IGNORED

Jim Austin is the new editor of Stereophile

3 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Just got in the May issue of Stereophile.

John Atkinson still listed at the top of the mast as Editor?

Austin still only as a contributing editor?

Jim took over at the end of March but, given the latency of print publishing, the first issue of his tenure will be the July issue.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

14 hours ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Jim took over at the end of March but, given the latency of print publishing, the first issue of his tenure will be the July issue.

That's correct. The June 2019 issue of Stereophile is my last as editor in chief and you will be able to read my farewell on p.3.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

6 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Would be really nice if you could be Technical Editor of Innerfidelity also... measurements have sadly stopped since Tyll retired..

Measurements are not the only thing that has stopped since Tyll retired...Hi Fi stopped and Audiophiledom stepped in.  Innerfidelity RIP 🙏🥀  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

On 4/17/2019 at 7:26 AM, John_Atkinson said:

That's correct. The June 2019 issue of Stereophile is my last as editor in chief and you will be able to read my farewell on p.3.

John Atkinson

Technical Editor, Stereophile

Hoping you will continue doing equipment measurement there.

They are the only thing that keeps me subscribing for many a year.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

3 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Hoping you will continue doing equipment measurement there.

They are the only thing that keeps me subscribing for many a year.

Sure, and you subscribed to Playboy for the articles...  x-D

John did say:

On 3/1/2019 at 3:18 PM, John_Atkinson said:

I will still be doing all the measurements to accompany Stereophile's reviews but now will have some time to do more in-depth investigation. ....

John Atkinson

(Soon to be Technical) Editor, Stereophile

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure, and you subscribed to Playboy for the articles...

Everyone enjoys a bit of fiction now and then

On 3/1/2019 at 6:18 PM, John_Atkinson said:

I will still be doing all the measurements to accompany Stereophile's reviews but now will have some time to do more in-depth investigation.

That's good to hear John. keep up the good work. 

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

17 hours ago, Sal1950 said:
20 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sure, and you subscribed to Playboy for the articles...

Everyone enjoys a bit of fiction now and then

Fiction?... Sal are you referring to "stories" in Playboy or the "anatomy" of some of the women? 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

2 hours ago, Sal1950 said:

Nope FD, now you know the reference was to some of the subjective reviews in Stereophile.

Here's a good example of high fiction,

https://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen

You have to dig all the way down into John Atkinson's measurements to find the reality,

"Using this long cable and my MacBook Pro running on battery power, I tested the Regen with a PS Audio PerfectWave DirectStream DAC and a Meridian Prime D/A headphone amplifier, using my Audio Precision SYS2722 analyzer and the same test signals I'd used for the JitterBug review. Sad to report, I found that the Regen made absolutely no difference in the D/A processors' analog output signals."
Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content/uptone-audio-usb-regen-measurements#DZVzOquGP2LkRw8y.99

Hi Sal. Do you consider Kal Rubinson's part of this review to be "high fiction"? If so, can you explain why?

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

or it could be that really well-designed gear does not need a Regen...

Probably this.  Well designed gear, properly implemented, without any "unusual" circumstances (such as living 10 feet from an AM broadcast station) can not benefit from USB decrapifier and similar gear because the digital signal is already reliable to a very significant degree.  

But that's High Fidelity, and not Audiophiledom.  In Audiophiledom the radical subjective listening session where anything and everything makes a subtle difference and is "reviewed" is what Stereophile is really about.  

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

On 4/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, crenca said:

Probably this.  Well designed gear, properly implemented, without any "unusual" circumstances (such as living 10 feet from an AM broadcast station) can not benefit from USB decrapifier and similar gear because the digital signal is already reliable to a very significant degree.  

But that's High Fidelity, and not Audiophiledom.  In Audiophiledom the radical subjective listening session where anything and everything makes a subtle difference and is "reviewed" is what Stereophile is really about.  

"" In Audiophiledom the radical subjective listening session ""

So funny, - sounds like the orange Trumpet. As if that was somehow "a thing."

On 4/25/2019 at 12:48 PM, Albrecht said:

"" In Audiophiledom the radical subjective listening session ""

So funny, - sounds like the orange Trumpet. As if that was somehow "a thing."

At Disney World they call it "Fantasy Land".  ;)