Both Judy Collins - Yes

Van Morrison - Yes

Yes -   ?

Kate Bush - Yes

Steven Wilson - Yes

Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell - Yes

Joan Shelley - Yes

Jonatha Brooke - Site maintenance/inconclusive

Where I think you overrate the lack of qobuz catalog depth is 50's to 80's popular music.  The hit machine lacked streams of distribution in those days.  Thus extensive proliferation.  Compare that to the octillions of kids on bandcamp and minor labels on through the one hit wonders and daily digital releases by larger stars.  That is Tidal and their ever shifting waves of music. 

I have the sincerest of doubts you explored far below the surface with your example playlist on either site.  

Thanks very much for looking into that Rando. And I wasn't really trying to make the list as far reaching as I might have. Simply noting what I had just recently played to get an idea of things. I feel quite a bit better about Qobuz now. 

JC

14 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I won't repeat what Rando did, but I don't think they have Jonatha Brooke, the picture they have doesn't look like the Jonatha I know.

She will be here at The Dakota Jazz Club though.  Drive that R8 on out here!

Screen Shot 2018-09-12 at 11.02.28 AM.png

Doc, I would love to see Jonatha again live. I immediately pondered firing up the R8 for the trip, and pulled up her tour schedule to see when she would be in you're neck of the woods and discovered its literally only a week away.  I'm just not sure I can pull things together that quickly with some of whats happening at the moment. An already difficult, and serious family matter with an aging parent has suddenly worsened and then, I was told today that my overly demanding insurance company is suddenly threatening to cancel insurance on both of my cars by the 21'st if I don't meet some ridiculous conditions.

Otherwise the idea of catching the  amazing Jonatha live, trying out a Juicy Lucy, and doing a tour of the good driving roads in your area in the company of you and the Porsche along with my R8 sounds would seem like a brilliant idea. :(  I realize Jonatha  won't likely be back for some time, but for the chance to see an area I've never seen and experienced  before, and always wanted to, and do some spirited driving together, I would definitely like a rain check!

JC

7 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Doc, I would love to see Jonatha again live. I immediately pondered firing up the R8 for the trip, and pulled up her tour schedule to see when she would be in you're neck of the woods and discovered its literally only a week away.  I'm just not sure I can pull things together that quickly with some of whats happening at the moment. An already difficult, and serious family matter with an aging parent has suddenly worsened and then, I was told today that my overly demanding insurance company is suddenly threatening to cancel insurance on both of my cars by the 21'st if I don't meet some ridiculous conditions.

Otherwise the idea of catching the  amazing Jonatha live, trying out a Juicy Lucy, and doing a tour of the good driving roads in your area in the company of you and the Porsche along with my R8 sounds would seem like a brilliant idea. :(  I realize Jonatha  won't likely be back for some time, but for the chance to see an area I've never seen and experienced  before, and always wanted to, and do some spirited driving together, I would definitely like a rain check!

JC

That would be fun for sure!  She has been here 3 times over the course of a year.  The likelihood she'll be back is pretty good.  That said, it will be too late for a spirited drive, but Michigan plays Ohio at home in the Big House on November 24th.  I would really like to see that game!

edit: no they don't they play at that school down south everyone hates.  I'll have to pick another.

No electron left behind.

22 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

That would be fun for sure!  She has been here 3 times over the course of a year.  The likelihood she'll be back is pretty good.  That said, it will be too late for a spirited drive, but Michigan plays Ohio at home in the Big House on November 24th.  I would really like to see that game!

edit: no they don't they play at that school down south everyone hates.  I'll have to pick another.

You could come watch it on TV in much nicer weather.  :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@TubeLover@AudioDoctor etc : Try putting record labels in 'search' like Rhino, Bear Family, Columbia Legacy etc and see how extensive Qobuz is as well putting 'covers' for whatever artists you want and see what comes up-I found Barb Jungr that way and her covers of Dylan Waits Cohen and others plus bizarre groups(belgium) like Won-Ton-Ton and Bea Vander Maat- and I also think Qobuz sounds 'better' er... sorry Jud 'nicer' overall than TIDAL desktop app but even better with A+3 altho TIDAL sounds improved with ROON

bobbmd

11 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Thanks very much for looking into that Rando. And I wasn't really trying to make the list as far reaching as I might have. Simply noting what I had just recently played to get an idea of things. I feel quite a bit better about Qobuz now. 

JC

You are certainly welcome so long as I wasn't intruding.  Happened to be up and, having an idea what Dr's hours are like, took the initiative. 

On the classical side there is much less doubt surrounding their sensitivity to the pulse of their listeners.  The concerning factor is how lost in translation will Western music translated through European tastes and then back into Western ears sound on the other end.  I'm fairly satisfied with the answer this prodded me into finding.  Established bands, now living off the proceeds, had a head start on preparing their catalogs for this eventuality.

I have encountered a number of albums on Qobuz which I can't find on Tidal, but I suspect that is because I am streaming from outside the US and encountering regional restrictions. If that is the case, I wish Tidal would say so, rather than hiding the album.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

47 minutes ago, Snowmonkey said:

which I can't find on Tidal, but I suspect that is because I am streaming from outside the US and encountering regional restrictions. If that is the case, I wish Tidal would say so, rather than hiding the album.

