IGNORED

Official Qobuz Issues Thread

On 12/11/2023 at 4:54 PM, David Craff said:

Hi,

I understand you completely and you're free to do so. I just hope that if you leave us one day it's to see you again later when everything is up to your expectations.

About your list
- DLNA / UPnP: never, and even more so now that we're working on Qobuz Connect.
- Bit Perfect support via USB for Android: planned
- Qobuz Connect with Denon / Marantz: this is probably the most important brand for Qobuz and this project, so we're working closely with them to get it done as quickly as possible.
- A little UI Overhaul: This is underway, we have a new design system that will be gradually rolled out to all applications.

Regards

Don't worry, I can't leave: I renewed my annual subscription back in November:-)

Yet, I am testing, out of curiosity, Amazon Music HD, so you may be interested in some comparisons:

- On Windows tha Amazon app supports wasapi and direct mode like the Qobuz app. The only advantage of Amazon is that it tells you the bit/sampling capability of the whole listening chain: of the song, of the DAC and of the speakers/headphones.

- On Android Amazon app has an advantage over Qobuz app: like the app for windows it tells the capability of the whole listening chain. Yet, I don't think it's bitperfect, even when it shows 24bit/192KHz for the song and the dac being used. Regarding the dac, unlike USB Audio Player Pro (that at the moment is the only Android app to listen to Qobuz in bitperfect) that supports external DACs, it seems that Amazon app supports only internal DAC. To clarify: when using UAPP it explicitly says "external DAC" or "direct" depending if I'm using headphone attached via usb external DAC or of I'm using phone's speakers: while Amazon app always says it's using my phone's internal DAC. Qobuz app does not produce any of this information.

- On Marantz, Amazon wins because Heos is integrated, but Bubble UpNp is a very good if not similar alternative.

1 hour ago, thegios said:

Don't worry, I can't leave: I renewed my annual subscription back in November:-)

Yet, I am testing, out of curiosity, Amazon Music HD, so you may be interested in some comparisons:

- On Windows tha Amazon app supports wasapi and direct mode like the Qobuz app. The only advantage of Amazon is that it tells you the bit/sampling capability of the whole listening chain: of the song, of the DAC and of the speakers/headphones.

I'm afraid you may be mistaken here as the Amazon Music desktop app, despite what it reports as the currently playing quality, always upsamples to the device capability resolution (i.e. the resolution you have set for your soundcard) as can be checked on the display on an external DAC. Also, while it offers "exclusive mode", it does not support "wasapi and direct mode like the Qobuz app" so isn't bit perfect.

- On Android Amazon app has an advantage over Qobuz app: like the app for windows it tells the capability of the whole listening chain. Yet, I don't think it's bitperfect, even when it shows 24bit/192KHz for the song and the dac being used. Regarding the dac, unlike USB Audio Player Pro (that at the moment is the only Android app to listen to Qobuz in bitperfect) that supports external DACs, it seems that Amazon app supports only internal DAC. To clarify: when using UAPP it explicitly says "external DAC" or "direct" depending if I'm using headphone attached via usb external DAC or of I'm using phone's speakers: while Amazon app always says it's using my phone's internal DAC. Qobuz app does not produce any of this information.

Yes, UAPP doesn't support Amazon Music, so again the Amazon Music  app isn't bit perfect there either. While it claims it can use an external DAC on iOs, results have been mixed on Android and I've never achieved bit perfect playback when connected to my Linn MDSM/4 USB input from my Android phone.

- On Marantz, Amazon wins because Heos is integrated, but Bubble UpNp is a very good if not similar alternative.

Amazon Music on Heos, while bit perfect has an execrable app, plus isn't capable of casting in a lossless manner from the Amazon Music app. I think WiiM are still the only devices on the market that support the latter and why I ditched my HEOS Link HS2 for a WiiM Mini, which is bit perfect both when playing from its app or being cast to from the Amazon Music app. BubbleUPNP doesn't support Amazon Music either.

