IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

A question about a hypothetical M-Scaler scenario has arisen for me. I apologize if this inquiry sounds like the pursuit of an unadvisable option or has already been discussed (I tried a quick search of "BNC" but didn't see this raised yet here), and I also apologize for not having the technical knowledge to have much of an idea yet what the answer might be. Also, I realize there's some debate over how much benefit may or may not result when using an M-Scaler with non-Chord DACs. Furthermore, I realize there are whole other discussions regarding cable variables such as quality and length. Given those caveats, the basic thing I'm wondering is:

1. With two non-Chord DACs located close to each other, e.g. in adjacent rooms like a listening room and then an office for headphone use, could a single M-Scaler feed them both via the two BNC outputs, with one cable each?

2. If so, what's the maximum advisable distance a decent BNC cable could run from the M-Scaler to one of the DACs; would something like 10 meters be way too long for the M-Scaler's output or the cable's integrity?

If this could work without substantial SQ degradation over the longer cable run, presumably one needn't buy a separate set of streaming endpoint hardware for the second DAC, which might make the price of a single M-Scaler a somewhat more interesting proposition, even without Chord DACs in the mix.

But maybe this is a fantasy that isn't technically feasible, because the M-Scaler output's signal integrity would be quickly defeated by anything longer than a short BNC run between components in the same hifi rack. Thanks for any thoughts, even just to set me straight.

Almost all non-Chord DACs could only accept 192kHz via (single) coaxial BNC / RCA inputs. As a result, we're only able to utilize 0.25 million taps instead of 1 million. Maybe not worth all that money?

There's something like ComTrue CT7601 from Taiwan that could accept 768kHz via single coaxial inputs, though most likely it's only limited to DIY stuff.

They're still working on DAVINA with USB output, that's what I'm waiting for myself.

1 hour ago, seeteeyou said:

Almost all non-Chord DACs could only accept 192kHz via (single) coaxial BNC / RCA inputs. As a result, we're only able to utilize 0.25 million taps instead of 1 million. Maybe not worth all that money?

There's something like ComTrue CT7601 from Taiwan that could accept 768kHz via single coaxial inputs, though most likely it's only limited to DIY stuff.

They're still working on DAVINA with USB output, that's what I'm waiting for myself.

Thanks, I need to learn more about the Davina project.

And correction: Maybe I should have posed my question as: using short Toslink for one DAC and a longer BNC cable via the S/PDIF for the other. According to the M-Scaler manual, at least, the dual BNC outputs should not be used at all for non-Chord DACs.

2 hours ago, Crustacean said:

Thanks, I need to learn more about the Davina project.

And correction: Maybe I should have posed my question as: using short Toslink for one DAC and a longer BNC cable via the S/PDIF for the other. According to the M-Scaler manual, at least, the dual BNC outputs should not be used at all for non-Chord DACs.

The Davina will be a long wait I believe.

14 hours ago, seeteeyou said:

My Hugo TT accepts up to 384kHz via a single coaxial BNC.  But you could be right that most other DACs only go up to 192kHz via coaxial BNC.

A very nice improvement can be heard from just the half-million taps.   I'm expecting a bigger bump though after my TT2 finally arrives.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

On 3/19/2019 at 1:47 AM, kennyb123 said:

My Hugo TT accepts up to 384kHz via a single coaxial BNC.  But you could be right that most other DACs only go up to 192kHz via coaxial BNC.

A very nice improvement can be heard from just the half-million taps.   I'm expecting a bigger bump though after my TT2 finally arrives.

Great to hear that you're getting such an improvement at 384kHz.

I was intrigued, and a bit perplexed, to see that this reviewer felt that even at 192kHz into the Totaldac, for example, the M-Scaler at presumably only 0.25 million taps was delivering most of its goodness already; the reviewer called the difference when adding the TT2 with the full million taps only "subtle" and he liked the M-Scaler "regardless of DAC pairing." This was different from the conclusion in the review here at A/S, which found much less benefit pairing the M-Scaler with the Ayre QX-5 Twenty than with the TT2. I'm wondering if the difference could have to do with the Totaldac running in non-oversampling mode (I don't know about the QX-5 Twenty) and thus passing on more of the effect of the M-Scaler. If that's the case, perhaps non-oversampling DACs pair better even at only 192kHz, I don't know.

I'd still be curious if anyone has thoughts about the maximum BNC cable length that would be advisable running out of the M-Scaler.

8 hours ago, Crustacean said:

Totaldac running in non-oversampling mode

Bingo!  I suspect the above is correct.  The Ayre DAC runs proprietary oversampling in an FPGA at a 16x rate, and if one inputs 176.5/192 kHz into the Ayre it will still apply its own oversampling to get the rest of the way to 705.6 and 768 kHz.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 3/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, Crustacean said:

Great to hear that you're getting such an improvement at 384kHz.

(snip)

I'd still be curious if anyone has thoughts about the maximum BNC cable length that would be advisable running out of the M-Scaler.

I'm surprised that the Hugo TT has responded so well to the HMS at a half million taps.  All the improvements reported at a million taps are present here too.  I think I've been most amazed with the improvement to bass articulation and tone.

