IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

8 hours ago, kurb1980 said:

A:B-W-Y B:B-W and most recently last night I noticed that the soundstage presentation on my hd800's is strange.  By this I mean it feels very rectangular the left and right feel very wide but the depth front to back is very narrow.

I love this. I mean, go figure how it is possible that a stupid USB cable which isn't supposed to do anything in the first place, is configurable for sound and it works out the same at everybody's ("mostly" to stay on a safe side). And while I was able to describe an in fact same rectangle (1 foot deep and on the speaker's plane extending to the left and right of them), I did this from mid air, while with headphones it apparently works out the same.

I had my "blahblah" reasoning about fighting for space etc., but this was in mid air. So how would that work with headphones ? From the both same "physical" work outs should be concluded that at least my reasoning is not correct. And because I have now (high quality) experience with headphones, there it stops for me. But the data that it works out the same in both situations, is crucial ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Haven't completely taken in A: B-W-Y B: B-W yet, but shure enough soundstage is very wide. I like that, but it might be too much in the long run. Little depth, check. Very noticable, but doesn't bother me that much ... yet. More balance i.e. less emphasis on drums and bass compared to A:B-W-Y-R, B :B-W-R, which is good, I'm with kurb1980, sounds like a weird kind of EQ-ing to me. No buzzing effects as PeterSt described.

I'm likely to try someting else this weekend for comparisons sake, I'm curious what A: B-W-R B: B-W, that FileMakerDev uses, brings to the table. And of course A: B-W B: - that PeterSt suggested.

But so far I think A: B-Y & W-R B : B-Y sounded best to me, though still a bit to much emphasis on drums and bass, presentationwise.

To be continued ...

On 1/16/2019 at 10:39 PM, FileMakerDev said:

I've tried 7 different configurations, and this one sounds best on my system.

A: B-W-R    B: B-W 

FWIW, the reason I've, for the time being at any rate, settled on this is that, according to my listening notes, it strikes a good balance between the "marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" of A:B-W-Y B:B-W (Peter's description) and the clarity and dynamic slam of A:B-W,R-Y B:B-W

8 hours ago, FileMakerDev said:

it strikes a good balance between the "marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" of A:B-W-Y B:B-W (Peter's description) and the clarity and dynamic slam of A:B-W,R-Y B:B-W

Hmm ... This brings me unconsciously to the very first description I have written in my notes"

-----

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W
This showed a super sound.
It completely changes the sound from a somewhat congested (too white) highs to ever so lasting colored cymbals. Btw, this is what I had in mind with it for a change (I found the highs too profound).
What came with it is a super fluid/liquid bass which sings and plays music. I actually never experienced the bass like that.

-----

with the notice that the emphasis in the quote is about the same as this first one in my list (the swap of the Y-R does not make any difference).

What could be important is that this was my first attempt of changing things, and it doesn't even mention what I had prior to that. But it also doesn't show something wrong, and in my further notes I never refer to it. And the next one up is exactly this "marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" and which I listened to for a week and then I went on with a next. The conclusion of this could be that the one above "this showed a super sound" is well worth revisiting. I mean, there is no negative aspect mentioned, which all of the others do, more or less. Apart from the currently shipped one (since October, the A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R) and which everybody settles for.

So if I were myself O.o I would now compare to the very first one I liked ("This showed super sound"). There's also a chance that by burn-in did a few things.

XXHighEnd (developer)

This one as announced. 3 days in, but good enough for a description:

Jan. 17, 2019
A:B-Y, B:
Eh ... so far so good ?
3 days in, this one is quite interesting because it brings a fairly dose of good natural sound, not too forward and if anything a bit too far away but not disturbing. Highs are the most natural and cause a super easy to follow lyrics.
Very rarely I may notice a raspiness in the highs but it feels like without this it would go really wrong (as in "sharp").
This one should be illegal because it doesn't connect the shield through, at least not as how I designed  it for the NOS1 (YMMV). With that, I have the idea that making the connection is not as easy as "normal" (no handshake) but I ever experienced a lost (or poor) connection, once established. What could technically be said about this one is that current which may flow over the shield and which may end with coupling in to the DAC, now is not (with possible other side effects, but alas).

On 1/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, bluebeat said:

And of course A: B-W B: - that PeterSt suggested.

I don't think I said that (B-W really is to be B-Y) . But this crazy stuff seems undoable for writing down decently. I just did it wrongly 3 or 4 times, again.

XXHighEnd (developer)

4 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Hmm ... This brings me unconsciously to the very first description I have written in my notes"

-----

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W
This showed a super sound.
It completely changes the sound from a somewhat congested (too white) highs to ever so lasting colored cymbals. Btw, this is what I had in mind with it for a change (I found the highs too profound).
What came with it is a super fluid/liquid bass which sings and plays music. I actually never experienced the bass like that.

