IGNORED

Sonore Linear Power Supply

3 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Thanks. Guessed this was the case (JS-2 and LPS-1.2 obviously) but no harm in getting confirmation/clarification.

Bound to be Barrows! ...?

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

14 hours ago, vortecjr said:

While we wait here is some eye candy. This is our ultraSupply. This power supply is designed for the Rendu series, opticalModule and the ultraDigital. At the core of this high quality linear power supply is a toroidal transformer, very low noise regulator, along with other hand selected parts. It's meant to be a value product and at a targeted MSRP of ~498 USD. I'll start a new thread for it soon, but feel free to post your impressions here for now.

659957977_ScreenShot2019-05-24at8_31_35PM.png.cc2c62354aa29c1ff2fc76934e1489bb.png

opticalRendu and ultraSupply  

Can this power both an opticalRendu and an opticalModule simultaneously?
It would be great if you could package both with one PS to power both.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

17 minutes ago, firedog said:

Can this power both an opticalRendu and an opticalModule simultaneously?
It would be great if you could package both with one PS to power both.

You do not want to power the opticalModule and the opticalRendu from the same power supply, as this would defeat the isolation provided by optical Ethernet.

Additionally, it would be recommended to use your optical run for the longest ethernet cable in your set up, as optical cabling is not subject to external interference and has greater signal integrity than wire Ethernet cabling.  Best practice is to have the server, and and any commercial Network/computer gear placed far from the audio system with an opticalModule there, and then run optical cabling to your audio system, placing the opticalRendu and its power supply directly adjacent to each other, and using the shortest possible DC cable between them-long cables for DC increase inductance and "slow" down the response of the power supply.  If it is not practical to have a long run of optical cabling, still be sure to power the FMC/opticalModule and the opticalRendu from dedicated supplies.

With products like this one is paying a premium price for very high performance (vs. standard consumer gears), so it does not make much sense to then hamper the components performance by sharing power supplies.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

35 minutes ago, barrows said:

You do not want to power the opticalModule and the opticalRendu from the same power supply, as this would defeat the isolation provided by optical Ethernet.

You didn’t answer his question. 

It’s yes or no. 

This PS is so “bad” it can’t even power the LPS-1 / 1.2. 

I hope Sonore make an upgraded version. I would happily purchase 2 or 3 😀

48 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I hope Sonore make an upgraded version. I would happily purchase 2 or 3

I am sorry, I do not understand the above comments?  The ultraSupply referred to by Jesus is specifically designed to power:

microRendu, ultraRendu, ultraDigital, and opticalRendu

It is a very high performance power supply for those products. 

The rated output is 7 VDC @1.5A continuous.  It can actually output quite a bit more current (2A+) but may have long term reliability issues if asked to run at 2A continuous in a hot environment, hence the conservative rating.  Heat dissipation is the only limitation here.  

LPS 1.2 requires 36 watts to power it, this supply (~15W) was never intended for such use.

Additionally, I suspect that @Superdad would suggest that powering the LPS 1.2 with a very high performance low output impedance power supply would be unnecessary and overkill.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

Why not add a Vbus Power interface in next model 😀 ?

54 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

What does that even mean?!   Are you commenting about the PS that Sonore is teasing?  How can you say anything about it with no specs announced?  And why even would you want to consider powering your UltraCap LPS-1/LPS-1.2 units with this Sonore supply?  What will that get you?  It sure would not raise the continuos output current capability of the UltraCap models past what they have always been capable of.

You are not making much sense today Andreas, and you are just antagonizing Sonore and UpTone. (I see Jesus deleted all you giant photos in your off-topic post about heat measured with a glass meat thermometer. :S)

@vortecjr‘s point about advising against a VBUS injector after the opticalRendu is because the 5VBUS out of their new piece is very good. You would have to replace that with an LT3045 DIY board to equal that.

I am sorry that it has turned out that the opticalRendu by itself requires a full 1A of current—at least during boot, it drops much lower afterwards—and that means that DACs drawing much VBUS current put the combo over the ampacity of the UltraCap units you already own.  But that’s where it stands.

26 minutes ago, Superdad said:

(I see Jesus deleted all you giant photos in your off-topic post about heat measured with a glass meat thermometer. :S)

@vortecjr‘s point about advising against a VBUS injector after the opticalRendu is because the 5VBUS out of their new piece is very good. You would have to replace that with an LT3045 DIY board to equal.

I am sorry that it has turned out that the opticalRendu by itself requires a full 1A of current—at least during boot, it drops much lower afterwards—and that means that DACs drawing much VBUS current put the combo over the ampacity of the UltraCap units you already own.  But that’s where it stands.

I didn't delete his posts..I just moved them into the Rendu support thread as he requested. 

You might need two DIY boards to match the VBUS output on the opticalRendu:) You really don't want to connect anything after the Rendu except your DAC or digital converter.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

Good to know, I hadn’t heard that before. I’d planned on powering them both from my HD-Plex but it sounds like I need a new plan. 

