IGNORED

ok, camera nuts...

22 hours ago, marce said:

Creating a picture is art, making music is art, listening to a stereo is not art its listening to a stereo...😀

Hmm... for the few real photogs and musicians, making art is only natural. But us regular folks have neither the talent nor the technique for that. All we can do is click away impulsively with the camera or bang away arbitrarily on the instrument. That can't possibly be art. Conversely, while we all know audiophiles listen to sound of the stereo through music, those with the necessary cultural and historical perspective would be able to listen to the music through stereo. That's appreciation of art. Similarly, if the fine photogs here were to share their work with us, we too would be able to partake in such art appreciation :x

33 minutes ago, accwai said:

All we can do is click away impulsively with the camera or bang away arbitrarily on the instrument. That can't possibly be art.

I agree, it is needed to have “métier” to produce an art.

Sunday programmer since 1985

Developer of PlayPcmWin

1 hour ago, accwai said:

Hmm... for the few real photogs and musicians, making art is only natural. But us regular folks have neither the talent nor the technique for that. All we can do is click away impulsively with the camera or bang away arbitrarily on the instrument. That can't possibly be art. Conversely, while we all know audiophiles listen to sound of the stereo through music, those with the necessary cultural and historical perspective would be able to listen to the music through stereo. That's appreciation of art. Similarly, if the fine photogs here were to share their work with us, we too would be able to partake in such art appreciation :x

How do you define a real photographer, a musician or someone who expresses art another way, say by painting...

I find all three great for restoring my inner self, to create something is cathartic... 

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Interesting, Adams' name's mentioned but no example. Did he use Polaroid print or Type 55 negative? I'm no expert but I believe Type 55 yields either a print or a negative but not both, as the two sides have different speed. Now Paul Caponigro definitely used Polaroid print for his book Seasons. And Timothy Greenfield-Sanders uses both B&W & color print. For some reason, no mention of these latter in the article.

[...] You should listen to some avant- garde/modern music 😉

These entries in the Song of the Day thread happens to be within the last week and a half:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27143-song-of-the-day-or-welcome-to-the-add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=971062

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/27143-song-of-the-day-or-welcome-to-the-add-generation/?do=findComment&comment=973244

And lots more going further back. The first one's from 2008 and the second from 2011. Are they modern enough?

2 hours ago, marce said:

How do you define a real photographer, a musician or someone who expresses art another way, say by painting...

No idea precisely what real photographer is, but whoever churns out mindless snapshots like these can't possibly be one:

P0230618.jpg.a73258c7f451db6b676deb07f0e93e46.jpg

IMG-00116.jpg.dc137cd687054488fde33f29d1e3530b.jpg

I find all three great for restoring my inner self, to create something is cathartic... 

So do you have your works online anywhere? Would be rather educational for us less advanced.

Don't really use social media these days (apart from family snaps), need to get more organised.  I wouldn't call my self an expert, but these are what I consider reasonable photo's where I have put the effort in (do a lot of dead flower type arty shots, but only use Lightroom so all stored as RAW files). I do it for fun and to bring some beauty into my life15121844854_e8882d5636_o.thumb.jpg.8b0d01863670228f7c5e7c10a73904e8.jpg16202716276_082852eda3_o.thumb.jpg.723a8a33ce70e79b337b37e7a397379d.jpg16042497779_da5a622499_o.thumb.jpg.3ef738d86cc4c92fe7ffaafd11c95da9.jpg1937458443_DurdleDoorSunset-1.thumb.jpg.123a4c85e5f7c4ccb54001aa9e0d2a4a.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, accwai said:

Hmm... for the few real photogs and musicians, making art is only natural. But us regular folks have neither the talent nor the technique for that.

"talent" has little to do with it. Some, but little. With contemporary art, technique, even less. Click here if you'd like to learn (a little bit, that's just the very tip of the iceberg) more.

(picture by Wolfgang Tillmans)

Fig6sm-684x1024.jpg

5 hours ago, marce said:

Don't really use social media these days (apart from family snaps), need to get more organised.  I wouldn't call my self an expert, but these are what I consider reasonable photo's where I have put the effort in (do a lot of dead flower type arty shots, but only use Lightroom so all stored as RAW files). I do it for fun and to bring some beauty into my life15121844854_e8882d5636_o.thumb.jpg.8b0d01863670228f7c5e7c10a73904e8.jpg

[...]

Wow, the first one's really good. Thank you very much. Here's more example of my endless snapshots:

i8_pig.jpg.4174578106f93db007cb3ee7ebe97c7f.jpg

Anbody else has any great shots to show?

4 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

Not quite, IIRC: they did both, but the negative liked to be overexposed.

Hmm... It does both but not both are usable at the same time as the print's 50 ISO but the negative 's 25 at most 32 ISO right? Please explain "overexposed". The word's over my syllable limit...

4 hours ago, Thuaveta said:

"talent" has little to do with it. Some, but little. With contemporary art, technique, even less. Click here if you'd like to learn (a little bit, that's just the very tip of the iceberg) more.

