IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

Yes the configuration that I'm stuck on is...

The pictures upthread is correct!

A: B-W-Y B: B-W

As noted by Peter it just has something special I so far tried 18 different configurations and they lack something.  This ones grabs the listener because of its clarity in the vocal, imaging, and being able to bring up certain frequency ranges that let you hear something you otherwise didn't hear before.  I haven't noticed a buzzing in the low end as Peter put it I probably need to listen more. 

Peter could you list the track you used that led you to hear this "buzz" so I can see if I'm hearing the same?

I been stuck on DCD for last week listening to the SACD's and the original CD releases.  I used to prefer the SACD's but I'm leaning more towards the original CD releases they just sound more balanced.  SACD's are to load to forward with a focus on upper frequency range to my ear.

16 hours ago, PeterSt said:

@kurb1980

Especially this latter one intrigues me largely, already because I never experienced that. But further more and more importantly: in a fashion which did not disturb me, no matter how hard I tried to find it wrong. The most strange thing is that while the depth of stage is as flat as maybe a few feet, the speakers are totally undetectable. What adds to this is the wide sound stage (well beyond the speakers, never mind all those who claim this can't exist). So it is the whole presentation which is new to me.

Sorry to interrupt, but this sounds very promising - what is missing is the depth; I have never experienced such a presentation ... a thought, because this is exactly what I would focus on: once a setting has been made, I would secure all the free bits of cable in that area so that it was a tight bundle - think of doing the equivalent to dipping the whole settings area in a setting resin, so everything is locked into position.

11 hours ago, sig8 said:

I don't know but @kurb1980 said B:BW, and you are doing B:B-W. Two different things if I understand it correctly.

Hi - Both are exactly the same. The hyphen is there to explicitly tell you that the both are connected. Thus B-W means: Black and White are connected.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

11 hours ago, bluebeat said:

Is A: B-W-Y B: B-W you're using now the same config as you both discussed in this thread on November 16th? Looks like that to me - then revisiting it was worthwhile I guess.

Well, what a mess with these configurations. So yes, that's what it looks like eh ?

On 11/16/2018 at 7:54 AM, PeterSt said:
On 11/16/2018 at 4:25 AM, kurb1980 said:

but I’m intrigued about...

A: B-W-Y B: B-W

My own description of this one was this :

Marvelous sound which keeps on being strange. Listened to it for well over a week, to after that decide it is time for something which doesn't carry doubts.

and I recall that others just similarly. I revisited that one the other day, but it didn't last long.

But no, because I checked day before yesterday in my document and this one is not there. So at the copying a mistake has been made, with the notice that the forum software has huge issues with semicolons (they trigger something and change text on the fly when the semi colons are not used as expected). So this very same text "Marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" etc., is noted under this one:

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W

The combination it is about today, I had never tried ...

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Tried the @kurb1980 configuration, and at first listening it sounds somewhat flat to me. The depth of stage is gone. Am I supposed to burn in every single configuration?

So ...

19 hours ago, PeterSt said:

- Depth is very shallow. All plays at the level of the speakers themselves.

The most strange thing is that while the depth of stage is as flat as maybe a few feet, the speakers are totally undetectable.

The way I think about these matters is that the relatively flat layer of depth now contains all the music

So I guess I noticed that too. :P

XXHighEnd (developer)

8 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

Am I supposed to burn in every single configuration?

I didn't really notice that previously, and maybe it depends on the configuration itself, but with this one it really looks like it.

This is what I put in my notes just now:

Jan 14, 2019 (advised by kurb1980 on Jan 9, 2019)
A: B-W-Y, B: B-W
The best sound ever. Very shallow-depth stage, but with that containing all the energy in a small space, that doing something ...
This was at the 2nd day – the first I didn't notice much change compared to the current best one. However, at the third day I was driven completely crazy by it. Way too much energy in everything. Painful, actually.

And so ... that was it for this one, and for me. I would now call it the worst sound ever. And so much so that it would be impossible to survive an other day of "burn in" or whatever exactly happens to let this so much fail after a third day of it. I will try it tonight though, before reverting to A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R.  