39 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

Good to know, I hadn’t heard that before. I’d planned on powering them both from my HD-Plex but it sounds like I need a new plan. 

It can be done with one power supply, but you have to double up on everything making it expensive. I would concentrate on using your best power supply on the opticalRendu and working backwards from there as your budget permits.

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

What does that even mean?!   Are you commenting about the PS that Sonore is teasing?  How can you say anything about it with no specs announced?  And why even would you want to consider powering your UltraCap LPS-1/LPS-1.2 units with this Sonore supply?  What will that get you?  It sure would not raise the continuos output current capability of the UltraCap models past what they have always been capable of.

You are not making much sense today Andreas, and you are just antagonizing Sonore and UpTone. (I see Jesus deleted all you giant photos in your off-topic post about heat measured with a glass meat thermometer. :S)

@vortecjr‘s point about advising against a VBUS injector after the opticalRendu is because the 5VBUS out of their new piece is very good. You would have to replace that with an LT3045 DIY board to equal that.

..Did you expect Sonore to design the opticalRendu around your product?😯

1 hour ago, Ishmael Slapowitz said:

..Did you expect Sonore to design the opticalRendu around your product?😯

Of course not.  But there are literally several thousand UltraCap units out in the field--with hundreds of them being used with microRendus and ultraRendus.  So a lot of those users who are considering upgrading to an opticalRendu may be disappointed that powering it with their already owed UltraCap supply is right on the border.

You may not be aware that John Swenson does the hardware engineering for both the Sonore Rendu series and for all UpTone products. A lot went on behind the scenes with efforts to reduce the current consumption of the opticalRendu--that's part of why it's production was delayed. Now it appears that use of an UltraCap supply with the opticalRendu may be hit-or-miss, depending both on s/w mode it is in and VBUS load on its output.  That's life.

All that said, I do wish Sonore well with the new power supply that is the topic of this thread.  I'm sure it will be quite nice. Choice is good. :D

43 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Of course not.  But there are literally several thousand UltraCap units out in the field--with hundreds of them being used with microRendus and ultraRendus.  So a lot of those users who are considering upgrading to an opticalRendu may be disappointed that powering it with their already owed UltraCap supply is right on the border.

You may not be aware that John Swenson does the hardware engineering for both the Sonore Rendu series and for all UpTone products. A lot went on behind the scenes with efforts to reduce the current consumption of the opticalRendu--that's part of why it's production was delayed. Now it appears that use of an UltraCap supply with the opticalRendu may be hit-or-miss, depending both on s/w mode it is in and VBUS load on its output.  That's life.

All that said, I do wish Sonore well with the new power supply that is the topic of this thread.  I'm sure it will be quite nice. Choice is good. :D

Fair points, and other facts noted. Yes I am aware Mr. Swenson has worked on products for both companies. In fact, i have been following him for over a decade, first back when i was rocking my first networked audio set up with a Squeezebox Touch!

29 minutes ago, iLguapo said:

Noticed that the price already went up.

is this going to include the output power cable?

estimated shipping date?

No estimate yet.  Please understand that these will be hand built to order, and depending on demand delivery may take a little time.  No output cable included at this price.  As users may need different cable lengths, these will be separate.  We are still considering cable options, unfortunately, making custom DC cables is kind of expensive.

If people reading here would like to provide input on DC cable options, we are listening.

My point of view, is that using the shortest cable possible is the best option.  I use a 6" cable.  the reason for this is that the "speed" of the power supply is very, very good (low output impedance and very fast settling time), and cable length compromises that performance.  For example, I would suggest that a very simple 6" DC cable, would easily outperform a complex, expensive, 1 meter, pure silver, start quad, JSSG shielded cable.

The question is, would most customers place the Rendu directly adjacent to the power supply and use a short cable?

SONORE computer audio

The design is confirmed, tested, and parts for building a run are on order.  No one here at Sonore is sitting on their hands or anything.  We will have these ASAP, but it would be disingenuous to say exactly when until these parts arrive (and the chassis panels are confirmed to fit properly).  This supply will be worth waiting for.  I can say that it will not be 6 months or anything, first batch should just be a matter of weeks (but not days...)

In the mean time, I am happy to answer any questions here.

SONORE computer audio

Sonore also sells a 7V supply for $159.  This one is $529.  Convince me that this one is worth the difference in price.  More details about the design/components would help.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

8 minutes ago, rickca said:

Sonore also sells a 7V supply for $159.  This one is $529.  Convince me that this one is worth the difference in price.  More details about the design/components would help.

I don’t  think that other supply includes the power cord either , including the cable it totals over $300.

the CIA audio device is very tempting. It would be very helpful to get a better idea on estimated wait time on the new unit 

32 minutes ago, iLguapo said:

It would be very helpful to get a better idea on estimated wait time on the new unit 

As mentioned above, wait time will be weeks (not months), but until parts are in stock, any further estimate would be speculation.  This is a hand built unit, made here in the US, one at a time, and individually tested, not just some standard issue Chinese thing we re-branded or anything, so there may be some delays (dependent on demand), but it will be worth the wait.

SONORE computer audio