IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

10 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Please clarify your connections to the EtherREGEN. It has an 'A' side with four Gigagbit ports (and SFP cage) and a 'B' side with one 100Mps port. You should have both the network feed (from you MOCA) and the Mac mini plugged into 'A' side ports, and then the ultraRendu plugged into the 'B' side port.

You might already have it hooked up that way, but we sure would not know it from the way you drew your diagram. Thanks.

Hello. You are correct - the MOCA feed, MacMini, and an Apple TV are connected into the A ports and the UltraRendu is connected to the B side port.  By the way, the EtherREGEn really brought my system to another level.

This morning I rebooted the router and unplugged the MacMini to reset the SMC.  There is good news and bad news.  The bad news is that I still experienced dropouts at DSD256 and DSD128 using HQP/Roon.  The good news is that upsampling to DSD64 worked with no issues.  I can be happy playing DSD64 but am still wondering why the higher upsampling rates are now faltering. 

Again, thanks for the input.  At times, I feel like a leech as I usually only post when I have problems and don’t have the knowledge to help others!

Several months ago, when I was considering switching back to Audirvana Plus, I bought a thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter in an attempt to use the UltraRendu with Audirvana.  This may not work with Roon/HQP or may not be practical but I am wondering if using the adapter in the scenario below would provide a better connection to the Ultrarendu.   

image.png.8129085856da10141e6a4f1f9f7a53b7.png

47 minutes ago, Ellsworth said:

This morning I rebooted the router and unplugged the MacMini to reset the SMC.  There is good news and bad news.  The bad news is that I still experienced dropouts at DSD256 and DSD128 using HQP/Roon.  The good news is that upsampling to DSD64 worked with no issues.  I can be happy playing DSD64 but am still wondering why the higher upsampling rates are now faltering. 

Again, thanks for the input.  At times, I feel like a leech as I usually only post when I have problems and don’t have the knowledge to help others!

Your issue with DSD 128 & 256 is that the MacMini likely just does not have the computing power for it. If you are happy with DSD 64 just stick with it otherwise it probably is time for a server upgrade. DSD 256 with anything but the lightest of filters takes substantial processing power. There are multiple threads here that discuss this issue.

10 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Your issue with DSD 128 & 256 is that the MacMini likely just does not have the computing power for it. If you are happy with DSD 64 just stick with it otherwise it probably is time for a server upgrade. DSD 256 with anything but the lightest of filters takes substantial processing power. There are multiple threads here that discuss this issue.

Thanks for your note.  Given that DSD64 seems to be working with no problem, that makes sense.    I had been running 256 with no issues for 6 months.  I am not sure if something changed or if the CPU was running on the very edge of its capability.  

I recently updated my mid-2011 macmini to High Sierra (max os) & can manage dsf256 upsampling from dsf64 with ASDM7, 44.1x256 with no dropouts. HQP, ER, ultraRendu, rme dac. Issues with redbook to dsf256 dropouts, which I didn’t previously have & pcm hires to dsf256 is a no go. For those I use Audirvana, no problems - it’ll go to dsf256 without issue for all, except it doesn’t upsample dsf.

Just needs a replacement pc, with ur-powerful bells n whistles.

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

I have an opticalRendu with a Topping MQA D90. Running Roon Rock as well. When I switch from DSD to MQA I hear a noise comparable to putting the needle in a vinyl record with the volume quite loud. When I go back from MQA to DSD then no sound. Before the opticalRendu is used a Mac as streamer and this did not happen. Any ideas what it cause and  how it can be fixed? Already changed resync delay in Roon but that does not help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

33 minutes ago, RichardK said:

I have an opticalRendu with a Topping MQA D90. Running Roon Rock as well. When I switch from DSD to MQA I hear a noise comparable to putting the needle in a vinyl record with the volume quite loud. When I go back from MQA to DSD then no sound. Before the opticalRendu is used a Mac as streamer and this did not happen. Any ideas what it cause and  how it can be fixed? Already changed resync delay in Roon but that does not help.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Does this happen with non MQA PCM content?

7 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Does this happen with non MQA PCM content?

@vortecjr Hi. This happens only when I switch TO MQA. When I switch back everything is normal. Maybe someone worth mentioning is that I upsample non MQA music to DSD256 (see screenshots), that my DAC is MQA Decoder and Renderer and that it plays NativeDSD as well. I configured it as such in the sonicOrbiter configuration screen (attached as well)

I hope this clarifies my situation

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.18.15.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.18.01.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.17.32.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.19.08.png

1 hour ago, RichardK said:

@vortecjr Hi. This happens only when I switch TO MQA. When I switch back everything is normal. Maybe someone worth mentioning is that I upsample non MQA music to DSD256 (see screenshots), that my DAC is MQA Decoder and Renderer and that it plays NativeDSD as well. I configured it as such in the sonicOrbiter configuration screen (attached as well)

I hope this clarifies my situation

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.18.15.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.18.01.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.17.32.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 08.19.08.png

It appears to me that this is noise happening from inside the DAC more likely than not with the MQA decoder. The Rendu is not processing the MQA signal any different compared to the PCM stream. 

Hi, I have a microRendu that has developed a problem. Somehow it can't be found on the network. The network connection seems OK (green light steady, yellow flickering), but Roon has lost connection. IP scanner doesn't show it, as it used to, so impossibly to get to it through an IP number. Further it seems the unit isn't getting as warm as it used to. The power source is tested and works OK. The DAC (Meridian Explorer2) receives power from the uR (one white light, so it connects). The SD card is properly seated, had it reseated to try.

