Jump to content
IGNORED

ok, camera nuts...


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, marce said:

Unfortunately it's 40m range, not enough for me (in particular in the height department)..

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.
 
  ―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Superdad said:

 

That must be the least expensive device ever sold under the Leica name!

It's because you don't get the costliest component of every Leica with it the red dot! 

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.
 
  ―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, charlesphoto said:

And my daughter (named Leica) probably the most expensive - won't finish paying her off for a long time.... (currently going on seven). 

If I were so lucky, I'd see her as an investment!

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, 4est said:

If I were so lucky, I'd see her as an investment!

 

Ah, yes, of course! The return in love is priceless. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

 

Ah, yes, of course! The return in love is priceless. 

 

Wait until she gets into her teens... 👺

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sphinxsix said:

It's because you don't get the costliest component of every Leica with it the red dot! 

 

Rumor has it that they'll give you one for free if you show them something with a missing dot

1067270586_056e23554c_z_d.jpg

 

So is the value of the dot objective, subjective, radically objective or radically subjective?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, accwai said:

So is the value of the dot objective, subjective, radically objective or radically subjective?

It's sobjective, of course :D 

What’s true of all the evils in the world is true of plague as well.
It helps men to rise above themselves.
 
  ―  Albert Camus, The Plague.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Actually, it looks more like an Argus C44 than an M series Leica!

 

The wooden box doesn't have film advance lever so it can't be a film camera, as auto advance for film Leica M requires attaching the clunky Leica Winder M to the bottom. And it even has a "display" at the back. In terms of overall layout, it actually looks very much like the recent digital Leica M Typ 240:

M240-silver_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, accwai said:

 

The wooden box doesn't have film advance lever so it can't be a film camera, as auto advance for film Leica M requires attaching the clunky Leica Winder M to the bottom. And it even has a "display" at the back. In terms of overall layout, it actually looks very much like the recent digital Leica M Typ 240:

M240-silver_960x640_teaser-480x320.png

I still think it looks more like an Argus C-44 than it does a Leica, I had a Leica M3 for years, had the winder too as well as the auxiliary finder for 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lens. Excellent camera. Kinda wished I’d kept it.

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2019 at 6:33 PM, gmgraves said:

I still think it looks more like an Argus C-44 than it does a Leica, I had a Leica M3 for years, had the winder too as well as the auxiliary finder for 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lens. Excellent camera. Kinda wished I’d kept it.

Well, I wished that I had kept it EXCEPT for the fact that it uses film, a decisively obsolete technology (as far as I’m concerned anyway. You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints. I had and used a cold-light head enlarger (35mm and two-and-quarter), and had my own darkroom. I don’t miss that mess at all, even if it was terribly creative. I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

George

Link to post
Share on other sites

yes, film is obsolete

 

now, what speaker is analogous to my Hasselblad 500 C/M ??

 

and what speaker is is analogous to my Nikon F3?? *which I don't shoot but you will still have to "pry it from my cold, dead fingers")

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Well, I wished that I had kept it EXCEPT for the fact that it uses film, a decisively obsolete technology (as far as I’m concerned anyway. You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints. I had and used a cold-light head enlarger (35mm and two-and-quarter), and had my own darkroom. I don’t miss that mess at all, even if it was terribly creative. I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

 

I had a state of the art Fujimoto cold light variable contrast b&w head enlarger, the whole nine yards. The chemistry was killing me though. But man, looking at my 16X20 and 20X24 silver gelatin prints, as nice as my digital prints are (Imacon scanner to a Canon ipF6400 on Epson Legacy Platine), they are pieces of art, imperfections and all. The analog smoothness and depth just isn't quite there with digital. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, gmgraves said:

[...] You are reading a man who has gone the entire photography route including mastering B&W, E-6 color reversal, C-42 color negative, Cibachrome color and Ektachrome color prints.

 

Master of B&W... Awesome! Do you have your photos online anywhere?

 

Quote

[...] I’ll take a digital camera, Photoshop (or GIMP) and a good large format Inkjet printer, any day!).

 

Came across this at V. Tony Hauser's shop in downtown Toronto a few weeks back:

 

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

 

Given the Copal 3 shutter has about 4" diameter, the body is probably a Folmer & Schwing 12x20. V. Tony Hauser does platinotype. He's pretty much stuck.

 

On the flip side, a lot of the photo objectivists have gone digital I believe. Andreas Gursky shoot with 4x5 Technikardan but the stitching and processing in the backend has been all digital for a long time. Candida Höfer is supposedly digital capture as well now. And Edward Burtynsky is supposed to be all digital too, Hasselblad H6D-100c except when shooting with drone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

 

I had a state of the art Fujimoto cold light variable contrast b&w head enlarger, the whole nine yards. The chemistry was killing me though. But man, looking at my 16X20 and 20X24 silver gelatin prints, as nice as my digital prints are (Imacon scanner to a Canon ipF6400 on Epson Legacy Platine), they are pieces of art, imperfections and all. The analog smoothness and depth just isn't quite there with digital. 

Amen to that brother! I agree that digital isn’t as good as film under most circumstances, but, the darkroom requirements have always been a PITA, and I’m glad I don’t have to do it any more. 

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

Master of B&W... Awesome! Do you have your photos online anywhere?

By mastering B&W, I meant that I had the chemistry and the enlarging down-pat and knew how to use Adam’s modified “Zone System” for roll film cameras. I didn’t mean to imply that I was some kind of B&W “master”. I do not have any photos online, but am thinking about putting some there. I probably have 10,000 digital photos on iPhoto.

23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

 

Came across this at V. Tony Hauser's shop in downtown Toronto a few weeks back:

 

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

 

Given the Copal 3 shutter has about 4" diameter, the body is probably a Folmer & Schwing 12x20. V. Tony Hauser does platinotype. He's pretty much stuck.

Now THAT camera can do the Zone System big time!

23 minutes ago, accwai said:

 

On the flip side, a lot of the photo objectivists have gone digital I believe. Andreas Gursky shoot with 4x5 Technikardan but the stitching and processing in the backend has been all digital for a long time. Candida Höfer is supposedly digital capture as well now. And Edward Burtynsky is supposed to be all digital too, Hasselblad H6D-100c except when shooting with drone.

With film becoming harder and harder to get, and more expensive, most of us either already have or soon will be forced to go digital, like it or not. For the kind of photography I’ve been doing for some time, I find that it is just fine.

George

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

yes, film is obsolete

 

now, what speaker is analogous to my Hasselblad 500 C/M ??

 

and what speaker is is analogous to my Nikon F3?? *which I don't shoot but you will still have to "pry it from my cold, dead fingers")

I feel that way about my F4!

George

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...