IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

1 hour ago, mansr said:

@Jud, IIRC you have an iFi micro DAC capable of 705.6 kHz playback. Perhaps you'd like to try these files too.

From this I get the impression that if I'd like to touch at least one of these files as little as possible with the filtering run by my software and hardware at home, I should use x2 rather than maximum upsampling.  Perhaps all of it will be subject to the modulator settings in that software, perhaps some of it won't.

I have always heard that initial filtering was most important.  But I wish I knew more about interactions among the various filters and modulators used at different stages of processing.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

From this I get the impression that if I'd like to touch at least one of these files as little as possible with the filtering run by my software and hardware at home, I should use x2 rather than maximum upsampling.  Perhaps all of it will be subject to the modulator settings in that software, perhaps some of it won't.

I have always heard that initial filtering was most important.  But I wish I knew more about interactions among the various filters and modulators used at different stages of processing.

These files are upsampled 16x (to 705.6 kHz) from the CD rip. The idea is to send them directly to the DAC with no software processing.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

These files are upsampled 16x (to 705.6 kHz) from the CD rip. The idea is to send them directly to the DAC with no software processing.

What if the modulator in the DAC isn't as good as the ones available in software, or don't you think it will make a difference?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

What if the modulator in the DAC isn't as good as the ones available in software, or don't you think it will make a difference?

You could try both and find out. To anyone reporting on these files, please specify your DAC and if you're using any software processing.

3 hours ago, mansr said:

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/C4cQeYDZ06myC1lYo6Qfbo69HbHtc1RHpgZObGLhv5D

There's the original file and 12 different upsampled versions. Give them a listen and send me your impressions in a PM. I'll post them in public once a few people have had a chance to respond.

Just out of curiosity. did you upsample 12 files with HQPlayer or what?

@mansr too many files. My brain hurts ?

I was hoping for 2, maybe 3 files max.

Can you do the reveal after this weekend, say Monday? To give us (me) time when not so stressed, to have a listen and make notes?

I'm playing bit perfectly via Roon to a Chord Hugo2 btw.. So I'll be comparing your files to the WTA 1 filter (his first stage filter that up-samples to PCM705/768kHz)

5 hours ago, mansr said:

Here's the link:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/clouddrive/share/C4cQeYDZ06myC1lYo6Qfbo69HbHtc1RHpgZObGLhv5D

There's the original file and 12 different upsampled versions. Give them a listen and send me your impressions in a PM. I'll post them in public once a few people have had a chance to respond.

Thank you for doing this!  Very interested in the effects of digital filtering / upsampling and I have a couple of iFi DACs capable of supporting the testing.  Will take a listen :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Here's the link:

Could you explain why so many versions are necessary? 12 makes for a really daunting test. Any way you can limit the test to what you consider the best 3, say?

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Could you explain why so many versions are necessary? 12 makes for a really daunting test. Any way you can limit the test to what you consider the best 3, say?

I wanted to get a good mix of filter lengths and design strategies. I'd rather not say which I consider "best." If you don't want to listen to all the files, feel free to pick a subset at random. Or how about all the even-numbered ones? I'm not expecting anyone to do an in-depth review of each file. (Is that even possible?) I'm more interested in any immediate reactions you might have. If you can't hear any obvious differences, that's useful information too.

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

I wanted to get a good mix of filter lengths and design strategies. I'd rather not say which I consider "best." If you don't want to listen to all the files, feel free to pick a subset at random. Or how about all the even-numbered ones? I'm not expecting anyone to do an in-depth review of each file. (Is that even possible?) I'm more interested in any immediate reactions you might have. If you can't hear any obvious differences, that's useful information too.

OK thanks.

13 minutes ago, darkless said:

I plan on listening to your test files during the weekend using my DAVE.

Cool. To everyone taking part in this test, while I don't want to make it too formal, it would be great if you could report a few things for comparison:

• Which filter(s) you prefer.
  • Which is most similar to your DACs native filter.
  • Any filters you dislike, and why.

Thanks for listening.

Building a new PC - very much hoping to get some time to put it together and have it running so I can download and listen to the files at some point during the weekend.

On 8/10/2018 at 1:28 PM, mansr said:

Cool. To everyone taking part in this test, while I don't want to make it too formal, it would be great if you could report a few things for comparison:

• Which filter(s) you prefer.
  • Which is most similar to your DACs native filter.
  • Any filters you dislike, and why.

Thanks for listening.

Unfortunately my weekend listening plans were cancelled due to a change of family plans. Feel free to publish the results at your leisure.

I will try to download the files tonight so that I may be ready in case another listening opportunity presents itself. 

12 minutes ago, darkless said:

Unfortunately my weekend listening plans were cancelled due to a change of family plans. Feel free to publish the results at your leisure.

I will try to download the files tonight so that I may be ready in case another listening opportunity presents itself. 

I won't be revealing anything for another day or two. Whenever you do have time for a listen, please report your impressions, even if by then you've seen what others had to say.

4 hours ago, mav52 said:

Its typical , yes the thread should be closed and the other topics taken up in their own thread. 

Hopefully there will be some relevant posts once the Hugo M-Scalers begin shipping.  I will be buying one at some point.  

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256