IGNORED

How To Cope If Tidal Does Go Under?

Random thoughts.

Deezer is available in the US now and they offer a lossless tier. I don't believe I have seen them mentioned as an option. Apologies if it has.

For me Tidal does 2 things.

1. It provides access to lossless music. 

2. It integrates with Roon

Roon integration is the more important of the two for me as I have a multi zoned, dsp'd, room corrected system throughout my house that runs on Roon. I also admit that I have a very hard time hearing the difference between 320kbps and lossless no matter how much resolving power the system has. At least in short term A/B.

What I would say for those of you who have not used Spotify recently is that you will likely be blown away by how good of an experience it offers. The search functionality blows both pure Tidal and Roon away. Discovery blows both away. Radio blows both away. 

I worry more about the impact losing Tidal has on Roon than anything else. 

4 minutes ago, lesanderson said:

Random thoughts.

Deezer is available in the US now and they offer a lossless tier. I don't believe I have seen them mentioned as an option. Apologies if it has.

For me Tidal does 2 things.

1. It provides access to lossless music. 

2. It integrates with Roon

Roon integration is the more important of the two for me as I have a multi zoned, dsp'd, room corrected system throughout my house that runs on Roon. I also admit that I have a very hard time hearing the difference between 320kbps and lossless no matter how much resolving power the system has. At least in short term A/B.

What I would say for those of you who have not used Spotify recently is that you will likely be blown away by how good of an experience it offers. The search functionality blows both pure Tidal and Roon away. Discovery blows both away. Radio blows both away. 

I worry more about the impact losing Tidal has on Roon than anything else. 

i just don’t understand linking the Roon experience to Tidal...

Because I own a relatively small library and am a believer in streaming not owning. Music discovery is where my enjoyment comes from, so being tied to a local library doesn't work for me. I use Roon for incorporating different technologies into a single house wide system. I use Roon for parametric eq in 2 zones which make these systems much more enjoyable, I use Roon for dsp and src in several zones, both for downsamping to an ATV and to support s dsd only dac. I use Roon to screw around with hqplayer and try crazy shit.

I don't use Roon for metadata and to organize a huge local library. I like Roon because it can do it all. Without Tidal, it becomes an island that is closed off to tens of millions of songs

8 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

i just don’t understand linking the Roon experience to Tidal...

2 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

no..i think reports of their demise are...well.. you know,

they are not folding, if that happens it will be well down the road..

I hope you are right. But reports starting last year started to point at them running out of runway this year and now these stories seem to make them toxic.

Just now, Brinkman Ship said:

no..i think reports of their demise are...well.. you know,

they are not folding, if that happens it will be well down the road..

Police investigations in Norway, audits in Denmark, violating contracts with labels, not paying bills and no cash. Sounds like blueprint for Tidal to close up shop to me.

6 minutes ago, lesanderson said:

Because I own a relatively small library and am a believer in streaming not owning. Music discovery is where my enjoyment comes from, so being tied to a local library doesn't work for me. I use Roon for incorporating different technologies into a single house wide system. I use Roon for parametric eq in 2 zones which make these systems much more enjoyable, I use Roon for dsp and src in several zones, both for downsamping to an ATV and to support s dsd only dac. I use Roon to screw around with hqplayer and try crazy shit.

I don't use Roon for metadata and to organize a huge local library. I like Roon because it can do it all. Without Tidal, it becomes an island that is closed off to tens of millions of songs

I will be honest with you, Tidal appeals MOST to those who have not invested in a digital library. 

I get the impression that many saw Tidal as a way to get into computer audio on the cheap..but like all things too good to be true...

I cannot imagine a large, carefully curated local library. But that is just me.  Tidal and similar are like water..and water can evaporate when conditions change.

1 minute ago, Rt66indierock said:

Police investigations in Norway, audits in Denmark, violating contracts with labels, not paying bills and no cash. Sounds like blueprint for Tidal to close up shop to me.

I'm not convinced.....Tesla stays on open and it has had more misteps than three legged gymnast.

2 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I will be honest with you, Tidal appeals MOST to those who have not invested in a digital library. 

I get the impression that many saw Tidal as a way to get into computer audio on the cheap..but like all things too good to be true...

