IGNORED

Euphony OS w/Stylus player setup and issues thread

11 hours ago, BCRich said:

Hey Guys, Thanks for all the responses. I have tried HQPe standalone and to be honest I prefer via Stylus. I have not tried as a UPNP Renderer. 

No one has all the answers let alone the right ones. Life is one continuous learning curve, no need to get aggressive. This is a hobby and nothing more.

If it comes down to it I will try the various methods suggested here. While my confidence might be a bit low these days I’m not giving up on the Euphony team.

Wondering what your experience /best settings found were with Stylus v4 up-sampling??

I initially wrote Stylus up-sampling off because it forced 32 bit to my 24 bit preferred DAC's but using it now to a 32 bit  Chord Mojo sounds promising.

HQPe is pretty good but I've never been able to warm to it as primary player, I mostly use it to play troubled recordings

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Wondering what your experience /best settings found were with Stylus v4 up-sampling??

I initially wrote Stylus up-sampling off because it forced 32 bit to my 24 bit preferred DAC's but using it now to a 32 bit  Chord Mojo sounds promising.

HQPe is pretty good but I've never been able to warm to it as primary player, I mostly use it to play troubled recordings

Hi David,

Here are my current HQPe settings and my Dac Diagnostics from my Signature Rendu SE Optical. To be honest I am not sure about the Bit Depth; I have a fairly new Bricasti M12 Controller, I have to double check its setting’s.

Edit: DAC is ADI 1955; Bit Depth is 24 Bit. Looks like HQP is sending it to 32 on my end as well Not sure the newer MDX Board comes into play here. Both manuals I’ve looked at online reflect those #’s but are dated 2016/2018. I have find the one that shipped with it. I’m pretty sure it is newer.

Either way I like how my system sounds using HQPe. If only Euphony gets it updated all would be perfect on my end.  Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Mike

444BA792-2D7D-4546-BB06-42073EF78760.png

24B4C01B-64AE-4886-83FC-36633C9432CB.png

2 hours ago, BCRich said:

Here are my current HQPe settings and my Dac Diagnostics from my Signature Rendu SE Optical. To be honest I am not sure about the Bit Depth; I have a fairly new Bricasti M12 Controller, I have to double check its setting’s.

Edit: DAC is ADI 1955; Bit Depth is 24 Bit. Looks like HQP is sending it to 32 on my end as well Not sure the newer MDX Board comes into play here. Both manuals I’ve looked at online reflect those #’s but are dated 2016/2018. I have find the one that shipped with it. I’m pretty sure it is newer.

Either way I like how my system sounds using HQPe. If only Euphony gets it updated all would be perfect on my end.  Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Mike

444BA792-2D7D-4546-BB06-42073EF78760.png

If Output Mode is SDM, then DAC Bits doesn't matter as DSD is being sent.

But for PCM output mode and AD1955, 24 is correct DAC Bits setting. You seem to have 20 bits set at the moment.

Most USB interfaces (XMOS, etc) present "32-bit" format, because it is most efficient for the microcontroller. However, it depends on the DAC behind the USB interface how many bits it can actually utilize. For AD1955 this is 24. The XMOS device could also express the actual resolution, but most DAC manufacturers don't bother, or don't have skills, to modify the USB firmware so that it would tell the correct figures. So the manual setting becomes useful in such cases.

Any S/PDIF or AES/EBU is maximum 24-bit. But since the interface is unidirectional, the device at the other end could be also 16, 18 or 20 -bit.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

17 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Ok, I only ask because one of the 2 people running it said: "Recently it is a problem to maintain this software on our system, and we are discussing this with Jussi."

There are differences from the default HQpe images... different GUI ID and password, no CLI access because Euphony has that locked down. Thank goodness Euphony

no longer tries to set HQPe config parameters within Stylus GUI as it did with v3. And if you support an integration, one can't just blindly update as  3rd party updates occur,

actual regression testing required just to make sure a change didn't break an assumption behind the coded software integration.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

9 hours ago, davide256 said:

There are differences from the default HQpe images... different GUI ID and password, no CLI access because Euphony has that locked down. Thank goodness Euphony

no longer tries to set HQPe config parameters within Stylus GUI as it did with v3. And if you support an integration, one can't just blindly update as  3rd party updates occur,

actual regression testing required just to make sure a change didn't break an assumption behind the coded software integration.

That makes some sense David.  Still, HQPlayer Embedded appears to be a feature they promote and I bet is very important to many users.  Arthur Power even sells HQPlayer Embedded licenses on his site (for the Euphony hardware).  So I would hope they would take the time to fix this.  And a year until updates appears to be very long on any account.

11 hours ago, davide256 said:

Thanks for the info.  Sounds pretty standard for software integration and updating. Nothing that can't be handled in a couple weeks.  Yes, the v3 config for HQPe was never stable. I always went into HQPe directly for that.

Two key factors which make me question Euphony's commitment to HQP.  In their release of v4 Euphony did not include a more current version.  Euphony did include their own upsampling and filtering that is tied to Mozzaik, also offering licensing to Mozzaik.  This is direct competition to HQP.

My gut tells me Euphony is partnering with Mozzaik for the future, not Jussi and HQP.  There's a song and dance going on to not upset customers.  Just a hunch and I'd like to be proven wrong.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

I don't really know much about Euphony, so I cannot comment on that respect.

11 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Ok, I only ask because one of the 2 people running it said: "Recently it is a problem to maintain this software on our system, and we are discussing this with Jussi."