Hmm...

According to the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, "Danto's definition has been glossed as follows: something is a work of art if and only if (i) it has a subject (ii) about which it projects some attitude or point of view (has a style) (iii) by means of rhetorical ellipsis (usually metaphorical) which ellipsis engages audience participation in filling in what is missing, and (iv) where the work in question and the interpretations thereof require an art historical context. (Danto, Carroll) Clause (iv) is what makes the definition institutionalist. The view has been criticized for entailing that art criticism written in a highly rhetorical style is art, lacking but requiring an independent account of what makes a context art historical, and for not applying to music."

If I'm not mistaking, audiophiles listening to their gear *is* an art activity according to this. Wow, learn something new every day. Thanks!

39 minutes ago, accwai said:

Hmm... It does both but not both are usable at the same time as the print's 50 ISO but the negative 's 25 at most 32 ISO right? Please explain "overexposed". The word's over my syllable limit...

Something around a stop more, yes - the tin said ISO 50, but in practice, you were better off giving the negative a bit more light to build density, which'd result in a light(er) positive. I'm not aware of anyone trying to conserve Type 55 positives, IIRC, and I haven't shot one in maybe 20 years, they were so unstable they came with a foul-smelling sponge thing to clear the chemicals (and the negative was quite beautiful, but very fragile).

39 minutes ago, accwai said:

If I'm not mistaking, audiophiles listening to their gear *is* an art activity according to this. Wow, learn something new every day. Thanks!

Only if you also believe the act of hearing a tree fall in the middle of a forest makes you into a falling tree.

On 7/17/2019 at 2:21 PM, accwai said:

Interesting, Adams' name's mentioned but no example. Did he use Polaroid print or Type 55 negative?

He mostly used the Type 55 P/N material. He claimed that most of his best work from the 50's on was done using the Polaroid system. A particular favorite of his from the Polaroid era is El Capitan Winter Sunrise from 1968:

https://shop.anseladams.com/v/vspfiles/photos/1901029-2.jpg

10 hours ago, accwai said:

Wow, the first one's really good. Thank you very much. Here's more example of my endless snapshots:

i8_pig.jpg.4174578106f93db007cb3ee7ebe97c7f.jpg

Anbody else has any great shots to show?

Hmm...

Nice car. I have endless snap-shots, of family, birthdays, days out, cars, bikes, flowers, insects etc. great memory aids we sit down and go through the photo's and suddenly memories come flooding back.

Love digital and lightroom, so much less stress than the darkroom.

First picture shot here, about 20 mins from my house.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Cromwell's+Bridge,+Clitheroe+BB7+9PW/@53.8477798,-2.4531879,510m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x487b9cfc27d17427:0xebf7472f22027bc8!2sCromwell's+Bridge,+Clitheroe+BB7+9PW!3b1!8m2!3d53.8477754!4d-2.4512273!3m4!1s0x487b9cfc27d17427:0xebf7472f22027bc8!8m2!3d53.8477754!4d-2.4512273

The two humans are my 20 year old twins...

Quite possibly one of the most beautiful cameras ever made. And the body and back for this limited edition is only $7500 (chump change in hifi) which means the base chrome model should be between $5-6. 

https://photorumors.com/2019/07/18/hasselblad-launches-the-limited-907x-special-edition-camera-to-celebrate-50-years-on-the-moon/#more-111760

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

On 7/18/2019 at 4:59 PM, Thuaveta said:

Only if you also believe the act of hearing a tree fall in the middle of a forest makes you into a falling tree.

To be honest I was just going through the checklist in the article. I'm really not smart enough to fall for these tree falling nonsense. Now one more time: Audiophiles listen to their beloved system. Let's see... (i) Subject, yup (ii) Attitude/point of view, sure (iii) Rhetorical ellipsis/audience fill in the holes using via their wildest perverted fantasies, of course (iv) Interpretation requires historical/institutional context, hell yes!

As for the tree falling, aren't the tree and the somebody hearing it not one and yet not two? I don't have a clue what that means of course.

14 hours ago, marce said:

Nice car.

Totally. Not my car though. In fact, I just took the picture for the pig on the door. Similar situation here:

IMG-00044.thumb.jpg.486f1420714306700b81de298573e24c.jpg

Note the 藤原とうふ店 on the door. Must be a big Initial-D fan.

[...] Love digital and lightroom, so much less stress than the darkroom.

Just download the pictures off the phone. Who cares about these dim room/bright room gobbledygook 🤣

First picture shot here, about 20 mins from my house. [...]

Wow, nice place to live! Seriously.

20 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

like this?

working on F susp.jpg

Hmm...Need to show us your meaty tires. Something like this:

3.jpg

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

ok, if you don't like that one, here is another:

my 911 at Dee Wright in front of Sisters.jpg

I must say is a lot in this shot that appeals to me, I know its a good photo when it makes me smile and want to pick up my camera... The cars the star.