IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

On 3/9/2019 at 4:28 AM, PeterSt said:

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W
This showed a super sound.

I've had doubts about this USB cable, but this last configuration changed it all. A serious foot tapping-engaging and fun sounding cable. Also, that somehow mushy sound with the other configuration is totally gone and there are definitely more details and a holographic soundstage with a wetter sound. The bass is to die for! Well done!

I actually configured this incorrectly at first, having A: B-W-Y-R and B: B-W instead of A: B-W & Y-R and B: B-W.  I was really enjoying it in my system until I realized my mistake.  I then changed it and found I much preferred the first configuration, at least in my system.  More focused.  Vocals more forward etc.

Colin

1 hour ago, frederick184 said:

I actually configured this incorrectly at first, having A: B-W-Y-R and B: B-W

Hi Colin - thank you for sharing.

From my notes this is my own description of A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W :

----

Marvelous sound which keeps on being strange. Listened to it for well over a week, to after that decide it is time for something which doesn't carry doubts.

----

By now I forgot a bit, but something about your brain not being able to cope with everything always. I recall I could not point it out.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

1) I think that my system is sounding super well.

2) I just plug my new second Lush^2 🤗 (replacing a first generation Lush)

• So now: SOtM tX-USBexp PCI express USB 3.0 with sCLK-48.0 >  Lush^2  >  ISO-Regen  >  Lush^2  >  T+A DAC 8 DSD
  • All Lush^2 at current default (A: B-W-Y-R,  B: B-W-R)

3) 24H of non-stop burn-in without listening

4) Well, how to say that: Wow WOw WOW: Shamanising 😀 my 😀 hearing 😀 system 😀 or 😀so?

• More presence of instruments
  • Richer grain
  • More Texture
  • Soundstage wider and deeper
  • Balanced energy

My lush 1 cable with DIY shielding has been in the default Lush 2 (A: B-W-Y-R,  B: B-W-R) configuration for months. This was a nice improvement my my original jssg360 configuration.

Just for grins after reading recent posts I thought I'd try the (A: B-W & Y-R and B: B-W) configuration.

What a disaster! This sounded horrible, flat, thin and dead. Afraid that it was broken for good I did the world's fastest shield reconfig back to the default. Happily it worked and all is good again.

Scary!

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

13 hours ago, lmitche said:

Just for grins after reading recent posts I thought I'd try the (A: B-W & Y-R and B: B-W) configuration.

What a disaster! This sounded horrible, flat, thin and dead. Afraid that it was broken for good I did the world's fastest shield reconfig back to the default. Happily it worked and all is good again.

@lmitche's observation prompted me to try an experiment last night. Reminder: I am using the term PNF ("Peter's New Favorite") as shorthand for the above-quoted config. Since Mar 9th, my audio chain has been...

ultraRendu  >  L^2 (PNF)  >  ISO-Regen  >  L^2 (default)  >  DAC

...begging the question what would happen if I used PNF on both L^2s? So I tried it... and...

My reaction was similar to lmitche's. It seemed as if some sort of phase cancellation was occurring and the result was anemic, chaotic, and unpleasant. I quickly reconfigured my 2nd L^2 back to the default, and the superb (literally best ever) sound I've been enjoying for the last week once again began flowing from my speakers.

On 3/15/2019 at 1:55 AM, Gato said:

• So now: SOtM tX-USBexp PCI express USB 3.0 with sCLK-48.0 >  Lush^2  >  ISO-Regen  >  Lush^2  >  T+A DAC 8 DSD
  • All Lush^2 at current default (A: B-W-Y-R,  B: B-W-R) 

@Gato -- if you're willing to try PNF on the L^2 between the SOtM and the ISO-R, I would be interested in your reaction. Like you I was quite happy w/ the default config on both my L^2s and didn't think there could possibly be any improvement... until I heard it for myself.

@Gato -- thank you for such a detailed description. We are fortunate to have in the L^2 such a wide range of options, the ability to easily make changes for comparison purposes, and ultimately arrive at the best configuration for our own systems.

Reminder: my current setup is...

