IGNORED

Lush^2 - Share your configuration experiences

I am back to the default config and plan to stay with it, at least for the time being.

Vocal reproduction/nuance is of paramount importance to me.This reference cut of female vocal accompanied by upright bass cinched it.

Simply sounds more "right" with more natural voice with body and I believe a bit more sense of space. For me bass still comes through fine, if possibly more rounded tone. 

(as always: YMMV  9_9)

Song: Diana Panton - "Reaching for the Moon"

Album: "If the Moon Turns Green" Diana Panton, 2xHD

For me too the PNF sounds better coming from the default setting. (First day)

Listened to

1: Ane Brun, Live at Berwald Hallen, The light from one.

2: Supertramp, Crime of the century (24,192), School.

3: Talk talk, Natural order, For what it’s worth.

I think Ane sounded really nice. bass, mids and highs are balanced the same as default. Ane sounded more spacious to me with more attack. Near the end of the song I heard a second voice very softly behind Ane’s voice that I never noticed before.

With Supertramp and Talk talk I could clearly hear that a curtain was lifted from the bass and less muddy.

I only hope, but time will tell, that the attack or more forward presentation, hard to describe what it is, is not fatiguing. 

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

9 hours ago, bluebeat said:

I’d love to find a combination, based on the default, that brings back a bit of the magic of the PNF/default. Any suggestions?  

Hi bluebeat - would you be helped by extra *low* HF output ? I mean, I should be able to find at least one config which complies to that explicitly, but ...

But for me it would give the stuffed ear feeling. I am not sure it will be the one or the other and that nothing exists in between, but for me, as soon as the stuffed ear sense appears, I am out. But now you with the tinnitus ...

??

Something else is that I think that I know what you mean. And if I am right on that, you should use quite different means to counterattack your sensations. Suppose you'd drive by and pop in, I could try to show you ...

Regards,

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 4/14/2019 at 1:25 AM, d_elm said:

PNF is A:B-W & Y-R, B:B-W and shipping default has been A:B-W-Y-R,B:B-W-R.  Do you want to restate your findings ?

Wow. 🤔I'll have to! Thanks for pointing that out d_elm. I definitly got some Lush wires crossed here.😉 I'll dive in as soon as I've time.

Cheers!

On 4/14/2019 at 5:09 AM, PeterSt said:

Hi bluebeat - would you be helped by extra *low* HF output ? I mean, I should be able to find at least one config which complies to that explicitly, but ...

But for me it would give the stuffed ear feeling. I am not sure it will be the one or the other and that nothing exists in between, but for me, as soon as the stuffed ear sense appears, I am out. But now you with the tinnitus ...

??

Something else is that I think that I know what you mean. And if I am right on that, you should use quite different means to counterattack your sensations. Suppose you'd drive by and pop in, I could try to show you ...

Regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Hard to say if low HF output will help. Before your Lush^2 I used a Curious, which is a bit brash compared to the Lush-cables, but that wasn't a problem. My guess is my ears can't stand *extra* HF energy in a particular bandwith. So it's trial and error. The default isn't giving me problems, but is not wholly satisfying SQ wise.

It sure enough would be nice to drive up to your place again and do some experimenting, but I need to take into account in my room, my equipment etc. And it takes awhile before I can determine what the cable does. Then again, I'm not sure what means you have in mind.

It'll be best if I give you a call one of these days. Quite busy though, so it might take some time before I come around to that.

Cheers

So basically PNF, A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W, is connecting connector A with connector B through the innermost shield plus on A side connecting the other shields.

In an attempt to little bit lessen the HF thing but keeping the bass I tried this.

Not going from A to B through innermost shield but go one level up though the yellow shield plus on the A side connect white and red.

So A: B-Y & W-R  B: B-Y

Curious what you think of this configuration.

Under development:

On 4/16/2019 at 12:32 PM, PeterSt said:

Many people ask for a photo of

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W

AKA "PNF". So here it is:

DSC01032a.JPG.dad1d0a6fb009c869c1ca696d667340b.JPG

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the photo. With this in hand I had another go at PNF on my short lush 2 cable between the i7 NUC and ISO Regen. This time was more successful. I must have screwed up the configuration on my first attempt.

As the originator of the JSSG360 lush cable, I am pleased to see the idea taken to the next level.

Anyway stay tuned for SQ impact.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 4/17/2019 at 10:47 PM, RickyV said:

In an attempt to little bit lessen the HF thing but keeping the bass I tried this.

Well, the longer I listen to "PNF" the more I appreciate the highs output. For me, the level (or amount) of it, balances very well to what happens right under it. But interestingly:

So A: B-Y & W-R  B: B-Y

My notes don't tell my that I tried that one, but I did try this :

A: B-Y & W-R  B: B-Y & W-R

And my description as of Sept. 1, 2018:

Very general key description : a lot of low highs.

Later (Oct. 21, 2018), at revisiting this config, I noted:

Today I am going back to a config with more mid (lower highs as described on the forum on Sept. 2, 2018 ). I do this because it seems (with too much of stuffed ears the past week !) that the new Blaxius^2 at A:B-W, B:B-W shows me too few mid.
After a week, this combi could be too much "tearing" (scheuren).