-----

with the notice that the emphasis in the quote is about the same as this first one in my list (the swap of the Y-R does not make any difference).

What could be important is that this was my first attempt of changing things, and it doesn't even mention what I had prior to that. But it also doesn't show something wrong, and in my further notes I never refer to it. And the next one up is exactly this "marvelous sound which keeps on being strange" and which I listened to for a week and then I went on with a next. The conclusion of this could be that the one above "this showed a super sound" is well worth revisiting. I mean, there is no negative aspect mentioned, which all of the others do, more or less. Apart from the currently shipped one (since October, the A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R) and which everybody settles for.

So if I were myself O.o I would now compare to the very first one I liked ("This showed super sound"). There's also a chance that by burn-in did a few things.

After additional testing this morning, all I can say is that A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R definitely rules them all. It is the most fluid, the most effortless, with great depth and ease, without glare, without a trace of harshness. Beautiful. No wonder the majority chose this configuration.

A quick (genuine) question to all you Lushers.  I need a new USB cable, and I am tempted by the Lush 2 due to the provenance of the JSGG 360 shielding, rather than it being something to endlessly experiment with.  Is it still worth the price of entry?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

56 minutes ago, Confused said:

Is it still worth the price of entry?

Nothing for me to answer. It is only that the JSSG 360 shielding "we" refer to, is mostly about that for the original Lush. So if you have the original Lush (I can't tell for your "Confused" nick) it will be apples with apples and then the price for the "endlessly experiments" is 50 euros. Thus get the original Lush for 50 less, spend 20-30 or so for materials incl. shipping, have some fun for a day and have one configuration. Then we of course start finding again better ones, and you have a nice Sunday again (including a tad of frustration, perhaps).

Anyway the gross difference is 50, so IMO it is about that for consideration. I'll leave it happily to others to judge about that extra 50.

A bit of a different answer could be that -as we found out- it is not about the JSSG 360 at all. That is just one configuration out of the so many. And if I try that one (out of all available) it is "just one" with "a" sound. And this by guarantee is not the best, or else it would be so super coincidental ... impossible.

Btw, I see that I didn't even document the original JSSG 360 config, which would be A:B-W & Y-R, B: B-W & Y-R. I'd say I have listened to that, but if so indeed it probably wasn't the best at all, or else I had documented it. Anyone else

XXHighEnd (developer)

32 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

Nothing for me to answer. It is only that the JSSG 360 shielding "we" refer to, is mostly about that for the original Lush. So if you have the original Lush (I can't tell for your "Confused" nick) it will be apples with apples and then the price for the "endlessly experiments" is 50 euros. Thus get the original Lush for 50 less, spend 20-30 or so for materials incl. shipping, have some fun for a day and have one configuration. Then we of course start finding again better ones, and you have a nice Sunday again (including a tad of frustration, perhaps).

Anyway the gross difference is 50, so IMO it is about that for consideration. I'll leave it happily to others to judge about that extra 50.

A bit of a different answer could be that -as we found out- it is not about the JSSG 360 at all. That is just one configuration out of the so many. And if I try that one (out of all available) it is "just one" with "a" sound. And this by guarantee is not the best, or else it would be so super coincidental ... impossible.

Btw, I see that I didn't even document the original JSSG 360 config, which would be A:B-W & Y-R, B: B-W & Y-R. I'd say I have listened to that, but if so indeed it probably wasn't the best at all, or else I had documented it. Anyone else

No, I don’t have the original Lush, and who knows, I might be tempted to experiment every now and again.😉  So I guess I’m just wondering how good the cable is in absolute terms versus other similarly priced offerings.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

No, I don’t have the original Lush, and who knows, I might be tempted to experiment every now and again.😉  So I guess I’m just wondering how good the cable is in absolute terms versus other similarly priced offerings.

I have the Lush^2, the original Lush, the Curious cable and the Sablon Reserva.

I haven't changed the Lush^2 config for months and probably won't unless a few people say a new config is better still.

I also haven't considered taking the Lush^2 out my system because it sounds terrific. It's a great cable and there's no need to experiment, unless you want to.

The Lush^2 brings a great sense of musicality and separation of instruments and voices. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

5 hours ago, AmusedToD said:

After additional testing this morning, all I can say is that A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R definitely rules them all. It is the most fluid, the most effortless, with great depth and ease, without glare, without a trace of harshness. Beautiful. No wonder the majority chose this configuration.

My mistake, I mistyped the configuration, it should be A: B-W & Y-R; B: B-W-R.

Not sure whether it has been posted before, but this configuration is absolutely perfect in my system, as noted in my previous post. 

37 minutes ago, AmusedToD said:

My mistake, I mistyped the configuration, it should be A: B-W & Y-R; B: B-W-R.

Common mistake 😉

@PeterStBut technically, whats exactly the difference between these two: A: B-W & Y-R; B: B-W-R versus  A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R. I lost track of what the & does. The '&' means the U-shaped thingy is used, right? Does it make a connection or does it 'just' secure the pins of the 6-pronged connector, to make sure they don't involuntarily touch each other?

