IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

On 2/2/2023 at 12:29 PM, davide256 said:

Hallelujah!  This didn't work for me under v3 but it sure looks like it will now... only option needed is allow control from network for HQP server

image.thumb.png.efd2dd4a0038a914daf1237d84a7f88a.png

This is encouraging (at least to my OP) in that it would appear this would work with the Aqua LinQ HQPe module - similar to how roon handles HQP.

I don't know how difficult Euphony/Stylus is to get up and running but I do have a spare SSD I could pop into a wkst and give the trial a try.

My rig

12 minutes ago, Foggie said:

This is encouraging (at least to my OP) in that it would appear this would work with the Aqua LinQ HQPe module - similar to how roon handles HQP.

I don't know how difficult Euphony/Stylus is to get up and running but I do have a spare SSD I could pop into a wkst and give the trial a try.

Euphony is easy  to install. DNS for finding NAS sometimes erratic, I usually just use the NAS IP address  to add path to library. And a bit of delay for song start

when using HQPe as output. Only "run" issue I've run into is main computer MOBO, wouldn't boot with XMP memory use enabled.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

On 2/9/2023 at 2:21 PM, Smaragdhk said:

I see, perhaps it’s more obvious or apparent in a single device setup… I’m using a 10i7 NUC

curious to hear what others experience… @al2813

Stylus server on NUC, IFI Zen Stream UPNP end point - all cables and power supply custom. Thin and digital is exactly what I felt. it was very obvious. 

6 hours ago, Foggie said:

Yes, if something works generally with HQPlayer, it should work the same no matter where HQPlayer is situated. Including LinQ HQPlayer Core module.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I don't have experience or did not test Squeezelite alone. All I can say is that in a dual PC setup, where both PC's are running on Euphony (1st server PC full licence, 2nd PC endpoint licence), this is my order of things from best to worst in terms of sound quality:

1. Stylus -> StylusEP

2. Stylus -> HQP

3. Stylus+HQP -> NAA endpoint

4. Roon -> StylusEP

5. Roon+HQP -> NAA endpoint

6. Roon -> Roonbridge

Thanks a lot. 
I am currently testing various options with:

Lumin U2 mini +lpsu

Zen Stream +lpsu

Panda Alpha as endpoint

Roon server (on optimized linux) nuc+lpsu

nuc as endpoint with various software: daphile, audiolinux, volumio, squeezelite.

And after reading  few comments about quality of Euphony Stylus started to think that maybe this is something to look at…

Using Euphony on a NUC or similar PC and using the Stylus modes is the primary use case with which the whole system was designed (I think). So it only makes sense that in this configuration it has the potential to offer best sound quality. All the other modes (Roon, HQP, etc.) are there for user comfort and to attract more users who prefer these (popular) options.

1 hour ago, Yiakubou said:

Using Euphony on a NUC or similar PC and using the Stylus modes is the primary use case with which the whole system was designed (I think). So it only makes sense that in this configuration it has the potential to offer best sound quality. All the other modes (Roon, HQP, etc.) are there for user comfort and to attract more users who prefer these (popular) options.

I find  Stylus endpoint output and HQPe NAA output compared in NOS PCM mode are equally good using Stylus server, just different strengths and weaknesses.

Gave Roon a trial again yesterday, nothings changed, sound get blurry with complex passages and transients are subdued.

Stylus - good subliminal queues that persuade of life like performance, phrasing is articulate. Harmonics can be weird though in loud sections, a sense of loss of control

HQPe - the kind of sound I associate with Deutsche Grammophon  LP's of the 70's, no errors, clean, in control no matter how complex/loud the passage is

but overly polished like an airbrushed picture.

Some recorded passages  sound coarse with both which I think is my DAC misbehaving

D/A chain is a Metrum Octave  NOS DAC and SRC-DX DDC

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

1 hour ago, davide256 said:

I find  Stylus endpoint output and HQPe NAA output compared in NOS PCM mode are equally good using Stylus server, just different strengths and weaknesses.

Gave Roon a trial again yesterday, nothings changed, sound get blurry with complex passages and transients are subdued.

Stylus - good subliminal queues that persuade of life like performance, phrasing is articulate. Harmonics can be weird though in loud sections, a sense of loss of control

HQPe - the kind of sound I associate with Deutsche Grammophon  LP's of the 70's, no errors, clean, in control no matter how complex/loud the passage is

but overly polished like an airbrushed picture.

Some recorded passages  sound coarse with both which I think is my DAC misbehaving

D/A chain is a Metrum Octave  NOS DAC and SRC-DX DDC

Thanks Dave for sharing - truly appreciated.

In my case, seems like my Lampizator DAC is relatively immune to quality of usb input.

Various USB cables make small difference. It is somewhat similar with different streamers, as well.

Even Lumin U2 Mini with LPSU (HDPlex) is only marginally better than direct connection from Roon server.

Lampi fed directly from Roon server (NUC with audio optimized Ubuntu 22.04 server powered by HDPlex) sounds really good.