As far as BNC cable length, I believe the standard specifies a max length of 10m.  But your best bet is to post to the HMS thread on HeadFi on the with a callout to Rob Watts.  He's good about answering questions there.  

HMS thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hugo-m-scaler-by-chord-electronics-the-official-thread.885042

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 6:06 AM, barrows said:

Bingo!  I suspect the above is correct.  The Ayre DAC runs proprietary oversampling in an FPGA at a 16x rate, and if one inputs 176.5/192 kHz into the Ayre it will still apply its own oversampling to get the rest of the way to 705.6 and 768 kHz.  

Yes - I agree this is most likely what is going on. Waiting for my HMS to arrive to pair with my Holo Spring II for this very reason. I can switch between OS and NOS mode to test this theory. Then once my TT2 comes I will throw that into the mix as well.

59 minutes ago, incus said:

Yes - I agree this is most likely what is going on. Waiting for my HMS to arrive to pair with my Holo Spring II for this very reason. I can switch between OS and NOS mode to test this theory. Then once my TT2 comes I will throw that into the mix as well.

What about software OS vs. HMS with the Spring2?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

37 minutes ago, Miska said:

Note that if you are running Spring in PCM mode, to get best out of the Spring you need to send it about 20-bit (or less with noise shaping) to keep it linear.

So it is very important to configure correct word length to your upsampler to achieve full resolution out of Spring.

Here's Spring 2 doing 1 kHz -120 dB at 20-bit noise shaped at 1.4112 MHz sampling rate:

HoloSpring2_1k_1M4112_-120dB_NS5_20b.thumb.png.32d370914c4335d6d875a96787a2a267.png

And here the same, but with 24-bit data and no noise shaping:

HoloSpring2_1k_1M4112_-120dB.thumb.png.41000f1efbdc0d22274b1dd354a34131.png

Even with 16-bit 1.4112 MHz with fairly aggressive noise shaping you still get good results:

HoloSpring2_1k_1M4112_-120dB_NS9_16b.thumb.png.fa287be4058d4814392ff4f256c27fbc.png

Very interesting,

can you please post some with converting to DSD as well?

Thanks

Matt

DAC's could apply 6 dB gain to DSD sources like ESS does. And then analog background noise vs 0 dB reference peak level is the same. But that has a risk when source contains momentary overmodulated DSD content (many SACDs do have that) where the output voltage would go +3 dB higher than maximum output with PCM and could clip analog stages somewhere on the way...

For PCM, 0 dBFS is a hard limit that cannot be exceeded. For DSD, 0 dB is not hard limit and it is just defined as 50% modulation index. And the maximum allowed momentary modulation is 75%. Just for reference, 100% modulation is just plain DC at the rail voltage...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

14 hours ago, incus said:

Terrific, would love to hear what you find. (My DACs can also run in NOS mode, which is what is pushing my curiosity on a possible HMS pairing even though they are not Chord machines.)

18 hours ago, Miska said:

Spring's OS (AKM chip) is not so much to compare against... It is best running in NOS mode with external digital filter and modulator. If you lack capability of running good external digital filter and modulator, then it is certainly better than nothing.

It was never my belief that OS mode on the Spring would sound better than the HMS into the Spring in NOS mode. I listen almost exclusively in NOS mode on the Spring and ordered the HMS for the TT2 - I just plan to play around a bit when it all arrives...

Thanks for all the info about the Spring, btw. Right now the only software upsampling I can do is either with ROON DSP or A+'s iZototpe 64-bit SRC. I currently do not have HQPlayer so I don't think I have the bit rate setting and noise shaping capabilities you mention. I actually find the Audirvana upsampling to sound quite good going into the Spring in NOS mode. And I prefer Roon DSP upsampling into the Spring in NOS mode to straight redbook in either NOS or OS...

15 minutes ago, incus said:

Thanks for all the info about the Spring, btw. Right now the only software upsampling I can do is either with ROON DSP or A+'s iZototpe 64-bit SRC. I currently do not have HQPlayer so I don't think I have the bit rate setting and noise shaping capabilities you mention. I actually find the Audirvana upsampling to sound quite good going into the Spring in NOS mode. And I prefer Roon DSP upsampling into the Spring in NOS mode to straight redbook in either NOS or OS...

Then it is better to stick to DSD256 output from those two instead of sending PCM there...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

2 hours ago, incus said:

I actually find the Audirvana upsampling to sound quite good going into the Spring in NOS mode. And I prefer Roon DSP upsampling into the Spring in NOS mode to straight redbook in either NOS or OS...

So in the absence of HQP would it be correct to say that you prefer upsampling with A+ to upsampling with Roon (both into Spring NOS mode)?

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Great to get this feedback from the front lines as I await my HMS and TT2 combo as well. Thank you. Could you perhaps describe in a little more detail what the Shunyata brought to the table, besides "minutiae" (which I assume means detail retrieval?)? What is the "goodness" you are hearing, if you don't mind sharing? It would be very helpful to me personally as I contemplate which BNC cables to get for my combo. Cheers (Also has your dealer given you a firm date for the TT2 to arrive?)