possible or do i depend on the patch you send to raspberry?

Please hold in mind: I will not blame anybody, i will be sure what i buy, because i want to buy.... 🙂

best regards

8 minutes ago, senior.god said:

Thank you for clarification.

What is importent to me is simple:

Can i use USBBridge signature with RPI standard kernel whitout "your patch", without having any problems? It means no dropout, no issues with disturbed sound or not?  Is that possible or do i depend on the patch you send to raspberry?

Please hold in mind: I will not blame anybody, i will be sure what i buy, because i want to buy.... 🙂

best regards

Rasbian standard driver for Axis IC (from upstream ) is only going around 100Mbs . You need our driver (thats on our website) if you want to go up to 512 DSD

Very happy user of USBridge Sig/DigiOne Sig/Shanti/Roon combo here. Installed a few nights ago. Without knowing any change was made my wife was surprised at how good the system sounded, compared to previous USBridge or Digione. 

Previously the USBridge did not sound as good as the Digione, but now they are soooo close (still limited listening time).

Very non-digital digital. Love it. Sure enough Roon sees the USBridge and DigiOne as two separate devices even though they are in the same case (well, I don't have the case yet but...)

I want to add that the previous USBridge had an issue with Mytek Brooklyn (in my case DAC +) where it could not play DSD256 (upsampled to 256). There was distinct high-pitched squealing along with garbled audio. There are a few mentions of this online  But USBridge Sig has no issues at all playing Roon-upsampled DSD 256. 

Allo, I wanted to let you know (but I imagine you knew already!) in case other Mytek users are asking about DSD256 compatability.

Thanks for the great tunes.

-Mike

Hi all, 

I bought everything last (Sunday) weekend, usbsignature and a Loos case, a Shanti PSU  

Only had a  bad luck from shipping(the postman) this was damaged.

A mail and contact with allo... friendly the same day answer and a new Shanti shipped to me. 

Everything goes super fast and a  amazing good service from Allo, wow! 👍

Today   arrived the new Shanti  psu by me in the Netherlands😀

And now we can enjoy from the usb signature and Shanti psu. 

I have try dietpi first and that is good with roon , only I'm going to Ropiee and it works beautiful🎻

9 hours ago, reelben said:

Hi all, 

I bought everything last (Sunday) weekend, usbsignature and a Loos case, a Shanti PSU  

Only had a  bad luck from shipping(the postman) this was damaged.

A mail and contact with allo... friendly the same day answer and a new Shanti shipped to me. 

Everything goes super fast and a  amazing good service from Allo, wow! 👍

Today   arrived the new Shanti  psu by me in the Netherlands😀

And now we can enjoy from the usb signature and Shanti psu. 

I have try dietpi first and that is good with roon , only I'm going to Ropiee and it works beautiful🎻

Good to hear, I'm getting my USBridge next week. Why are you choosing Ropiee over DietPi?

2 hours ago, mfsoa said:

OK upon further listening differences are apparent between the sound from USBridge Sig vs. stacked DigiOne Sig.

Comparing a single source file sent by Roon simultaneously as grouped zones, to the USBr (Shanti 3A), and the Digi (Shanti 1A) is easy, just switch inputs on the Brooklyn Dac+. All Roon DSP off so no upsampling etc. 

USBr sounds louder and images are more forward. A more Hi-Fi, juiced-up presentation. Tonally brighter because of this. I can't use the Uptone USBPC connector unfortunately due to space limitations so am using a 6' Audioquest USB I had around.

The Digi has a more restrained, mature sound that ultimately satisfies more in the long run. Image depth is pushed back but keeps going wayyy back. Overall cleaner sound vs. USBr in that image outlines for the Digi are more distinctly defined while those of the UsBr are relatively frayed, with a tiny electronic haze to them.

Fun to be able to switch back and forth...

Hope that makes any sense.

-Mike

What is the conclusion?

Is the DS superior to the UBS or the SPDIF input of Brooklyn superior to the USB input?

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)