There's an extensive thread on how to achieve Amazon Music bit perfect lossless playback on Reddit - basically your options are limited (apart from WiiM ;) ). Here's the link  Amazon Music and how to get true lossless HD/Ultra HD to play

1 minute ago, Brantome said:

I'm afraid you may be mistaken here as the Amazon Music desktop app, despite what it reports as the currently playing quality, always upsamples to the device capability resolution (i.e. the resolution you have set for your soundcard) as can be checked on the display on an external DAC. Also, while it offers "exclusive mode", it does not support "wasapi and direct mode like the Qobuz app" so isn't bit perfect.

Yes, UAPP doesn't support Amazon Music, so again the Amazon Music  app isn't bit perfect there either. While it claims it can use an external DAC on iOs, results have been mixed on Android and I've never achieved bit perfect playback when connected to my Linn MDSM/4 USB input from my Android phone.

Amazon Music on Heos, while bit perfect has an execrable app, plus isn't capable of casting in a lossless manner from the Amazon Music app. I think WiiM are still the only devices on the market that support the latter and why I ditched my HEOS Link HS2 for a WiiM Mini, which is bit perfect both when playing from its app or being cast to from the Amazon Music app. BubbleUPNP doesn't support Amazon Music either.

There's an extensive thread on how to achieve Amazon Music bit perfect lossless playback on Reddit - basically your options are limited (apart from WiiM ;) ). Here's the link  Amazon Music and how to get true lossless HD/Ultra HD to play

I have already decided to stay on Qobuz:-) I felt there was something dodgy behind Amazon statements, reason why I wanted to try, good to know I made the right choice.

Now just hoping for bitperfect on Android and CONNECT on Marantz.

On 12/15/2023 at 3:36 PM, thegios said:

Thanks for the feedback;

We planned to display more information about the listening chain later. It's not a huge feature and probably of little use to an audiophile, but for the average person, it'll be handy to understand better what's happening.

Qobuz Product Manager for Desktop, Web Player and Search Engine.

3 hours ago, David Craff said:

It's not a huge feature and probably of little use to an audiophile, but for the average person, it'll be handy to understand better what's happening.

I wouldn't be confident in audiophiles even understanding what network streaming audio file tracks actually is, given the amount of nonsense statements that come from some of them - the ones that regard the network audio file streaming process prior to the audio file tracks arriving & being played by their devices as somehow being part of their audio system's playback chain.

Give those audiophiles the knowledge for the potential of audio files being resampled at various stages of network streaming and you'll be encouraging a whole new set of nonsense statements. Or, perhaps that's what you mean by it being "probably of little use". 😀

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, Cebolla said:

I wouldn't be confident in audiophiles even understanding what network streaming audio file tracks actually is, given the amount of nonsense statements that come from some of them - the ones that regard the network audio file streaming process prior to the audio file tracks arriving & being played by their devices as somehow being part of their audio system's playback chain.

Give those audiophiles the knowledge for the potential of audio files being resampled at various stages of network streaming and you'll be encouraging a whole new set of nonsense statements. Or, perhaps that's what you mean by it being "probably of little use". 😀

It’s always good to belittle your fellow hobbyists. Good holiday vibes. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Or, perhaps that's what you mean by it being "probably of little use". 😀

By unhelpful I mean that I imagine the audiophile customer is aware of what's going on. If he's surprised that by using Bluetooth he can't get HiRes, that's a problem.

5 hours ago, thegios said:

Hi, anyone having issues in playing hapless albums thru Bubble UpNp?

@thegios

For playing gapless albums, in BubbleUPnP you need to enable More > Settings > Renderer settings > (Pick renderer) > Gapless control.

If 'Gapless control' is grayed out (disabled) your renderer does not have the UPnP command for gapless.

If you can enable it, it is not a guarantee that gapless control will work properly.