Based on the comments above, I will probably prepare NUC with trial version of Euphony server and will check it out as a direct source for USB to Lampi.

On 12/20/2022 at 9:10 AM, Yiakubou said:

On top of that, their terms and conditions document is still not accessible

Hi @Yiakubou@ArthurPower, just to inform you that Euphony V4 Terms & Conditions are available. Robert also wrote me yesterday and proposed a 1 year V4 subscription as per previous V3 owner conditions. It took a while (Dec 20th) to get a reply but it seems we are up to date again. At least I know what I sign up for now.

(...) Money-Back Guarantee

HD-INFO Ltd. will accept:

* for hardware products only: we accept returns for period of 30 days from the day We ship Your order.

* for digital products (eq. software subscriptions) We do not provide refunds or money back guarantee. After license is bought, buyer can only cancel subscription license and renewal recurrence.

* request from buyer to cancel subscription. By accepting cancelation, We will immediately stop recurring payment, and no payment will be asked in future. Buyer is entitled to continue use software license until end subscription period purchased . We do not provide any refunds for remaining subscription period left after request for license cancelation. (...)

(...) Warranty

Euphony-Audio “software products” delivered as digital goods comes only with “support guarantee”. Support guarantee is given for subscription period. As subscription is renewed, support renewed for next time validity of license.  

Finally “software product” support guarantee is given with following statement from us: Best effort is given by owner of software to make software work at declared specification and compatibility with user hardware and third party software (which may be included in downloaded package). User is always free to terminate subscription and we advice user to acquire license with shortest possible subscription period (1 month), and make purchase risk minimal.

This warranty applies to the first owner and is not transferable (for both digital and hardware products sold).(...)

https://euphony-audio.com/v4/tc/

3 hours ago, di-fi said:

(...) and we advice user to acquire license with shortest possible subscription period (1 month), and make purchase risk minimal.

Things are more clear now but I do not really understand :

* why one would choose shortest subscription period?

* or the reason behind it?

It seems to discourage long-term subscribers?

Screenshot_20230214-184349.png

8 hours ago, di-fi said:

* why one would choose shortest subscription period?

* or the reason behind it?

I suppose this is in the context of addressing concerns that a lot of DIY users may have: if one year subscription is bought and my new hardware is not supported or if I rely on Roon/HQPlayer and some part of Euphony integration with them (or the whole product - it is possible) stops working - then buying monthly subscription would be a safer choice.

I don't believe this is general advice for everyone – otherwise it would seem to suggest that the product as a whole is not reliable.
It could have been worded better.

It is true that while Euphony may have full control over Stylus player the third-party software integration is on shaky ground lately: Roon -> StylusEP over HQP protocol stopped working at one point and HQP updates are not available for some time now.

I think that when a certain SQ level is achieved in the OS, Euphony tries to keep the system fixed and that is probably in a direct collision with third-party software updates. These updates may require updates on OS level, and those are unpredictable for SQ of the entire system. Automatically supporting every update of third-party software at OS level would mean affecting SQ of all users - even those who use only Stylus player and Stylus users are most likely their main concern. Euphony must somehow balance this.

7 hours ago, c-w said:

I suppose this is in the context of addressing concerns that a lot of DIY users may have:

It absolutely is . And thank you @c-w for trying to make sense of it.

Letting go of third-party software integration in Euphony v4 seems a serious possibility in the near future (whatever the reason). I think its is only fair for those DIY users to know they better choose the option of monthly renewal (for many only once their v3 to v4 1-year extension expires). Or look out for alternatives that offer the same sound quality (good luck!). Or explore and follow development of Mozzaik?

That transparency really is appreciated (even if it could have been worded better). 

Hi guys,

i reverted back to v 24/01/24, it sound fuller in my system.

i want to ask you something happening with my server since v4 was installed.

my server is the nenon i9 9900 k, with phantom mb.

i had so far 3 times a message on euphony saying cpu high load can t play music now? Is it normal?

i never had this message on v3 before..

54 minutes ago, sakso136 said:

Hi guys,

i reverted back to v 24/01/24, it sound fuller in my system.

i want to ask you something happening with my server since v4 was installed.

my server is the nenon i9 9900 k, with phantom mb.

i had so far 3 times a message on euphony saying cpu high load can t play music now? Is it normal?

i never had this message on v3 before..

Very occasionally I see the same problem popping up and then also get the same message. I have no idea what the cause is. Normally my processor (Celeron J1900) uses less than 3% of its power. Obviously something is triggering this problem. A reboot may be the remedy.

After failing miserably to get Stylus to install properly on a mac (iOS & Windows), I gave it one last go on a Wolf Audio Luna. 

Not right out of the box, but with a modicum of tweaking this is a keeper.

Has anyone done the dual PC setup with a computer as the 4c and the Summus 2C itself as the endpoint? I want IIS out from the endpoint to a Wyred 4 Sound 10th Anniversary dac. 

Thanks,