@Miska Euphony's latest response to me was "it not our issue. It is HQPe integration issue. So we need to wait for Jussi."

If you aren't working with those at Euphony then I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm going to stop stirring the pot and hope that you both are working together.

Thanks for your help as always

43 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

@Miska Euphony's latest response to me was "it not our issue. It is HQPe integration issue. So we need to wait for Jussi."

If you aren't working with those at Euphony then I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm going to stop stirring the pot and hope that you both are working together.

I have not heard from Euphony in a while (some months) and nothing Euphony specific going on. I think their long standing goal has been to replace HQPlayer with something else.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

When I launch the latest version of Euphony Stylus it refuses to play music. I first have to relaunch the app to do so. I tried it several times and each time I have to relaunch the app again after closing and starting Euphony.

Are there more users who experienced this new bug?

20 minutes ago, bos3812 said:

When I launch the latest version of Euphony Stylus it refuses to play music. I first have to relaunch the app to do so. I tried it several times and each time I have to relaunch the app again after closing and starting Euphony.

Are there more users who experienced this new bug?

I would roll back and test and then try the update again. Make sure Ramroot is disabled before you try to update if you are using it.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

I have not heard from Euphony in a while (some months) and nothing Euphony specific going on. I think their long standing goal has been to replace HQPlayer with something else.

If Euphony stops supporting HQPlayer, that would be a game changer for me, and I would no longer subscribe to Euphony.  I tried the upsampler they charge for (Mozzaik), and for me it is not even close to HQPlayer.  For one, it only upsamples up to DSD 64.   I wish they would communicate with their customers more so we could better understand the roadmap going forward.  Thus far, I am not encouraged.

2 hours ago, Johnseye said:

Thanks for the info.  Sounds pretty standard for software integration and updating. Nothing that can't be handled in a couple weeks.  Yes, the v3 config for HQPe was never stable. I always went into HQPe directly for that.

Two key factors which make me question Euphony's commitment to HQP.  In their release of v4 Euphony did not include a more current version.  Euphony did include their own upsampling and filtering that is tied to Mozzaik, also offering licensing to Mozzaik.  This is direct competition to HQP.

My gut tells me Euphony is partnering with Mozzaik for the future, not Jussi and HQP.  There's a song and dance going on to not upset customers.  Just a hunch and I'd like to be proven wrong.

I didn't see your post before my most recent post.  What you say seems to make sense.  I tried Mozzaik and it is nowhere in the class of HQPlayer.  I think you are right about the song and dance going on regarding HQPlayer -- all of Euphony's responses have been very vague.  My feeling is that the customer needs to speak out and let them know about your feelings regarding their supported for HQPlayer.  I am hoping Arthur Power can comment about this since he sells HQPlayer embedded licenses for Euphony players.

4 hours ago, BCRich said:

I would roll back and test and then try the update again. Make sure Ramroot is disabled before you try to update if you are using it.

I went back to 221028 and installed the new version again. It didn't solve the problem. I use an Ipad for Euphony remote. Probably it has to do with the app software. I will send a ticket to Zeljko.

It was a great opportunity to listen a while to 221028 again. I heard another important difference between this version and the new version. The new version is definitely smoother, but it also loses some of the space rendering that 221028 is so good at. So it is a choice what is most important to you. I'll stick around with 221028 for a while and I'll listen to the new version again in a few days.

9 minutes ago, bos3812 said:

I went back to 221028 and installed the new version again. It didn't solve the problem. I use an Ipad for Euphony remote. Probably it has to do with the app software. I will send a ticket to Zeljko.

It sounds like there is a disconnect issue between the server and your dac. I was having a similar issue using HQP. I would have to restart the app to get sound again. The difference here is it wasn’t every time I went to use the app. I don’t think it’s app related; but who knows it could be.

Edit: have you tried re-booting everything? Components, Network etc.

7 minutes ago, BCRich said:

It sounds like there is a disconnect issue between the server and your dac. I was having a similar issue using HQP. I would have to restart the app to get sound again. The difference here is it wasn’t every time I went to use the app. I don’t think it’s app related; but who knows it could be.

Edit: have you tried re-booting everything? Components, Network etc.

I didn't have that issue with version 221028. I have the impression that Euphony starts up and shuts down faster with the new version, but I'm not sure. If so, something may have changed in the software that is causing the problem.

4 minutes ago, bos3812 said:

I didn't have that issue with version 221028. I have the impression that Euphony starts up and shuts down faster with the new version, but I'm not sure. If so, something may have changed in the software that is causing the problem.

Two questions; are you using the Euphony iOS App or connecting over IP in Safari? Are you shutting the Server Down or leaving it on 24/7?

14 minutes ago, BCRich said:

I know this wasn’t an issue previously….do you close out the app after you shut down?

Normally I do but when I restart Euphony without closing the app it doesn't matter. When I choose a song nothing happens. After restart the app I can play music. 

I’m gonna try to duplicate this….

I installed the iOS App. Re-booted my server; I left the app open in the background. The app refreshed itself once the server booted; it scanned my library, I add an album and it played. I had no issue.

I tried rebooting with an album in the queue but it cleared itself; I’m not buffering to ram due to HQPe interaction.

Try connecting to the server over IP in Safari; add a bookmark. See if that works any different

715D1BBE-E70B-4419-A6C9-C72FB7A1F7BB.png