Further description

The buzzing is now (third day) in everything. No need to give examples. It is s sheer electrifying of the worst kind. And so much so that I again wonder what actually can cause this. So yes, I gave the description of all playing in this small space, energy not getting lost etc. and although this is a nice description from some layman (me), I wonder how much truth can be in it for real.

Already yesterday I described it as "fighting for space". This was meant positively. Today I would write the very same but now with as much negative impact as I am capable of. It now comes across as: 10 times too much current "applied" and this is what you hear throughout. Sadly I am a bit less than a layman on this, and current does not get "applied". It can be "drawn in" though. Something like a huge groundloop, but with the notice that nothing of this as such is audible when no music plays (and my 118dB speakers, amplification always at full gain will show such fairly quick).

Through all the misery the extra information was still all over. So yes, this config unveils a lot and at relatively all frequencies. Also, all stays loose hence there's much air in everything. But it now sounds literally electrical. Hey, maybe it is about humidity (I just looked, 43% at this moment).

If I was to describe what happened to me, then I would say something like: Although nothing sounds sharp or anything, it tires within seconds because of some inherent "frequency" in everything, which we could call "buzzing". It is nothing like standing waves because it now is not really related to where you are in the room. It feels like what could be done with sound in warfare. It is literally killing.

10 times too much information for the brain to cope. And still, when I were to detect what was actually wrong, I couldn't do it (I tried for real).

Squeeze all the (SPL) energy in a few cubic feet and let it play there. Still there are no walls around it. It just can't be. You virtually see it glowing being explosive to get out of that cube.

I will repeat: I have the explicit experience with mapping the sound in larger or smaller spaces and have an idea what it does to accuracy (the more spread the less accurate). I never had it in a "depth of nothing" though. I'm also thinking about the crazy width and how it comes across as not being able to stay in normal fashion between the speakers. It has to go to somewhere (thus to the sides).

But all this is too crazy to normally think of. Anyway, you could try to think of the "energy does not get lost" thing, and once you really perceive the shallow depth (which then physically is really so - I mean, where the music plays mostly ?) it should be related to that nice law. And from there my reasoning follows. Or your own.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Hello, I've been lurking and experimenting since receiving my Lush^2 a couple weeks ago, using the various recipes posted here as my guide. I've tried 7 different configurations, and this one sounds best on my system.

A: B-W-R    B: B-W

My audio chain is UltraRendu > Lush^2 > ISORegen > Light Harmonic Lightspeed > DAC

Like @austinpop, I expected to place the Lush^2 between the IR and the DAC, but was surprised to discover that I prefer it between the UR and IR by a considerable margin.

6 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I didn't really notice that previously, and maybe it depends on the configuration itself, but with this one it really looks like it.

This is what I put in my notes just now:

Jan 14, 2019 (advised by kurb1980 on Jan 9, 2019)
A: B-W-Y, B: B-W
The best sound ever. Very shallow-depth stage, but with that containing all the energy in a small space, that doing something ...
This was at the 2nd day – the first I didn't notice much change compared to the current best one. However, at the third day I was driven completely crazy by it. Way too much energy in everything. Painful, actually.

And so ... that was it for this one, and for me. I would now call it the worst sound ever. And so much so that it would be impossible to survive an other day of "burn in" or whatever exactly happens to let this so much fail after a third day of it. I will try it tonight though, before reverting to A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R.  

Further description

The buzzing is now (third day) in everything. No need to give examples. It is s sheer electrifying of the worst kind. And so much so that I again wonder what actually can cause this. So yes, I gave the description of all playing in this small space, energy not getting lost etc. and although this is a nice description from some layman (me), I wonder how much truth can be in it for real.

Already yesterday I described it as "fighting for space". This was meant positively. Today I would write the very same but now with as much negative impact as I am capable of. It now comes across as: 10 times too much current "applied" and this is what you hear throughout. Sadly I am a bit less than a layman on this, and current does not get "applied". It can be "drawn in" though. Something like a huge groundloop, but with the notice that nothing of this as such is audible when no music plays (and my 118dB speakers, amplification always at full gain will show such fairly quick).

