IGNORED

Rendu Support Thread

11 hours ago, vortecjr said:

That power supply will not give you the best sound quality though:)

I am sure you are right, and even if the Meanwell isn’t outputting much noise on it’s d.c. feed, is is no doubt feeding unwelcome noise into my mains block and potentially impacting neighbouring equipment in my rack. A 7V Linear Power Supply is on the way to replace it, but I could really do with solving the mystery of the disappearing OR.

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Sounds like you missed the hole:) Open it up and retrieve it. The manage button will not work if the unit is not powered on and fully booted.

Looks like I fixed it - thanks for your help Jesus.  The only thing I'll bring up - now that I'm posting here - is that since installing 2.8 my mR refuses to reboot.  Ever.  Is that a problem? 

Tidal / Qobuz--> Roon--> Fios Gigabit--> Netgear Prosafe GS105 --> Supra 8-->EtherRegen --> Fiber--> opticalRendu / CI Audio LPS --> Curious Evolved Link --> Chord Qutest--> AQ Water --> Belles Aria Integrated--> AQ Robin Hood--> Kudos Super 20's

4 hours ago, BlueDL said:

I am sure you are right, and even if the Meanwell isn’t outputting much noise on it’s d.c. feed, is is no doubt feeding unwelcome noise into my mains block and potentially impacting neighbouring equipment in my rack. A 7V Linear Power Supply is on the way to replace it, but I could really do with solving the mystery of the disappearing OR.

A short DHCP lease time in the router can cause this so increasing it can help. Another thing to try is to give the unit a fixed IP address in the router.  

6 hours ago, vortecjr said:

A short DHCP lease time in the router can cause this so increasing it can help. Another thing to try is to give the unit a fixed IP address in the router.  

Thanks. But how would that explain reliable behaviour being replaced by this intermittent issue? I have had the same router (supplies by my fibre broadband  internet provider) throughout my 11 months of OR ownership, yet this issue is a recent phenomenon. Was something changed by v2.8 that would make the OR more likely to be affected by a short DHCP lease time or having a dynamic IP address?

9 hours ago, vortecjr said:

I just checked the DHCP lease time on the Router homepage and it is shown as 86400 seconds. Is that classed as ‘short’?  I must confess, I have no clue as to whether or not that is a normal default value. 

14 hours ago, BlueDL said:

Thanks. But how would that explain reliable behaviour being replaced by this intermittent issue? I have had the same router (supplies by my fibre broadband  internet provider) throughout my 11 months of OR ownership, yet this issue is a recent phenomenon. Was something changed by v2.8 that would make the OR more likely to be affected by a short DHCP lease time or having a dynamic IP address?

These are things that come up and help others. 2.8 is an entire new OS so consider that it changed a lot, but mostly for the better.     

12 hours ago, BlueDL said:

I just checked the DHCP lease time on the Router homepage and it is shown as 86400 seconds. Is that classed as ‘short’?  I must confess, I have no clue as to whether or not that is a normal default value. 

Increase it so you have many more days and one just day.

12 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Increase it so you have many more days and one just day.

I upped it to a week (604800 seconds) but the issue reoccurred about 30 minutes later. So I have reverted to the v2.7 SD card to see if the past stability returns. Thanks for the support so far.

5 hours ago, BlueDL said:

I upped it to a week (604800 seconds) but the issue reoccurred about 30 minutes later. So I have reverted to the v2.7 SD card to see if the past stability returns. Thanks for the support so far.

Have you tried locking the local ip address of the OR to its MAC address. This is called MAC binding and it prevents the DHCP server from ever changing the local ip of the OR. This is usually pretty easy in most routers. There is usually an option for something like "assign fixed ip....." or similar. If you are not sure, just Google it for your router.

22 minutes ago, bobflood said:

Have you tried locking the local ip address of the OR to its MAC address. This is called MAC binding and it prevents the DHCP server from ever changing the local ip of the OR. This is usually pretty easy in most routers. There is usually an option for something like "assign fixed ip....." or similar. If you are not sure, just Google it for your router.

I will definitely try this if I see the same issue occur with v2.7. I’m first going to give v2.7 at least 5 days to see if it results in a run of stability. However, the problem coincided with the introduction of v2.8 (I ordered that SD card as soon as I saw the announcement in an email from Andrew Gillis). Up to that point, the OR was not disappearing from ‘Network Players’ despite it not having a locked IP address and with DHCP lease time being only 24 hours. That said, if a locked IP address is a prerequisite for v2.8 to cease this behaviour (if I can confirm it to definitely be attributable) then I will of course consider it. Thanks again.

