IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

2 minutes ago, Indydan said:

If I had no choice, I would subscribe to Spotify. The Naim app on my Naim streamer has Spotify integrated (but not as user friendly as TIDAL). 

I wish amazon would support flac...they have the bandwidth and resources and "could" be a contender if they had the right people to improve on it.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

And yet Netflix manages to turn a profit while charging less than $10 a month.

Movies and TV shows have multiple revenue streams. A movie has usually made money in theatres and in rentals before ending up on Netflix. Netflix allows movies and TV shows to increase their revenues, once the other platforms have exhausted their revenues.

New albums appear on TIDAL usually the same day as the for sale versions. TIDAL shifts revenues from sales to streaming, rather than adding a revenue stream. 

25 minutes ago, crenca said:

That's the thing, for streaming to be viable in the long term, we will probably have to pay at least double this, maybe even triple. 

+1. I feel I'm paying a fair price for Qobuz Sublime+ and getting a Hi-Res catalog ten times the size of Tidal Masters. I don't hear a difference between the two, and prefer the Qobuz catalog and presentation.

Speaking of the "refreshing eclecticism" that "stands Qobuz apart from its more mainstream rivals" (What Hi-Fi?) I spend more time listening to the Radio Paradise FLAC stream than I devote to any of the big streaming services. SomaFM too.

I could live without Tidal. Nature abhors a vacuum, and something will take its place.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

13 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

since you got your answer, share your spreadsheet...would love to see it (wink).

I did it and made the xls file it exports, but two different office programs said it was an unsupported file. So something is wrong with it. I'll go back to Roon.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

10 minutes ago, speavler said:

I dunno how that'd work since AMZN includes their streaming services in their annual prime subscription, which is half of what i pay tidal a year...

they only include a "subset" of their music streaming service with prime...you have to pay for their full music streaming service....i know they could make it work, and in time i bet they do....they just don't have the right people and right mentality "yet".

18 minutes ago, Indydan said:

Movies and TV shows have multiple revenue streams. A movie has usually made money in theatres and in rentals before ending up on Netflix. Netflix allows movies and TV shows to increase their revenues, once the other platforms have exhausted their revenues.

Netflix also produces a lot of own content, some of it with quite substantial budgets.

18 minutes ago, Indydan said:

New albums appear on TIDAL usually the same day as the for sale versions.

That's because streaming is the primary release channel these days. Nobody goes to record stores any more.

9 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

they only include a "subset" of their music streaming service with prime...you have to pay for their full music streaming service....i know they could make it work, and in time i bet they do....they just don't have the right people and right mentality "yet".

well i do think the only way streaming continues long term is for more consolidation of the services.  i guess the real hope we should have is that Tidal can grow their subscriber base enough that they'll be a more attractive acquisition for an aapl or amzn. 

Just now, speavler said:

well i do think the only way streaming continues long term is for more consolidation of the services.  i guess the real hope we should have is that Tidal can grow their subscriber base enough that they'll be a more attractive acquisition for an aapl or amzn. 

Right now I'd bet more money on Sprint buying the rest of the company. And then running it into the ground.

12 minutes ago, left channel said:

Right now I'd bet more money on Sprint buying the rest of the company. And then running it into the ground.

I would bet not as right now Sprint is more worried about getting their merger with T-Mobile through the courts and approval from the regulators, than streaming music.  If that merger does happen,  T-Mobile CEO John Legere, will head the merged company, and he might feel a little different about supporting a losing streaming company,

The Truth Is Out There

2 minutes ago, mav52 said:

I would bet not as right now Sprint is more worried about getting their merger with T-Mobile through the courts and approval from the regulators, than streaming music.  If that merger does happen,  T-Mobile CEO John Legere, will head the merged company, and he might feel a little different about supporting a losing streaming company,

Good point. And the big T has its own streaming partnerships: https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/free-music-streaming

They stopped paying royalties to record companies around the same time they started streaming MQA? Maybe all the money now goes to MQA? ;)

I personally would have liked to see them first build sustainable streaming business on standard RedBook resolution before looking for more money sinks like MQA...

Spotify is not doing so great either, but likely because too few paying customers compared to the ones listening for free.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

10 minutes ago, Miska said:

I personally would have liked to see them first build sustainable streaming business on standard RedBook resolution before looking for more money sinks like MQA...

Maybe MQA was a Hail Mary for a doomed company.

15 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I watch movies once..why in the world would I want to own it?

the best art will repay multiple viewings - nonetheless, I still use the library for those

Maybe the key to music streaming is in videos?  If you think about Roon it is kinda close - you get visual input while listening...

1 minute ago, Ralf11 said:

the best art will repay multiple viewings - nonetheless, I still use the library for those

Maybe the key to music streaming is in videos?  If you think about Roon it is kinda close - you get visual input while listening...

Some movies..and if they are that important, the DVD or Blu Ray may warrant a purchase.

Not to mention the video streaming service actually produced high quality exclusive content. Daredevil on Netflix rocks.

Not sure what you mean by visuals and Roon...?

14 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

buy music...instead of renting it?

i would never allow others to control my content...

How does Tidal control your content?

Streaming is here to stay.  The old ways are out.  Most people I know use YouTube as their free music streaming source.

It is up to the record labels, musicians and streaming services to come up with financially viable solutions, not consumers. 

i absolutely love Tidal and I will be seriously bummed out if they go under, but I think discussion on them going out of business is way premature at this point.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

2 minutes ago, Blake said:

How does Tidal control your content?

Streaming is here to stay.  The old ways are out.  Most people I know use YouTube as their free music streaming source.

It is up to the record labels, musicians and streaming services to come up with financially viable solutions, not consumers. 

i absolutely love Tidal and I will be seriously bummed out if they go under, but I think discussion on them going out of business is way premature at this point.

I did not mean that Tidal or any streaming service controls your content, but if they disappear, or change the terms, or exclude certain artists, your library disappears or is severely impacted. Not for me.

The major labels should be streaming their own content and not going through third parties. They really Effed up in this regard.