Through all the misery the extra information was still all over. So yes, this config unveils a lot and at relatively all frequencies. Also, all stays loose hence there's much air in everything. But it now sounds literally electrical. Hey, maybe it is about humidity (I just looked, 43% at this moment).

If I was to describe what happened to me, then I would say something like: Although nothing sounds sharp or anything, it tires within seconds because of some inherent "frequency" in everything, which we could call "buzzing". It is nothing like standing waves because it now is not really related to where you are in the room. It feels like what could be done with sound in warfare. It is literally killing.

10 times too much information for the brain to cope. And still, when I were to detect what was actually wrong, I couldn't do it (I tried for real).

Squeeze all the (SPL) energy in a few cubic feet and let it play there. Still there are no walls around it. It just can't be. You virtually see it glowing being explosive to get out of that cube.

I will repeat: I have the explicit experience with mapping the sound in larger or smaller spaces and have an idea what it does to accuracy (the more spread the less accurate). I never had it in a "depth of nothing" though. I'm also thinking about the crazy width and how it comes across as not being able to stay in normal fashion between the speakers. It has to go to somewhere (thus to the sides).

But all this is too crazy to normally think of. Anyway, you could try to think of the "energy does not get lost" thing, and once you really perceive the shallow depth (which then physically is really so - I mean, where the music plays mostly ?) it should be related to that nice law. And from there my reasoning follows. Or your own.

Peter

I reverted back to A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R. This combo suits me better. The Focal Utopia headphones are known for an intimate and relatively small soundstage, and the  kurb1980 configuration makes it congested. On the other hand, clarity is a major upside of these headphones, so I am not looking for additional clarity. The Utopia's are extremely capable when it comes to depth and layering, and I feel I am losing those with that configuration.

Different strokes for different folks.

My setup: Sony WM1A DAP (acting as server) -> Sony BCR-NWH10 docking station with built in USB filter -> Lush^2 USB cable -> Sony TA-ZH1ES headphone amp/DAC -> Focal Utopia 

8 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Well, what a mess with these configurations. So yes, that's what it looks like eh ?

But no, because I checked day before yesterday in my document and this one is not there. So at the copying a mistake has been made, with the notice that the forum software has huge issues with semicolons (they trigger something and change text on the fly when the semi colons are not used as expected). So this very same text "Marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" etc., is noted under this one:

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W

The combination it is about today, I had never tried ...

Hi Peter.

Ive been happy with mine as configured when bought (November?) Could I make a request? As OP you can edit the starting note, could you add a footnote, something like

"as of  {date} the preferred configuration all Lush 2's are shipped with is _____"   Or if you maintain something on your site, perhaps add that specific link? 

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

16 minutes ago, davide256 said:

As OP you can edit the starting note

Good idea. I just did so.

Thank you, David.

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 9/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, PeterSt said:

Haha. Lush^2 is technically exactly the same as the Lush-JSSG-360 with :

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W & Y-R

Just tried the JSSG-360 configuration and it sounds very good indeed.

However, it seems that the width of the stage is suffering, while the centre image is perfectly focused.

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Peter

And add the photo? Thank you

MAIN: Sonore Optical Module Deluxe/Farad Super 3 (7v) > Uptone EtherRegen/Farad Super 3(9v)/AfterDark Emperor Signature/Farad Super 3 (12v) > Innuos Zenith MKII SE (ER A) > ER (B) > Meitner MA-3 DAC > Ayre K-5xe MP Preamplifier > Ayre VX-5 Twenty Amplifier  > Vandersteen Quatro Woods

POWER: AQ Niagara 5000 > AQ (Hurricane)/Triode Wire Labs/Shunyata Python/Nordost Blue Heaven/Audience AU24 SE/Audio Sensibilities Sig Silver

CABLING: Silversmith Audio Fidelium Speaker/Sablon Pantela Reserva 2020 Lan/Ghent JSSG360 Cat 6/AQ Earth & Pegasus/Aurelis Deuland 75ohm

ISOLATION: Stillpoints/Symposium/IsoAcoustics/Herbie's/PS Audio Powerbase

After couple of weeks with the A:B-W-Y B:B-W and most recently last night I noticed that the soundstage presentation on my hd800's is strange.  By this I mean it feels very rectangular the left and right feel very wide but the depth front to back is very narrow.  This puts the vocals really up front almost dead center in your head.  Headphone users will now what I mean this can work for albums that highlight the vocals.  I think its time to move on to another configuration...  