Yes, that is quite annoying.

If you have a few I could try from here, I'd be happy to do so. In that case, try to list the artist and / or album title literally, because that is how search in Tidal works (one typo and it's a no-go).

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

5 hours ago, PeterSt said:

If you have a few I could try from here

All right, never mind. I read it all upside down.

Btw, Tidal is from Europe, not from the US.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2018 at 5:40 PM, mav52 said:

But if the artist do not get paid, or make any money while making music, why would they even consider staying in the business.  After all NO music by artist equals NO labels to support the artist. Then its a repeat of playing old tunes forever that the labels maintain. 

So the the likes of Simon Cowell keep telling us, and yet music keeps getting made!

And last time I looked Simon Cowell wasn’t short of a few bob. 

Perhaps if there were less Simon Cowells in the business there would be more money for actual artists. And funnily enough as there is less big money sloshing around the music business, then we have less sponging suits. Ironically that means less corporate interest and thus better quality music.

The real shame is that YouTube decided to stop funding content and keep the cash for themselves. YouTube used to be a great way for artists to shortcut the Simon Cowells of this world. Heard of Justin Bieber?

And last time I checked it cost a lot more to make a movie than record a song yet Netflix do ok?

14 hours ago, SuperAudioBlackHole said:

And last time I checked it cost a lot more to make a movie than record a song yet Netflix do ok?

The Netflix model currently consists of making a lot of their own content fairly cheaply to go along with streaming rights to movies, and many of the latter aren't big budget affairs.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

18 hours ago, Jud said:

The Netflix model currently consists of making a lot of their own content fairly cheaply to go along with streaming rights to movies, and many of the latter aren't big budget affairs.

Jud,

Agreed that many of the movies Netflix offers aren't exactly high budget gems, but it's my understanding that quite a few of the more significant series they have developed on their own, are done with virtually full blown Hollywood budgets (House of Cards, The Crown, Narcos, etc.)

Amazon Prime has also shown signs of producing quite high end entertainment with shows like the recent Jack Ryan, Mozart In The Jungle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, etc.. 

JC

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

Jud,

Agreed that many of the movies Netflix offers aren't exactly high budget gems, but it's my understanding that quite a few of the more significant series they have developed on their own, are done with virtually full blown Hollywood budgets (House of Cards, The Crown, Narcos, etc.)

Amazon Prime has also shown signs of producing quite high end entertainment with shows like the recent Jack Ryan, Mozart In The Jungle, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, etc.. 

JC

They do have some higher budget stuff.  But see recent news reports of distress that HBO's new head wants to move to more of a "Netflix model," supporting a few higher budget productions with lots of lower budget ones. 

Just to relate this back to audio streaming services: The subscription numbers are lower for audio, but the real difference is content numbers.  Netflix had 4038 movies available as of September, and approximately 80 series.  According to What Hi-Fi, Qobuz, not one of the larger services, has (in England) 70,000 hi res albums and "40 million CD quality FLACs" (I am supposing these are tracks).

4 hours ago, Jud said:

According to What Hi-Fi, Qobuz, not one of the larger services, has (in England) 70,000 hi res albums and "40 million CD quality FLACs" (I am supposing these are tracks).

They now claim "130,000 albums (about 2 million tracks) in high resolution". Last year it was 1 million Hi-Res tracks. The 40 million figure for CD-quality tracks is still current. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Last time I checked, Tidal also offered about 40 million tracks in CD-quality, but only a bit over 100,000 "Masters" tracks.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

59 minutes ago, left channel said:

They now claim "130,000 albums (about 2 million tracks) in high resolution". Last year it was 1 million Hi-Res tracks. The 40 million figure for CD-quality tracks is still current. https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Last time I checked, Tidal also offered about 40 million tracks in CD-quality, but only a bit over 100,000 "Masters" tracks.

I'm certainly going to ask questions about the actual numbers of CD quality and Hi-Res tracks. Whether the Hi-Res are real is another question.

Just now, SuperAudioBlackHole said:

Unfortuantely I suspect Spotify will eventually be the only player left in the game, which would be awful. Not just because the audio quality of Spotify (even the high quality streams) is AWFULl!!

Unlikely Apple Music is bigger in the United States and has deeper pockets. Not to mention Alphabet.

I've never heard a complaint about Spotify sound quality on a golf course.

I've had all three services:

Listening to Apple music is like the Maxel advert, At first it sounds nice, but after a while it starts to grate. Also they are obviously tweeking the top and the bottom so the mid ends up sounding confused and hollow.

Spotify is the polar opposit, it's like they've "analogue'd" the sound. It's very warm and tubey. But unfortunately where tubes have an amazing mid, Spotify leaves it sounding dull and uninteresting.

Tidal is the only service where I have not been able to determine a noticable difference between what's streamed and what's on a CD.

Although I will admit that since my VRDS died I've not had a decent CD transport.