Just now, bubbleguuum said:

@thegios

For playing gapless albums, in BubbleUPnP you need to enable More > Settings > Renderer settings > (Pick renderer) > Gapless control.

If 'Gapless control' is grayed out (disabled) your renderer does not have the UPnP command for gapless.

If you can enable it, it is not a guarantee that gapless control will work properly.

It's enabled but still no hapless.

It seems though I found a solution: proxy tracks.

@David.. Qobuz, Hi-Res Music Evangelist

Thanks to you and the team for implementing Qobuz wallet. Makes buying downloads much easier. It was very inconvenient before.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

On 12/27/2023 at 10:53 PM, thegios said:

@David Craff do you know that for playing bit perfect on Android via USB thru an external HiRes DAC, in addition to USB Player Pro, there is also another app named HiByMusic that supports Qobuz? And it's free... 

No sorry, I'm not aware of this application.

Today I saw that my Qobuz favorite albums from the last 6 week had disappeared. I was able to reconstruct the list from a recent Roon Backup and re-favorite the respective albums. So far so good. I have now 'saved' the list of favorite albums and playlists in soundiiz. Not sure how helpful that will be if this should happen again

The event does leave me with a few questions:

• Have others had similar issues?
  • Is there any way to find out when the favorite albums got unfavorited? via qobuz support?
  • Is there any reliable way to make a backup of the list of favorite albums and playlists?

I have problem accessing Qobuz from my home wi-fi network. I am getting error notification when trying to access from both my computer and my phone, either with Qobuz app or Naim app:

Could not login

Proxies and VPNs not allowed.

I do not use any VPNs or proxies. The technical support of the ISP confirmed they do not use any of such as well. With the help of my ISP I changed the IP (last tree digits) several times, it didn't help. Everything worked properly for several years before that. From other wi-fi networks at other places or from mobile data in a smartphone login works ok at the moment, the problem with login only in my home wi-fi network.

What can be done? 

24 minutes ago, AnotherSpin said:

I have problem accessing Qobuz from my home wi-fi network. I am getting error notification when trying to access from both my computer and my phone, either with Qobuz app or Naim app:

Could not login

Proxies and VPNs not allowed.

I do not use any VPNs or proxies. The technical support of the ISP confirmed they do not use any of such as well. With the help of my ISP I changed the IP (last tree digits) several times, it didn't help. Everything worked properly for several years before that. From other wi-fi networks at other places or from mobile data in a smartphone login works ok at the moment, the problem with login only in my home wi-fi network.

What can be done? 

Can you access the Qobuz website and login to the web site? Just trying to narrow it down. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

36 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Can you access the Qobuz website and login to the web site? Just trying to narrow it down. 

I guess so. In fact, Qobuz app also opens, I can see front page. But when I try to open any of the albums, the logo in the middle spins and nothing opens. The albums in offline library can be played. I can also open menu from top far right. If I try to open Qobuz in smartphone with wi-fi on or through Naim app, an error message appears. At the moment I am not at home, and I can play albums from Qobuz with wi-fi network here from both mac book and iphone. 

On 1/6/2024 at 5:18 PM, jacobacci said:

Today I saw that my Qobuz favorite albums from the last 6 week had disappeared. I was able to reconstruct the list from a recent Roon Backup and re-favorite the respective albums. So far so good. I have now 'saved' the list of favorite albums and playlists in soundiiz. Not sure how helpful that will be if this should happen again

The event does leave me with a few questions:

• Have others had similar issues?
  • Is there any way to find out when the favorite albums got unfavorited? via qobuz support?
  • Is there any reliable way to make a backup of the list of favorite albums and playlists?

Yes I’ve had that problem as well, but I know what caused it, but it may not be the same as your situation. I’ve learned never to ask Roon to ‘clear up’ library, as when it does it will remove any Qobuz favourites that it can’t find in their database for whatever reason… I’ve lost dozens of albums from my Roon library and Qobuz favourites this way!