I have tested the connected DAC directly on a computer and it works good.

Is there anything further I can try or tips to get it working again?

Thanks, Rene

Cheers, Rene[br]

34 minutes ago, hfxrzw said:

Hi, I have a microRendu that has developed a problem. Somehow it can't be found on the network. The network connection seems OK (green light steady, yellow flickering), but Roon has lost connection. IP scanner doesn't show it, as it used to, so impossibly to get to it through an IP number. Further it seems the unit isn't getting as warm as it used to. The power source is tested and works OK. The DAC (Meridian Explorer2) receives power from the uR (one white light, so it connects). The SD card is properly seated, had it reseated to try.

I have tested the connected DAC directly on a computer and it works good.

Is there anything further I can try or tips to get it working again?

Thanks, Rene

Your next step is to try a new SD card. Pick one up from our website under Software.

2 hours ago, ericuco said:

To upgrade to 2.8 requires purchase ($29) of new SD card from Small Green Computer.

We know this because we haunt these forums but I don't know how anyone not on the forums would know that.  The screen message is confusing to someone not on the internet forums and we can see how often this question arises here. 

I wonder if Sonore wouldn't be doing its users and itself a favor if, when the version information pops up on the screen, the same screen would say "(Optional purchase from smallgreencomputer.com.)" or something like that. I haven't a clue about how easy it would be to code that, but, if it can be done without investing a fortune in time or money, that might be a good idea. 

It's just a thought. More info almost always is better than too little, no? 

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Thanks for the responses, I have ordered a V2.8 microSD card.

Mike I think you are right that it should make it clear that the 2.8 upgrade isn't available as an in software upgrade, however I do fail to see why it can't be offered as a download so we can put on a microSd card ourselves.

This is not a DIY project and we want consistency with units in the wild for current and future customers. Not to mention for my own sanity:)  

Forum support is only one support avenue with most people emailing questions. We have many units in the wild across several SO based Rendu and only two or three of you have an issue with the update system and version number.   

Yet another behavioral quirk to report...my sonicorbiter.com homepage seems to be frozen in thinking that my microrendu is attached - when it is in fact disconnected.  If I click on the microrendu in order to manage it , of course nothing happens, whether the mR is connected or not.  

I’ve tried everything I know. Have rebooted the server, as well as my sonic transporter.  Nothing.  The mR still shows up as “attached” on my sonicorbiter home page.  But I can’t do anything with it. 

Suggestions? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

8 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

Yet another behavioral quirk to report...my sonicorbiter.com homepage seems to be frozen in thinking that my microrendu is attached - when it is in fact disconnected.  If I click on the microrendu in order to manage it , of course nothing happens, whether the mR is connected or not.  

I’ve tried everything I know. Have rebooted the server, as well as my sonic transporter.  Nothing.  The mR still shows up as “attached” on my sonicorbiter home page.  But I can’t do anything with it. 

Suggestions? 

Sonicorbiter.com remembers the unit and since it did not shut down properly it will remain there for a while and automatically remove itself from the list. The mostly likely issues are: bad power supply, bad SD card, bad network connections.  

36 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

Sonicorbiter.com remembers the unit and since it did not shut down properly it will remain there for a while and automatically remove itself from the list. The mostly likely issues are: bad power supply, bad SD card, bad network connections.  

Like you mentioned, after a period of time it stopped remembering the mR. The network and PS are very good - may be the 2.8 card.  Hopefully a one-time blip.

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

On 6/21/2020 at 7:27 PM, vortecjr said:

That is not showing playback at all. When it does it shows a Momentary Frequency and we need it to see what rate it's receiving.   

Thank you for the support.

In the mean time I did the following test:

1) I disabled LMS on my NAS.

2) I installed the LMS on the orendu as provided in the Software Manager app.

3) I installed the DSDplayer plugin

4) To be sure, I rebooted the orendu

I checked LMS information on the orendu and found out the version is 7.9.2. I also checked the DSDplayer plugin was effectively installed. Then I checked the settings for Native DSD playback in the Squeezelite client which appear to be fine to me. You can see these info in the attached png files.

I played some PCM tracks without issues. Then I tried DSD files without succes. No sound with every .dsf file I tried, so indeed still no playback: the DAC diagnostics the same as before (="no setup"). The interface between the oRendu and the QB-9-Twenty appears blocked from then on-wards and only after a reboot of the oRendu I can play PCM tracks again.

If you have further things I could try out, please let me know.

I would assume now at least there cannot be any mismatch between LMS/DSDPlayer plugin/Squeezelite because this is what is offered in the Software Manager.

LMS-Orendu.png

LMS-Orendu 2.png

Squeezelite-settings.png

15 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Everything look normal there. I was able to replicate your setup and stream to my DAC via native DSD so it looks like the driver is not working.

Thank you for trying it out! Which Ayre DAC did you use (I assume a QB9-Twenty since you replicated my setup)?

What do you mean with "driver is not working"?

Is that something on the ORendu (how could this be resolved?)? Or is that something on the QB9-Twenty (for which supposedly I should get in touch with Ayre (Ryan Berry))?

In other words, how could this non-working driver issue be identified/confirmed and resolved?

Thanks in advance for your response!