Your remarks prompted me to temporarily revert to this...

ultraRendu  >  L^2 (default)  >  ISO-Regen  >  L^2 (default)  >  DAC

...and my reaction was quite different from yours. On my system, and to my ears, while the above is "very good", this...

...is extraordinary. I find it to be more dynamic, engaging and pleasurable, across a wide range of music.

Greetings fellow Lushites. 🖖  

While I am quite tardy to the ^2 party I’ve been enjoying my orig version since early in its appearance.  I even started a thread way back when on using the Lush in conjunction with the Uptone isoRegen.  I am happy to state that just a couple of hours ago I took delivery of of a 70cm Lush^2. 

I had it in the system for less than an hour when I, just for the hell of it and not expecting much, sat down to listen. While I have not put the Lush1 back in, I sure am happy with what I am hearing - and this is w/o the LPS-1 fed isoRegen in the line. Knowing that this is likely to get even better puts a BIG smile on my face.  

Now I am reading about the "PFN" config which I would LOVE to try - though not until I’ve at least 100 hours on this new cable. Honestly, I am a bit unclear on understanding what the A: B-W & Y-R translates to.  Of course it is USB:A connector, but the “&” is throwing me. The B: B-W seems clearly to indicate that only the black and white are connected.  

A picture may be worth many words in this case.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Already glad I finally did this ,,,, but I would not at all mind getting ever gladder. 😁

@Doak

I'm not at home to take a picture, but the basic idea is that you always start from the pin with the red dot on both the "USB-A" and "USB-B" ends of the L^2. Let's call the pin w/ the red dot "pin 1".

The six pins you see on each end are electrically grouped into (starting from pin 1) four and two, so when someone posts a config like "A: B-W-Y-R", they're saying (on the "USB-A" side of the cable) connect those four wires to the first four pins... the exact order doesn't matter, as long as all four wires end up on the first four pins. If they post "A: B-W & Y-R", that means connect B and W to pins 1 and 2, and Y and R to pins 5 and 6. Hope this helps.

37 minutes ago, FileMakerDev said:

@Doak

I'm not at home to take a picture, but the basic idea is that you always start from the pin with the red dot on both the "USB-A" and "USB-B" ends of the L^2. Let's call the pin w/ the red dot "pin 1".

The six pins you see on each end are electrically grouped into (starting from pin 1) four and two, so when someone posts a config like "A: B-W-Y-R", they're saying (on the "USB-A" side of the cable) connect those four wires to the first four pins... the exact order doesn't matter, as long as all four wires end up on the first four pins. If they post "A: B-W & Y-R", that means connect B and W to pins 1 and 2, and Y and R to pins 5 and 6. Hope this helps.

Got it. 

Should be all I need, friend.

Thank You. 

Haha, but as said, I applied it to a special processor (configuration) which otherwise would not sound right at all.

Absolution ? o.O

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Having logged at least 150 hours with the default config with plenty of listening along the way, I am now in the very early stage of experiencing the PFN config. Might I expect that this change will take some time to settle-in? Initial listening after reconfig has been somewhat of a sonic roller coaster ride - though at the moment I’d describe what I’m hearing as SPECTACULAR. 

8 hours ago, Doak said:

Might I expect that this change will take some time to settle-in?

Nope. Should be instant.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm MU1 > (Sablon 2020 AES) > Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Focal Sopra No2 speakers

12 hours ago, Doak said:

Might I expect that this change will take some time to settle-in?

My experience with PNF config was noticing the bass change immediately. Beyond that I believe with this and any other configs I've tried, that there is a period, up to days for me, for "settle-in". Whether it's me settling in or the cable itself, it's always been a matter of days before everything seems consistent again. Nothing dramatic.

2 hours ago, lasker98 said:

My experience with PNF config was noticing the bass change immediately. Beyond that I believe with this and any other configs I've tried, that there is a period, up to days for me, for "settle-in". Whether it's me settling in or the cable itself, it's always been a matter of days before everything seems consistent again. Nothing dramatic.

Yes, thanks. I was planning to post about this effect very possibly being me/my ears settling in rather than the cable. As the day went on yesterday the sound appeared to be more consistent.