IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

What version of Sonic Orbiter do you have? 2.8 is best

Which DAC do you have? 

Have you pressed the update recently? update it if not

Did you follow the steps I posted above? recommended

Pick one protocol first and lets get that working. 

Be more specific...is the unit seen by the server, does playback start, is the DAC listed in DAC Diagnostics, momentary frequency reported in DAC Diagnostics during playback. 

I am having some shorting out issues with my optical rendu in a second system. My system is:

wireless router satellite > wired Ethernet > optical module, powered by SGC 5v LPS > fiber > OR Powered by Sonore 7v LPS > usb out to Schiit EITR > digital out > Schiit modi Multibit > integrated amp.

it seems the OR shorts out after playing for a few hours. OR and OM do not seem overly hot. It resets if I remove power to OR and Ethernet from OM, then reconnect after waiting a few min.

the only other variable is I use a russound speaker selector to run either Inside speakers or my outside patio speakers, but not at same time.

not sure why this is happening but frustrating.

By "shorting out" do you mean that the oR is dropping its connection?

Is your router gigabit output? The oM needs a gigabit LAN connection.

• HQPE 1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM
  • Streaming Qobuz or playing files from external SSD
  • Surface Go 3 i3 Tablet with HQPlayer Client
  • ISP Cable Modem -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule 
  • Sonore opticalModule  -> 20m Fiber -> Sonore opticalModule -> Ethernet -> Managed Switch
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet -> Sonore opticalModule Deluxe -> 5m Fiber -> Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical ( HQPlayer NAA )
  • Managed Switch -> Ethernet ->Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i9 Optical ( HQPlayer Embedded )
  • Sonore Sig Rendu SE Optical -> USB -> Holo Audio KTE May
  • Holo Audio KTE May -> XLR -> Goldpoint SA1X/47 -> XLR to Decware ZBIT -> RCA to Decware ZSTAGE25 -> RCA to Decware SE84UFO25 -> Avantgarde Duo Omega Horns with Townshend Audio Ribbon Super Tweeters
  • Decware SE84UFO25 -> Speaker Level to Jensen IsoMax Balanced Converter -> XLR Rives PARC -> XLR Avantgarde SUB225s
7 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I am having some shorting out issues with my optical rendu in a second system. My system is:

wireless router satellite > wired Ethernet > optical module, powered by SGC 5v LPS > fiber > OR Powered by Sonore 7v LPS > usb out to Schiit EITR > digital out > Schiit modi Multibit > integrated amp.

it seems the OR shorts out after playing for a few hours. OR and OM do not seem overly hot. It resets if I remove power to OR and Ethernet from OM, then reconnect after waiting a few min.

the only other variable is I use a russound speaker selector to run either Inside speakers or my outside patio speakers, but not at same time.

not sure why this is happening but frustrating.

You could have a bad SFP module. I was having occasional dropouts which I finally traced down to a bad module. If you have any extra modules, perhaps try them. If problem still persists then you have eliminated you possibility.

Even simpler check is to make sure modules and cables are pushed in (seated) all the way.  I have had that problem as well.

By shorting out, I mean that the power to the OR just turns off (led goes from green to nothing) I use netgear ORBI mesh router and should be fine. I’ll try changing SFP module since I have an extra. But it is not dropping out, just completely shutting down.  The only other time I experienced something like this was when I tried using an iFi power supply to power an uptone EtherRegen and was told the iFi wasn’t 

powerful enough. When I switched to an LPS 1.2, no problems. But I thought the 7v Sonore LPS was fine for the OR.

Is the OpticalRendu up to date? I remember this was an issue when the 2.8 version of Sonicorbiter OS came out. You had to update the unit twice, after that it was ok. I was experiencing the same issue, it would just shut down.

I have the Power Supply that Barrows builds, you have the same one? Not the SGC one....

Hope this helps.....

Mike

17 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

But I thought the 7v Sonore LPS was fine for the OR.

Sonore (Small Green Computer) sells two versions of the 7v LPS - 15W and 50W. The 50W is for OR while the 15W is for the other Rendus and OM.