Thanks!

I like what A: B-W-R B: B-W  is doing. More balanced compared to A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R. The ultra wide soundstage of A: B-W-Y B: B-W is gone of course, but soundstage depth is back. On the other hand it sounds a bit dark to me. I'll continue to use it for now, trying not to switch to quick. 

More to follow (in due time)...

3 hours ago, BigAlMc said:

I have the Lush^2, the original Lush, the Curious cable and the Sablon Reserva.

I haven't changed the Lush^2 config for months and probably won't unless a few people say a new config is better still.

I also haven't considered taking the Lush^2 out my system because it sounds terrific. It's a great cable and there's no need to experiment, unless you want to.

The Lush^2 brings a great sense of musicality and separation of instruments and voices. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Cheers,

Alan

Hello Alan, how would you describe the differences between Lush^2 vs. Curious USB?

Streamer dCS Network Bridge DAC Chord DAVE Amplifier / DRC Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 Speakers Lindemann BL-10 | JL audio E-sub e110 Head-fi and reference Bakoon HPA-21 | Audeze LCD-3 (f) Power and isolation Dedicated power line | Xentek extreme isolation transformer (1KVA, balanced) | Uptone Audio EtherREGEN + Ferrum Hypsos | Sonore OpticalModule + Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1.2 | Jensen CI-1RR Cables Jorma Digital XLR (digital), Grimm Audio SQM RCA (analog), Kimber 8TC + WBT (speakers), custom star-quad with Oyaide connectors (AC), Ferrum (DC) and Ghent (ethernet) Software dCS Mosaic | Tidal | Qobuz

2 hours ago, bluebeat said:

@PeterStBut technically, whats exactly the difference between these two: A: B-W & Y-R; B: B-W-R versus  A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W-R.

With B-W & Y-R the Black and White are tied together. The Yellow and Red are also tied together, but separate from the B-W. So they are two groups. Black and White make connection. Yellow and Red also make connection. Both groups are not connected to each other.

With B-W-Y-R all Black, White Yellow and Red are connected to each other.

Mind you please, at the side of the cable of concern (in this case the A side / connector). It is thus NOT so that once they are connected at one side, the other side does not matter much "because they are connected already". The fact that one side something is connected and at the other side it is not, is super-crucial. This is because this is not about signal connections but about shielding.

1913034979_wacko1.gif.09b7fdc389da5a8e80efc47d52355804.gif

XXHighEnd (developer)

57 minutes ago, skatbelt said:

Hello Alan, how would you describe the differences between Lush^2 vs. Curious USB?

The Curious has a great sense of energy and a really big soundstage. Probably the more accurate of the two.

The Lush^2 is a bit more blurred but more musical at the same time. There's a texture that adds a bit of breath to the vocals. There's also great separation of the different instruments. Dunno how to describe it other than the Lush^2 just grabs me more.

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

2 hours ago, bluebeat said:

I like what A: B-W-R B: B-W  is doing. More balanced compared to A: B-W-Y-R, B: B-W- R. The ultra wide soundstage of A: B-W-Y B: B-W is gone of course, but soundstage depth is back. On the other hand it sounds a bit dark to me. I'll continue to use it for now, trying not to switch to quick. 

I agree w/ your assessment. On my system "a bit dark" translates to "sensibly weighted"... serving as a reminder that we sometimes use component "B" to balance an existing component "A" in our system. In my case, all my interconnects are silver and the high end is very clear.

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

With B-W & Y-R the Black and White are tied together. The Yellow and Red are also tied together, but separate from the B-W. So they are two groups. Black and White make connection. Yellow and Red also make connection. Both groups are not connected to each other.

With B-W-Y-R all Black, White Yellow and Red are connected to each other.

Mind you please, at the side of the cable of concern (in this case the A side / connector). It is thus NOT so that once they are connected at one side, the other side does not matter much "because they are connected already". The fact that one side something is connected and at the other side it is not, is super-crucial. This is because this is not about signal connections but about shielding.

1913034979_wacko1.gif.09b7fdc389da5a8e80efc47d52355804.gif

Yep. Thanks @PeterSt So far so good. But what does the 'U-shaped thingy' do? Make a connection, or not? The & is that thingy, right?

7 hours ago, bluebeat said:

Yep. Thanks @PeterSt So far so good. But what does the 'U-shaped thingy' do? Make a connection, or not? The & is that thingy, right?

Ah, I didn't get what you referred to (but envisioned a drawing with similar).

4 hours ago, tims said:

I think that just covers the exposed pins to avoid damage, shorts etc?

So Yes. Although it does connect two pins it can no-where add connections or more permutations. The pins where it is supposed to go to are internally connected already. So indeed what Tim says.

XXHighEnd (developer)