12 minutes ago, BlueDL said:

I will definitely try this if I see the same issue occur with v2.7. I’m first going to give v2.7 at least 5 days to see if it results in a run of stability. However, the problem coincided with the introduction of v2.8 (I ordered that SD card as soon as I saw the announcement in an email from Andrew Gillis). Up to that point, the OR was not disappearing from ‘Network Players’ despite it not having a locked IP address and with DHCP lease time being only 24 hours. That said, if a locked IP address is a prerequisite for v2.8 to cease this behaviour (if I can confirm it to definitely be attributable) then I will of course consider it. Thanks again.

I doubt that this has anything to do with 2.7 vs 2.8 but please keep us informed.

3 minutes ago, bobflood said:

I doubt that this has anything to do with 2.7 vs 2.8 but please keep us informed.

Will do. Yeah, I do feel I am clutching at straws a little, but nothing else in my network has changed during the period I’ve been witnessing this. 

If I recall correctly, the original batch of 2.8 cards had an issue with the oR, something to do with overheating. Sonore quit sending out 2.8 cards for a few weeks(?) while the problem was diagnosed and resolved.

I waited for the new batch of 2.8 cards but when I reboot my oR, I have to let it cool down for several minutes (15-30) before powering back up. That means physically disconnecting power cord and then reconnecting it after several minutes. Otherwise the oR will not show up on my network.

3 minutes ago, ericuco said:

If I recall correctly, the original batch of 2.8 cards had an issue with the oR, something to do with overheating. Sonore quit sending out 2.8 cards for a few weeks(?) while the problem was diagnosed and resolved.

I waited for the new batch of 2.8 cards but when I reboot my oR, I have to let it cool down for several minutes (15-30) before powering back up. That means physically disconnecting power cord and then reconnecting it after several minutes. Otherwise the oR will not show up on my network.

I am pretty sure that Andrew fixed this problem with an update. I have a uRendu so I don't have any issue.

Thanks ericuco.

That’s an interesting bit of info because I actually added a heatsink on top of my OR as I felt it was getting a bit too hot for my liking (no temperature measurement taken - just judgement and comparison against an LPS-1 and LPS-1.2, which run pretty warm themselves). My card would definitely be one from an early batch, if not even the first batch. If the v2.7 card consistently behaves, I will request a replacement v2.8 card.

1 hour ago, bobflood said:

I am pretty sure that Andrew fixed this problem with an update. I have a uRendu so I don't have any issue.

I don't recall the exact thermal issue that Andrew fixed but it did not fix the issue I reported above as it has been repeatable. I don't have any thermal issues (although it does get rather warm with a 7.5v supply) once the oR has successfully booted and been recognized on my network.

52 minutes ago, ericuco said:

I don't recall the exact thermal issue that Andrew fixed but it did not fix the issue I reported above as it has been repeatable. I don't have any thermal issues (although it does get rather warm with a 7.5v supply) once the oR has successfully booted and been recognized on my network.

Even with my uRendu running 2.8, I sometimes have to let the unit cool down after an update in order to re-boot. Once it is running, I do not have any problems either.

I just bought a used Uptone LPS 1.2 to replace the SGC LPS on my microrendu 1.4 (Sonicorbiter 2.8) and set it to 7v, which is what the SGC outputs.  Unfortunately, it did not power up the MR to the point that I could detect it on the network. The lights on the back were not lit.

I then took the LPS 1.2 that was powering my etherregen in another system, set it at 7v, and connected it to the MR. It also wouldn't power up the MR to the point I could detect it. 

In the meantime, the one that I just bought fired up the etherregen at 9v just fine.  We thus know that both LPS 1.2 units are capable of working at 9v.

I then tried swapping DC cables. I used both the cheapo that came with the LPS 1.2 and a Ghent. Neither worked with the MR, so we know it's probably not a cable issue.

I changed ethernet cables.  Still not working.

I then reconnected the MR to the SGC LPS.  It worked fine again.

Is there any reason why an LPS set to 7v wouldn't work with an MR 1.4?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

1 hour ago, Mike Rubin said:

Is there any reason why an LPS set to 7v wouldn't work with an MR 1.4?

Hi Mike: 

They work fine together but there is a trick required due to combo of design of the microRendu and the ramp time of LT3045 regs used in the UltraCap LPS-1.2. Please see the answer and trick just posted as reply to you in the other thread. 

If after using that simple trick you still have a problem, please contact me directly.

Thanks,

—Alex C.

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi Mike: 

They work fine together but there is a trick required due to combo of design of the microRendu and the ramp time of LT3045 regs used in the UltraCap LPS-1.2. Please see the answer and trick just posted as reply to you in the other thread. 

If after using that simple trick you still have a problem, please contact me directly.

Thanks,

—Alex C.

Worked perfectly, Alex!  Thanks again.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s