Also, the Sonicorbiter software (2.7?) that shipped with the early batches of OR’s had an issue that caused units to overheat. Sonore actually stopped shipments for a brief period until the software could be changed.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Or do you mean one of the less expensive Chinese units they import?

According to @barrows these outperform everything else on the opticalModule... ;)

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

11 hours ago, lxgreen said:

It has Sonore printed on it

This is the "Sonore Power Supply".  It should also have a sticker on the bottom with a model number and serial number.

I highly doubt that any problem you are experiencing is related to the power supply if it is the Sonore Power Supply, as these have proven to be fairly bombproof so far (but there always can be exceptions, so i would never say never when it comes to electronics).

If the oR is shutting down, and then able to restart after being off for awhile, i wonder if it could be overheating?  Are you running high sample rate files through it, and has the ambient temperature of your room been higher than normal lately?  When the oR shuts down, does it re-start on its own, or do you have to remove power and then re-apply power to get it to start up again?  Definitely tun the software update to determine if that makes any difference.  What DAC are you using, and are you aware of your DAC uses any power from the USB power bus?

sps.1.jpeg

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Yes, this looks just like the unit I have.  Except there is no sticker on bottom with model or serial number.  It has been hot here in Southern California so that could be the issue but the unit doesn’t seem overly hot. I’ll play around with it again today and if it shuts down, I’ll measure temperature. What do you consider “too hot” where the unit would shut down? I just stream Qobuz amp through unit at a variety of sample rates. Using Schiit modi Multibit Dac with Schiit EITR for a secondary system feeding outside patio and family room.

21 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

Yes, this looks just like the unit I have.  Except there is no sticker on bottom with model or serial number.  It has been hot here in Southern California so that could be the issue but the unit doesn’t seem overly hot. I’ll play around with it again today and if it shuts down, I’ll measure temperature. What do you consider “too hot” where the unit would shut down? I just stream Qobuz amp through unit at a variety of sample rates. Using Schiit modi Multibit Dac with Schiit EITR for a secondary system feeding outside patio and family room.

I do not use the oR myself, and have no direct experience of it, so i do not know what too hot might be, i am just suggesting possible causes.  Have you updated the software?  Definitely run the software update before doing any more testing to insure you have the latest software in the oR.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 7/12/2020 at 10:05 PM, Superdad said:

Not to belabor this, but do you mean the nice $529 1.5A/7V Sonore supply that Barrows builds?

Or do you mean one of the less expensive Chinese units they import?

Sonore does not import Chinese power supplies...the Chinese power supplies are imported, distributed, and supported by SGC.  

Currently have version 2.8.  I had unit playing for several hours on a hot day here in SoCal yesterday but unit did not short out. I checked version earlier and it indicated 2.8 but I went ahead and tried to update through Sonicorbiter. At first it started update but then had an error and  stopped.I retried and successfully updated again. So far, unit hasn’t shorted since the update but I will monitor again today.

21 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I thought SGC made their own LPS. Are you saying these are imported and not made in US by SGC? I had tried to minimize by purchase of Chinese imports so this is a bit of a surprise if true.

You get what you pay for - do you think they'd really be hand building linear power supplies in the US and selling them for $150? As far as I know, they have them built to spec in China and then imported by the job lot. So at least you can expect them to be grounded properly, etc. As it is, I have a Chinese ZeroZone 12V 100VA for my NUC bought on eBay and shipped from China, and it's been running consistently and problem free for a few years now. Cost - $150. The Sonore Power Supply is in a whole other league playing with the big boys like Paul Hynes and Sean Jacobs. Very good sounding indeed, but $529 - again, you get what you pay for. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

This should be an easy one:

I just successfully installed a new opticalRendu in my system, replacing an ultraRendu. The ultraRendu is powered down and off the rack.

MySonicOrbiter reports both devices. I'd like to remove the ultraRendu from the list, but when I click Manage, of course it cannot find the device.

Is there a way to remove the ultra from MSO without hooking it back up, or do I need to make it accessible to the network and then Manage > Remove it?