So if I read back on my own text here (you may also want to follow the link) it could be what you are looking for. But it could also be what I must revisit again, now being used to "PNF" largely but indeed maybe agreeing with you that the highs could be less a little, or better, the mid could be more. And this config could be about that exactly. But also (for me):

The "scheuren" (tearing) I mention in there by now is obvious to me as this indicates a too fast mid which mid is emphasized at the same time. It makes different music sound similar and thus I would reject it. But what I also see in there is that this can probably be counter-attacked by a change in Blaxius^2 configuration which at that time was just new, me hunting for configs - forcing myself not gong mad. By now I could probably cope ...

And then not to make you people mad, but on the Blaxius^2 for ages I have A:B-R, B: B-R, just being too lazy to try things there.

Here the summarized text behind the link on the A: B-Y & W-R  B: B-Y & W-R :

This one, so far, has it all. It shows superb bass which also sings (see earlier post). It has highs which are "normal", but which somehow manage to squeeze out even more detail all over (read : actually continuously and not only "occasionally"). All, really all contains new sounds while at the same time music as such is playing (this latter is THE task). The electric butterflies are there, meaning that the spookiness is all over there again, but this time never in a way that you'd think : right, nice, but this has to be wrong.

And the technical justification:

With this, I forced myself to find configs "with reason". And well, this one is about the thought of balance, and how the Middle shield connects to the both connectors, that shield in itself protected by and surrounded with the two other shields. The "protected by" is quite explicit, because if those two, Inner and Outer would also connect to the connectors, it wouldn't be protective (in my electrical view and thinking). Thus, both the Inner and Outer shields just open ended at both sides, BUT connected to each other and thus not to the Middle shield.
And really, at the first hit (I am serious !) you can hear it is right.

XXHighEnd (developer)

I tried the configuration from my last post, but No ... Maybe my ears weren't up to the task last night ?

I experienced the sound as way too light and with a big hole between the highs and even lower mid and found it highly annoying.

I could have tried to solve this by now changing my Blaxius^2 config but it doesn't work for me to have something not-working and tweak to get it better. For me it must sound right and then tweak to improve further.

XXHighEnd (developer)

• 2 weeks later...

@TJHUB, Very very valuable. Thank you very much for spending the time writing this this all out so elaborative.

Regards,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

On 5/1/2019 at 9:43 PM, TJHUB said:

Setup of the cable as A:B-R+W-Y  B:B-R

This was even better!  It's like I got more of everything from the previous configuration.  The sense of depth and dimension is fantastic, and imaging was more spacial with singers and instruments having 3D sides to them.  Everything sounds very balanced top to bottom, and tone and texture is also fantastic.  There is a noticeable increase in clarity and micro-detail.  Music just appears as if from nowhere.

A: B-R & W-Y, B: B-R ...

Yes, I think this is a keeper.

Yesterday was my 4th day with this configuration, and I don't recall that even the slightest disturbed me, throughout. Instead somehow again more detail comes forward in everything, while at the same time there is even more palpability. Highs splash very nicely and the older (uncompressed) music comes forward as never before.

Bass roars mysteriously (with the proper music for it, of course).

Great stuff, this cable. Haha.

XXHighEnd (developer)

A: B-R & W-Y, B: B-R.

I will try this one this evening.

So we may can conclude from this Series that the further away the connecting shield from the data lines the better the SQ

Under development:

2 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Yesterday was my 4th day with this configuration, and I don't recall that even the slightest disturbed me, throughout. Instead somehow again more detail comes forward in everything, while at the same time there is even more palpability. Highs splash very nicely and the older (uncompressed) music comes forward as never before.

Hi Peter. A picture would be helpful. Thanks, Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

On 4/16/2019 at 7:32 PM, PeterSt said:

Many people ask for a photo of

A: B-W & Y-R, B: B-W

AKA "PNF". So here it is:

DSC01032a.JPG.dad1d0a6fb009c869c1ca696d667340b.JPG

Still better... Better dynamics,bass and immediacy (laptop>meridian director>stax L300) or (laptop>meridian director>mactone xx200 pro>mactone 300b>Focal)

10 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Peter:  Thanks for trying this configuration.  If nothing else, it's nice to have one's findings validated in this very confusing and highly subjective hobby.  Everyone's system can certainly perform differently, so you can never say any particular component (or setting in this case) will work for all.

I had actually not found time to really listen since my last post.  I have been running the PC and DAC as much as possible, but no listening time until yesterday.  It didn't take but a few tracks to find the sound thin and not very engaging.  I was disappointed to say the least.  I thought maybe the cable had finally settled in, and I would need to revisit various configurations.  Then I remembered something.  I changed the configuration at the end of my last listening session!

I was reading posts and wondered what would happen if I tried the JSSG360 version of my configuration.  Basically I just changed the B side configuration from B:B-R to B:B-R & W-Y.  I don't remember really hearing all that much of a difference at the end of my listening session, but I did not remember hearing what I was now hearing.  So I swapped it back by just pulling the W and Y wired off the B side.  Boom!  The amazing sound I remembered was back.  I am completely shocked such a seemingly tiny change affects the sound SO much.  Crazy!