IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

Just now, PeterSt said:

Wrong. The spread in the food is very different for the larger grains vs the smaller, no matter the total weight is equal.

Indeed you are no cook. Nobody cares. But of course you are telling the cook that you know better.

Good thread.

Absolutely correct.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just now, mansr said:

Are you seriously claiming that if 1 gram of salt is dissolved in 1 litre of water and stirred, there will be some difference depending on the grain size of the salt? Do you also believe in homoeopathy?

Recipe calls for 1 gram of salt. 
I add one gram of fine grained table salt in at the beginning of the cooking process.

Make simultaneously another batch and add one gram of kosher salt in 2 minutes before the dish is plated and served. 
In both cases the salt is dissolved. 
The two dishes don't taste the same. 
Can you figure out why? 

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

Hey, I don't care about your childish outbursts. Keep answering. I'll  answer back just to annoy you, b/c you've asked for it. 

6 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

Did I misunderstand the title  and the context of the initial post of this thread?  Where are the words to let you think he wanted others' suggestion about cables in contradiction to the title?

the post is a sarcastic reaction to another thread where the OP asked about USB cable suggestions and specifically asked not to debate cables, and the post became a debate about cables

Real question: in a digital setup, why would anyone want to use a cable to color their sound instead of DSP? With  DSP you can see exactly what changes you are making and understand the relationship between the changes and what you hear.

With the cable you never understand exactly what is happening and why, and whether the result is a one off applicable only to a very specific setup. 

27 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

I wrote a very ling essay of which I decided to keep it put not post. So let me stick to :

Nothing is coloring. I even said so explicitly, of course assuming that everybody knows what "coloring" as such is.

The Lush^1 is just a cable.

The JSSG 360 tweak is just "a" tweak and it makes the Lush^1 sound better.

The Lush^2 is a 10,000+ cables, with configurations which sound better than the original Lush^1 and also better than the JSSG 360 variant which in the end is only one of those 10,000+ variants.

Of course, those who are pertinent about a USB cable not being able to influence SQ anyway, will also not be able to understand. So they didn't even start reading this. OK.

But those who are interested and have the experience that the USB cable indeed influences SQ (or the sound in general) may wonder which situation actually is the one with least distortion. Is it the $1 cable ? is the the Supra ? the Curious ? the XYZ^2^2 ? The Clairixa then ? (it should be because it was made for that).

What all of these cables have in common for "variance" is their focus on a frequency range. And these can even be "several". For now think reflections. And yes, I know, it is a digital cable (application).

Generally I have been talking about emphasis to the mid, to the low-highs (which I somehow don't call high-mid), the highs and also the bass. Yeah, that seems all together. But the stupidity of the thing is that when the emphasis goes to the bass alone, you may have better bass (not coloring) but less mid and highs because that is how it works out. So the skill is to find a configuration where (e.g.) a voice is not singing on its own because the bass lines are there for a reason just the same.

Of course we can't tune for a voice etc. And of course that could better be done with DSP. One thing : DSP destroys (it would be the clear contrary of what I hunt for, starting with non-ringing filters) and this is not destructive at all. Unless, of course, we select a configuration of the shielding where all the highs are muffled.

Anyway, similar to Operating System tweaks, this is nothing like bass and treble knobs and also nothing like the best PEQs and room correction and what not.

So it is just many cables, and one may color more than the other if that is really how you like to interpret it. Ditch the one which colors too much. Keep the one with the best mid, if that is what you're after.

Or wait until someone finds "that cable" which has all good.

Having said this all, why would anyone want to use a cable to color their sound instead of DSP? -> because a. I don't like DSP and b. because DSP would be dialing in the blind (unless with room correction which I also don't like) and merely :

c. because we're after the best reproduction. This is not about adding color - it is about removing it.

Ad c., example :

If a combo with bass and voice play together, someone (like a sound engineer) should have set them up so that the one does not overvoice the other. And for example, when the bass with say 50Hz shows 2nd harmonic distortion, it will show 100Hz and interferes with the voice which also plays there. This, while in reality both did not interfere. The trick for this example is thus the undistorted bass and not letting the voice come forward. That would work too, but it will not imply the proper balance.

Peter

Thanks for your thorough answer. 
We will have agree to disagree on one point: I'd still call what the cable does coloring. I understand why you don't. We have a different definition of what the word means in this context.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, wwaldmanfan said:

I saw McDonald's on the Av. des Champs-Élysées in Paris 35 years ago, and the line was out the door. This surprised me. Either it was an "American novelty" back then, or there for the benefit of foreign tourists too intimidated to appreciate the unique local cuisine. I have a friend like that and it ultimately cost him his first marriage. His wife was a gourmet cook. His favorite food is hot dogs. She remarried someone more sophisticated, and moved to Switzerland, and he's now on wife #3.

France is  McDonalds' second best market after the US  and it is very successful there. France is not the same as it was 40 years ago.
https://www.businessinsider.com/how-mcdonalds-conquered-france-2014-8?op=1

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2012/01/24/145698222/why-mcdonalds-in-france-doesnt-feel-like-fast-food

10 hours ago, esldude said:

Many home ovens don't really get hot enough to do pizza properly. Most charcoal grills can get very hot; I've done pizza on a grill and it works very well. You just have to be careful b/c it is ready much faster than in most ovens.