Best way is to do what you have done and export regularly to Soundiz - you can also export from Roon to a spreadsheet file, this can then be loaded into Soundiz later if need be. I don’t think Roon talks nicely to Qobuz sometimes so I’ll probably be leaving Roon when Qobuz Connect comes online shortly.

Tim.

Qobuz -> Auralic Aries Mini -> Chord Mojo DAC -> Heed Obelisk SI -> Mark Audio Pluvia 11 Custom Built  Mass Loaded Transmission Line Speakers

Using the Qobuz App on iPhone:  Are there detailed instructions somewhere?

I've installed the app on my iPhone 13 Pro since I got some Bluetooth earbuds for Christmas, and I'm hoping to load up a few albums for our upcoming 4-hour flight.  (I'm subscribed to the "Studio" plan.)  What's the most efficient way to do this without actually "purchasing" the albums?

I see the "Imports" button at the bottom of the screen, which seems to contain various tracks that I've played in a "offline library" but no whole albums.  I also see an "Import" button next to "Play" in the "..." menu of any album I select in "My Qobuz," but trying that now appears to run rather slowly -- something comparable to real-time over a good wi-fi connection? -- even for only CD quality.  And I don't know if I'll have to pay to effectively purchase the album, or if that only applies to permanent and/or "Hi-Res" downloads.

Also, is there a convenient way to check the amount of data stored in the phone's cache? -- JCW6

1 hour ago, JCW6 said:

Using the Qobuz App on iPhone:  Are there detailed instructions somewhere?

I've installed the app on my iPhone 13 Pro since I got some Bluetooth earbuds for Christmas, and I'm hoping to load up a few albums for our upcoming 4-hour flight.  (I'm subscribed to the "Studio" plan.)  What's the most efficient way to do this without actually "purchasing" the albums?

I see the "Imports" button at the bottom of the screen, which seems to contain various tracks that I've played in a "offline library" but no whole albums.  I also see an "Import" button next to "Play" in the "..." menu of any album I select in "My Qobuz," but trying that now appears to run rather slowly -- something comparable to real-time over a good wi-fi connection? -- even for only CD quality.  And I don't know if I'll have to pay to effectively purchase the album, or if that only applies to permanent and/or "Hi-Res" downloads.

Also, is there a convenient way to check the amount of data stored in the phone's cache? -- JCW6

So I'm using Android, but let's assume the interfaces and functionalities are very similar, if not completely identical. 

Before your travels, create one or more playlists to contain all the music you want to take with you. Find the music and add it to the playlist(s). Then go into each playlist and tap the download icon (downward arrow on my phone). That's it. Then when you're offline, on the Home screen, select the Imports icon -- they should really call it Downloaded -- and play away. 

You can download at full resolution or something less. Hi-res uses lots of storage, and frankly you won't benefit on earbuds, so CD quality would be sufficient, and really overkill. Run some tests and see if you can distinguish between bitrates on the same tracks. And of course the higher the res, the longer the tracks will take to download.

Thanks, Balthazar B -- Have you tried the "Import" approach suggested in my message?

Have you found a way to check how much data you've downloaded?

Sorry, all -- I seem to have unwittingly triggered centered text, and I don't know how to get out of it. -- JCW6

Hi, @JCW6. Assuming the iPhone app is similar to the Android app, you'll see under Imports on the Home screen that the breakdown includes Releases (aka albums), Tracks, Playlists, and Artists. If you download a single track, selecting Releases will present the parent album, but not any other tracks from it you haven't downloaded. If you pull up an album and tap the download icon (downward-facing arrow), it will download the whole album and it will show up under Imports/Releases. 

On Android there are lots of utilities that can provide info on downloaded data, but it's been ages since I've used and iPhone, so I don't know what Apple provides end-users in that regard.

There are icons on the Edit screen of audiophilestyle that let you select justification and indentation of paragraphs.