I cannot imagine a large, carefully curated local library. But that is just me.  Tidal and similar are like water..and water can evaporate when conditions change.

It is not a big deal to switch from one service to another if you just listen to albums.  I've done it twice now MOG to Rdio to Deezer.

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

I've listened carefully to the marketing of Roon it always involves Tidal.

That's because it's the only music streaming service integrated with Roon.

It's no secret on the Roon forums that Roon have approached and continue to approach other streaming services for integration. Some have flat out rejected Roon in the past (Spotify) and others continue to be in discussions but nothing more than discussions has been confirmed, for now.

Just now, Em2016 said:

That's because it's the only music streaming service integrated with Roon.

It's no secret on the Roon forums that Roon have approached and continue to approach other streaming services for integration. Some have flat out rejected Roon in the past (Spotify) and others continue to be in discussions but nothing more than discussions has been confirmed, for now.

So what are they going to do? What is plan b or c when everybody knows you have to make a deal?

25 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

So what are they going to do? What is plan b or c when everybody knows you have to make a deal?

Keep trying... just because they don't talk about it publicly doesn't mean the Roon guys haven't been trying to add a 2nd streaming service, in the background... from the very beginning, not only when all this Tidal controversy popped up.

I'll probably buy the recordings that mean to the most to me in my Tidal favorites.   Which reminds me that I should make a list. 

And I'll probably try Spotify.  Is it really that bad sounding?  I think 320 kbps could sound pretty good, but I've heard people say that Spotify  "must do something else" to degrade the stream.  Hmmm...

11 hours ago, left channel said:

+1. I feel I'm paying a fair price for Qobuz Sublime+ and getting a Hi-Res catalog ten times the size of Tidal Masters. I don't hear a difference between the two, and prefer the Qobuz catalog and presentation.

The fact that Qubuzz has repeatedly been unable to provide its service to the United States makes me think they have either technical issues that a well managed company would not have, or they are incompetent. Once you have already marketed a working, viable product, failure to offer it to other markets indicates either a lack of initiative to do so, or the inability to do so, meaning poor planning, management, and incompetence.

JC

1 hour ago, Rt66indierock said:

I agree with some of the others that they will probably have to compromise a bit on the UI integration in order to get another service. Maybe something like streaming results get integrated into playback and radio function, but to see them you have to click first on the tab for the streamer. Deezer already has a Redbook streaming service, so they would seen a natural partner. Qobuz needs more members, so maybe them.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 hours ago, PeterG said:

I hope they do go under.  The music streaming businesses (Tidal, Spotify, YouTube, Amazon, etc) have used the low cost of capital created by internet euphoria to deliver music at prices which are too low to sustain their businesses, and they have used their market power to drive down the price people are willing to pay for music in general.  It's been rational for many of them to do so because they are rewarded with huge stock prices and/or internet traffic that generates profit in other ways, such as Amazon Prime Memberships or Google ads.

The problem with all of this is that it sucks the profit out of the music industry in the same way that the internet sucked the profit out of the newspaper industry, bookstores, etc....

So what to do?  Make a list of the stuff you're enjoying on Tidal, and then buy the CDs from Amazon or downloads from HD Tracks.  Basically, pay an actual market-based price for the music you enjoy

I buy at least 6-8 cd's a month based on what I hear on Tidal. In other circumstances, when listening to Tidal, I might choose to hear the entire catalog from, say, Van Morrison, or all the live releases from someone else. No one owns everything and all they might want to hear.  I have over 3,500 cd's that I've bought and paid for, not a single copy. 

To replace the total music I listen to on Tidal would cost me a fortune. Apparently you are wealthy enough to do so, to make such pronouncements. I suspect few of the rest of us are. 

JC

There are many Tidal type streaming services but only one Roon. So to differentiate, Tidal should secure this by buying Roon.

The new "Tidoon" software should then be integrated as a single package with music subscription compulsory. Free software licence for single users and a small free for embedded hardware devices.

Furthermore, Tidoon should offer a click beside the music to purchase the CD. Seamless and easy, total streaming and purchase package.

Tidal will increase their base overnight many times over.

Kin