@kurb1980, For me you deserve praise for trying out that I myself don't even do. I think yours is so special that it deserves closer attention.

But then at times I am up to it myself.

A:B-Y, B:

That's what came from this tonight. Also not too much of depth, but unnoticeably lovely. Maybe you can try it.

XXHighEnd (developer)

16 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:

My audio chain is UltraRendu > Lush^2 > ISORegen > Light Harmonic Lightspeed > DAC

Like @austinpop, I expected to place the Lush^2 between the IR and the DAC, but was surprised to discover that I prefer it between the UR and IR by a considerable margin.

That's cool.  Perhaps now might be a good time for @PeterSt to at last burn-in and give a listen to the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 bundle (that we traded to him for two Lush^2 cables months ago).  But then he might go mad with more combinations to experiment with! :D 

Of course I truly understand the limits of available time, as I myself have never had a chance to even once change my Lush^2 from the configuration it shipped in way back then (the paper says it shipped: A: B-Y & W-R,  B: B-Y).

From the above bi-continental experiments of the past couple of days, am I correct that Peter et al are now most preferring 

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R ?   Or should I go to the discussed and pictured A: B-W-Y B: B-W ?

I'm so confused...:S

3 hours ago, Superdad said:
20 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:

That's cool.  Perhaps now might be a good time for @PeterSt to at last burn-in and give a listen to the ISO REGEN/UltraCap LPS-1.2 bundle (that we traded to him for two Lush^2 cables months ago).  But then he might go mad with more combinations to experiment with! :D 

Forgot to mention... the UR and the IR are each powered by their own LPS 1.2.

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

am I correct that Peter et al are now most preferring 

A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R ?

Since October each Lush^2 ships with this and this is because prior to that there was consensus that at that moment people preferred this (including me). My notes tell me that this is since Sept. 21, 2018. And from that moment on it all went completely quiet (see this thread). So people stopped experimenting, and people also stopped other configurations right out of the box. OR ... we just don't hear about it any more.

22 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:

Hello, I've been lurking and experimenting since receiving my Lush^2 a couple weeks ago, using the various recipes posted here as my guide. I've tried 7 different configurations, and this one sounds best on my system.

A: B-W-R    B: B-W

But there's one. :) (it is on my list to try)

5 hours ago, Superdad said:

Of course I truly understand the limits of available time

It is not about that, or not really. Btw, measuring the lost, *that* is about time. This though is about the impossibility because of required references. Those who follow the Phasure forum will understand how hugely impacting the various matters are. To give an example of the latest: I now found XXHighEnd settings - with means in there for 10 years already - which present a so much different sound, that it takes a month to get used to (all for the better) and "make it your reference". This is the following up from again an other set of settings which was "invented" 4 months or so ago. Again for the enormously better, but with small struggle here and there (say a particular album didn't work any more, while it always did). All together now 5 months and "we" feel it is done again. So this is not 5 months of time, but 5 months of not being able to because the current setting isn't settled yet. This time is so long that meanwhile PC parts run EOL and have to be exchanged with new and which *has* to be listened to. This will happen today (if the new part rolls in). And people who are waiting for the PC (Stealth III) know that they are waiting. I know it too.

Now try to delegate such tasks to a second you. Finally something which is sheerly impossible.

I could attempt the above differently:

Suppose the ISO REGEN/Ultracap LPS-1.2 (which sits right in front of my nose on my desk, really) at first worked out like I described about kurb's configuration. And why not. Everything matters hugely these days, and it's not done in a wimp to have it corrected. What would people expect ? tweak and twist and turn to get that configuration right for, what, weeks ? I suppose that too can be done, some how (just create a pile of new prerequisites afterwards which will suit all - haha). Or ... be done with it, tell about it and on to the next little project ?

Not-allowed. Not with this.

XXHighEnd (developer)

9 hours ago, FrankMA said:
14 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Peter

And add the photo? Thank you

Also a good idea. Done that now too.

XXHighEnd (developer)